Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodbye Brussels, hello Burnley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to move on. What's done is done. Have been in Dunbar the last few days and now heading back to Eskdale for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One last comment from me - we could soon see a situation where Donald Trump is US President and Borris Johnson UK PM :rage:embarrased:stop:mad::confused::headbango_O:sad

Please...

The vote has been cast, the previous thread earlier on EU referendum descended into personal bickering...

Leave the personal bickering now, it's old hat.

Brexit has happened. Those (like me) who did not vote for it accept it, those who can't accept it then move to the eurozone, those who can then stay and help heal the country, those who love Cali's talk about them and those who can only leave messages of personal angst and bitching accept your posts are going to be removed.

Fair point Jen. There are many of us who won't be simply accepting it, it's too important, but a free-spirited' forum of Cali owners probably isn't the best place for a heated political discussion.

Anyone wishing to carry on the debate, I'll see you in an alternate echo-chamber :cool:

Hi Tommy Gun

Problem is we have no money to pay for the services we enjoy courtesy of being part of the UK. Scottish Power is owned by Spanish - Whisky belongs to USA and Indian companies (only Scottish Water is home owned) and the best paid jobs are from Government posts i.e Faslane etc.
Our Uni did a study of our economy and it is quite frightening. As you know governments don't have money except for taxation and the taxes of 60 million are better for supporting a country than those where only about 2 million pay any tax.
As for independence where would we stand giving over all power to the EU????

Hi Digger,

I see the conversation has moved on quite a bit since I last logged-in! :) Tried to PM you & discuss it out of this thread (& stay out of the bun fight) but can't seem to send PM's at the moment.

In all honesty, I had little faith in any of the financial figures produced that were used for & against the independence referendum back in 2014. I think both sides were at it - figures massaged & arranged to suit a particular side's view. Who to trust... finance is not my game.

I see pro's & con's with brexit. It'll hurt some & benefit others of course - main thing is that it was a fully democratic & fair process, as mentioned by others. England voted out, Wales voted out. As we are hearing, the game-changer for us is that Scotland, as a nation, clearly didn't want that overall result & it will now be seen as that 'material change' previously mentioned (to quote the First Minister's words.) This of course may be seen as undemocratic by other parts of the UK. Mind you, she did warn of this a while back, when a remain vote seemed virtually guaranteed

If NS thinks she can pull it off, she'll go for it. She would need support for a future deal / arrangement with the EU. If she gets some kind of offer, then she'll put that to the vote in well-timed fashion. It could be backed-up with regular co-ordinated meetings & visits from EU chiefs, voicing approval & all pitched as a genuine alternative to UK membership.

Marriage of convenience? Perhaps. The SNP aim for independence & some form of EU financial backing/cuddle. The country is placed back in the EU to appease the majority of voters that wanted to remain. The EU get part of Britain back in the process & get to save some face, to help keep their grand 'project' on track. They'll be looking for any good news after being dumped by the UK.

Looking at some of the countries that the EU are considering for membership :talktothehand, I would be amazed if they were unwilling to re-absorb Scotland as a singular entity, should it offer itself up. We are already familiar with the standards expected. I can't see the EU doing the UK any favours, over & above whatever they absolutely have to. I also don't think they will avoid the Scottish question, as they did last time (as a favour to DC) - not now. Being back in the EU could also be pitched as front of the queue with America.

If NS can get the sums to look half-decent & there is a referendum, then I honestly think there is a strong chance Scotland will leave.
Agree with your comment regarding independence / handing powers to the EU. Not exactly full independence, but we did tolerate some of that as the UK in the EU.

Interesting times ahead, whatever happens. Main thing is that it is democratic
If a referendum is offered, I'll be keeping an open mind.

Cheers
Tom

my 3rd Niece voted out. Again the echo of elsewhere..... politics in this country has been too "london" focussed and the regions, such as Oldham and Saddleworth, felt as though they had no voice. In other words a vote of "Will someone listen to me!"

There is already a petition for a second referendum:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Already up to 1.2M signed
It was a fair and democratic vote. The only place where you are sent back to vote again because you haven't got the 'right' result is the EU and that is what we have just voted to leave!
This is a democracy folks, the people have spoken. We have to accept the result because that is how democracies work. Saying that you won't accept it is childish.

Democracy is to take care for rights of the minority. It's not about winning and certainly not about getting it your way.

By the time its all buttoned up 40% of out voters will be dead, selfish much?
We Outers also have children and grand children you know. Like you, we voted for what we thought is best for them. And still think so. It was NOT selfishness that we voted that way, it was because we felt it was best for the country .
I don't like being called selfish, please just accept that the people have reached a decision and work with it.

We Outers also have children and grand children you know. Like you, we voted for what we thought is best for them. And still think so. It was NOT selfishness that we voted that way, it was because we felt it was best for the country .
I don't like being called selfish, please just accept that the people have reached a decision and work with it.
Obviously your too old to remember when you were my age and EU saved you from a 3 day working week, rolling blackouts and a fuel ration book.
Cant wait for that to return.
Just another day of England screwing us over. :)

Last edited:
we could soon see a situation where Donald Trump is US President and Borris Johnson UK PM

It could be Britain's only hope: Boris and Trump thrash out a free trade agreement between Britain and the US - just to prove that they were right about Brexit. A desperate hope!

The referendum was of course 'advisory' and the government don't have to implement it from a legal standpoint. As it could cause a major constitutional change - Scotland leaving - this vote may never be implemented. Just a thought!

Last edited:
Id Rather watch Dave Lee Travis play MacBeth

All I know is a) the European discount on my new boiler is not happening anymore, b) my euros are going to cost me more. c). Diesel here will be more and presumably parts for the Cali d) any thoughts of retiring to France as I can't afford to retire here ever may have gone e) various relatives jobs are now looking dodgy f) my plans to try to return to my previous career are now likely to be dead in the water due to uncertainty g) my daughter's idea of attending a uni in Holland as they don't have £9k of fees a year may not work anymore etc etc.

It is irrelevant what I voted there are short and long term consequences - many of which we cannot surmise. However you can bet that somehow the lawyers and bankers will make a killing whatever the pain inflicted on the poor majority.

At Uni I studied Plato's Theory of Universal Mistrust.....I rest my case!

Obviously your too old to remember when you were my age and EU saved you from a 3 day working week, rolling blackouts and a fuel ration book.
Cant wait for that to return.
Just another day of England screwing us over. :)
Strange, I remember that terrible time too and how we were eventually saved by Maggie, not the EU which didn't exist then

• Agree
Reactions: OJ1
Well I must be the only person whose finances have fell out their own ars. Thanks to the English majority supporting a minority

• Disagree
Reactions: OJ1
A bit 'weird' to see Alex Deane on Dutch television telling us to start a Nexit campaign in order to finish the EU altogether.

Last edited:
The referendum was of course 'advisory' and the government don't have to implement it from a legal standpoint. As it could cause a major constitutional change - Scotland leaving - this vote may never be implemented. Just a thought!
Nice idea, but unfortunately little chance when we end up with an unelected OUT supporter as PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back