Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free 1yr Insurance with VW and S5 Tracking Device

Honestly, that sounds ridiculous and really quite impractical, certainly in London. Next they will be asking you to watch the van at all times when at home!
For me it's possible most of the time but obvs I can't gtee that nobody will park outside my house so it's out of my control. I shall check the small print of the policy carefully.

You’ve got to insure for the full RRP as if it’s stolen in the first year, it’s new for old and you may encounter issues with under insurance if you’ve only quoted what you paid for it. I was fine as my full RRP sneaks in below £75k so LV didn’t need a tracker. They also didn’t mention it needing to be parked in view of my windows. I would ask them to show you the policy wording where it stipulates this as they would need to state this clearly to try to turn a claim down on this basis.

I’ve ordered this one which includes fitting and the first year’s subscription for £449:
I don’t have a delivery date yet but Connectmycar are happy to wait until the van arrives and Eurovans are happy to let them in before I pick it up.

My cheapest insurance quote has been £980 with LV (plus an £800 excess) even with the tracker fitted and no-one seems to want to insure me at all without one. Am 36, had my driving license for 15+ years and have no claims or convictions to speak of. What am I doing wrong?!
I had the vodaphone tracker fitted from new by the dealer, it was total rubbish, it would track up to 590yds from home then stop, the app doesn’t work of which vodaphone are aware of
I had mine removed with a full refund

I had the vodaphone tracker fitted from new by the dealer, it was total rubbish, it would track up to 590yds from home then stop, the app doesn’t work of which vodaphone are aware of
That’s very helpful, and would be even more so if you could advise which product you replaced with and your experience. Thanks

I can only think that’s a fitting issue as Thatcham certification is pretty strict and if that was common issue, it wouldn’t have the S5 certification. I’d be more concerned at the “fitted by the dealer” comment to be honest.

The app would be a different issue and I can well imagine that’s rubbish as so many companion apps for these sort of things are rubbish. However, you don’t need the app for the tracker to work.

I can only think that’s a fitting issue as Thatcham certification is pretty strict and if that was common issue, it wouldn’t have the S5 certification. I’d be more concerned at the “fitted by the dealer” comment to be honest.

The app would be a different issue and I can well imagine that’s rubbish as so many companion apps for these sort of things are rubbish. However, you don’t need the app for the tracker to work.
I agree, but paying £550 I want an app that works so if it’s stolen I don’t need to rely on the police to follow
After speaking with vodaphone several times with promises of call backs I came to the conclusion they had no interest in helping solve the issues

I agree, but paying £550 I want an app that works so if it’s stolen I don’t need to rely on the police to follow
After speaking with vodaphone several times with promises of call backs I came to the conclusion they had no interest in helping solve the issues
I think I’ll be going down the Vodafone S5 and free insurance route. Two things have swayed me recently.

Firstly, a friend has a T5.1 Cali with the Vodafone tracker on it and has no issues with the unit or the app. They seem very happy with it. Unfortunate that you’ve encountered issues Kennisted but it sounds like you’ve been unlucky.

Secondly, I’ve just tried Comfort Insurance and they won’t insure me as I park on the road (value too high for on road parking).

I think at renewal, I’ll have a better chance of getting a number of decent quotes to choose from with a tracker so I may as well get one subsidised by the free VW Insurance for a year.

Coincidentally, a couple of people on the FB page have intimated they have had issues with VW and them making it awkward to take out the free insurance (currently awaiting further details from them as they were unsubstantiated comments). How have other people found VW to deal with regarding the free insurance?

I think I’ll be going down the Vodafone S5 and free insurance route. Two things have swayed me recently.

Firstly, a friend has a T5.1 Cali with the Vodafone tracker on it and has no issues with the unit or the app. They seem very happy with it. Unfortunate that you’ve encountered issues Kennisted but it sounds like you’ve been unlucky.

Secondly, I’ve just tried Comfort Insurance and they won’t insure me as I park on the road (value too high for on road parking).

I think at renewal, I’ll have a better chance of getting a number of decent quotes to choose from with a tracker so I may as well get one subsidised by the free VW Insurance for a year.

Coincidentally, a couple of people on the FB page have intimated they have had issues with VW and them making it awkward to take out the free insurance (currently awaiting further details from them as they were unsubstantiated comments). How have other people found VW to deal with regarding the free insurance?

Got our new Ocean last week and used the VW free insurance. My theory was same as yours in that May as well spend the £550 to get it fitted in lieu of the first year’s premium as will invariably need it for subsequent renewals.

Found the VW promotional material a bit misleading in that it simply said “may need security device fitted” it didn’t say it “has to have a £550 tracker”.

There are various restrictions which do restrict availability of the policy. Some of which I suppose I can understand, but others feel a bit stingy. I don’t think I can remember them all but your dealer should give you a sheet with the details on that you then need phone through to VW Insurance. Thus included :-
- have to arrange the insurance before vehicle collection, they suggested 48 hrs. So what that means is you have to have the tracker fitted at the dealers before you collect it, and you can’t take it elsewhere to get fitted.
- minimum age was I think 21
- uk driving licence, I think needed be held minimum 2 years
- no claims in last 2 years - this caught us out as my wife has an unresolved claim from 18 months ago (hit by a 3rd party but both cars insured with Direct Line and the other party disputes it was her that hit my wife, and DL have just sat on it) So we have not been able to add her to the policy as couldn’t get DL to make a decision in the few days we had to resolve it. Can’t add her or anybody to the policy after the event so that’s quite a material restriction as will need pay to add her and unclear if that’s effectively full premium
- no driving convictions, think it said they would allow one minor one
- to be fair the guy on the phone was quite helpful, but it’s very black and white if you qualify or not
- if you need business usage for driving to meetings etc it included that

- stupidly the one thing I forgot to ask about was adding European trips !
- still awaiting the full policy booklet so that will clarify a few things when it arrives

but ultimately took the view they had me over a barrel having had the tracker installed that I may as well take the free policy for now and if it’s cheaper to move providers to add the wife later then we will have to.

the Vodafone app works fine I have found. It doesn’t have lots of features but then again it’s a tracker so not sure what else it might do.

so overall some pluses and minuses but in the long run looks like need a tracker whatever, and maybe naively I think of all the insurers VW will have a hard time saying they don’t know what a California is if we ever needed make a claim for anything not driving related.

Got our new Ocean last week and used the VW free insurance. My theory was same as yours in that May as well spend the £550 to get it fitted in lieu of the first year’s premium as will invariably need it for subsequent renewals.

Found the VW promotional material a bit misleading in that it simply said “may need security device fitted” it didn’t say it “has to have a £550 tracker”.

There are various restrictions which do restrict availability of the policy. Some of which I suppose I can understand, but others feel a bit stingy. I don’t think I can remember them all but your dealer should give you a sheet with the details on that you then need phone through to VW Insurance. Thus included :-
- have to arrange the insurance before vehicle collection, they suggested 48 hrs. So what that means is you have to have the tracker fitted at the dealers before you collect it, and you can’t take it elsewhere to get fitted.
- minimum age was I think 21
- uk driving licence, I think needed be held minimum 2 years
- no claims in last 2 years - this caught us out as my wife has an unresolved claim from 18 months ago (hit by a 3rd party but both cars insured with Direct Line and the other party disputes it was her that hit my wife, and DL have just sat on it) So we have not been able to add her to the policy as couldn’t get DL to make a decision in the few days we had to resolve it. Can’t add her or anybody to the policy after the event so that’s quite a material restriction as will need pay to add her and unclear if that’s effectively full premium
- no driving convictions, think it said they would allow one minor one
- to be fair the guy on the phone was quite helpful, but it’s very black and white if you qualify or not
- if you need business usage for driving to meetings etc it included that

- stupidly the one thing I forgot to ask about was adding European trips !
- still awaiting the full policy booklet so that will clarify a few things when it arrives

but ultimately took the view they had me over a barrel having had the tracker installed that I may as well take the free policy for now and if it’s cheaper to move providers to add the wife later then we will have to.

the Vodafone app works fine I have found. It doesn’t have lots of features but then again it’s a tracker so not sure what else it might do.

so overall some pluses and minuses but in the long run looks like need a tracker whatever, and maybe naively I think of all the insurers VW will have a hard time saying they don’t know what a California is if we ever needed make a claim for anything not driving related.
Many thanks for that. They all sound reasonable restrictions for free insurance and ones I already knew about. I agree with you that the requirement for a tracker should be a lot more clear in writing rather than “a security device”. I only learned of the S5 tracker requirement from this forum and from the dealer verbally. Nothing at all in writing from VW themselves.

Do you know if it’s their expectation that you will have 2 years’ NCB to bring over to this policy specifically, or just 2 years on a vehicle insurance policy generally? My NCB is currently in use on my car insurance policy and I will be keeping that as my primary vehicle for now, so am a bit worried that may catch me out.

Also, from what you’ve said I assume they expect 2 years’ NCB from any additional drivers. For the last couple of years we’ve been a one car household with the policy in my name so not sure how that will affect adding my Mrs. Will have to gather the details of when she last had a policy and ask them I guess. Edit: hopefully we’ll be OK on this one as she cancelled a policy in January 2022 and has a certificate for 9+ years no claims, I believe a NCB remains valid for up to 2 years without having a car insurance policy in your name.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Jimmy

Last edited:
So here's a more general insurance query; I get the new-for-old RRP based value and agree with that, but the question is let's say we take out a policy today and the RRP of the Cali is say £74k. All good. Then in August the Cali stops production and they announce Cali mk7 (whatever that looks like), which undoubtedly would be more expensive. Does that mean the insurance is still only going to cover the £74k and you're left with a shortfall, or does the policy use the phrasing "new for old on a Cali" and therefore you're covered (I unfortunately suspect I know the answer to this already!).

Do you know if it’s their expectation that you will have 2 years’ NCB to bring over to this policy specifically, or just 2 years on a vehicle insurance policy generally?
They are not asking for 2 years NCB or even that you've had insurance for two years, just that you haven't made a claim in the last 2 years.

So here's a more general insurance query; I get the new-for-old RRP based value and agree with that, but the question is let's say we take out a policy today and the RRP of the Cali is say £74k. All good. Then in August the Cali stops production and they announce Cali mk7 (whatever that looks like), which undoubtedly would be more expensive. Does that mean the insurance is still only going to cover the £74k and you're left with a shortfall, or does the policy use the phrasing "new for old on a Cali" and therefore you're covered (I unfortunately suspect I know the answer to this already!).
Not sure of your policy wording but the info I downloaded from insurewithVWCV.co.uk states the following:IMG_0718.jpeg

I do hope the policy that VW are giving away with the cali does have different wording to the policy details given on the website as that includes some exclusions that don't really suit a California, including not insured if the vehicle has been manufactured as a motorhome! & roof needs to be closed.
IMG_0721.jpegIMG_0719.jpeg

That's an interesting aspect; if the roof is open on a campsite but you're out for the day, wonder if that compromises cover? You could argue no different than a soft-top car but the fabric of the bellows is much lighter I think and unlike a soft-top, there is the option to close it and make it secure.

The VW free insurance is basically for a Transporter/ Caravelle / Kombi or Shuttle. It is not for a California in Camping Mode. Roof up, Awning out, table and chairs out while your at shower block or having a meal at local pub across the road from the campsite. Ask the 'Bacon Butty ' question? If you have fire whilst frying the bacon for your butty are you covered?
I'd be very surprised if the VW Insurance staff even realise you could do that in a California.

The VW free insurance is basically for a Transporter/ Caravelle / Kombi or Shuttle. It is not for a California in Camping Mode. Roof up, Awning out, table and chairs out while your at shower block or having a meal at local pub across the road from the campsite. Ask the 'Bacon Butty ' question? If you have fire whilst frying the bacon for your butty are you covered?
I'd be very surprised if the VW Insurance staff even realise you could do that in a California.
I did ask them on the 'phone if I'd be covered if I set fire to the vehicle while using the cooker and they said yes I would, it would come under the "fire" component of the policy. I iterated clearly that the vehicle would be used for camping and they said it would be covered. I doubt chairs left out which are then nicked would be covered, but I also doubt any policy would cover unsecured items! I didn't ask about roof up etc.. but I honestly think while there might be a tussle in the event of a claim, it's insurance sold via the dealer you're buying the Cali from and it's a purpose built vehicle (and the insurance is/was being pedalled by the "Happy Camper" event) so if they tried to suggest the vehicle wasn't covered for its intended use, you'd have a valid case via the Financial Ombudsman.

I did ask them on the 'phone if I'd be covered if I set fire to the vehicle while using the cooker and they said yes I would, it would come under the "fire" component of the policy. I iterated clearly that the vehicle would be used for camping and they said it would be covered. I doubt chairs left out which are then nicked would be covered, but I also doubt any policy would cover unsecured items! I didn't ask about roof up etc.. but I honestly think while there might be a tussle in the event of a claim, it's insurance sold via the dealer you're buying the Cali from and it's a purpose built vehicle (and the insurance is/was being pedalled by the "Happy Camper" event) so if they tried to suggest the vehicle wasn't covered for its intended use, you'd have a valid case via the Financial Ombudsman.
Good. My insurance covers all equipment carried in the van and when it is deployed on site. No requirement to pack everything away if vehicle left unattended as long as the vehicle is locked in the usual way and keys not left with the vehicle but in the possession of the driver.

Do you know if it’s their expectation that you will have 2 years’ NCB to bring over to this policy specifically, or just 2 years on a vehicle insurance policy generally? My NCB is currently in use on my car insurance policy and I will be keeping that as my primary vehicle for now, so am a bit worried that may catch me out.

Also, from what you’ve said I assume they expect 2 years’ NCB from any additional drivers. For the last couple of years we’ve been a one car household with the policy in my name so not sure how that will affect adding my Mrs. Will have to gather the details of when she last had a policy and ask them I guess. Edit: hopefully we’ll be OK on this one as she cancelled a policy in January 2022 and has a certificate for 9+ years no claims, I believe a NCB remains valid for up to 2 years without having a car insurance policy in your name.

Jimmy
Yes, I called VW and as long as you have 2 years NCD on your existing policy, you qualify on that point. You do not need to swap over your existing policy.

Good. My insurance covers all equipment carried in the van and when it is deployed on site. No requirement to pack everything away if vehicle left unattended as long as the vehicle is locked in the usual way and keys not left with the vehicle but in the possession of the driver.
I didn't ask about possessions etc.. so you would have to check that point, I was focussed on mishaps resulting in the vehicle getting severely damaged or destroyed!

I didn't ask about possessions etc.. so you would have to check that point, I was focussed on mishaps resulting in the vehicle getting severely damaged or destroyed!
Personal possessions limit is £250 per claim.

Jimmy
Hi, initially they said I needed to bring across the NCB from an exiting vehicle, which was no good in my scenario as I am keeping my existing vehicle as my daily transport. The chap on the phone understood the issue and without any real persuading went to speak to his manager, returning very quickly to say that given the type of vehicle the Cali is then they would insure it without transferring NCBs from my existing car but would need proof of my existing NCBs - 7 days on I am waiting for the docs still which will apparently include an envelope for me to return hard copy evidence of NCB.
so in theory all seems ok, but still waiting on the policy docs before I can be sure.

There is a potential catch in that it says it’s only available for the current 3x derivatives of Californias ordered by 3/4/23 which presumably was when the Happy Camper event finished. BUT it then says “and collected by 30/6/23” which isn’t very long at all. That’s from the 4 page document that the dealer sent me just ahead of collection, with the details of how to activate the insurance. Not sure if that was made clear in the marketing, I don’t remember it.

This is the summary page from the dealer produced doc to enable the insurance to be arranged

IMG_3234.jpeg

Back