Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

google maps breaking up

The VW navigator also went screwy for the first hour. It placed me on a nearby local road instead of the highway I was actually on, resulting in the speed limit display, with its annoying alarm (now turned off), erroneously jumping around the speed limits of the local towns it though I was driving through.
Have you had the software update for the 'SOS button' issue? If not, then the GPS going haywire can be linked to the SOS button issue. After the fix for that one, the GPS signal works properly for the built-in navigation.

Have you had the software update for the 'SOS button' issue? If not, then the GPS going haywire can be linked to the SOS button issue. After the fix for that one, the GPS signal works properly for the built-in navigation.
No I haven't. Thanks for the info.

after talking to my local vw garage they said using wfi rather than a lead stops the issue, not tried it yet but we will see
Sorry to say, it doesn’t for us. Just as bad. Not sure where they’ve got that info from. There is a registered problem which VW tech dept are working on.

VW Sheffield also told us that the SOS firmware communicates with the infotainment system, which can cause problems. However, the version installed in our van was the latest, at the time (14th February), as was the infotainment software. We are still waiting, but the timing advised by VW was ‘software update due in April 2023’.

I have this issue on my MY22 Ocean. Both with iPhone X and iPhone Mini 12 (always latest iOS). When using wireless Carplay it happens with Google Maps & Waze, but when using the cable it only happens with Waze.

More annoying than the screen pixellating is that the display gets more and more 'delayed' you drive leading to missed turnings (e.g turn off in 300 Metres, when the junction has already passed). As per other users pressing the 'App' button fixes it (for a while) so I find myself jabbing the 'App' button constantly as I'm driving.

I tend to use Apple Maps now unless I need speed camera warnings, and the added bonus of Apple Maps vs Google/Waze is that the navigation instructions are integrated into the Digital Cockpit, so you get the turning instructions in the Cockpit as well as the Media Unit.

Doesn't happen on my Polo with the more recent 'Ready to Discover 8"' system.

Very Annoying. Not spoken to dealer about it but if it's not fixed itself by the next service (Assuming Discover Media has OTA updates (Does it?)) I'll start asking questions.

I have this issue on my MY22 Ocean. Both with iPhone X and iPhone Mini 12 (always latest iOS). When using wireless Carplay it happens with Google Maps & Waze, but when using the cable it only happens with Waze.

More annoying than the screen pixellating is that the display gets more and more 'delayed' you drive leading to missed turnings (e.g turn off in 300 Metres, when the junction has already passed). As per other users pressing the 'App' button fixes it (for a while) so I find myself jabbing the 'App' button constantly as I'm driving.

I tend to use Apple Maps now unless I need speed camera warnings, and the added bonus of Apple Maps vs Google/Waze is that the navigation instructions are integrated into the Digital Cockpit, so you get the turning instructions in the Cockpit as well as the Media Unit.

Doesn't happen on my Polo with the more recent 'Ready to Discover 8"' system.

Very Annoying. Not spoken to dealer about it but if it's not fixed itself by the next service (Assuming Discover Media has OTA updates (Does it?)) I'll start asking questions.
Our experience mirrors yours. At first Waze was a no go, then a Google Maps became progressively worse, and now we cant use either, on Bluetooth or cable.

On a positive note, we find Apple Maps okay, and it does warn about most speed cameras, but annoyingly it tells you about some a minute after youve passed them. But as we all stick to the speed limit that shouldn’t worry us really?!

There are OTA updates on the media system, but for reasons known only to VW, our dealer has said we’d need to visit the workshop to get the anticipated update scheduled for April. Who knows ?

I’m monitoring messages on the Apple Support Community forum about the pixelation issue - this was posted today by a user…
”VW software update is projected to be available in May 2023. Need version 840, is what I’ve been told. Will need to go to dealership to do”.

I installed the "OUG9" over-the-air software update last week and that seems to have fixed the Google Maps pixellation issue. Went for a test drive yesterday and all working fine with no pixellation and no issues switching between CarPlay apps as used to happen. Fingers crossed!

Same here. Also seems to have fixed the weConnect app problem as well.

Got to say though been using the vw nav and it’s been brilliant and shows on the digital dash so will stick with that.

Same here. Also seems to have fixed the weConnect app problem as well.

Got to say though been using the vw nav and it’s been brilliant and shows on the digital dash so will stick with that.
Ha ha - like us with Apple Maps! I’m sure we’ll slip back into Gmaps at some point though ;)

Just to add, today on a trip back from Tatton Park Gmaps failed for us after a while. I can’t stop testing it, even though we prefer Apple now! Not pixelating, just froze, then went white screen. My phone was getting mighty hot again which isn’t a good sign. We flipped to Apple Maps for the rest of the journey, but once the phone cooled down a bit Gmaps worked again.

We tried WAZE on a trip today, and the map pixelated and froze after around 10 minutes. Switched off Carplay for a while and then started Gmaps which was stable for the rest of the journey.

FYI my van had a significant Infotainment System software update today and it has fixed an outstanding issue where destinations were not being retained by the VW SatNav but also the screen pixelation I had when using Waze is also fixed.

FYI my van had a significant Infotainment System software update today and it has fixed an outstanding issue where destinations were not being retained by the VW SatNav but also the screen pixelation I had when using Waze is also fixed.
Was this OTA update or did you have to go to the dealers

Was this OTA update or did you have to go to the dealers
Hi @Van Diesel VW
I was at the dealers for an MOT and Brake Fluid change. Had a whinge about an ongoing issue with my SatNav and Craig did a significant software update on the Infotainment System. He did mention that after doing that there was also an OTA update.

Does anyone know what the latest version is or how I can prompt an OTA update. I was a service at the dealer today and they basically told me I had to do it myself. Either way. Waze is still corrupted! I hate going to dealerships so much!

Does anyone know what the latest version is or how I can prompt an OTA update. I was a service at the dealer today and they basically told me I had to do it myself. Either way. Waze is still corrupted! I hate going to dealerships so much!
You should just be able to go into the settings and it is in the menu option for "system" - the OTA update should be there, click to download it and then after that to install it. Looks like the below.

OTA1.jpeg
OTA2.jpegOTA3.jpeg

I had a software update at Citygate today which has fixed the pixelation issue on Waze (amongst other things). It is not a DIY or OTA update. Worth asking your dealership.

Back