Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is 4 motion really necessary?

some people believe that 4wd is like an invincibility cloak, as some one said it is predominantly 2WD and kicks into 4wd when needed. You also pay a boat load more on fuel, unless you really really need it - just get winter tyres! watch the video!! I used to work an land rover , the saying there was "snow on the ground, add 3 grand" , cant believe people think 4wd is the answer for the usually tame british winter.

I think you're assuming the average car buyer has a greater understanding of the tyres factor versus the 4WD/AWD factor, than they actually do. I suspect the "surprise" in the vid actually would be a big surprise to many people. That doesn't make them stupid, it's just not the sort of knowledge that's naturally acquired in everyday driving, on UK roads anyway.
Agree, bet most UK drivers would never have heard of Winter tyres, let alone considered having 2 sets of tyres.

some people believe that 4wd is like an invincibility cloak, as some one said it is predominantly 2WD and kicks into 4wd when needed. You also pay a boat load more on fuel, unless you really really need it - just get winter tyres! watch the video!! I used to work an land rover , the saying there was "snow on the ground, add 3 grand" , cant believe people think 4wd is the answer for the usually tame british winter.
If as you say 4M uses a boat load more fuel but only runs on 2WD the majority of the time can you please quantify 'a boat load of fuel more used'

If 4Motion runs in FWD most of the time, which is not correct, would those who believe this care to explain why tyre wear is virtually equal front to rear?. Confirmed on my 4Motion over 4 sets of tyres whereas a friend with a FWD Transporter has had significantly greater wear front to rear.

If 4Motion runs in FWD most of the time, which is not correct, would those who believe this care to explain why tyre wear is virtually equal front to rear?. Confirmed on my 4Motion over 4 sets of tyres whereas a friend with a FWD Transporter has had significantly greater wear front to rear.

Its the drivetrain drag on the rear wheels. Joke but partly true. If the 4 motion is 10% less efiicient on fuel where is the energy going. I found more even wear on my 4 motion cars all of them from Audi s3 to passat alltrack but equally the front still went down a fair it quicker. Im quite a spirited driver or was.

You cant believe ,is a presumption that us 4 motion buyers dont get it yet the truth is probably the reverse.

I dont pay the extra cost lightly and the cali was the hardest to justify but in the end the inevitable compromise made it worth it to us.
I will get all season tyres ( for the mud) and have 4wd on the cali , in fact I already have a shogun on M+S tyres and an X3 on summer tyres.
\
Why ? Because fwd doesnt have the traction I desire in wet weather and muddy fields. Try putting down 313 ps /465lb ft through front wheels. even in the dry. Most people will drive on summer tyres in the summer and we know that AWD has a significant advantage in inclement weather and mud.

Contrary to what many believe on a number of occasions AWD has got me and the other half where we want to get whilst others have been stuck. Oh and we use low range also another myth.

This guy in Switzerland seemed to cope pretty with well with 2wd...
2wd is very capable, fitted with the right tyres and some proper driving knowledge.

Reached the summit no problem apparently.

CCE52C69-58D3-4229-831C-1E3357B0DA11.jpeg
865B075D-CAFA-47AE-8829-10084F840922.jpeg

Certainly, but as you can see, he had chains on his front wheels. The only good solution in this situation.
Dry packed snow gives good traction. Wet, fresh snow or slush is a different matter as is mud or slippery grass.

Biggest problem in snow is starting off, once in motion inertia gives the most benefit to constant progress.

Biggest problem in snow is starting off, once in motion inertia gives the most benefit to constant progress.

I find not using any accelerator and let the vehicle creep forward works best. Foot off the brake and give it a few seconds to get going. The advantage of a diesel and DSG.

I find not using any accelerator and let the vehicle creep forward works best. Foot off the brake and give it a few seconds to get going. The advantage of a diesel and DSG.
Yes, just treat the Cali as you would yourself on foot on ice, no sudden movements and great care with changes in direction.

We have 4M but thats what it had as a pre reg vehicle

I would have specced it as 4M anyway so am pleased we have it

I accept 4wd is not the be all and end all to bad conditions as although it may get going where a 2wd would not it still will not stop any quicker

The real key of course is snow driving skill sadly lacking in most drivers in the UK so i expect to get stuck because of nincompoops that have got stuck in front of me just the same as i do every year in my Audi Allroad ( a different 4wd system)

However i live in a rural location on top of a hill so providing i dont get stuck behind an idiot in his merc/BMW wanker mobile on its fat tyres and too much BHP i will be ok and be able to get home or to the office

Plus of course i have seen way too many vehicles defeated by some wet grass and a slight slope

However i live in a rural location on top of a hill so providing i dont get stuck behind an idiot in his merc/BMW wanker mobile on its fat tyres and too much BHP i will be ok and be able to get home or to the office

Plus of course i have seen way too many vehicles defeated by some wet grass and a slight slope

I thought Audi's were the new wanker mobiles? :p

Funnily enough I binned my then X3 off road being a wanker in the snow. I over took this div doing 10mph...he was going way to slow and about a further mile down the road whilst I was going rather too briskly I believe I may have blipped the throttle coming around a slight bend and out came the backend and continued for a bit going sideways before the car, seemed to grip and shot forward heading directly towards a tree, Id braced myself before the car settled side-on to the tree inches away from harm. I still have no idea how I got away with it. Instead I embarrassingly and thankfully rejoined the road having pooped it quite a lot!

Now, it wasnt due to the 4WD that had me driving a little too briskly, but it was simply a lack of respect for the conditions. I'd have done that in a 2WD. However it did wake me up to the fact that 4WD in dodgy weather guarantees little if youre going to be a nob behind the wheel.

My conclusion after reading the whole of this very interesting thread is that

• the right tyres / tires is the key if you have concerns
  • 4 Motion is by no means a necessity in the UK ( I think we know that anyway)
  • non 4 motion on the right tires will do a fantastic job
  • 4 Motion on the right tires in the right (or wrong situation) is better than 2wd.
  • 4 Motion on standard / summer tires offers better levels of grip than 2wd on standard / summer tires.
  • Few of us need 4 motion, Some of us simply get a level of satisfaction and a sense of security out of having 4Motion, others simply dont feel the need for it.
Would that sum up the 5 pages of posts?

I would add that 4 motion should probably be standard on the 204bhp model...
It’s very easy to spin the wheels especially as they are all DSG which gives less acceleration control over a manual vehicle.

It’s not so much of an issue in the 150bhp van, but I personally think VW are taking the p155 with the bigger bhp vans.

I thought Audi's were the new wanker mobiles? :p

Funnily enough I binned my then X3 off road being a wanker in the snow. I over took this div doing 10mph...he was going way to slow and about a further mile down the road whilst I was going rather too briskly I believe I may have blipped the throttle coming around a slight bend and out came the backend and continued for a bit going sideways before the car, seemed to grip and shot forward heading directly towards a tree, Id braced myself before the car settled side-on to the tree inches away from harm. I still have no idea how I got away with it. Instead I embarrassingly and thankfully rejoined the road having pooped it quite a lot!

Now, it wasnt due to the 4WD that had me driving a little too briskly, but it was simply a lack of respect for the conditions. I'd have done that in a 2WD. However it did wake me up to the fact that 4WD in dodgy weather guarantees little if youre going to be a nob behind the wheel.

My conclusion after reading the whole of this very interesting thread is that

• the right tyres / tires is the key if you have concerns
  • 4 Motion is by no means a necessity in the UK ( I think we know that anyway)
  • non 4 motion on the right tires will do a fantastic job
  • 4 Motion on the right tires in the right (or wrong situation) is better than 2wd.
  • 4 Motion on standard / summer tires offers better levels of grip than 2wd on standard / summer tires.
  • Few of us need 4 motion, Some of us simply get a level of satisfaction and a sense of security out of having 4Motion, others simply dont feel the need for it.
Would that sum up the 5 pages of posts?
Audi are indeed the new wanker mobile and that saddens me as Im not and the allroad 3.0 bi turbo is just a class and understated monster of a car

Having said that i have just found this lever on the left of the steering wheel that goes up or down and when it does it makes a green light flash on the dash board

It must have been an optional extra and i should read the book to see what it is

4WD is good for mud. There's lots of mud in Norfolk. We wouldn't be without 4WD. Pays your money, takes your choice.
That's our choice and we have been smug many times.
Takes the pressure off in snow too.

Hello Redrick - I have also recently found the same unusual shaped lever in the left side of the steering wheel in my Audi Allroad biturbo that flashes green arrows in the dashboard. Ruins what is otherwise a wonderful car.

Hello Redrick - I have also recently found the same unusual shaped lever in the left side of the steering wheel in my Audi Allroad biturbo that flashes green arrows in the dashboard. Ruins what is otherwise a wonderful car.
And seriously the ything that really annoys me is the inability to actually turn off the radio/ media player

Other than that just fantastic and may i heartily recomend a re map to 380BHP for the full fat wolf in sheeps clothing

Audi are indeed the new wanker mobile and that saddens me as Im not and the allroad 3.0 bi turbo is just a class and understated monster of a car

Having said that i have just found this lever on the left of the steering wheel that goes up or down and when it does it makes a green light flash on the dash board

It must have been an optional extra and i should read the book to see what it is
Could that green light thing be telling you that you aren't yet close enough to the car in front? :thumb

Could that green light thing be telling you that you aren't yet close enough to the car in front? :thumb
No i have a special thing on the dash for that and it shows me a picture of 2 cars when i am close enough but that goes off if i am too far away although the Buzzer to cheer me on is a bit annoying

Hi,
I am still working on my first purchase of a VW California. Unfortunately, there isn't much available in Spain at the right price. The exchange rate is a killer at the moment and prices here are generally high for vehicles with starship mileage. Importing just attracts Spanish taxes that defeat any cost savings. My original wish was to go for a new T6 150 4 MO DSG, but I have since come across a 2015 T5 DSG Comfortline (similar to Ocean) which has only 17.5k kilometres on the clock and is in immaculate condition. It also has all the knobs bells & whistles including extras such as a VW bike rack, xenon headlamps etc but it does not have 4 motion. The vehicle is priced at 50k euros and I might be able to make a cheeky bid at less than that. This is a considerable saving on a new T6 as described above. Assuming the second hand vehicle is as good as it is described, I would value opinions on the alternative of a T5 FWD Ocean from people who own one. We are unlikely to do any really serious off road stuff so I think I could probably lose the 4 Motion. What do people think?
Just get some winter tires fraction on the cost and go anywere

2WD and Michelin Crossclimate+ SUV or similar SUV type tyre will get you through most situations.

I have 4WD which was a must for my holiday location.

Back