Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

And Spain!?

Is the Spanish psyche less anti British and more pragmatic?

I get jabbed tomorrow. I didn’t forsee this “too healthy” quandary. Irony irony irony.
After 9 weeks of being limited to city and then local county limits (which unfortunately for those of us who live in Barcelona is virtually the same), as of Monday we can travel within our local autonomous region (Catalunya in my case), so I'll be in the Pyrenees skiing next week, van in campground. Worryingly, this is happening just as Italy and France are going into new lockdowns, so we'll see how long it lasts. We are not currently allowed to cross regional or international borders, and as has been mentioned before, being vaccinated does not guarantee that you can't spread the virus if you become infected, even if you have no symptoms, so I assume all will depend on how vaccinations proceed and how the vaccinations react to new variants. I have reservations on a ferry from Denmark to Norway at the end of July rescheduled from last year, but am not at all sure that I'll be allowed to go.

"The fact that you may have protection from serious illness with the virus doesn’t mean you cannot catch it and infect others, although transmission is reduced after vaccination it is not 0%."

Last edited:
Can’t comment on the Cornish ....

fb and forums for north Wales are a lot more aggressive !

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/travel-pundit-who-suggested-wales-

Travel writer Simon Calder has 'no further plans' to visit Wales after abuse https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54476576
Well they do have Merseyside to contend with.

The rules will probably dictate whether we go.
Last summer in a restaurant en France some chap seemed to be attempting to ridicule what he perceived as the arrogant Brexitting Brit. It was an unpleasant experience and directed at entirely the wrong family.
The British press’ constant gloating two fingers at the EU - yesterday Von de Leyen was on the front page of 4 newspapers - can easily upset our neighbours and make collateral damage of quiet remainers wanting to enjoy our holiday.
And why do you think she was on the Front Page, not only here but on the Continent?
Thank God we got out when we did, or you wouldn't be having your Vaccination any time soon.

Can’t comment on the Cornish ....

fb and forums for north Wales are a lot more aggressive !

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/travel-pundit-who-suggested-wales-

Travel writer Simon Calder has 'no further plans' to visit Wales after abuse https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54476576

This will be the same Simon Calder who advised in his BBC Radio slot last March that even though the Rugby was cancelled it was a shame to waste the tickets as it would be nice and quiet in Rome.

I recall it well as it was one of the daftest pieces of travel advice I’d ever heard.

He didn’t seem to get it that traveling to Italy was the issue.

Mike

Last edited:
I really don't get why anyone would go abroad any time soon. The pandemic is still here and new hotspots popping up all over the Continent. Much safer for everyone to saty in the UK.
Totally agree cant say it would be great to go abroad in the van as like all we have been waiting a while.
However those that do travel abroad and now we are out of lockdown how many of you and your families will fully quarantine ie 10 days on your return.

Can you not plan time in the UK and put money back into our economy.

To be honest France is largely what our van is for. 2 weeks of camping bliss every summer. Our kids are 7 and 10. Last year was one of our best holidays and we’ve been doing this in our Cali since 2009. Very possibly because we had been home schooling for 15 weeks. Outside felt safe. Swimming pools were bliss.
We often like a week at Roundhill and do weekends with friends in the Uk but our annual summer holiday is the best.
On one level last year felt crazy, the fact that we were allowed to go. I think when we quarantined there was a 0.05% chance we had the virus, but we followed the rules. This year feels different but also the same. I suspect that if we are allowed, we’ll go.
Sun and swimming aren’t the same here.

To be honest France is largely what our van is for. 2 weeks of camping bliss every summer. Our kids are 7 and 10. Last year was one of our best holidays and we’ve been doing this in our Cali since 2009. Very possibly because we had been home schooling for 15 weeks. Outside felt safe. Swimming pools were bliss.
We often like a week at Roundhill and do weekends with friends in the Uk but our annual summer holiday is the best.
On one level last year felt crazy, the fact that we were allowed to go. I think when we quarantined there was a 0.05% chance we had the virus, but we followed the rules. This year feels different but also the same. I suspect that if we are allowed, we’ll go.
Sun and swimming aren’t the same here.
Agree entirely.
And the best of it is, if we are allowed to travel to France, then most “ holier than thou” types will still be in the UK ....

What a strange comment -
Yet Happy enough to take:
A our money
B use our crit care beds
Oh those Critical Care Beds funded by the Welsh NHS?

Oh those Critical Care Beds funded by the Welsh NHS?
Not many welsh speaking nurses or crit care consultants manning the vents on the ones I’m coming across in “ merseyside “ ....

Not many welsh speaking nurses or crit care consultants manning the vents on the ones I’m coming across in “ merseyside “ ....
If you're paying for a service why would you have to staff it as well?

I won’t entertain a trip to the continent this year. Same as last year. It’s not the right time and after this last 6 months we have just had to endure, it’s nothing short of selfish and irresponsible...

Hopefully the government steps in and holds a ban on all non essential overseas travel this year. Although I won’t hold my breath.
I feel we are at a crucial crosspoint these coming months and could pave the path of what Autumn/Winter 2021 will look like.

I for one won’t be part of the stupidity (sorry if that offends) we have so much on offer within this Island.
As much as I love getting over to the alps, it will still be there when I decide it’s safe to return...

Yep, the continent is off the list for us this year as well. Just don’t think it’s the right thing to be doing at the moment, not until some resilience is built in to the system. Really hoping we can get back over for some skiing next season but not confident enough to book anything yet.

I won’t entertain a trip to the continent this year. Same as last year. It’s not the right time and after this last 6 months we have just had to endure, it’s nothing short of selfish and irresponsible...

Hopefully the government steps in and holds a ban on all non essential overseas travel this year. Although I won’t hold my breath.
I feel we are at a crucial crosspoint these coming months and could pave the path of what Autumn/Winter 2021 will look like.

I for one won’t be part of the stupidity (sorry if that offends) we have so much on offer within this Island.
As much as I love getting over to the alps, it will still be there when I decide it’s safe to return...
No offence taken as our intention is to go to France via the tunnel and camp in the back garden of my son in law then do what we do here and not be mixing with anyone. The mental health of my partner who is desperate to mix with her 2 grandchildren is important and in this case we won’t be bringing any risk to ourselves or anyone else. I doubt this qualifies as essential travel but it certainly feels that way.
Other than that I’m with you - any real touring/holidaying in Europe this year wouldn’t feel right

And why do you think she was on the Front Page, not only here but on the Continent?
Thank God we got out when we did, or you wouldn't be having your Vaccination any time soon.
Your 2nd point hadnt crossed my mind until reading & yes how true.

I for one will be going to France on the first legal opportunity.
This will involve the UK travel guidelines plus the French ones.
I can and will in effect be more isolated than 'normal' holiday makers as I have a Home to go to there and will be trying to get order back into what will be by then a very neglected and overgrown garden.

It was interesting to see how quickly the EU no borders policy sprang back up on a Nation by Nation basis but then the UK was no different with our 4 nations doing a similar thing.

Also the new post Brexit inability to take food into France has made the Cali fridge redundant as a 2 or 3 day fresh food and milk supply store.

I value all your opinions. Thank you

My first question to the people saying “I wouldn’t consider it this year” is “did you go last year?”
Are there people who went last year who won’t go this year?

My first question to the people saying “I wouldn’t consider it this year” is “did you go last year?”
Are there people who went last year who won’t go this year?
Yes us.

We felt similar to you last year; after months of home schooling and lockdown we were determined make the most of being able to get away and for things to be as "normal" as possible over the summer for the kids. We did cut our trip short so they didn't miss too much school for the quarantine so instead of doing a round trip via the French Pyrenees and then back up the West coast via several stop offs (inc. Il De Re) we just hot-footed it to the French Pyrenees and broke the journey on the way back. Hence our supposed trip to the West Coast this year.

We did enjoy it and are really glad we went - but we did find it stressful staying on busy campsites without enough hand gel use, cleaning, social distancing for our liking. Also we had an incident where a French woman got REALLY aggressive with my 10 year old daughter and that was horrible. Basically she had gone to the loo and this woman was trying to wrench to door open, to which my daughter said "There's someone in here" and then when she came out she got right in her face and was shouting at her apparently about not wearing a mask. France has the same rules as us (under 11's exempt and my daughter is little for her age and did not look 11). I think this probably wouldn't happened had it not been for covid and I have to be honest, I think it was because she was English as well. The woman was clearly demented but had it not been for general elevated stress levels at the moment I do wonder if that would have happened.

Anyway, we just want to stay in the UK this year and not take the risk of that sort of stress. Plus we have decided we don't think travelling abroad this year with the lack of vaccines on the continent and therefore a higher risk of bringing back variants is sensible.

Last edited: