Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this a T4 California?

That did the trick! According to the VIN, it is a 1995 EuroVan, body style "2 Doors Camper Van". So, I guess VW did get some campers produced that were not Californias per se, but were converted by Westfalia!
Interestingly I just ran the VIN of our 2012 California through that site, attached results, that doesn’t indicate it’s a California but it is so maybe yours still might be!

Either way looks like you’ve got a great looking camper :thumb

0D918B30-710D-4771-9244-1598D334DA33.png

Last edited:
Interestingly I just ran the VIN of our 2012 California through that site, attached results, that doesn’t indicate it’s a California but it is so maybe yours still might be!

Either way looks like you’ve got a great looking camper :thumb

View attachment 82196View attachment 82196
This is all rather interesting! I am cool any which way, but feel better knowing it was not hacked together later but originated as (or was built to be converted to) a camper van. As Perfectos said, maybe writing VW would be useful, so I can do that as well. But for now, I feel better.

It seems very much to me like this van was made for the overseas market and so while it may not be a California, it is a close relative, being fitted out by Westfalia off the same basic van. I believe its INTENDED destination was Canada (thus the left-side steering wheel) and then it was imported to Japan, where it spent most of its life.

Someone was selling a set of those middle seats in the UK last year after they got them for an exclusive and realised they didn't have the space.

Love those wheels too! I've got three sets now!

Hello, I'm going to respond as well and don't want to offend people with this, but some clarity is needed, I think.
  • A T4 converted by westfalia is actually a vw westfalia and not a converted van; the name of that vehicle is california: vw westfalia california.
    Volkswagen did not make any T4 buses as a small camper van, but they were sold through the VW dealers. It was a 'genuine volkswagen product' for them, but not made by them. The transporters (multivan or caravelle versions) went by train to the Westfalia factory (Rheda-Wiedenbrück in North Rhine-Westphalia) where they became a vw westfalia. However, the kepler range westfalia's built on the vw transporter basis are now made in France.
  • Volkswagen had by then only made a camper on the basis of the T3 itself (T25 in the UK and Vanagon in the USA): the california and then according to procedure / help from westfalia; this one was a much simplified and cheaper version of the joker. Joker is therefore a name of Westfalia and not of Volkswagen...
  • The finish of the cabinets and trim of the one in your photos is the original trim from the early years of California; after that came special series with their specific covering (the kactus being the best known because it later became standard except for many special versions). This upholstery material is a grey flat woven fabric with blue stripes and pattern known as “Flockwürfel” which translates to something like “Flock cubes”.
  • Where they were shipped to (Japan, Canada) has no effect on the data as all T4 westfalia's come from the same factory and have been slightly (really minor) modified for the destination (just look for one with the right wheel drive side: minor adjustments thus ;) ).
  • Volkswagen has -after the test with the T3 california- adapted the T5 as a california because westfalia, which was having a hard time at the time because, among other things, sold their beautiful museum!, was taken over by ... mercedes and volkswagen really didn't go with their new transporter (T5) supply to mercedes to turn it into the new westfalia campervan. They preferred to do it themselves, did the investments and adapted the layout of the T4 california. This vehicle we all know as the california of Volkswagen itself: a beautiful vehicle with clever finds that many imitate but -and each has his own opinion on this- no one can imitate... unless Westfalia itself, just look at the Kepler 6: slightly longer, so more space and just as nice and good (this is also my opinion, everyone has their own idea about this).
    Westfalia now is acquired by the French Rapido group and is doing well.
Well, it's a very nice bus and I think -from what I see- could be a genuine westfalia california. But hard to say… I can't figure it out.
The door trim shows that it is rather a converted eurovan (as it says on the back and so called with you); the westfalia california always had a multivan (or caravelle too) as the base vehicle and had upholstered door panels.
EDIT: don't quote me on that because maybe a certain range had an uncoated door panel (maybe the standard caravelle or mulitivan didn't have coated door panels at the time, I'm just saying)
But nevertheless: Congratulations and enjoy!
Nice that you have the extra couch although very heavy, it seems to be rare. The wheels are the most beautiful of all original alloy wheels.
Keep in mind that the first T4 California are also getting old and have only recently become more popular, so a 100% original is not so obvious. So, those simple door panels may have been inserted afterwards because the original ones were broken, for example.
Do you have any papers from volkswagen that show it is an original westfalia? I already saw the type plate, but it may also have been placed afterwards. Is being done...
EDIT: best is to check the VIN number: should start with VW2: Leisure vehicles (Campers, Multivan, Caravelles, Eurovans, Kombis. In short: passenger transport). This is already a good indication.
+ The service booklet contains the following sticker (which is also on the fuse box) for instance:
WV2zzz70 z YH102831
CALIFORNIA COACHKR
75KW TDI 5G
ACV 225733 DXZ
LB3Y00000000UC

and then the list of execution options.
EDIT: Some extra info but I haven't been able to verify this yet because I couldn't compare yet: The difference in the bodywork between a WV2 chassis number and a WV1 chassis number includes that the rabbet/groove on a WV2 is a bit deeper. This has the effect that the windows are located "deeper" in the body. This of course mainly refers to the fixed windows & sliding windows and not the folding window as in some versions.

For your information and for reading pleasure: http://www.westfaliat4.info/html/vw_westfalia_t4_transporter_model_history.html
Greetings
Calibusje
Picture of us at the gates of Westfalia Van Conversion GmbH
1794671_734941759872903_289766581_n.jpg
Our bus is from April 1991; a very early one built when the intended factories/buildings in Hannover were not yet ready and the transporter T4 was built in the Audi factory in Neckarsulm: 'the first series'. These were galvanized in certain places and can withstand rust significantly better than later T4s.

Last edited:
Nice VW you've got there! And thank you so much for all that great information!

OK, first, I have the van finally! It has these plaques in it showing it was fitted out by Westfalia-Werke.

I do not have a service booklet for it, and I have no idea where the fuse box is (to check it it says "CALIFORNIA COACHKR").

On the seat, I can hereby attest that it is not as heavy as I feared. I was able to remove it solo flip it around, install it backwards, take it out again, and then install it in its original orientation. I had to kind of angle it off my hip, but at no point did I feel it was tremendously heavy. (Note: I am a weak and feeble man, spending most of my time at my desk, typing on this thread, apparently :) )

Oh, and on the seat, I would say that it can definitely be safely reversed. It clicks in backwards quite solidly. However, the leg room is only deep enough for one set of legs. So I am going to nix my plans for facing seats, unless I can figure a way to safely extend the rail (extreme doubts there and will likely not try).

One other question...draining the wastewater. This van does not have a lever to drop it through the floor but appears to only have a port on the side (near the rear bumper) to maybe suck it out? Does that sound right? Am I missing something? I'd like to be able to drain it without needing special equipment...

THANK YOU!

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 3.53.28 PM.png

Its the real thing man. :thumb

Westfalia was the Eurovan - North American conversion.

Nice. I thought it was genuine. I don’t think the Westfalia name meant much in the US/Canada market so VW didn’t brand them as such.

The ‘port’ near the rear bumper is where you plug-in a mains electric cable. The waste water lever is normally in the cupboard under the cooker. It may be elsewhere in a van of this age but I couldn’t guess where. @sidepod may know as he owned (owns) one from this era.

Glad to hear the seat almost does as you hoped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirm. Waster water drain valve is in the cupboard below the sink.

Confirm. Waster water drain valve is in the cupboard below the sink.
No, there is no drain valve under the sink. Tube just goes left. There are TWO ports on the outside. The one closer to the front is electric. The one in the back is for waste water. I will shoot a photo.

I'll also crawl under it. I imagine the wastewater tank is in the BACK, and maybe there is a drain valve under it, not just the port to suck water out.

Nice VW you've got there! And thank you so much for all that great information!

OK, first, I have the van finally! It has these plaques in it showing it was fitted out by Westfalia-Werke.

I do not have a service booklet for it, and I have no idea where the fuse box is (to check it it says "CALIFORNIA COACHKR").

On the seat, I can hereby attest that it is not as heavy as I feared. I was able to remove it solo flip it around, install it backwards, take it out again, and then install it in its original orientation. I had to kind of angle it off my hip, but at no point did I feel it was tremendously heavy. (Note: I am a weak and feeble man, spending most of my time at my desk, typing on this thread, apparently :) )

Oh, and on the seat, I would say that it can definitely be safely reversed. It clicks in backwards quite solidly. However, the leg room is only deep enough for one set of legs. So I am going to nix my plans for facing seats, unless I can figure a way to safely extend the rail (extreme doubts there and will likely not try).

One other question...draining the wastewater. This van does not have a lever to drop it through the floor but appears to only have a port on the side (near the rear bumper) to maybe suck it out? Does that sound right? Am I missing something? I'd like to be able to drain it without needing special equipment...

THANK YOU!

View attachment 82583

View attachment 82584

View attachment 82585
Smashed it ;)

Extra info (but maybe you know already), anyway: the waste water is in a tank behind the kitchen unit. You empty this tank with the lever at the bottom left of the cabinet (see photo): lever up (b): closed, lever down/horizontal (a): open. The drainage channel is at the bottom (see right photo with the white arrow). If your van doesn't have the lever, it could have a twist cap. In any case, I wouldn't suck on the tube at the bottom of your bus to drain your dirty water ;)
Greetings
Screenshot 2021-08-04 23.33.21.png
EDIT: does the van has an underfloor gastank?

Last edited:
Extra info (but maybe you know already), anyway: the waste water is in a tank behind the kitchen unit. You empty this tank with the lever at the bottom left of the cabinet (see photo): lever up (b): closed, lever down/horizontal (a): open. The drainage channel is at the bottom (see right photo with the white arrow). If your van doesn't have the lever, it could have a twist cap. In any case, I wouldn't suck on the tube at the bottom of your bus to drain your dirty water ;)
Greetings
View attachment 82604
EDIT: does the van has an underfloor gastank?
On the gas tank, it is a cylinder, under the van, refillable from outdoors.

On the gas tank, it is a cylinder, under the van, refillable from outdoors.
If he has that too, and possibly a screw cap to drain the dirty water, then you can be sure that you have a real vw westfalia california; one with some changes for the -I think- Canadian market where it was sold.
Your campervan looks ace :thumb

We used to own a VW Westfalia T4 California, build in 1994. Sold it about 2 years ago. It was in really really good condition. I'll add some photo's, so you can compare. My guess would be that you have an original that has been changed slightly over the years.

The window over the kitchen is a good example. Eventually this window always started to leak, so it was often replaced. But in recent years even finding a replacement was incredibly tough and it would really cost a lot of money. So it's not strange if someone opted for a non-original window as a replacement.

1-2-scaled.jpg

20200517_115542-scaled.jpg

20200517_121258-scaled.jpg
20200517_121544-scaled.jpg
20200517_121607-scaled.jpg
20200517_120542-scaled.jpg
20200517_120323-scaled.jpg
20200517_115918-scaled.jpg
20200517_115901-scaled.jpg
20200517_115744-scaled.jpg
20200517_115719-scaled.jpg
20200517_115643-scaled.jpg
20200517_122441-scaled.jpg

We used to own a VW Westfalia T4 California, build in 1994. Sold it about 2 years ago. It was in really really good condition. I'll add some photo's, so you can compare. My guess would be that you have an original that has been changed slightly over the years.

The window over the kitchen is a good example. Eventually this window always started to leak, so it was often replaced. But in recent years even finding a replacement was incredibly tough and it would really cost a lot of money. So it's not strange if someone opted for a non-original window as a replacement.

1-2-scaled.jpg

20200517_115542-scaled.jpg

20200517_121258-scaled.jpg
20200517_121544-scaled.jpg
20200517_121607-scaled.jpg
20200517_120542-scaled.jpg
20200517_120323-scaled.jpg
20200517_115918-scaled.jpg
20200517_115901-scaled.jpg
20200517_115744-scaled.jpg
20200517_115719-scaled.jpg
20200517_115643-scaled.jpg
20200517_122441-scaled.jpg
Nice one you have sold.
And may I ad, like I posted before: Keep in mind that the first T4 California are also getting old and have only recently become more popular, so a 100% original is not so obvious.
Greetings

Thomas,

Thanks for sharing those pics! Interesting, the subtloe differences between the 94 and 95 model years (for example, mine dropped the shoulder harness on the left-side passenger of the bench seat).

The window in mine over the kitchen may be replaced, or maybe they switched it to side-sliding? It matches the other windows perfectly. But who knows!

I am wondering...how would one get at the convenience battery? I think I will need to replace it, but it is pretty hard (OK impossible) to find instruction online on how to access it.

ALSO, this has a power cord for the external power hookup (I guess they did that for the Canadian market). I have not pulled on it yet, not knowing if it retracts or what. Do you know how that works? Does it extend far? And do I just stuff it back in when done? I fear it is like a vacuum cleaner, and if it has a broken spring or something and won't retract, I oculd be in trouble. Just nervous and playing it safe. Any info appreciated!

Thank you again. I really appreciate your thoughts as your van is almost identical to mine!

You can access the leisure battery from in the boot. It lives under the wardrobe next, you should be able to unscrew the panel to reveal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(for example, mine dropped the shoulder harness on the left-side passenger of the bench seat).
The first editions have a lap seat belt.
The window in mine over the kitchen may be replaced, or maybe they switched it to side-sliding? It matches the other windows perfectly. But who knows!
The pop out window didn't last. First and last editions got sliding windows.
I am wondering...how would one get at the convenience battery? I think I will need to replace it, but it is pretty hard (OK impossible) to find instruction online on how to access it.
unnamed.jpg
You just open the battery cupboard, left in the trunk/boot. Unscrew the screws first.
ALSO, this has a power cord for the external power hookup (I guess they did that for the Canadian market). I have not pulled on it yet, not knowing if it retracts or what. Do you know how that works? Does it extend far? And do I just stuff it back in when done? I fear it is like a vacuum cleaner, and if it has a broken spring or something and won't retract, I oculd be in trouble. Just nervous and playing it safe. Any info appreciated!
I don't know: no T4 westfalia california in Europe has this.

Greetings
Calibusje

I don't THINK that is the case in this model. I believe it is under the refrigeratorin the T4 Westfalia camper...?

I don't THINK that is the case in this model. I believe it is under the refrigeratorin the T4 Westfalia camper...?
if it is there, it will be a very small one ;)
image001.png
How it looks under the refridgerator. But some stuff is different with yours because it's a Canadian version, so maybe but I doubt it.

Greetings

Back