Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP! All four 12V sockets in rear not working

We had this with Listers Seat in Coventry, whenever we had a fault they would always fob us off or try to delay us until after the warranty. Strongly worded letter to the top and they would resolve it every single time.

I would expect if they fitted it there may be a line for the labour on a receipt somewhere.

So let me understand this They are admitting that a genuine VW part is known to damage paintwork.

"Regardless of the fitment of cushion pads below the clamps, the racks have been known to rub through to the paintwork. Unfortunately this is not something that is covered under the manufacturing defect warranty of the paint work or the bike rack/cycle carrier".

12 volt socket fault, we will investigate the root cause of the fault and then tell the customer what it requires. Ms Fitzgerald has a factory extended warranty which should cover most eventualities but as you know it does not cover, Rodent damage, fitment of non VW parts damaged caused by an external influence, such as a charging device that is demands more current from the system than it is designed for. Full details of the limits of supply through the 12 volt sockets are available in the owner’s manual.
They say 12V socket (singular) but you said all the 12v sockets? and then they go on about you potentially overloading A socket.
If all the 12v sockets are not working then either all the socket fuses are blown and that assumes you plugged in something that blew one fuse and then you would have put the same device into each subsequent socket to blow the rest!
If all are not working that would point to the single supply cable that feeds the small bank of Blue 15A fuses for the sockets. This is easy to test with a multi-meter on the tops of the fuses;
Both sides of the fuse 12v is good
One side live(12v) the other dead(0v) fuse blown but supply is good.
0V both side of the fuse, no supply to fuse.

Q: How did you discover all the 12V sockets were dead, what did you test them with?

They say 12V socket (singular) but you said all the 12v sockets? and then they go on about you potentially overloading A socket.
If all the 12v sockets are not working then either all the socket fuses are blown and that assumes you plugged in something that blew one fuse and then you would have put the same device into each subsequent socket to blow the rest!
If all are not working that would point to the single supply cable that feeds the small bank of Blue 15A fuses for the sockets. This is easy to test with a multi-meter on the tops of the fuses;
Both sides of the fuse 12v is good
One side live(12v) the other dead(0v) fuse blown but supply is good.
0V both side of the fuse, no supply to fuse.

Q: How did you discover all the 12V sockets were dead, what did you test them with?
Loz, I have a small adapter (like a cigarette lighter) that I use to charge iPhone. I only buy apple recommended devices. Used the same one since van was new. It has never had problems and is still working in dash 12V socket. I plugged in next to kitchen whilst camping (as I always do) and it didn’t work. Hence I tried by the bed (where I usually have it at night). Then as that didn’t work I thought I should check the other 2 in habitation area...

Loz, I have a small adapter (like a cigarette lighter) that I use to charge iPhone. I only buy apple recommended devices. Used the same one since van was new. It has never had problems and is still working in dash 12V socket. I plugged in next to kitchen whilst camping (as I always do) and it didn’t work. Hence I tried by the bed (where I usually have it at night). Then as that didn’t work I thought I should check the other 2 in habitation area...
The sink and upper bed sockets share the same fuse, but the other 2 (next to sliding door and in the boot) are separately fused. have you tested them?

The sink and upper bed sockets share the same fuse, but the other 2 (next to sliding door and in the boot) are separately fused. have you tested them?
Loz, yes, all 4 in habitation area are not working.

@MattBW - the mention of contacting VW customer services and hey presto, they have now found the invoice for fitting the bike rack (I’d supplied the Invoice number and date it cleared my account y’day only to be told this morning they have no records of it...)...

@MattBW - the mention of contacting VW customer services and hey presto, they have now found the invoice for fitting the bike rack (I’d supplied the Invoice number and date it cleared my account y’day only to be told this morning they have no records of it...)...
Sure you’re not dealing with Arthur Daley rather than VW?
1568891062399.jpeg

Sure you’re not dealing with Arthur Daley rather than VW?
I think you could be right. If you’ve seen my previous posts about issues with Clark commercials then you’d be pretty convinced

So the van is back at VW Dyce. They just informed me that the fuses for the 12V sockets are not the original factory fitted ones... Que... then they must have been replaced by VW Dyce or in Edinburgh when the tow bar was fitted.
Got into a lengthy discussion about how I need to go back to where I bought the van from (I said yourselves). And whoever did the tow bar fitting (I said you’re colleagues (same chain) in edinburgh because you wouldn’t fit the tow bar and I wanted genuine VW parts and fitting so as not to impact my extended warranty...). Then got told it might not be genuine VW electrics for the tow bar, and Edinburgh was nothing to do withe them. But now I’ve mentioned it they’ll go through all the wiring for the tow bar. Excuse me, I’ve suggested this in writing a couple of times and now you want to charge me for a couple of days diagnostics for other stuff.
Excuse me whilst i’m away to have a scream in a darkened room...

I also effectively got told it was down to me to prove I hadn’t changed the fuses etc. And it was up to me to contact VW Edinburgh to put a complaint in there is I feel that is where the issue comes from. But they operate under the same name as part of the same company.
Once this is fixed I am sorely tempted to sell the van as I can’t have this at every step. Unfortunately up here there aren’t any other dealers, it’s the one chain througout East of Scotland as far as I can tell...

Apologies for another post, I had a random thought. As I hadn’t used the van last winter with my back issues I was not surprised to find the pump had seized (I could hear a click when turning in the tap so microswitch working ok, but no pump noise). That was fixed during service in March. Is there a chance that the repair to that could have blown fuses (as it now seems the 12V ones have been replaced at some point without my knowledge).
I’m struggling to see how this all ties together and at this rate am being told I will be liable for £x00’s as I can’t prove it wasn’t my fault...

There must be a main +12V source that is not connected, as I read in your posts. One that feeds all the fuses that don't give you +12V. Maybe after fitting the towbar electrics there was something not fixed good?
They must search a common connection between all the things not working.
When did the problems start? After something was done to your van, or at least in a small period of time there after?

There must be a main +12V source that is not connected, as I read in your posts. One that feeds all the fuses that don't give you +12V. Maybe after fitting the towbar electrics there was something not fixed good?
They must search a common connection between all the things not working.
When did the problems start? After something was done to your van, or at least in a small period of time there after?
I agree... but I keep getting told they’ve checked everything... then for the first time today they tell me the fuses aren’t the originals... I’m in despair as I don’t trust them at all based on previous experience - and they have refused to document precisely what they are doing now (despite multiple emails and calls). So I am just resigned to another case of CW Customer services, maybe a lawyer and likely selling my beloved Cali as I can’t keep dealing with these scumbags... sorry for my language.

You are forgiven.

I think I can understand what you must be going through, but I certainly wouldn't sell the van for that.
As I know a lot about electrics and electronics, I would start searching myself, but I don't know your background, and it probably isn't electronics.
Don't you know someone with that background? In fact, a car is "just" a battery, a switch and a consumer(?).
So anyone with electronic background could help you out, if they can find a way to get to all the needed components (under the seats left and right, where the battery and the fuses are.)

I could give it a go, but as I am 1200km away from you, it's a bit hard.

You are forgiven.

I think I can understand what you must be going through, but I certainly wouldn't sell the van for that.
As I know a lot about electrics and electronics, I would start searching myself, but I don't know your background, and it probably isn't electronics.
Don't you know someone with that background? In fact, a car is "just" a battery, a switch and a consumer(?).
So anyone with electronic background could help you out, if they can find a way to get to all the needed components (under the seats left and right, where the battery and the fuses are.)

I could give it a go, but as I am 1200km away from you, it's a bit hard.
I’m an engineer and so electrics aren’t beyond me. But, (a) am not practical and (b) have deliberately not touched the van as I know these guys will blame everything on me. So my conscience is clear that I couldn’t have inadvertently done something and (c) most importantly for me, why the hell did I pay £50-60k for a vehicle, and the extended warranty, to be treated like a criminal by the garage that sold it to me...
Thank you for the support. Much appreciated.

Are there other things not working? Fridge, aux heater, 220V internal socket (inverter) in the left B pillar, inner lights, ...
It must be or a 12V problem, or a ground problem.

Well, I am just a bachelor in electronics, and I try to repair electrical and electronical stuff in my free time.
All good for standing to your point, but it seems like you will be dealing with your problem for a long time.
When you or someone else could find the problem and solve it the original way, then no one could blame you for further problems you didn't cause. Once you start cutting and bypassing, then they are right to void your warranty, but if it would just be a loosened screw, then I would not hesitate to fix it. Then no one would see who fixed it, so no reason to void your warranty.
I'd rather fix things myself than having to wait, or go to court for maybe just a simple thing.

But as said, I think I can understand what you are going through as I have found myself in a similar position before, but not on my van.
If it was something of €20 I wouldn't bother throwing it away and buying something new, but this is times 3000, so well worth getting it solved.
I can only wish you the very best of luck in your quest for a solution.

Are there other things not working? Fridge, aux heater, 220V internal socket (inverter) in the left B pillar, inner lights, ...
It must be or a 12V problem, or a ground problem.
Everything else is working

I’m giving up the will to live. Two very easily small warranty issues they want to charge for. I’m passed making an issue over that.
This afternoon, finally, they have taken the seats out and are looking for where the tow bar electrics were installed - which is what I had suggested earlier.
I had booked it for 2 days as need it tomorrow. Reminded them around 3pm and asked if they could give a detailed break down of costs before delivering it back (as was told firmly last night I won’t get van back until I pay for work done, despite dispute over warranty etc)... I’ve had no reply at all. So have emailed and asked what they have in mind for me for transporting 4 dogs tomorrow...
You simply cannot imagine this stuff...
Any arguments on items not under warranty ate likely to be lost under compensation. Just as my last experience.
I’d much prefer to pay the bill outright for good service, like I do with my 9 year old Renault Megane. Brilliant service with those guys up here...

I once had part or the end of a 12v charger come off and fall into the 12v socket. This shorted out the 12v sockets. Could you try a magnet in them? Also how do they know the fuses aren't original. When you change a fuse they are the same surely?

I once had part or the end of a 12v charger come off and fall into the 12v socket. This shorted out the 12v sockets. Could you try a magnet in them? Also how do they know the fuses aren't original. When you change a fuse they are the same surely?
You can have different fuses, so if it is not the same in colour (exact the same), or the layout is different, then you surely can tell it's not original.

I’ve never used 2 of the 4 sockets until 2 stopped working so tested the others. The device I was using still works in dashboard socket.
I can ask them how they know the fuses aren’t original - good question. They just said they weren’t original factory fitted fuses...

Back