Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

Is anyone getting concerned about any summer trips to France? France is about to enter another major lockdown. Are they really going to allow visitors? My other more subtle concern is the constant ramping up of the vaccine arguments. We’ve got all the Astra Zeneca, and we’re so far ahead I wonder if that will cause resentment. At the current rate France will have vaccinated all adults by March 2023 apparently. I’m also told the British are currently particularly disliked not because of our success with vaccines but because “the Kent strain” is seen as the cause of the recent problems.
We are booked to go at the start of August for two weeks. I don’t fancy going anywhere if we are actively disliked.

We got 2 fabulous weeks in France in August in 2020. We had been home schooling our two young kids and it was an amazing escape and reset for the rest of the year.

We have tunnel bookings but also a ferry single to Santander, deferred from last year. I’m tempted to spend 10 days in Spain and then dash back through France.
The French don’t actively dislike the British anymore than the British may dislike the French. The vast majority of people everywhere are good amicable people.. there will always be a minority of idiots everywhere that dislike one group or another... please let us not buy into the ‘populist’ rhetoric that seeks to divide.

So, I will need to return to the UK to sort out a property sale. This will involve a drive from Switzerland, across France, and use of the Chunnel. Flying is not an option, nor desired. I have read up on the situation as far as possible, and contacted the UK Consular service who did not help greatly to be honest, but did provide me all the links I had already read.

For anyone who might be interested, and clearly this is subject to change, here is the plan. Note that "Day 0" is the travel day.

Day -2: get PCR test in Switzerland (CH) which will be within 3 days of UK arrival. Book PCR tests in UK (for Day 2 & Day 8). Fill in UK "Passenger Locator Form". Fill in French declaration form.
Day -1: assuming negative test results, pack the van (not much required).
Day 0: exit CH to France (FR). Show negative test results. Show FR form if required. Transit FR, stopping only for rest and not using facilities (self contained in van). Arrive Eurotunnel. Present test results, and locator form, etc. Cross into UK and proceed to destination. All this can be done in one day as we did it many times. Crossing FR is about 8 - 10 hours and will be done in the non-curfew period. From Folkstone to destination is 2.5h.
Day 1: rest a bit, and start to pack up & organise contents of the house. Luckily not too much stuff!
Day 2: expect to get first PCR test. Continue packing etc.
Day 3: return to CH via FR and Eurotunnel. This will involve any UK forms for exit, presenting Day 2 negative test results (since that was done inside 3 days), showing and forms to entry to FR. Transite FR during non-curfew. Entering CH is simple as we are residents. Declare any items we are brining in and pay VAT for import.

I understand we are allowed to leave quarantine for the purposes of the return journey, otherwise we'd be kicking around in the UK for 10 days doing nothing, and then maybe have to get another test prior to return. Already the whole testing is going to be north of £500 and likely closer to £800 for just the two of us. Also, both of us will have been vaccinated by the time of the travel. Eurotunnel is charging £100 more than they used to for such a trip.

So bascially we need to
- test before we leave
- fill in UK forms
- fill in French forms
- test on Day 2 in UK, and use that result for return travel
- skip Day 8 test and return on Day 3 instead
- quarantine in the UK for the whole time
- avoid using facilities in FR or UK during the journey

It's a big hassle.

Austria annouced free testing for visitors yesterday.
Austrian Lakes Salzgammerhut is outstanding. Campsites invariably immaculate.

So, I will need to return to the UK to sort out a property sale.

When are you looking to travel? after the 17th May Uk rules are expected to ease.
I would anticipate you will still need the testing prior to entering UK but may not need to isolate when you get here.

When are you looking to travel? after the 17th May Uk rules are expected to ease.
I would anticipate you will still need the testing prior to entering UK but may not need to isolate when you get here.
Yes likely after 17 May but hopefully before 30 June. I also anticipate needing the test (also France will require it I'm sure). We are watching in case we don't need to isolate, but assume the worse.

The other topic is about what can we bring back. We have a load of stuff in the freezer like bacon and sausages, but it would seem this is not a good idea to cross into France with. We would stick to customs limits for entering CH, but if we can't even transit France then no point. We will simply have to gorge on sausages, roast pork and lamb, and bacon for the few days we are in the UK - could be worse!

Yes likely after 17 May but hopefully before 30 June. I also anticipate needing the test (also France will require it I'm sure). We are watching in case we don't need to isolate, but assume the worse.

The other topic is about what can we bring back. We have a load of stuff in the freezer like bacon and sausages, but it would seem this is not a good idea to cross into France with. We would stick to customs limits for entering CH, but if we can't even transit France then no point. We will simply have to gorge on sausages, roast pork and lamb, and bacon for the few days we are in the UK - could be worse!
What a pain it all sounds!
I’d give the meat to a food bank. Little chance of getting that lot through French Customs if they scrutinise your van.

What a pain it all sounds!
I’d give the meat to a food bank. Little chance of getting that lot through French Customs if they scrutinise your van.

You could get a few slices of bacon in the void between the bed slats and cabin roof, maybe a steak or two too. A leg of pork might be more difficult, but there’s quite a big space under the driver’s seat. There’s also a handy void behind the sliding door picnic table for any cheese.

You could get a few slices of bacon in the void between the bed slats and cabin roof, maybe a steak or two too. A leg of pork might be more difficult, but there’s quite a big space under the driver’s seat. There’s also a handy void behind the sliding door picnic table for any cheese.
Water tank?

Or in an Ocean, to the R of the rear Leisure battery.

I have never heard of LFTs, no idea what they are. Wonder if they will be valid for the pass sanitaire? Says here that it needs to be a PCR or antigen test. Hoping to get up to see friends in Bordeaux over summer but I will not have a swab stuck up my nose ever again, even if it means staying at home for the rest of my life!
Full information.
Not 100% accurate but gives a guide. Begs the question of using if not reliable enough for Official recognition as to the result.

Full information.
Not 100% accurate but gives a guide. Begs the question of using if not reliable enough for Official recognition as to the result.

Their use is useful in Surveillance, picking up the Asymptomatic Carriers.
If you are Symptomatic then the Gold Standard PCR which has a turnaround time significantly greater than the 30min Lateral Flow Test.
Strictly speaking, anyone who has symptoms takes a PCR test and are taken out of circulation as they are supposed to immediately isolate themselves.
Asymptomatic cases, which account for 30% or so of cases go undetected but are spreading it.
The cheap/quick Lateral Flow test now being used routinely by many people, even though not as accurate, will pick up many +tve Asymptomatic cases. Backed up by a more accurate PCR it is reducing the number of Asymptomatic Carriers to 10% or so, thus reducing the number of carriers overall and reducing unwitting spread, IF people follow the guidance.
In the end it is all down to people doing the right thing.

I'm struggling to get Marmite here - my usual dealer won't send it to Europe now. If anyone fancies filling their water tank with it and smuggling it into Spain, I will pay handsomely...

I'm struggling to get Marmite here - my usual dealer won't send it to Europe now. If anyone fancies filling their water tank with it and smuggling it into Spain, I will pay handsomely...

Marmite shortage: Carlsberg steps in to combat lack of supplies by sending more tankers of brewer’s yeast to Unilever​

Marmite said it would only be able to sell 250g jars of the spread due to a shortage of yeast​

That’s worth knowing. I’m close to using the last of my stash of single-serving pots that I always pinch from hotels when in the uk!
image.jpg
Don’t be tempted. Twice the price but exactly the same taste

We would like to transit France for a UK visit but so far it seems like a distant dream... even if we had to quarantine for 10 days in UK that would work for us. Was wondering if July might be possible but now somehow I doubt it.

Since my original post back in March, we have agreed a sale on a property in the UK and now we need to get back to (UK) in order to clear it out and bring home some items.

Over the past weeks I have been reading up on the situation, and in touch with various UK agencies and PCR testing providers. It all appeared to be possible to transit France from Switzerland to UK, and then return from UK via France again.
The plan was:
1. get PCR test locally 2 days prior to travel in order to enter FR and UK with result a day later (Day -1)
2. travel to UK in a single day via Eurotunnel. (Day 0 - Saturday as that makes the next steps without a weekend between). Go into quarantine.
3. get Day 2 (Monday) PCR test in UK and post it back to arrive Day 3 (Tuesday) and get results in 24h on Day 4 (Wednesday)
4. Travel back in one day to CH on Day 5 (Thursday), using results of Day 2 test

Test and Trace UK NHS confirmed that Day 2 test is OK as Fit 2 Fly as long as the documents are good - and the testing company confirms they are the same. Also confirmed that if I don't do the Day 8 test due to leaving the country then I won't get fined!
However, we still have to buy the Day 2 & Day 8 kit, even though not using Day 8 test, as this is the legal entry requirement. But at least don't need the Fit 2 Fly test as Day 2 covers that.

So that all fine until LAST NIGHT!!!!

Now I need to find out if we are subject to the NEW RULES France just imposed on travellers from the UK starting Monday 31 May... i.e. PCR must be no older than 48 hours and must quarantine in hotel for 7 days...
Even the PCR age requirement makes it almost impossible to enter France as it takes about 48 hours from self-testing to get the results using the post. If you are in quarantine how are you allowed to go to a testing site, so post is really the only option?
I think we have a compelling reason to travel, certainly the return journey to get back to our place of residence cannot be argued. But the transit of France by car is NOT on the list of reasons you can travel outside the curfew (9pm - 6am) so we also need to judge the journey to fit.

Finally, we have received both doses of the jab and have certificates...

Let's see...

• Wow
Reactions: Sad
Since my original post back in March, we have agreed a sale on a property in the UK and now we need to get back to (UK) in order to clear it out and bring home some items.
My only suggestion would be to fly, rent a car & put anything you want to keep into a Big Yellow Storage facility or similar & come back and collect it when the rules are changed.

Is avoiding France & driving via Germany then ferry from Holland or Belgium feasible?