Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's arrived!

View attachment 54901
:)
Let me know if you want me to check anything else. Any excuse for me to go out and get in it :thumb smells so good.
I think there is also a socket behind the driver seat on the base but I lost that by getting the rechargeable torch that goes there. Which also becomes a handy floor light. While digging through the bags of extras I also found a tiny rechargeable torch that goes in the cigarette lighter socket. Nice touch!
Could I ask what system you have in your T6.1 'Discover Media' system or the upgrade 'Discover Pro'. I know there is a difference in the spec and screen size. Wondered if on the 'Media' version you can view the satnav on the digital cockpit (really like this) or have to go for the upgrade. In a showroom Ocean noticed when you press the 'media' icon on the 'Pro' if you have a SD card loaded you can play music or video, just wondered if the 'video' were mp4s, the dealer I have spoken is still learning about the specs for the media & Pro systems and not sure what 'video' meant on the SD card? Trying to finalise our order but not sure if we need the 'Pro' upgrade?

Could I ask what system you have in your T6.1 'Discover Media' system or the upgrade 'Discover Pro'. I know there is a difference in the spec and screen size. Wondered if on the 'Media' version you can view the satnav on the digital cockpit (really like this) or have to go for the upgrade. In a showroom Ocean noticed when you press the 'media' icon on the 'Pro' if you have a SD card loaded you can play music or video, just wondered if the 'video' were mp4s, the dealer I have spoken is still learning about the specs for the media & Pro systems and not sure what 'video' meant on the SD card? Trying to finalise our order but not sure if we need the 'Pro' upgrade?
We have ordered the pro. It is obviously more expensive but I bought it for three reasons. 1. You can send destinations from your phone to the car (saves on the faf when sitting in the van setting it up. 2. You can remotely switch-on the heating when a few miles out to have a warm van when your back. 3. You can have maps on both screens - detail in front of you and a wider view on the centre console. It’s a personal choice in the end.

I remembered reading about the new roof bump when the T6.1 was announced (Here). Then I’ve followed up VW literature from the German VW website (which has much more info than the UK site, translated using Google translate). Full details fromVW German site below, you can see which options would need enchanced reception:

Discover Media" navigation system.
The system with a 20.3 cm (8-inch) color touch display including proximity sensors, 4x 20 watts of power and six loudspeakers offers hybrid navigation, a selection of various map options, free map updates via the Internet, 32GB media memory, two external USB and a Bluetooth interface, hybrid voice control and Internet radio. The system supports wireless AppConnect, We Connect and We Connect Plus

"Discover Pro" navigation system
In addition to the functions of the "Discover Media" navigation system, the system offers a 23.4 cm (9.2 inch) color touch display including proximity sensors, a simultaneous display of the navigation map on the digital cockpit8) and the Screen of the navigation system, 64GB media memory and DAB +.
Multi-function display "Premium". Displays important driving and vehicle information in 3D and in color.
Voice control. Control numerous telephone, navigation and audio functions via voice.
Mobile phone interface "Comfort" including inductive charging function. Improves reception and wirelessly charges the battery of compatible smartphones

We Connect System (including the info using an App on your phone). comes as standard
Breakdown call NEW
information call
parking position
Automatic accident notification NEW
vehicle status
Doors & lights
Vehicle condition report
Driving data
Service scheduling

We Connect Plus, also included with Discovey Pro option
Online traffic information NEW
Online search for special destinations
Online map update NEW
Online voice control NEW
Media streaming NEW
Area notification
Online theft warning system
Online parking heater
Locking & unlocking
Web radio NEW
WLANHotspot NEW
Speed notification
Horn & flashing
Online route calculation
Petrol stations and charging stations
Parking spaces

I like things like online parking heater controls (if out for a walk then you can start the heater when you’re 15 mins away) and the online theft warning system.

My mistake, in your first post you said “That aerial is for the amount of drivers aid systems on board.” and I took that to mean driver systems like lane keep assist.

hi all

not Wanting to hijack the good news of the original poster but does anyone know anything of the WiFi capabilities of the 6.1? i.e will I still require a mobile dongle for surfing purposes? or will my cali be able to broad cast WiFi, preferably when the vehicle is switched off.
thank you

hi all

not Wanting to hijack the good news of the original poster but does anyone know anything of the WiFi capabilities of the 6.1? i.e will I still require a mobile dongle for surfing purposes? or will my cali be able to broad cast WiFi, preferably when the vehicle is switched off.
thank you
I haven't tried the WiFi yet but from the manual you can setup the infotainment system as a WiFi hot-spot using the inbuilt sim. I think you need to purchase a data pack from the company they use. You can then connect up to 8 devices. The infotainment system will also behave like a client and connect to your own separate dongle/hot-spot if you prefer. Probably cheaper to run the data connection this way. I'll investigate more on this and see if it works when ignition off and hooked up etc. And post back. :thumb

ok so tried the WiFi hotspot in the infotainment system and seems to work well :) The good news is that it also works with the ignition system off. I also setup the Apple Music streaming service on the head unit and that also works great including when the ignition is off. I used the weconnect app on the phone to activate Apple Music and as I already have an account it gave me 3 months free which is good! Also nice features like using the screen proximity sensors to use swipe gestures to change tracks. Can’t find any documentation in the manuals on the gestures that are supported so may need to do a bit more research.
Now the thing is these systems are great, however I don’t know if these systems will stop after so long (I was out there for quite a while) or if it’s smart enough to switch over to leisure batteries. Maybe it’ll continue to operate when the camping mode is enabled in the camping menu :happy

Would be interesting to know if it is running off the main or the leisure batteries... Could be a game changer for me!!

Would be interesting to know if it is running off the main or the leisure batteries... Could be a game changer for me!!
I thought I had seen in a video that the infotainment system continued to run when on EHU.

ok so tried the WiFi hotspot in the infotainment system and seems to work well :) The good news is that it also works with the ignition system off. I also setup the Apple Music streaming service on the head unit and that also works great including when the ignition is off. I used the weconnect app on the phone to activate Apple Music and as I already have an account it gave me 3 months free which is good! Also nice features like using the screen proximity sensors to use swipe gestures to change tracks. Can’t find any documentation in the manuals on the gestures that are supported so may need to do a bit more research.
Now the thing is these systems are great, however I don’t know if these systems will stop after so long (I was out there for quite a while) or if it’s smart enough to switch over to leisure batteries. Maybe it’ll continue to operate when the camping mode is enabled in the camping menu :happy

Great intel’ thank you

I guess my next would be whether the following option extrrequires a separate data contract or will it allow it be hotspotted (if there’s such a word)

Navigation system "Discover Media Pro" including "Streaming & Internet" - ZI8

Think you have the 'Discover Media' system on your T6.1, can I ask if you have been able to use the satnav on the digital cockpit dashboard, we have decided on the spec for our Ocean except the 'Discover' system, not sure about adding the 'Pro' the dealer hasn't been able to answer my questions on the difference yet, he has not had chance to use both systems to compare. When we had a test drive the Ocean had the 'Pro' version loved having the sat nav on the cockpit display, could see lots of finger marks on the display panel mind you!! I know the 'media' system has the knobs and slightly narrower display, didn't have chance to compare the functions, only the 'Pro' could be used!

Great intel’ thank you

I guess my next would be whether the following option extrrequires a separate data contract or will it allow it be hotspotted (if there’s such a word)

Navigation system "Discover Media Pro" including "Streaming & Internet" - ZI8
I believe you have a choice, either buy a data pack for the on board eSim through the vw partner (set this up through the We Connect phone app.) which will provide data for setting infotainment up as WiFi hot-spot and for audio streaming via apple music and Internet radio. Or have the infotainment system connect to an external wifi point for its data, so a WiFi dongle or mobile Phone. Not sure if a data connection is required for sat nav updates or if has its own reserved connection for this type of data. Fabulous van, not so fabulous manuals/documentation!

Think you have the 'Discover Media' system on your T6.1, can I ask if you have been able to use the satnav on the digital cockpit dashboard, we have decided on the spec for our Ocean except the 'Discover' system, not sure about adding the 'Pro' the dealer hasn't been able to answer my questions on the difference yet, he has not had chance to use both systems to compare. When we had a test drive the Ocean had the 'Pro' version loved having the sat nav on the cockpit display, could see lots of finger marks on the display panel mind you!! I know the 'media' system has the knobs and slightly narrower display, didn't have chance to compare the functions, only the 'Pro' could be used!
Yes, discover media.
So far I’ve been unable to get maps on the driver display. When navigating I can set it to have the upcoming junction/get ready to turn type of information pretty much anywhere but that’s it. It may be possible but I’m starting to think it should be easier and the fact that I haven’t got maps up leads me to think it could be a pro only feature. Manuals are pretty useless so who knows..
I‘m fine with it this way, as its what I’m familiar with.
One thing I am noticing is just how much all the interfaces have the potential to steal your attention when driving. Watch out for this...there’s just so much going on and it’s so configurable on the fly from the steering wheel.

Yes, discover media.
So far I’ve been unable to get maps on the driver display. When navigating I can set it to have the upcoming junction/get ready to turn type of information pretty much anywhere but that’s it. It may be possible but I’m starting to think it should be easier and the fact that I haven’t got maps up leads me to think it could be a pro only feature. Manuals are pretty useless so who knows..
I‘m fine with it this way, as its what I’m familiar with.
One thing I am noticing is just how much all the interfaces have the potential to steal your attention when driving. Watch out for this...there’s just so much going on and it’s so configurable on the fly from the steering wheel.
Great thanks, dealer was having problems on the standard Ocean media system to get full satnav rather than just basic directions on the digital cockpit display, think I will be going for the ‘Pro’ and have to wear gloves so not to finger the display panel!!!

In our Tiguan with the Discover Media system you can have the satnav / map on either the digital cockpit OR the centre dash screen but not both. However you can have the map on one screen and the next turn direction on the other. If you use Apple car play or Android auto you can have the map from the phone app on the centre dash and the VW map on the digital cockpit but as soon as you engage satnav the other map will turn off.

With the Discover Media Pro you can have maps and satnav on both screens at the same time.

As small a difference as it seems, being able to have the map on both screens is actually very useful - particularly if your passenger is helping you navigate!

In our Tiguan with the Discover Media system you can have the satnav / map on either the digital cockpit OR the centre dash screen but not both. However you can have the map on one screen and the next turn direction on the other. If you use Apple car play or Android auto you can have the map from the phone app on the centre dash and the VW map on the digital cockpit but as soon as you engage satnav the other map will turn off.

With the Discover Media Pro you can have maps and satnav on both screens at the same time.

As small a difference as it seems, being able to have the map on both screens is actually very useful - particularly if your passenger is helping you navigate!
Thats what I was expecting. Just can’t get it to show. I’ll have another go.
Due to the rather unusual way that we ended up with the 6.1 we didn’t want to push our luck with the deal so we mostly went for a like for like vehicle from the 6 we’d originally ordered in September plus some extras that vw let us have for no extra. Pushing for the pro may have tipped the balance on the deal and I wasn’t willing to risk it.
re the android auto, I take it you can’t have directions on the driver display in the Tiguan?

Thats what I was expecting. Just can’t get it to show. I’ll have another go.
Due to the rather unusual way that we ended up with the 6.1 we didn’t want to push our luck with the deal so we mostly went for a like for like vehicle from the 6 we’d originally ordered in September plus some extras that vw let us have for no extra. Pushing for the pro may have tipped the balance on the deal and I wasn’t willing to risk it.
re the android auto, I take it you can’t have directions on the driver display in the Tiguan?
Think you’re right. From memory, when using android auto, you only get directions on the main screen.

Details on VW van website..

View attachment 54835
Does anyone know please if this applies retrospectively since I ordered by T6.1 late Oct / Early Nov and am awaiting delivery as I would like to query this with my dealership and wanted to get everyone else's perspective.

Thanks

I was looking at a T6.1 in a dealers in the UK and they had a euro socket behind the passenger seat on the kitchen unit. Just checking on yours if it is a UK socket? Thanks
Was that on the end of the kitchen unit or under a flap on the B pillar base. If its the B pillar then that is normal and is the 150w mains inverter running off the leisure batteries.

Was that on the end of the kitchen unit or under a flap on the B pillar base. If its the B pillar then that is normal and is the 150w mains inverter running off the leisure batteries.

It was on the kitchen unit, but someone has added a picture with it showing a UK socket, so all ok now. I think the B pillar one has gone now, well don’t remember seeing it.

Does anyone know please if this applies retrospectively since I ordered by T6.1 late Oct / Early Nov and am awaiting delivery as I would like to query this with my dealership and wanted to get everyone else's perspective.

Thanks

Worth an ask but sometimes the price we pay for early adopting but as you haven’t collected should be OK.

For my first california 4 years ago I redid the finance 3 times as the APR reduced and deposit contribution increased before I picked it up and they were happy to change without affecting build/delivery dates.

Thanks
This should be available if you haven’t collected yet, I don’t know much about the offer but i don't think its finance related, just an offer that now comes with the 6.1.

If the finance deposit contribution increases or finance rate reduces, it would mean reapplying for the finance.

FYI all
This should be available if you haven’t collected yet, I don’t know much about the offer but i don't think its finance related, just an offer that now comes with the 6.1.

If the finance deposit contribution increases or finance rate reduces, it would mean reapplying for the finance.
FYI all
Spoke to my dealer and they have said this offer only applies to orders in 2020, not ones completed in 2019 therefore I do not qualify. The dealership has ‘apparently’ contested this but I have stated there’s nothing in the T&Cs to support the 2020 argument. This could be a deal breaker for me and may re-order (before end of March 2020) unless this it is resolved. I’ll just cancel & re-order so there could be a cancelled order floating around in the system in the foreseeable l

Spoke to my dealer and they have said this offer only applies to orders in 2020, not ones completed in 2019 therefore I do not qualify.
I ordered my T6.1 early December and pick-up on 2nd March and have been given this offer. The salesman had to go to corporate VW to confirm as the dealership management originally said no. So worth persevering...

I ordered my T6.1 early December and pick-up on 2nd March and have been given this offer. The salesman had to go to corporate VW to confirm as the dealership management originally said no. So worth persevering...
Thanks, that’s great news and intel. Appreciate it.