Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping the music on over the 30 minutes.

Hi,.. yes I get that thanks ..and appreciate VW's care to avoid unnecessary battery drain, but hey... the BMS or BCM (or head unit) could easily be programmed to sense 'camping mode' or battery voltage or other parameters to offer the same or better protection.

To me, its lazy and sloppy design. I mean, its just as easy to drain the battery with a radio plugged into the inverter, or USB or 12v (10A) sockets. For me, pressing the power button every 20mins is just nuts. The radio should be a part of the 'camping/living' experience. Stop wasting development time on a 'sunrise wake function for the lights' et al, and focus on the serious stuff?

Rant over.. (and in no way aimed at you ;) )
Will probably be on the next California model.

Hi,.. yes I get that thanks ..and appreciate VW's care to avoid unnecessary battery drain, but hey... the BMS or BCM (or head unit) could easily be programmed to sense 'camping mode' or battery voltage or other parameters to offer the same or better protection.

To me, its lazy and sloppy design. I mean, its just as easy to drain the battery with a radio plugged into the inverter, or USB or 12v (10A) sockets. For me, pressing the power button every 20mins is just nuts. The radio should be a part of the 'camping/living' experience. Stop wasting development time on a 'sunrise wake function for the lights' et al, and focus on the serious stuff?

Whilst i'd not be against a VW's stereo staying on, I'd challenge RE sloppy/lazy perspective.

It's actually quite logical - the California is at it's core a Transporter, and is by all accounts modular. The front cab area is standardised , and means that the assembly of the chasis and front cab is simplified through a single process and components.

If they rejigged it for the Cali's radio to stay on only when on EHU, they'd need to create a new assembly process, different components, p, variation in the wiring loom and all sorts. In turn it would make the manufacturing a lot more complex, and prone to process failure too. All to bypass something which by virtue is a 'failsafe' for using the vehicle, of which far easier and better alternatives exist. Sometimes, less is more. The more features that it has, the higher the price goes.

And lets be honest.... the speaker system in the Cali isn't far from good; infact, it's rather pants (bringing out my millenial lingo now...).

For our music requirements, we use these little £55 little Anker speakers (linky - looks like you can get 25% off currently too...) that are waterproof, really great sound quality (certainly in comparison to the van) and a battery that lasts 24+ hours. Wouldn't be without them.

The "trickle charge" debate has recently started up again and from what I've read the current position is that the engine battery does not get charged when on hook up. So there is the danger of a flat battery if the radio and powered side door are used too much. I'm about to get a jump starter pack!!!

I don't know where you've read that other than missinformed posts on here.

The Manual is pretty clear that plugging into the mains charges the starter battery.

Thats reading a T6.1 MY2023 manual. All my previous vans have charged the starter battery on hookup, only the T5.1 didnt mention it as a feature in the handbook.

IMG_2522.jpeg

Whilst i'd not be against a VW's stereo staying on, I'd challenge RE sloppy/lazy perspective.

It's actually quite logical - the California is at it's core a Transporter, and is by all accounts modular. The front cab area is standardised , and means that the assembly of the chasis and front cab is simplified through a single process and components.

If they rejigged it for the Cali's radio to stay on only when on EHU, they'd need to create a new assembly process, different components, p, variation in the wiring loom and all sorts. In turn it would make the manufacturing a lot more complex, and prone to process failure too. All to bypass something which by virtue is a 'failsafe' for using the vehicle, of which far easier and better alternatives exist. Sometimes, less is more. The more features that it has, the higher the price goes.

And lets be honest.... the speaker system in the Cali isn't far from good; infact, it's rather pants (bringing out my millenial lingo now...).

For our music requirements, we use these little £55 little Anker speakers (linky - looks like you can get 25% off currently too...) that are waterproof, really great sound quality (certainly in comparison to the van) and a battery that lasts 24+ hours. Wouldn't be without them.
mmm agree to disagree. but a fun debate ;)

Seems crazy you can’t listen to radio for more than 30 minutes.
When I first acquired my new to me T5.1, it was fitted with a Pioneer AVIC F88 DAB Navigation AV System (that's what it says on the 86 page instruction book). I spent the first weekend Saturday playing with my new toy, happily listening to a DAB station on the radio. I spent about three hours in the morning and the same in the afternoon with continuous music from the "infotainment". At the end of the day when I tried to start it, - nothing. It had not occured to me that I was running the battery down so quickly and a 30 minute cut off would have been very useful. As it does not cut out, I assume that it is wired so that it runs continuously, which to me is a worse situation than if it had a time limit.

When I first acquired my new to me T5.1, it was fitted with a Pioneer AVIC F88 DAB Navigation AV System (that's what it says on the 86 page instruction book). I spent the first weekend Saturday playing with my new toy, happily listening to a DAB station on the radio. I spent about three hours in the morning and the same in the afternoon with continuous music from the "infotainment". At the end of the day when I tried to start it, - nothing. It had not occured to me that I was running the battery down so quickly and a 30 minute cut off would have been very useful. As it does not cut out, I assume that it is wired so that it runs continuously, which to me is a worse situation than if it had a time limit.
3rd party, non-OEM infotainment systems are not integrated with the vehicle computer, BCM, and so are not controlled to protect the engine battery.

Seems crazy you can’t listen to radio for more than 30 minutes.That’s why I invested in a small dab radio , plugs into inverter, uses next to no power and can listen all day.
We carry a small transistor radio, with proper analogue solid state circuitry, and extendable aerial. It’s from the 1980’s. One 9v battery lasts us 2 weeks!

Hello, I love to listen to cool music when I'm in the wild, unfortunately the system shut it down after30 minutes. Is there a way to change this "strange" setting? Thanks for your replies.
IMG_8514.jpeg
Get yourself a small dab radio. This little Robert’s radio lasts for months on its internal battery. Use it all the time.

I don't know where you've read that other than missinformed posts on here.

The Manual is pretty clear that plugging into the mains charges the starter battery.

Thats reading a T6.1 MY2023 manual. All my previous vans have charged the starter battery on hookup, only the T5.1 didnt mention it as a feature in the handbook.

View attachment 119781
My comment was made in 2019, at which time, unless I’m wrong the handbook (mine was a T5.1) made no reference to EHU charging the vehicle battery…. Happy to be proved wrong. What date/model is your handbook ?

My comment was made in 2019, at which time, unless I’m wrong the handbook (mine was a T5.1) made no reference to EHU charging the vehicle battery…. Happy to be proved wrong. What date/model is your handbook ?
I hadn't realised it was that long ago, time flies!

I did say that all my vans had charged on hook up, the 2020 and 2023 vans both had those words in the handbook & the 2014 T5.1 didnt.

I remember the long series of posts about it when the T5.1 was launched as I believe the T5 vans didnt charge.

I have a new T6.1 and went to the van yesterday and the radio was saying battery low and would switch off soon. The reason for the discharge was probably my fault but did put on hook up.

After a few hours the overhead panel states full leisure batteries but still getting the dashboard and radio warning so if there is any charge it must be pretty small.

I have put the starter battery on my smart charger overnight. I have checked this morning and although the charger initially said it was fully charged, after putting the ignition on I had the low battery warning again! So not sure what is causing it.

I may look into a battery to battery charger from the leisure batteries if this becomes an issue but suspect it's my fault and shouldn't be a regular issue but not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have a cigarette lighter USB with a volt meter on it that is a great, small and cheap way to check the starter battery. Shout if you need any guidance. Sorry mo one has got back to you sooner,
normally replies come thick and fast.

What the heck is that sunrise function all about eh?

Back