Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping the music on over the 30 minutes.

I can't believe anyone when buying a Cali would, if given the choice, spec having the stereo fed from the engine battery/30 cut off, so I wonder what rationale VW used when drawing up the wiring diagram?
Remember, the California is built as a “van” base with the camper bits as an add on. That doesn’t include the ICE system which is part of the “van”.

Remember, the California is built as a “van” base with the camper bits as an add on. That doesn’t include the ICE system which is part of the “van”.
Agree, but given that it’s a premium campervan I’d like to think VW would have thought of us Radio 4 addicts!

Agree, but given that it’s a premium campervan I’d like to think VW would have thought of us Radio 4 addicts!
Ahh. But we’re in the minority. Personally I don’t find it a problem.

Ahh. But we’re in the minority. Personally I don’t find it a problem.
Agree. I just use iPhone and Bluetooth speaker for all music / podcast needs. Just recharge using usb via leisure battery / main battery. But I can understand people’s frustrations if you pay the bonkers prices for ICE upgrades.

We use a Bose Soundlink Mini bluetooth speaker. Not cheap, but sounds very good indeed.

I have installed an Echo Dot in our Cali, not really installed more just plugged one in and connected it to the mifi to get data. It is excellent.

I have installed an Echo Dot in our Cali, not really installed more just plugged one in and connected it to the mifi to get data. It is excellent.
Only £29 on Amazon at the moment.
Seems to be a 15 watt Mains input so could easily run off the Inverter Mains Socket.

Only £29 on Amazon at the moment.
Seems to be a 15 watt Mains input so could easily run off the Inverter Mains Socket.
If you have a 2nd gen Echo Dot they can be powered by USB to micro USB and can be easily plugged into a 12v socket via an adaptor. The 3rd gen needs power from either the inverter or you can purchase a USB power cable. It might be possible to connect to the vehicle via Bluetooth on newer vehicles, I couldn’t get it to work on my 2015 Cali but the Echo Dot’s have a 3.5mm audio output and I have it plugged in via the AUX socket in my glovebox. We use it connected when traveling and the sound quality is more than good enough to use as a stand alone audio source when parked up. WiFi is supplied from my mifi unit but it could just as easily run off a phones hotspot.

It has made long journeys much more entertaining, access to Spotify and Amazon music, pod casts, audio books and family quizzes and games. It has been a revelation. I can’t recommend it highly enough and only £30 plus some cables/adaptors. (Already has the mifi).

As both Spotify and Amazon Music are compatible with airplay why don't you simply play those streaming services through your ICE head unit?

As both Spotify and Amazon Music are compatible with airplay why don't you simply play those streaming services through your ICE head unit?
Because my headunit doesn’t support AirPlay. It is an RNS310 and pretty basic.

Last edited:
Just saw an articel on thw txboard: https://tx-board.de/threads/radio-12v-zuleitung-auf-zweite-batterie-umpinnen.113324/

Unfortunately in German and to see the pictures you have to be (free) member.

Maybe worth reading (author bazzman):

„Last weekend, I rewound my radio to the second battery under the driver's seat.

First, I uncovered the prepared safety rail under the driver's seat box. The supply line to the empty safety rail is connected under a lot of adhesive tape from the factory with a line to the main battery. After removing the tape, you can disconnect the cable well and attach directly to the second battery (do not forget to switch main fuse in between). For the original fuse holder, I had made suitable inserts "Contacts plug 000 979 227 E (4.8mm)", e.g. at Ebay. So you can then hang your own consumer in the safety rail:

IMG_5629.JPG IMG_5630.JPG

Now we went to supply the supply line to the radio with power from the second battery. To do this, remove the fuse holder B and C under the dashboard (loosen all the screws of the panels, then loosen the four screws in the fuse holder and thread the fuse holder backwards out of the panel:

IMG_5649.JPG IMG_5650.JPG

The radio was on fuse SB 33. In order to be able to remove the cable from the fuse holder I used a Auspin tool, e.g. Amazon. Before spinning out, the lock (violet) must be pushed up by approx. 1mm to release the pins. With the spin-out tool was spinning then super easy and done in 2min. The pins for the fuse holder are the same as those above for the safety rail under the driver's seat.

IMG_5651.JPG IMG_5652.JPG IMG_5660.JPG

Then connect the cable from the fuse holder in the middle under the floor through to the driver's seat box and via 30A fuse into the fuse holder.

During the construction I have also been able to take valuable hints...“

However we bought a UE Boom 3 (UE B2 better if you need to connect with an audiocable) to use at home (phone&tablet) and on the road (no other speakers/stereo at home).

However we bought a UE Boom 3 (UE B2 better if you need to connect with an audiocable) to use at home (phone&tablet) and on the road (no other speakers/stereo at home).

I considered the UE Wonderboom so bought one along with an Anker Bluetooth Speaker, SoundCore mini to compare against each other. The Anker won hands down. The UE Boom 3 is almost 4x the price of the Anker. My brother has one. I'll be interested to compare them when we next meet up

Surely you would be back to square one, with the unit switching off after 30 minutes?

Surely you would be back to square one, with the unit switching off after 30 minutes?
No, because it also works as a standalone speaker.

No, because it also works as a standalone speaker.
But DrJuanKerr was suggesting using the head unit. Does that not switch off ?
You’ve got me scratching my head!

But DrJuanKerr was suggesting using the head unit. Does that not switch off ?
You’ve got me scratching my head!

the Echo Dot’s have a 3.5mm audio output and I have it plugged in via the AUX socket in my glovebox. We use it connected when traveling and the sound quality is more than good enough to use as a stand alone audio source when parked up
So, with an older, non CarPlay ICE you can plug the Dot into the AUX socket and have Spotify/ Prime, Podcasts etc play through your head unit, but when parked up with head unit switched off you can still listen to your music etc through the DOT as a standalone speaker. So, works on the move and parked up without the 30 min switch off etc.

So, with an older, non CarPlay ICE you can plug the Dot into the AUX socket and have Spotify/ Prime, Podcasts etc play through your head unit, but when parked up with head unit switched off you can still listen to your music etc through the DOT as a standalone speaker. So, works on the move and parked up without the 30 min switch off etc.

That's fine for listening to a music library etc but I just want to be able to listen to live radio for an hour or two when I'm parked up somewhere in the hills, where more often than not find the FM radio signal is good enough through the vehicle aerial, but rubbish using smartphone with the phono cable etc as an antenna, and no decent 4G.

So if you're reading this VW, come on it's a £60k vehicle, how hard would it be to factory-wire the ICE to the leisure batts and disable the 30-min cutoff?

(Sorry, first-world problem I know, but I still find it irritating).

That's fine for listening to a music library etc but I just want to be able to listen to live radio for an hour or two when I'm parked up somewhere in the hills, where more often than not find the FM radio signal is good enough through the vehicle aerial, but rubbish using smartphone with the phono cable etc as an antenna, and no decent 4G.

So if you're reading this VW, come on it's a £60k vehicle, how hard would it be to factory-wire the ICE to the leisure batts and disable the 30-min cutoff?

They manage to run power from the leisure battery to the dash 12v socket, why not the radio?

In post #36 doesn‘t he explain how he solved it? I am unable to do it myself but as far as I understand it worked well with his solution?

In post #36 doesn‘t he explain how he solved it? I am unable to do it myself but as far as I understand it worked well with his solution?
Most owners, like yourself, would not want or be able to carry out a rewire. especially as it would probably negate warranty and possibly insurance in the event of a fire. So much easier for VW to do it from new.

I like to exercise my finger. Very important for us " Oldies ".:thumb

Back