Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Club Meet Informal Meet Lechlade 1-4th October 2021

Hi Gillian,
Will there be space for us for Saturday night only (arriving Saturday after lunch and leaving some time when good and ready on Sunday) Self, Wife Kim, 2 Labradors (one a puppy)?
Hi Graham
Yes there certainly is.
Look forward to seeing you then.
How old is your puppy? I hope to have my 16 week old Border Terrier Rusty with me. It will be his first adventure in the van .

Almost the same age. Should be fun. We've tried her for a couple of nights in the van and she was (relatively) good.

Almost the same age. Should be fun. We've tried her for a couple of nights in the van and she was (relatively) good.

There is a link on my original post to their web site and that gives the what-three-words
Hi Gillian, Looking forward to the weekend. There looks to be some interesting walking around Lechlade. May plan a walk for the Saturday as the dog will need a leg stretch if anyone would like to join us. The Thames path looks interesting

Hi,
Wondering if there had been an update with the details? Looking forwards to this.

For those not familiar with Lechlade, a little bit of local info you might find helpful. I live here :)

Pubs : in walking distance from the campsite you have the Riverside Inn right by Halfpenny Bridge over the Thames. Plenty of outdoor seating, pretty decent. Should you drive there, their car park is 'pay and display' managed by a parking company who regularly issue fines so make sure you have a valid ticket. In the market square you have the New Inn - indoor seating only, nice restaurant. Follow the Thames beyond Halfpenny Bridge to St John's lock, and over the road you have The Trout - again, right on the river. The Trout is my personal favourite - proper local pub, do a lot for the local community, staff abolutely lovely, often have free live music. Food at the Trout is more traditional home cooked - nothing too fancy but good quality.

Cafes/Restaurants : Lynwoods is the main cafe in the Market Square - not the cheapest, but very nice. Across the road you have Sourdough Revolution - as the name suggests, mainly a sourdough bread shop but do coffee, snacks and pizza. There's a fish and chip shop (Monica's), Indian restaurant/takeaway (Khushi) - can recommend. There's also a Chinese further up the road towards Burford but doesn't have a good reputation.

Shops/supermarkets : Londis opposite the Market Square, Co-op (with filling station) on the main road towards Burford. Super proper butcher/greengrocer (Cutlers) - their homemade sausages are excellent. Also a large garden centre with the usual cafe and assortment of retail franchise outlets inside.

Walks : loads of options, but close to the campsite is a footbridge over to the south bank of the Thames - follow the river to Inglesham to a very unique little church built in 1205 with an amazing interior. About 20 mins walk I think.

Hope that's useful.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR LECHLADE MEET

My list of attendees for Lechlade is as follows. Please let me know if I have missed anyone. We still have spaces should anyone else like to join us.
@Jabberwocky
@Calimagg
@EddieEagle
@Jane
@joneseyitalia
@OceanV
@Saesneg Shaun
@Eagle58
@Barnress
@T3Z-GB
@Graham C

Visiting for the day
@nickb77
@SimonB
@Colin Rodens

INFORMAL CALIFORNIA MEET 1-3 OCTOBER

IMPORTANT INFORMATION​

The event is located at the Lechlade K9 Centre

https://lechladek9centre.com/

Please look at their directions for the best way to find it – don’t use the Satnav but rather what3words. I will be putting signs and/or balloons at the end of the lane. The lane is single track but there are passing places. It is bumpy but just go with care. When you go down the lane the road bends to the right and the venue is a bit further on the left.

///bonnet.swoop.custodian

Access is from 5pm on Friday evening and the gates will be open until 22.00. We can’t get in before that as it is a working business and there will be dogs leaving through the afternoon.

In the event that the gates are closed please call our host Jackie Clarke on

07989 167135

When you arrive please wait on the hardstanding and either Jackie or I will come and show you the way to the field.

On Saturday the centre will again be operational and the gates will be open from early until 3 or 4 pm. Again, if they are closed please call Jackie.

While we are on site we will have two ‘client’ toilets for our use and an ensuite shower/toilet in the mobile home.

An elsan point is available in the form of a manhole by the house. Please just ask if you need to use this.

If the weather is bad and the grass too wet there is a large hardstanding area we can use. There are also two hook-ups for emergency use.

There is the option to stay the Sunday night too but you would either have to leave very early on the Monday (gates open at 7am) or leave it until after 10.30 when the day boarders have arrived.

DOGS

Dogs are welcome but please keep them on a lead when near the buildings and under control at all times. There are fields where the dogs can be exercised and although these are surrounded by thick hedges they are not completely secure. A river/ditch runs round the perimeter. There are also 5 sheep which will be a pen so please be mindful of them and keep dogs well away and on a lead. Some lovely walks surround the farm and Jackie will be able to give you the details.

LECHLADE

Lechlade is on the river Thames and there are quite a few pubs, shops and restaurants Which are about a 20 minute walk away.

Please ensure you bring a torch to walk back at night as there are no street lights and the road is uneven.

COST

The cost is £20 a night per van payable in cash. If you could bring the correct amount it would be appreciated.

FINALLY

This is very much a trial run to see if the venue works for us and for Jackie. We will have sole use of a huge field and a friendly and welcoming host.

If you need to get hold of me for any reason my mobile is 07860 629043

Look forward to seeing you there.

Gillian

Hi all, sorry but will have to cancel this weekend. A few things have conspired against us this week and also still fuel troubles down this way and Cali is empty. Would love to join you all the next time. Enjoy

Hi all, sorry but will have to cancel this weekend. A few things have conspired against us this week and also still fuel troubles down this way and Cali is empty. Would love to join you all the next time. Enjoy
That’s a shame. Know what you mean about fuel. It is terrible in Basingstoke. There was a small garage on the A316 in one of the villages before Lechlade that looked as though it had all pumps working and no queue! I might fill up there on the way home on Sunday.

I am at Lechlade now and the field is great. Private and flat.
I am putting VWCC Signs at the entrance to the lane and also hopefully some balloons!
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. This is a great venue so if it works for us all then I will host a summer meet next year.

Hi all,
Unfortunately I need to cancel to. Part for the Calli finally arrived, hopefully this will be the end of the problems.

Unfortunately Work commitments mean we aren't going to be there until Saturday morning now but will hopefully see you then.

Hi Gillian, we have enough fuel for a return trip so still planning on coming along but I do have a question. What with all the rain we have had in the last 24 hrs and the forecast for the weekend how well drained is the site?

Hi Gillian, we have enough fuel for a return trip so still planning on coming along but I do have a question. What with all the rain we have had in the last 24 hrs and the forecast for the weekend how well drained is the site?
I think it is fine. I am moving down there today. There is a massive hardstanding area too if you would prefer to be on that.

OK, thanks. Will do a reconnoitring when we arrive.

For anyone concerned about getting fuel in or around Lechlade, latest info I have (living here)

Tesco Cirencester : operating normally. We called in there on Wednesday evening. No queues at all, everything available. People still saying that it's open and has fuel

Shell Fairford : had a delivery last night so fuel currently available

Co-op Lechlade : currently has fuel, but earlier this morning it was busier than normal.

Of course, could all change in the next couple of days but things do seem to be much better now.

For anyone concerned about getting fuel in or around Lechlade, latest info I have (living here)

Tesco Cirencester : operating normally. We called in there on Wednesday evening. No queues at all, everything available. People still saying that it's open and has fuel

Shell Fairford : had a delivery last night so fuel currently available

Co-op Lechlade : currently has fuel, but earlier this morning it was busier than normal.

Of course, could all change in the next couple of days but things do seem to be much better now.
Thank you Nick. That is really helpful.

In the field enjoying the sunshine.
I have put small VWCC signs on the lampposts either side of the lane and balloons on the telegraph pole where you turn. Follow the lane down until you see another set of balloons and this is your destination.
see you all soon.

E644D6BC-CD03-4595-A3C2-4E3232EEEB0C.jpeg

F2F156D7-911B-4B81-9FEB-256CE3D99F83.jpeg

CE39DE7D-E7E6-4D85-A101-4D04197E3A69.jpeg

Well, this was about 20:00 hrs today. Great evening chat with everyone.

25398968-55A8-4281-A4EF-D76DE50BBCAC.jpeg

For all those at the meet, Jackie has very kindly said we can use her training room for a social get together this evening. Dogs welcome on a lead and bring your own drink, food and a chair if you want to sit. There are some chairs there.
I’ll try and come to each van when the rain eases in case you don’t see this but all welcome! Time 6.30 onwards.

I am at Lechlade now and the field is great. Private and flat.
I am putting VWCC Signs at the entrance to the lane and also hopefully some balloons!
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. This is a great venue so if it works for us all then I will host a summer meet next year.
Thanks Gill, I missed this and it would have been really helpful :rolleyes: