Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Home Electricity & Costs - what are you doing?

On the plus side, I do use the Hue to turn off all of the lights…….once my “better half” has left the building!
In the same way she can’t breath under water or transport herself using time travel, turning lights off is just not a thing!!
Maybe time to put the electricity contract in her name. Energy saving will then become second nature.

What is wrong with that appliance that we all were born with, the finger. Turn lights off in rooms when no one is in them , mechanical thermostatic valves on individual radiators heating room so desired temperatures depending on their use and switching off heating when no one is at home.
All these electronic systems cost energy and materials to make and this should be taken into account when calculating energy use/costs. The finger costs nothing in comparison and rarely breaks down and you have 9 spares .
Not a fan of the “fridge-connected-to-your-Wi-Fi “ I take it? :D:D

Not a fan of the “fridge-connected-to-your-Wi-Fi “ I take it? :D:D
Exactly.
A " Invention " for a problem that doesn't exist, as with many " Things " advertised to make life easier.
If people really, really want to lower their impact on the climate AND the environment then it simply boils down to less "stuff " and less " energy " use in the round.

Exactly.
A " Invention " for a problem that doesn't exist, as with many " Things " advertised to make life easier.
If people really, really want to lower their impact on the climate AND the environment then it simply boils down to less "stuff " and less " energy " use in the round.
I agree with @WelshGas. The problem is that making and selling solutions to problems that don’t exist (wants not needs) is 50% of trade, trade creates wealth and wealth gives the illusion of happiness.
Can’t live with it, can’t live without it.

Interesting. As Moes is Zigbee compatible, I am sure it would work with Samsung Smartthings. Would you know?

Edit: as with all things new, lots of differing information on the web. Mostly stories of not working. Along with a smartthings and philips hue hub, don't want to add another moes hub to the mix!
I’m not using Smartthings but did find this:-
How do I connect Zigbee to SmartThings?

1. From the front dashboard of SmartThings, tap +.
  2. Select Device.
  3. Select a brand and the device. Follow the steps displayed on the screen to pair that Zigbee or WiFi device.
  4. Plug the Zigbee / WiFi device into power and/or scan the device's QR code.
I have Google nest mesh Wi-Fi, Sonos, Zigbee, Hue, SkyQ with mini boxes all work ok together.

Like probably a few on here I can remember in my childhood waking up to a freezing cold bedroom with ice on the inside of the windows. I’m still around BUT there is no way I’m going to freeze for anybody regardless of the cost. Back in the 50s and 60s you had no choice but now in 2022 you do have. Eating and Heating are today’s priorities for us. Compared to some countries we are very fortunate.

We also have a house full of Hue kit. Without a word of exaggeration, frustration is a daily occurrence.
The whole system has a mind of its own!
Trying to get timers/automations to work flawlessly is impossible.
At best I’d say 80% reliable.
Our latest addition were motion sensors in the hallway/stairs/landing.
Approx 1 year in and they’re starting to just not work.
I’m not a Luddite and love shiny stuff but FFS, talk about solving a non existent problem.
I’ve noticed that any Hue lights that are fitted in table lamps will come on and stay on following a power outage. Not great if you’re away on holiday.

Exactly.
And fewer children. Every new soul is a new consumer. I’ll put my hard hat on now :)

BTW, counting children and grandchildren my wife and I are responsible for 8 new consumers so far !!!!!!!! So, guilty as charged.

What am I doing? Not much really. Except that I'm making the family a little more conscious of whether we NEED an appliance, lighting, heating etc on. If you're cold, turn the heating on, but if there's no one in the house, there's no sense in heating an empty house. Similarly if no one is in a room, turn the light off.

I am sure, given we are on this forum discussing the use of what must be considered a luxury item, that most of us are insulated (pun intended) from the worst of the financial difficulties caused by the fuel price increases. I worry for those whose household budgets are counted to the last £1.

Installed Heat Genius system on New Years Eve 2018. (Wife went to work, Night shift, and I’d just had the delivery that day)
I can now adjust each room to a perfect temperature.
New Worcester Bosch Boiler in August 2021. .
Mine had been in for 22 years.
Finally got rid of Daughter and her BoyF after 2.5 years. Gas & Elec gone down from a predicated £479 a month to around £220 a month.
They used cooker and oven 2 times a day.
Washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher on EVERY day !
Now only every 4 or 5 days.
So I’m quids in. As they didn’t pay anything to help them save £25k for 10% deposit :cheers

I don't see power saving in any way as being beneficial to me.

What I see is a wasteful and indulgent third world. At the last "one hour switch off" to conserve peak time usage Octopus calculated enough energy was saved by the 288,300 customers taking part that a gas powered generator could have been switched off. I doubt that many of those 288,300 suffered great pain and inconvenience by contributing to what was a massive energy saving.

I do not understand the practicalities of that. I do understand, that without too much inconvenience, I was able to think about my energy usage, apply restraint at a critical period, and reduce consumption drastically.

A war in Europe that could explode into a nuclear disaster is being funded by the decadent waste of energy in the first world. Last night as I read a book by lantern light I felt quite motivated by the fact we could all do something, without causing too much pain to ourselves, to deprive an aggressor of his income to fund a war.

Last edited:
What is wrong with that appliance that we all were born with, the finger. Turn lights off in rooms when no one is in them , mechanical thermostatic valves on individual radiators heating room so desired temperatures depending on their use and switching off heating when no one is at home.
All these electronic systems cost energy and materials to make and this should be taken into account when calculating energy use/costs. The finger costs nothing in comparison and rarely breaks down and you have 9 spares .
And all these gizmos use a ton of chips. Then people complain having to wait ages for their new vehicles….

Interesting. As Moes is Zigbee compatible, I am sure it would work with Samsung Smartthings. Would you know?
Getting a bit off topic, I expect the compatibility problems with Hue, Zigbee and the like are over, now that last month the free new software standard MATTER has been launched for home appliances.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Getting a bit off topic, I expect the compatibility problems with Hue, Zigbee and the like are over, now that last month the free new software standard MATTER has been launched for home appliances.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Yes Marc, looking forward to that, but I suspect full-compatibility is a few years away ... and then as with all products, not sure if they will build backward compatibility ... but yes, something to look forward to.

I don't see power saving in any way as being beneficial to me.

What I see is a wasteful and indulgent third world. At the last "one hour switch off" to conserve peak time usage Octopus calculated enough energy was saved by the 288,300 customers taking part that a gas powered generator could have been switched off. I doubt that many of those 288,300 suffered great pain and inconvenience by contributing to what was a massive energy saving.

I do not understand the practicalities of that. I do understand, that without too much inconvenience, I was able to think about my energy usage, apply restraint at a critical period, and reduce consumption drastically.

A war in Europe that could explode into a nuclear disaster is being funded by the decadent waste of energy in the first world. Last night as I read a book by lantern light I felt quite motivated by the fact we could all do something, without causing too much pain to ourselves, to deprive an aggressor of his income to fund a war.
Yeah, I sat watching the World Cup last night marvelling at the enormous well lit and air conditioned stadium and it’s power consumption. I then drifted to wondering how many flights had crossed the globe to get the fans to Saudi-Adubai or wherever it’s being held and all the largely unnecessary fuel that was burned.
After that, my head hurt and I just opened another beer.

Yeah, I sat watching the World Cup last night marvelling at the enormous well lit and air conditioned stadium and it’s power consumption. I then drifted to wondering how many flights had crossed the globe to get the fans to Saudi-Adubai or wherever it’s being held and all the largely unnecessary fuel that was burned.
After that, my head hurt and I just opened another beer.

Snap, although mine was a bottle of wine.

Installed Heat Genius system on New Years Eve 2018. (Wife went to work, Night shift, and I’d just had the delivery that day)
I can now adjust each room to a perfect temperature.
New Worcester Bosch Boiler in August 2021. .
Mine had been in for 22 years.
Finally got rid of Daughter and her BoyF after 2.5 years. Gas & Elec gone down from a predicated £479 a month to around £220 a month.
They used cooker and oven 2 times a day.
Washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher on EVERY day !
Now only every 4 or 5 days.
So I’m quids in. As they didn’t pay anything to help them save £25k for 10% deposit :cheers
I can confirm getting rid of millennials (lad and his GF) from the house is the biggest cost saver out there. For all their talk they’ve no idea when it come to saving money and the environment.

Hi @Tartan-terror
Been looking at this but can’t find the menu. Maybe it’s because my Hue Bridge is quite old bow?
I have the square looking bridge. The previous was round. I think mine is a least 10 yrs old.
Try this - go to settings; select lights; choose a light you want to configure. You should see the following …
1669213258542.png
Click on the line that’s has ‘power on’. That should give you the screen I showed in previous post.
Also worth checking your Hue App is up to date.

I can confirm getting rid of millennials (lad and his GF) from the house is the biggest cost saver out there. For all their talk they’ve no idea when it come to saving money and the environment.
You’re not wrong :)

I have the square looking bridge. The previous was round. I think mine is a least 10 yrs old.
Try this - go to settings; select lights; choose a light you want to configure. You should see the following …
View attachment 102409
Click on the line that’s has ‘power on’. That should give you the screen I showed in previous post.
Also worth checking your Hue App is up to date.
Unfortunately no luck. I have the old round Hue Bridge. I think that's the issue. No longer supported.

Yeah, I sat watching the World Cup last night on my 70" telly in my centrally heated house marvelling at the enormous well lit and air conditioned stadium and it’s power consumption.
After that, my head hurt and I just opened another near frozen imported beer from my American style fridge freezer .

It's pretty common there to have air conditioned external pavements, no different to us using patio heaters I suppose.

Back