Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

My only suggestion would be to fly, rent a car & put anything you want to keep into a Big Yellow Storage facility or similar & come back and collect it when the rules are changed.

Is avoiding France & driving via Germany then ferry from Holland or Belgium feasible?
Hi Andy, Germany is not an option either (officially) as they too have banned UK arrivals. Not sure if it would be different driving from Belgium into Germany, but risky no doubt, especially as we have UK passports but CH residency. :Nailbiting

What you suggest is my Plan B. Maybe try not to rent a storage facility as even with a small amount of stuff that is something like £40 a week so it adds up fast! Maybe try to pull a favour from friends or relatives... So there's Plan B.1 and B.2 :)

Plan C is also to fly over but supervise a removal co pack it up and ship it back. It won't be more than a Cali's worth of stuff.

Plan D I guess is same as C but do it over zoom with a relative in the property making sure it's done right!

Interesting reading the responses to the tweet by the French Minister, many of the French people see this as a blatantly political rather than rational move, and have questions about their own ability to move back and forward for work as I am sure many of them still do. There are also questions posted as to a transit scenario like mine... no answers though.

Since my original post back in March, we have agreed a sale on a property in the UK and now we need to get back to (UK) in order to clear it out and bring home some items.

Over the past weeks I have been reading up on the situation, and in touch with various UK agencies and PCR testing providers. It all appeared to be possible to transit France from Switzerland to UK, and then return from UK via France again.
The plan was:
1. get PCR test locally 2 days prior to travel in order to enter FR and UK with result a day later (Day -1)
2. travel to UK in a single day via Eurotunnel. (Day 0 - Saturday as that makes the next steps without a weekend between). Go into quarantine.
3. get Day 2 (Monday) PCR test in UK and post it back to arrive Day 3 (Tuesday) and get results in 24h on Day 4 (Wednesday)
4. Travel back in one day to CH on Day 5 (Thursday), using results of Day 2 test

Test and Trace UK NHS confirmed that Day 2 test is OK as Fit 2 Fly as long as the documents are good - and the testing company confirms they are the same. Also confirmed that if I don't do the Day 8 test due to leaving the country then I won't get fined!
However, we still have to buy the Day 2 & Day 8 kit, even though not using Day 8 test, as this is the legal entry requirement. But at least don't need the Fit 2 Fly test as Day 2 covers that.

So that all fine until LAST NIGHT!!!!

Now I need to find out if we are subject to the NEW RULES France just imposed on travellers from the UK starting Monday 31 May... i.e. PCR must be no older than 48 hours and must quarantine in hotel for 7 days...
Even the PCR age requirement makes it almost impossible to enter France as it takes about 48 hours from self-testing to get the results using the post. If you are in quarantine how are you allowed to go to a testing site, so post is really the only option?
I think we have a compelling reason to travel, certainly the return journey to get back to our place of residence cannot be argued. But the transit of France by car is NOT on the list of reasons you can travel outside the curfew (9pm - 6am) so we also need to judge the journey to fit.

Finally, we have received both doses of the jab and have certificates...

Let's see...
Thanks for your update.

Truly an impossibility to travel and keep to the ever changing rules.

I've been looking at traveling to France and a problem that I found with postal tests was that Test Labs quoted return turn around was from when they received the sample not from when you actually posted it.
If Flying testing seems to be much simpler and 30 minute test to result available.

There is internal pressure on the French Government to get it 'sorted' by their Tourist Industry.
The French government's announcement will be a blow to parts of the beleaguered tourism industry, which is desperate for a return to normal business ahead of the peak summer season.

"It's reasonable in terms of saving the French summer but will be very punishing for those regions which depend on British holidaymakers," said Ge Kusters, owner of Le Paradis campsite in the Dordogne area and president of the regional campsite union. "More financial support is going to have to follow."

I've been looking at traveling to France and a problem that I found with postal tests was that Test Labs quoted return turn around was from when they received the sample not from when you actually posted it.

Exactly. This was the work I also did to figure into my timings. It meant that I could not arrive late in the week due to the delays in the postal delivery getting the sample back to the lab. So doing a test on Friday, Saturday or Sunday risked the results arriving back to me after the 72 hour window of validity for exit from UK. With a next day return of sample to lab, and the lab producing a result in 24h it was do-able if I did the test on Monday. But if the French window is reduced to 48h then this is no longer possible.

If Flying testing seems to be much simpler and 30 minute test to result available.
This is an option if you can travel to a testing site. I don't know if that is possible while I quarantine in the UK or not. I guess it is OK if I'm flying and go direct to the airport after the result is known.
However, that does not give me much in terms of logistics and still does not remove the need to book the Day 2 & Day 8 tests as an arrival in UK.

I intend to get a Covid test on a next day return (e mail) by visiting a centre and doing it there. Thats easy and in line with the ferry. However does anyone know the best way to get a test in the south of France for Spain?

Where to go? How much?

I go 1st July at present. I have both vaccine jabs and NHS app.

Well we just defaulted immediately to Plan D due to the Swiss decision last night to require UK travellers to now quarantine for 10 days on entry to CH.*
That means we now hire a removal company and get a relative to supervise locally with us on chat/video... we're undecided if we get it shipped or into storage which is going to depend on the ability of the UK removal co to enter CH without quarantine I suppose.
Just goes to show the futility in trying to plan anything cross-border these days. You have to wonder what the point of vaccines are if you are still subject to all the blanket restrictions. Oh well, life goes on!

* I pity the arrivals from UK to CH from 6pm last night, they are now destined for quarantine with zero notice as the implementation was immediate. You could even have been in mid-flight and not know until you landed.

Well we just defaulted immediately to Plan D due to the Swiss decision last night to require UK travellers to now quarantine for 10 days on entry to CH.*
That means we now hire a removal company and get a relative to supervise locally with us on chat/video... we're undecided if we get it shipped or into storage which is going to depend on the ability of the UK removal co to enter CH without quarantine I suppose.
Just goes to show the futility in trying to plan anything cross-border these days. You have to wonder what the point of vaccines are if you are still subject to all the blanket restrictions. Oh well, life goes on!

* I pity the arrivals from UK to CH from 6pm last night, they are now destined for quarantine with zero notice as the implementation was immediate. You could even have been in mid-flight and not know until you landed.
What an absolute pain. I can imagine the hassle, as I think I mentioned further up I had to clear my late dad’s house in June last year. I saw the UK was bringing in quarantine from the Monday so printed the forms and drove up to the chunnel on the Saturday. Technically the journey wasn’t essential but the papers were never checked in France.

It’s a whole different thing since then though with testing and vaccination

What an absolute pain. I can imagine the hassle, as I think I mentioned further up I had to clear my late dad’s house in June last year. I saw the UK was bringing in quarantine from the Monday so printed the forms and drove up to the chunnel on the Saturday. Technically the journey wasn’t essential but the papers were never checked in France.

It’s a whole different thing since then though with testing and vaccination
For anyone having to travel or work an absolute pain. We cancelled all our overseas holiday plans back in Sept as this type of sudden change of policy was always going to happen. Good luck with the removals.

Wow, that’s sudden and decisive action from CH !!!
A pain for you but hopefully your Plan D will work out fine.

I intend to get a Covid test on a next day return (e mail) by visiting a centre and doing it there. Thats easy and in line with the ferry. However does anyone know the best way to get a test in the south of France for Spain?

Where to go? How much?

I go 1st July at present. I have both vaccine jabs and NHS app.

Where are you trying to get to, Spain via France? If so I think your biggest problem is going to be having to isolate in France.

I am due to meet family in Spain in late August & its looking increasingly likely that I am going to have to bite the bullet & hand over another couple of £1000 to go via the Bilbao ferry or last resort fly & hire a car.

Where are you trying to get to, Spain via France? If so I think your biggest problem is going to be having to isolate in France.

I am due to meet family in Spain in late August & its looking increasingly likely that I am going to have to bite the bullet & hand over another couple of £1000 to go via the Bilbao ferry or last resort fly & hire a car.
Yep, Spain via France. I thought you could transit France with no isolation????

Yep, Spain via France. I thought you could transit France with no isolation????
I don't see how, all entry into France from Uk is straight into isolation. Also you need to demonstrate an essential reason for travel.

Coming back is ok Spain into France as you are entering France from an EU country. Problem then is just Uk isolation.

The only reference to transiting being OK I can find was with reference to airports where in simple terms it was acceptable to change flights as long as you didn't leave the airport.

Increased health measures have been adopted with respect to persons travelling to France from the UK in light of the development of the so-called Indian variant.

This is from the ministry for European and Foreign affairs:
Therefore, starting on Monday, May 31 at 12.00 am:
non-EU nationals who do not reside in France arriving in France from the UK will have to demonstrate an essential reason for their travel.
Any person arriving in France from the UK will have to produce a PCR or antigen test carried out less than 48 hours before departure;
upon arrival, travelers must quarantine for 7 days. At this time, given the low incidence of Covid in the United Kingdom, systematic home monitoring will not apply to them.

Last edited:

Last year I used this website for travel. Isn’t it keeping up anymore?

Last year I used this website for travel. Isn’t it keeping up anymore?
Yes it is up to date, this is what it says about France:

What are the rules to enter this country from outside an EU Member State or Schengen Associated country?

Arrivals from: Australia, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or the United Kingdom
If you are arriving from one of these countries, you can enter France. You must comply with health regulations (PCR test and declaration) and you must quarantine for 7 days after your arrival.
If you are aged 11 or over, a negative PCR test result, carried out less than 72 hours before departure, is required.

Have just checked what it says about transiting France to get to Spain:

Rest of the World
What are the rules if I go abroad from this country, and when I return from abroad?

Please check the travel advice provided by the Foreign Affairs Ministry of your country before starting your journey.

France
May I transit this country?

PARTIALLY
Transit by Land:
All travellers are subject to the requirement for a pre-departure negative PCR test. The test must be taken within 72 hours prior to arrival.
Children aged 11 and under are exempted.

Transit by Air:
international transits of less than 24h are allowed, provided that travellers don't leave the airport.
Borders in the European area are open with the obligation to carry out an RT-PCR test less than 72h before entry (except for connecting passengers whose final destination does not require a test).

Find out more:
Coronavirus advice for foreign nationals
Informations to passengers - Paris Aéroport

Spain

So from what I can see its best to wait a few weeks before panicking!!

I wouldn't have regarded holidaying in Spain as an essential reason to enter France, so one site suggests entry would be refused. The other seems to suggest transiting France is OK subject to a PCR test.

You've then got the current curfew rule to contend with stopping you travelling at night & nothing suggests how long the transiting of France can take - is a leisurely week allowed? or do you get 24 hours to get out the other side?

I work in the shipping industry and crew changes have been a worldwide challenge for past 12 months or so as there are no special rules for seafarers.

Just recently we have noticed that many countries have been changing policies overnight in reaction to the Indian variant with no advance notice as they seek to keep the new strain of the virus out, and this is set to continue. You can still carry the virus even if you have been vaccinated so its more about protecting those around you. It is not political. Be prepared for rules to change very quickly, if you don't need to travel best stay local to avoid disappointment, or, factor in a couple of weeks isolation just in case.

Yep, Spain via France. I thought you could transit France with no isolation??
I think you are now legally required to self isolate @Grumpy Mike as we are not in the EU. Potentially you could self isolate in your van :) but shopping and refuelling could present a problem. You can’t take food into France and you can’t go shopping for 7 days.

So from what I can see its best to wait a few weeks before panicking!!

I wouldn't have regarded holidaying in Spain as an essential reason to enter France, so one site suggests entry would be refused. The other seems to suggest transiting France is OK subject to a PCR test.

You've then got the current curfew rule to contend with stopping you travelling at night & nothing suggests how long the transiting of France can take - is a leisurely week allowed? or do you get 24 hours to get out the other side?
Yeah - I guess it’s all very well finding out the current rules but it’s crystal ball stuff for making plans.

I had many trips abroad planned for 2020 and have become accustomed to postponing and staying in the UK (Brighton next week). There are limits though. One of my (£135) current Eurotunnel tickets must be used by Sept 2021.

I’m optimistic though. We did make it to France for a fortnight last July, when restrictions were similarly uncertain in May.

I think we’ll make it to France/Netherlands in mid August and Netherlands/France in late October.

Friends of ours have a house in Normandy and they travelled over there on Wednesday this week. Haven’t touched base with them yet but will be interested to hear their experience.

Not sure on CH rules but Hauliers/Transport Drivers have been exempt the quarantine rules. Imagine how rapidly freight/food would stop with no exemption for commercial drivers.

Friends of ours have a house in Normandy and they travelled over there on Wednesday this week. Haven’t touched base with them yet but will be interested to hear their experience.
Interested in that as was hoping to go in July with the hope that £600 ish Test costs would have eased by then, looking very dubious now.
Also interested in the food import checks aspect.

That would be interesting....

Kent Variant now the Indian Variant rampaging caused by late border controls in UK, we have become a Pariah state. No wonder Mr Last Gasp is sucking up to Orban. Two peas in a pod. Despicable.

Kent Variant now the Indian Variant rampaging caused by late border controls in UK, we have become a Pariah state. No wonder Mr Last Gasp is sucking up to Orban. Two peas in a pod. Despicable.

It’s only because Britain routinely tests for variants. Other close neighbours haven’t a clue which variants are rampaging across their countries.

Infection rates are rising at ~25% a week in Britain, similar to that of France, Germany and Italy.

Do keep upto date. The UK does more genetic sequencing of + viral samples in a week than the EU has done this year. In fact the UK labs do sequencing for other countries as well. In fact the only countries free of the Indian variant are probably Australia, New Zealand and possibly N Korea.
What matters is the Vaccine. Virtually All hospital admissions are either not vaccinated or within a short time of receiving the 1st dose.