Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just back from NordKapp

Hi there
I did start to follow your blog, but then didn't. I will have another go.

Hi there
I did start to follow your blog, but then didn't. I will have another go.

Knordkapp via Sweden and Finland.

Our outline plan is for July &August 2020. Travelling from the Costa Blanca will be about 12000 kms round trip. I am currently looking at all routes north. So any recommendations will be appreciated.

Our outline plan is for July &August 2020. Travelling from the Costa Blanca will be about 12000 kms round trip. I am currently looking at all routes north. So any recommendations will be appreciated.
Having driven there via Denmark, Sweden and the west coast of Norway, and back via Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland, if I were going again I'd be very tempted to go via Belarus, St Petersburg and Murmansk.

Of the two routes I have done, the slow coast road across and around dozens of Norway's fjords is streaks ahead of the endless pine and birch forests of Finland.

What did you think of Sweden?
We didn't spend long in Sweden. We drove from Copenhagen to Stromstad, rested in Stromstad for three nights, then drove to Seljord in Norway.

The day before he was three and a half Ben learnt to ride a bike on the campsite roads in Sweden, and a complete stranger gave us unrestricted access, over the phone, to their locked private field to exercise our dog off lead (during the summer months in Sweden dogs must be kept on the lead in all areas where the public has access, including private fields, unless fenced and locked.)

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony,
glad I didn't opt fot the Sweden/Finland part. We went from Hull to Rotterdam on overnight ferry and made Danish border first day after 9 hours driving, next day leisurely to Hirtshalls, all great sites in Denmark as used a total of 5 on this trip. Took ferry to Larvik then drove to Hokksund for first night, great site, next day E6 road works and 10 hours to north on Trondheim.Following day another great day of road works (we got the technique of asking traffic control officer 20mins?? and got honest answer of between 15 and 20!! even had a 30 min delay for a farm barn fire although no-one seemed to be doing anything to put it ut but loads of firemen /officials looking on just like UK!!!.
Next day E6, road works, crossed Artic Circle as you did (same spot by your photo) and stopped overnight just before Narvik and took ferry to Lofoten islands. Wonderful 5 days there, most beautiful place I have seen (been to Thailand, Myanamar, Japan, Australia, Canada etc so saying something. Next followed 17 coast route down to north of Trondheim then did the Fjord thing, Trollstiggen (as per your photo) Hardinger, Gerainger etc and spent 2 weeks following Fyjord roads 2 lanes sometime single track but no warning! passes x8+ at 4000ft average ascent until all 'passed' and fjorded out! Went down to Kristiansand took ferry to Hirshalls then 5 days in Denmark (very pleasant rural rolling countryside, great sites but all towns/houses the same, weird the total conformity of the place except Ribe well worth a visit.
Total mileage 5500DSCF2018.JPGDSCF2056.JPGDSCF2084.JPGDSCF2090.JPGDSCF2049.JPGDSCF2041.JPGDSCF2445.JPGDSCF2459.JPG, ferries 10, passes 8+, Fjords lost count and interest! But wouldn't have missed it for the world. If contemplating this trip can give advice, IMPORTANT you will average 35-40 miles in total each hour if you are lucky, this country is 1500miles long!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMPORTANT you will average 35-40 miles in total each hour if you are lucky, this country is 1500miles long!
Trawling through Google MapsTimeline, which knows more about our drive through Norway and Finland that I can remember, I have extracted this:
Seljord to Flam195 miles5hr 5133 mph
Flam to Bergen93.7 miles4hr 2122 mph
Bergen to Orsta179 miles6hr 729 mph
Orsta to Lyso104 miles4hr 825 mph
Lyso to Trondheim131 miles5hr 1425 mph
Trondheim to Namsos98.2 miles2hr 58 (half on main road)33 mph
Namsos to Sandnessjoen149 miles12hr 18 (four ferries)12 mph
Sandnessjoen to Furoy69.5 miles4hr 4415 mph
Furoy to Geitvagen98.3 miles3hr 2129 mph
Geitvagen to Skagen19.8 miles
(60.3 miles by ferry)
42 mins
(4hr 22)
28 mph
Skagen to Bardu182 miles5 hr 11 (half on main road)35 mph
Bardu to Alta243 miles6hr 25 (main road)38 mph
Alta to Nordkapp121 miles3hr 46 (main road)32 mph
Return journey
Nordkapp to Nuorgam (Finland)243 miles6hr 4936 mph
Nuorgam to Rovaniemi283 miles5hr 4449 mph
Rovaniemi to Lieksantie269 miles5hr 3648 mph
Lieksantie to Lappeenranta278 miles7hr 6 - including several miles off road.39 mph
Lappeenranta to Helsinki127 miles3hr 641 mph

The above does include stops, including "slash and dash" stops, lunch stops, some shopping and many lengthy waits for ferries. It doesn't include dog walking which is calculated separately on Google timeline.

Last edited:
I fully agree with those figures as drove many of the legs. The ferry waits can be limited by timing arrival at dock, all northern Norwegian ferries are Torgarten Nord and timetables can be downloaded.We found it best to camp the night before close to a dock and pick up early ferry so no waiting forfor first one of the day at least!

Having driven there via Denmark, Sweden and the west coast of Norway, and back via Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland, if I were going again I'd be very tempted to go via Belarus, St Petersburg and Murmansk.

Of the two routes I have done, the slow coast road across and around dozens of Norway's fjords is streaks ahead of the endless pine and birch forests of Finland.

Thanks Anthony,
glad I didn't opt fot the Sweden/Finland part. We went from Hull to Rotterdam on overnight ferry and made Danish border first day after 9 hours driving, next day leisurely to Hirtshalls, all great sites in Denmark as used a total of 5 on this trip. Took ferry to Larvik then drove to Hokksund for first night, great site, next day E6 road works and 10 hours to north on Trondheim.Following day another great day of road works (we got the technique of asking traffic control officer 20mins?? and got honest answer of between 15 and 20!! even had a 30 min delay for a farm barn fire although no-one seemed to be doing anything to put it ut but loads of firemen /officials looking on just like UK!!!.
Next day E6, road works, crossed Artic Circle as you did (same spot by your photo) and stopped overnight just before Narvik and took ferry to Lofoten islands. Wonderful 5 days there, most beautiful place I have seen (been to Thailand, Myanamar, Japan, Australia, Canada etc so saying something. Next followed 17 coast route down to north of Trondheim then did the Fjord thing, Trollstiggen (as per your photo) Hardinger, Gerainger etc and spent 2 weeks following Fyjord roads 2 lanes sometime single track but no warning! passes x8+ at 4000ft average ascent until all 'passed' and fjorded out! Went down to Kristiansand took ferry to Hirshalls then 5 days in Denmark (very pleasant rural rolling countryside, great sites but all towns/houses the same, weird the total conformity of the place except Ribe well worth a visit.
Total mileage 5500View attachment 47171View attachment 47172View attachment 47174View attachment 47175View attachment 47176View attachment 47177View attachment 47178View attachment 47180, ferries 10, passes 8+, Fjords lost count and interest! But wouldn't have missed it for the world. If contemplating this trip can give advice, IMPORTANT you will average 35-40 miles in total each hour if you are lucky, this country is 1500miles long!

I have to go back. So much to see and once away from the south, there is barely any traffic.

I fully agree with those figures as drove many of the legs. The ferry waits can be limited by timing arrival at dock, all northern Norwegian ferries are Torgarten Nord and timetables can be downloaded.We found it best to camp the night before close to a dock and pick up early ferry so no waiting forfor first one of the day at least!
The only really bad experience we had was the Tjotta-Forvik ferry where we waited from between 17:53 and 20:04 for a ferry. There were several complicating factors which I won't delve into now, but included numbered queue lanes filling up, and loading often starting from lane 1 even when higher numbered lanes had arrived earlier; and slow ferries calling at intermediate ports and express ferries. I was relieved when we managed to get on an express ferry, and due to the chaos we were never asked to pay.

There were several complicating factors which I won't delve into now, but included numbered queue lanes filling up, and loading often starting from lane 1 even when higher numbered lanes had arrived earlier
Happens all the time at ferry terminals, something important to do with weight distribution

Happens all the time at ferry terminals, something important to do with weight distribution
This had nothing to do with weight distribution, and everything to do with poor queue management.

I don't mind being first on a ferry and last off. I do mind missing a ferry because later arrivals are loaded first, and then having to wait two hours for the next ferry, which we also nearly missed, and only caught because of the arguments given by other people in the same predicament as us!

Never had a problem travelling in May/June.:thumb

This had nothing to do with weight distribution, and everything to do with poor queue management.

I don't mind being first on a ferry and last off. I do mind missing a ferry because later arrivals are loaded first, and then having to wait two hours for the next ferry, which we also nearly missed, and only caught because of the arguments given by other people in the same predicament as us!
Strange 2 ex ferry captains i have known toid me that was the reason, but obviously you no better

Never had a problem travelling in May/June.:thumb
To be fair, that was the only time we encountered a problem of that nature. It may have been because the new multilane queuing area for the ramp had only just opened. Google maps shows the road, but it is not on their satellite imagery or streetview.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@65.7111933,12.4551691,775m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

On another ferry crossing the Captain invited us onto the bridge as we crossed the Arctic Circle and plied the boys with biscuits. He even allowed me to take the helm for a while.

Strange 2 ex ferry captains i have known toid me that was the reason, but obviously you no better
Yes - I do know better.

If you arrive at a ferry terminal with lanes marked 1 - 6, lanes 1-4 empty and lanes 5/6 part full, then later, after lanes 5/6 fill, and lanes 1, 2 & 3 start filling the ferry arrives, loads lanes 1, 2 & 3 and leaves lanes 5 & 6 sitting like idiots, the problem is down to poor queue management and nothing to do with weight distribution, despite anything your 2 x ex-ferry captains may or may (more likely) not have told you about this very specific incident.

Personally I would always go for Lane 1 or the next empty lane. I presume the fact that Lanes 5 & 6 had cars I presume they were left over from the previous Ferry, in which case I would have moved over to Lane 1 once the ferry had left.

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I want to drive up Norway and down Finland

A couple of days later, after a fantastic drive though a wasteland of barren rocks, scattered houses, reindeer, towering mountains, fjords, some snow, strong winds and a great many motorcyclists braving the elements, we reached Nordkapp. After days of sun shine and wearing shorts, it was cold and low cloud. Nordkapp has a large car park, entry is 500 NK (about £50). This included everything we didn’t want, a museum, videos etc. We just wanted to park, have a cup of tea and retreat to the lowlands. We did a U turn and parked at the side of the road and started walking to the car park, only to be shouted at by the little man in the kiosk saying we would get a 1000 NK fine if we stayed there. My wife was all for tipping his kiosk over.

We drove south towards Finland. Saw the midnight sun. It had been daylight at night since Trondheim. We took aircraft sleeping masks with us but never used them. Camped on a small, very casual site with a beach. Used the owners lounge to watch Norwegian TV and talk to a Polish worker.

Headed south through Finland. If you like long empty roads, trees and lakes, few people and fewer sites of interest, northern Finland is for you. Met a man running a souvenir shop who told us about the local fauna, ie wolves from Russia and bears, “who you cannot see for 99% of the time, but 99% of the time, they can see you”. Perhaps the south of the country is more interesting.

Camped at another casual site, next a mosquito invested lake. Had use of kayaks, a Canadian canoe and rowing boat. We tried them all, as did a German couple and some German lads. I think the site owner bred sled dogs as there were hug cages with prowling, howling animals within.

Continued south and entered Sweden. Equally uninspiring, trees, trees and more trees. Good roads though. The Swedish Arctic Circle was warm and trashy, a bit like Santa meets, Lapland, meets Disney.

Stayed in a great campsite though (Ansian resort)with excellent cooking and washing facilities (better than many houses I have lived in). They sold beer but only if it was less that 5%. No wine. Just me whining.

On route, visited the biggest waterfall in Sweden. Just happened to see a signpost. Left Sweden and its trees and its big waterfall and re-entered Norway. Drove south. Splendid scenery in Norway, lovely house, rotten winters.

Various campsites, by the sea, including one near Trondheim. I visited Tirpitz memorial there – a memorial to RAF aircrews who ended the life of the Tirpitz.

Next stop Bergen, a very big city (well it seemed that way after the barren north). Campsite was cramped and the facilities were poor. It seems there were lots of itinerant workers there.

Drove up the Trollstigen – stunning and well worth the effort of finding it. Camped just south of the pass. Met a British guy who lives in New Zealand. He had shipped his bike (Ducati Multistrada) to Sydney, driven round the top of Australia to Perth, shipped it to Singapore, driven up through Singapore, malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Shipped it to India, hated it, shipped to Dubai or somewhere like that up to Russia, Eastern Europe etc. He was off to the Uk, to pick the wife and head down to Spain.

Continued south to Preikestolen, that famous 2000ft sheer drop cliff. Recommended time to hike there and back is four hours, but well worth it. It was hot, it was like Mt Everest in that the world and his brother was there. I felt quite queasy near the edge while some dangled their legs over. Preikestolen car park another rip-off at 250 NK (about £25). We camped nearby in a very muddy but friendly site.

Continued to south to Kristiansand. Stayed in the Raddison Blu hotel for two nights so we could explore a tow, bearing in mind most campsites are quite remote. Lovely place Kristiansand. There was huge bonfire celebrating midsummer’s day. Music, party atmosphere, great food in local restaurants, awful food in the Radisson.

Due to get a morning ferry from Kristiansand to Hirstshals in Denmark.

A flat battery greeted me, but with a jump starter thingy, (info courtesy of someone on this forum), I got the van started in seconds.

All booked and paid for via Ferries Direct. Big mistake. We arrive at check-in only to be faced with a woman with a large wooden, gallows-type, measuring pole with a cross bar. “you are too high”. Ferries Direct had listed us as 1.89m. The max for low vehicles is 1.95m. I argued, to no avail and was sent to wait on standby. I found another measuring pole. I was about 2mm too high. Oh and I had to pay an additional 51 euros to get on, if there was room. The next ferry was fully booked and the next one, the next day was full too.

I thought about driving across Norway to Olso, then down through Sweden and across the Oresund bridge to Denmark. No need we got on the ferry. A German on the ferry suggested that we should have let some air out of the tyres!

After reaching Denmark we went to the ‘meeting of two seas’, the Skagerrak and the Kattergat (the Baltic and the North Sea). That meant a long trek along a very soft sandy beach. Another place ticked off.

Camped at a nice camp near Randers, Danish woman, spoke English like an English woman, then back to Bremen, after spending about an hour driving around and around Hamburg. Not going there again. Massive road works around Hambourg.

Drove into Holland, stayed at a nice site near Amsterdam. Took a metro into the city, end of the line station a few minutes’ walk from the campsite. Bought some food, took some photos and left. A great place if you are 22 and with a lot of friends. I still like it but, my wife hated it, too much smoking, very dirty streets and crazy bell-ringing cyclists.

Left Amsterdam and drove to Peronne, on the Somme. A place we visit often. It was 34.5 C and crotch pot, cooking hot! They accepted ACSI card, 18 euros a night with electricity.

Came home four days early as I had done what I had set out to do, faster than planned, but sometimes the journey takes over and momentum becomes key – I love it.

We took too much tinned and dried food, a lot of which we brought back. My wife is an excellent cook and we ate freshly cooked food daily, which we bought in local stores and supermarkets (always interesting to visit anyway). Breakfast was toast or cereal, fruit, tea/coffee. Lunch was on the go, a sandwich and dinner was as previously mentioned. Always used hook up to boil a kettle for a flask during the day.

We used on-site cooking facilities as much as we could. The spare camping stove and small gas bottles were untouched. It’s legal to wild camp in Norway and Sweden but for the price, average about £25 per night we like flushing toilets and hot showers, well the wife does.

Lots of ferries along the west coast, about £10 per trip, just turn up and drive on. Lovely.

We saw lots of reindeer, they are like sheep over there, wandering along the roads, we saw one moose, apparently they sleep during the day and come out at dusk. We saw one of the insomniac mooses in Norway.

We covered 6022 miles in 24 days, including four days where we covered about 50.

The only time we showed our passports was leaving and entering the UK.

I would return to Norway as it is stunningly beautiful, not so sure about Finland or Sweden, I’m all tree’d out. But I do fancy Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria etc.

Please excuse the somewhat rushed report but I didn’t keep a diary, so some of the destinations may be out of sync, although I kept a note of sites and prices.

There are many more well travelled Cali owners on this forum and what I have just written may be old hat. Ce’st lave vie.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Phew!

PS. I got back yesterday (June 30th). I tried the van this morning – flat battery!

Post script.
A few days after arriving back in the UK, I received a letter from the Dutch authorities. I had a speeding ticket. 51 euros.
They don't accept cheques or credit cards, just bank transfers and Nat West charge £4.50 fee. I paid it. better than getting arrested and strung up if I return to Holland.