Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping the music on over the 30 minutes.

Quite ridiculous isn’t it. The van has a perfectly good audio system in it that you can’t use when camping for risk of the starter battery going flat. The solution is to carry more ‘stuff’ around with you!

A question for the more technical amongst us - if on hook up, is this still a problem as I believe the hook up will trickle charge the starter battery once the leisure batteries are at 100%?

Quite ridiculous isn’t it. The van has a perfectly good audio system in it that you can’t use when camping for risk of the starter battery going flat. The solution is to carry more ‘stuff’ around with you!
Even adapting solar panel wiring so they can be switched to charge the engine battery does not solve the problem of the infotainment cutting out after 30 minutes.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Even adapting solar panel wiring so they can be switched to charge the engine battery does not solve the problem of the infotainment cutting out after 30 minutes.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

OK, understood. I can live with turning it back on every 30 mins, but will it still flatten the starter battery even on hook up?

A question for the more technical amongst us - if on hook up, is this still a problem as I believe the hook up will trickle charge the starter battery once the leisure batteries are at 100%?
The "trickle charge" debate has recently started up again and from what I've read the current position is that the engine battery does not get charged when on hook up. So there is the danger of a flat battery if the radio and powered side door are used too much. I'm about to get a jump starter pack!!!

Yeah and in a depressingly few years we'll be complaining about battery life on the Mobility Scooters Club forum.
Maybe we need a section on the forum for Mobility Scooters?

The one aspect of the 30 minute cut off that really puzzles me is DVDs. The unit won’t play DVDs whilst driving nor let you watch for more than 30 minutes when stationary.

The one aspect of the 30 minute cut off that really puzzles me is DVDs. The unit won’t play DVDs whilst driving nor let you watch for more than 30 minutes when stationary.
Now that's strange. If I play a movie DVD it plays all the way through. That is when stationary.

What model does it need to be to play a DVD ? my unit has the App connect and sd card slot but no idea if it should play a dvd. Thanks.

Now that's strange. If I play a movie DVD it plays all the way through. That is when stationary.
Just done a retest! DVD left playing with van unlocked, key in house, switched off after 30 mins.

Can I wake this thread up please...

Any change to spec for MY2023?.. any new 'cheat' devices or workarounds?

Its crazy!.. when on EHU I cant listen to the radio for more than 30 mins?...

Thanks!

Can I wake this thread up please...

Any change to spec for MY2023?.. any new 'cheat' devices or workarounds?

Its crazy!.. when on EHU I cant listen to the radio for more than 30 mins?...

Thanks!
Didn’t Cali Chris say the infotainment is now powered by the leisure batts?

Didn’t Cali Chris say the infotainment is now powered by the leisure batts?
dont know,.. but it still turns off after 30 mins. Unless Im missing a step?

I would have thought that is unlikely.
Chris said on one of his videos - I think it was the MY23 what’s changed one. I’ve not seen any evidence that anything has actually changed though.

Seems crazy you can’t listen to radio for more than 30 minutes.That’s why I invested in a small dab radio , plugs into inverter, uses next to no power and can listen all day.

Seems crazy you can’t listen to radio for more than 30 minutes.That’s why I invested in a small dab radio , plugs into inverter, uses next to no power and can listen all day.
Its nuts isn't it!... with all the tech in the van (i can use my phone to remotely dim an interior light), but I cant listen to the radio when Im camping :headbang

Its nuts isn't it!... with all the tech in the van (i can use my phone to remotely dim an interior light), but I cant listen to the radio when Im camping :headbang
If, as seems the case in some T5.1s, T6 and I gather on the T6.1 the engine battery, that runs the ICS ( In Car Entertainment System ), is trickle charged when on EHU and the Leisure Batteries are fully charged, then you can but you will have to press the ICS On button every 20 or so minutes.
The ICS, unlike the old simple radios, consumes a significant amount of power which can deplete the engine battery and is intergrated with the vehicle computer system, BCM. It is a computer not just a simple FM radio.

Similarly if you have Solar Panel and the correct MPPT solar controller you can charge the engine battery from solar, but the 20min restriction is still in place.

If, as seems the case in some T5.1s, T6 and I gather on the T6.1 the engine battery, that runs the ICS ( In Car Entertainment System ), is trickle charged when on EHU and the Leisure Batteries are fully charged, then you can but you will have to press the ICS On button every 20 or so minutes.
The ICS, unlike the old simple radios, consumes a significant amount of power which can deplete the engine battery and is intergrated with the vehicle computer system, BCM. It is a computer not just a simple FM radio.

Similarly if you have Solar Panel and the correct MPPT solar controller you can charge the engine battery from solar, but the 20min restriction is still in place.

Hi,.. yes I get that thanks ..and appreciate VW's care to avoid unnecessary battery drain, but hey... the BMS or BCM (or head unit) could easily be programmed to sense 'camping mode' or battery voltage or other parameters to offer the same or better protection.

To me, its lazy and sloppy design. I mean, its just as easy to drain the battery with a radio plugged into the inverter, or USB or 12v (10A) sockets. For me, pressing the power button every 20mins is just nuts. The radio should be a part of the 'camping/living' experience. Stop wasting development time on a 'sunrise wake function for the lights' et al, and focus on the serious stuff?

Rant over.. (and in no way aimed at you ;) )

Back