Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

A wee while later a few more droplets appeared. Rain stopped for now but starts again at midnight until 8am I think.

Real world test right here.

I’m wondering does the stitching need to be weather in?

Other issue we have had is the heater has stopped working. When it was working it did turn off but thought it had reached temp. But don’t think that was right after all.

I can see a vehicle rejection coming. This was meant to be a stress free purchase. Five year warranty etc. Go full time travelling next year but we can’t rely on this.

Luckily we are only a week in since collection. Surely we’d be nuts to keep it? Obviously we’ll see how it fairs over night but it’s not looking good.

IMG_2239.jpeg

A wee while later a few more droplets appeared. Rain stopped for now but starts again at midnight until 8am I think.

Other issue we have had is the heater has stopped working. When it was working it did turn off but thought it had reached temp. But don’t think that was right after all.

I can see a vehicle rejection coming. This was meant to be a stress free purchase. Five year warranty etc. Go full time travelling next year but we can’t rely on this.

Luckily we are only a week in since collection. Surely we’d be nuts to keep it? Obviously we’ll see how it fairs over night but it’s not looking good.

View attachment 120502
Really sorry to hear the leaking has began, looks like this is the case with all 04S bellows. Very disappointing. Take your time to think through your options? Maybe a wrap will enable you to manage the situation until VW come up with an answer? Some are thinking the application of some waterproofing may help?
The auxiliary heater only works with more than 1/4 a tank of diesel - not sure if this is the issue with yours? I have found the heaters reliable to date.

Hope your night gets easier :)

View attachment 120502
So sorry to see this. How very disappointing for you.

From all the leaker comments across this thread, it’s almost always the front panel and seams that leak. The side panels are less prone - but not immune. Is that the case ?

From all the leaker comments across this thread, it’s almost always the front panel and seams that leak. The side panels are less prone - but not immune. Is that the case ?
Yes but I think it’s to do with roof angle and the sides being hit less hard by the weather. All the seams are probably the same construction so equally prone to leakage.

Really sorry to hear the leaking has began, looks like this is the case with all 04S bellows. Very disappointing. Take your time to think through your options? Maybe a wrap will enable you to manage the situation until VW come up with an answer? Some are thinking the application of some waterproofing may help?
The auxiliary heater only works with more than 1/4 a tank of diesel - not sure if this is the issue with yours? I have found the heaters reliable to date.

Hope your night gets easier :)
I put my roof up early evening, parked in the garden. Plan was to leave it up for the night (while we slept soundly in the house), check it in the morning. Water coming through within 45 mins.

I lost my nerve, dried the roof best i could, put it down for the night.

Picked up my Ocean with 04S -21/12 bellows and was hoping we would hassle free. Had the van 2 weeks but hadn’t had chance to test. Roof has been up in rain since 5 and no leaks as yet. It’s staying up all night with rain forecast for next 6hrs.
We will see.

Yup. Sides seem ok so far.

Picked up my Ocean with 04S -21/12 bellows and was hoping we would hassle free. Had the van 2 weeks but hadn’t had chance to test. Roof has been up in rain since 5 and no leaks as yet. It’s staying up all night with rain forecast for next 6hrs.
We will see.
We have prob 8 hours rain starting at midnight.

I know what I would try to do, even if a long shot.

Given that production of the T6.1 California is about to end, I would at least try, through all forums, to encourage those who don’t want to keep the new bellows (I am sure there are some who do) politely to ask through dealers for the previous bellows fabric/spec to be revived.

It has to have ‘closure’ merit for VW, to offer either the old bellows or for owners to live with what they got.

The old bellows were after all a known product to VW - whether or not they come from a different manufacturer to the new ones.

Dealers must be getting pretty tired of this by now, and they will have considerable clout.

What is my interest? I want to know that I can change my bellows in the future if I need to and I most certainly would not want replacement with these current new bellows in their current leaking state.
But my 2023 dark outside cream inside do not leak. (YET)

We will see.
Well folks. 7am , it’s still raining. Van has roof up on drive still - no leaks visible as yet. It will be until about 1pm and it isn’t stopping raining until then.

The rain isn’t appalling and there isn’t a strong wind but it’s enough rain to have given them and 8hr saturation. All decent so far.

(Update - have drips see below)

Last edited:
Well folks. 7am , it’s still raining. Van has roof up on drive still - no leaks visible as yet. It will be until about 1pm and it isn’t stopping raining until then.

The rain isn’t appalling and there isn’t a strong wind but it’s enough rain to have given them and 8hr saturation. All decent so far.
Great news. 04S do seem to be generally quite a bit better than 03S on the whole, but they don’t seem perfect, or perhaps they’re not all made perfectly.

Sorry to put another dampener (literally!) on this subject but third stay in my van which was manufactured in Nov 23 with the 04S bellows. It has been raining incessantly all night here and there has been significant leaks from the seams of mine sadly. A significant amount of water has pooled on the ledge that supports the bed, enough to completely saturate several kitchen towels. This is severe enough to necessitate me putting the roof down today as rain is forecast and there is a risk it do damage to the electrics.
The first couple of stays there was rain but no ingress despite rain, I cynically think it may have been treated to stop immediate ingress within the 30 days.
I've already made the decision to replace this for a van without bellows. Such a pity as otherwise this is a great van. Perhaps this issue may explain why I'll lose nearly 9k on the value within 6 months of ownership :(

IMG_4755 Large.jpeg

A very quick reversal. I was taking Mrs>11s word for it who was sleeping on there with our youngest. Just Checked myself.

This is after at least 8hrs solid and is on the most exposed corner as van is shielded somewhat by the house on other side . As noted will be getting another 5hrs in the rain and I’ll see what develops.

Sorry folks

IMG_7853.jpeg

This issue creates a moral dilemma for me as I was considering selling this van privately to get a higher price than the part ex offered. My worry is that the prospective buyer may have saved up for years to buy their life's dream and they end up with my van with issues. Not sure how that would sit with my conscience or should I take the view it's got a 5 yr warranty and any issues will be remedied by VW (which they don't seem to be managing too well at present!)????????????

This issue creates a moral dilemma for me as I was considering selling this van privately to get a higher price than the part ex offered. My worry is that the prospective buyer may have saved up for years to buy their life's dream and they end up with my van with issues. Not sure how that would sit with my conscience or should I take the view it's got a 5 yr warranty and any issues will be remedied by VW (which they don't seem to be managing too well at present!)????????????
Why don’t you go back to the dealer and make a warranty claim and/or lodge a complaint with VWEO?

Well. What a disappointing evening and morning.

It’s definitely the vertical seams that have the issue. All our horizontal ones seem fine. There is also pooling of water along the front metal ledge. So who knows what long term damage this will be doing.

Additional vertical seams had started dripping throughout the night.

I’m 6’2” and having the roof down in British weather is just not an option.

This was meant to be a fun relaxing adventure van and it’s just turned out to be an anxiety provoking experience and we aren’t even a week in. Not to mention most of my time has been spent on this forum. As much as everyone is great it isn’t how I want to spend my free time.

Given the reported failures on the latest bellows by several new owners I am going to test ours more extensively today :(
My original test earlier in the week was only for a few hours in moderate rain.
We have rain forecast for most of today, so the top is now up.
I may also use a hosepipe on a sprinkler setting to simulate more rain if we only get light showers.

It’s definitely the vertical seams that have the issue. All our horizontal ones seem fine. There is also pooling of water along the front metal ledge. So who knows what long term damage this will be doing.

This was meant to be a fun relaxing adventure van and it’s just turned out to be an anxiety provoking experience and we aren’t even a week in. Not to mention most of my time has been spent on this forum. As much as everyone is great it isn’t how I want to spend my free time.
So sorry to hear that Mark, I know exactly how you feel.:confused:

We feel exactly the same our dream has become a nightmare. We’re in contact with our dealership however they cannot get our van back in for any warranty work until 8th April which I am told will include the ‘VW water test’ We collected on 1st April however they have said that this will impact on our 30 days as we informed them on 11th March.

So sorry to hear that Mark, I know exactly how you feel.:confused:
Yeah, we are absolutely gutted.

This van cost just shy of £81k. Dream spec, 4motion, diff lock etc.

There will be an email written out today to my dealer with the inevitable process being started.

Where do I stand with the Tracker we got fitted by the dealer? Presumably that comes as a whole and they'd have to refund that too? It was a separate invoice though.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they'd have to refund it. If they don't I'll speak to the ombudsman.

Sorry to hear the bellows are leaking.

Just a thought on the heater. Were you using the heater in Immediate Mode?

I read this post a while back that suggests the heater won't restart in Immediate Mode after it has shut itself down unless you take the van for a drive.. Needs to be in Continuous Mode.
Not sure if this is the case but I thought I would mention it.

Back