Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

My understanding is that Adrian is the person in the UK handling the bellows issues. Given the apparent scale of the problem I would be amazed if there isn't an internal escalation process within VW UK to make him aware of all failure reports. I could be wrong.
Having asked Adrian about the extent of "leakers" in the past, it was clear that dealers could replace bellows totally under the radar. Adrian will see anything escalated to the Exec office (and some dealers may now do that) and possibly issues raised to Customercare...

What black tape? Any pictures of it
Difficult to see, but on mine the most obvious location is the "pointed" end of the seam on the side window seam - the 03S has just the grey fabric folds here, the 04S has a visible black strip sewn between the window "patch" and the main fabric of the bellows.

Just as an update from me for the Cali Ocean I picked up on Saturday.

As (pessimistically) expected, the bellows do leak. Used a hose pipe attached to a step ladder to the front of the van. Medium mist setting (more than a mist but not blasting out). After about 20 minutes the drips started appearing on the vertical seams and window seam.

Didn’t bother checking sides as that was enough for me.

Reported to Breeze already, and considering options. No point replacing like for like, may as well wait for proper fix.

Pucer screen arriving this week. If we keep the van it’s unlikely I’ll treat with aqua tex, I would rather just use a screen if rain is forecast. But rejection on the cards too, discussion with my wife later tonight.

View attachment 121660

View attachment 121661

View attachment 121662

View attachment 121663

View attachment 121664
Pucerscreen is the way to go - what we have

Why would you reject the van and not wait to get it fixed?

Do you think VW will avoid fixing it?

Just as an update from me for the Cali Ocean I picked up on Saturday.

As (pessimistically) expected, the bellows do leak. Used a hose pipe attached to a step ladder to the front of the van. Medium mist setting (more than a mist but not blasting out). After about 20 minutes the drips started appearing on the vertical seams and window seam.

Didn’t bother checking sides as that was enough for me.

Reported to Breeze already, and considering options. No point replacing like for like, may as well wait for proper fix.

Pucer screen arriving this week. If we keep the van it’s unlikely I’ll treat with aqua tex, I would rather just use a screen if rain is forecast. But rejection on the cards too, discussion with my wife later tonight.

Hello,

Anyone got the direct email of Adrian? I have tried emailing the generic executive.office one but no reply.

I just spoke to the dealer and my Cali has arrived in the UK.

He is adamant that the 04S bellows which will be on my van do not leak but experience on here suggests differently?

Can anyone with 04S confirm they have had leaks please?
Who is the dealer?

Liverpool VW
Well, there are a few 04S that leak. Read back on the thread a few pages...

I think there are a few ways to view this issue. My advice would be to be as pragmatic as you are comfortable with.

Hello,

Anyone got the direct email of Adrian? I have tried emailing the generic executive.office one but no reply.
I'm not sure he's going to reply.

You need a case number logged against the problem vehicle and if I've followed the thread correctly you haven't picked the Cali up yet, let alone determined if your bellows leak or otherwise.

Adrian called me this afternoon to follow up on our previous conversation.

He had received my email in which I presented the poll findings as of Thursday morning last week along with my suggestions for approving the use of Fabsil or Aqua Tex on a case by case basis.

Whilst he would not say how many new cases he has been advised of, he did indicate that there were not just a few and that nearly all of them are now relating to recent van deliveries.

I specifically requested him to escalate my suggestions and to seek approval from the relevant channels. I pointed out that in my opinion a sensible decision on this would create customer goodwill and could well avoid many warranty claims which would cost VW or their bellows supplier a significant amount.

I explained to Adrian that at the very least, Aqua Tex or Fabsil could provide a temporary fix for affected owners, giving VW more time to find an effective solution.

I also suggested that VW should approach the bellows manufacturer to establish if there are any reasons why Aqu Tex or Fabsil should NOT be used.

Our conversation was amicable and I hope productive.

Adrian said he would escalate my suggestions along with feedback that several of us have already used Aqua Tex or Fabsil with excellent results.

We have another call scheduled for next week.

I may be wasting my time trying to push water uphill, but it has to be worth a civil and sensible discussion.

As mentioned before, I would urge anyone else who is in discussion with Adrian to either tell him about your own success with Aqua Tex/ Fabsil or if you want to try it, push for official approval based on the reported success from others in the same boat.

Rejection makes most sense for some - not so much for others. We all have very different use cases/circumstances.

VW will get it sorted in time.

He had received my email in which I presented the poll findings as of Thursday morning last week along with my suggestions for approving the use of Fabsil or Aqua Tex on a case by case basis.

Whilst he would not say how many new cases he has been advised of, he did indicate that there were not just a few and that nearly all of them are now relating to recent van deliveries.

I specifically requested him to escalate my suggestions and to seek approval from the relevant channels. I pointed out that in my opinion a sensible decision on this would create customer goodwill and could well avoid many warranty claims which would cost VW or their bellows supplier a significant amount.

I explained to Adrian that at the very least, Aqua Tex or Fabsil could provide a temporary fix for affected owners, giving VW more time to find an effective solution.

I also suggested that VW should approach the bellows manufacturer to establish if there are any reasons why Aqu Tex or Fabsil should NOT be used.

Adrian said he would escalate my suggestions along with feedback that several of us have already used Aqua Tex or Fabsil with excellent results.

I may be wasting my time trying to push water uphill, but it has to be worth a civil and sensible discussion.

As mentioned before, I would urge anyone else who is in discussion with Adrian to either tell him about your own success with Aqua Tex/ Fabsil or if you want to try it, push for official approval based on the reported success from others in the same boat.
Looks like you put forward a good argument :)

I would imagine that dealers are already busy buying up stocks of Aqua Tex - maybe we won't see any more leakers delivered!!!!!

I guess the sceptic in me thinks this saga has gone on for quite a while now, and with the end of T6.1 cali production happening soon, will the appetite for a fix from VW wane? And how will this affect resale down the line?

I guess the sceptic in me thinks this saga has gone on for quite a while now, and with the end of T6.1 cali production happening soon, will the appetite for a fix from VW wane? And how will this affect resale down the line?
VW will sort it sure. No worries. They have already proven that they take it seriously with the 04S revision. The California is an iconic vehicle and VW know it must be looked after :)

VW will sort it sure. No worries. They have already proven that they take it seriously with the 04S revision. The California is an iconic vehicle and VW know it must be looked after :)
I for one don't share your optimism. I had all that from my dealer in July and yet here we are 9 months down the line with a couple of tweaks.

Folks who really didn't sign up for this will reject. The rest will swap bellows / try a DIY solution / use a topper...

I too am confident they will sort it. How long it takes remains to be seen.

That's why I think they need to take a sensible approach to using a waterproofing agent in the interim on failing bellows. It will allow customers to continue using their vans until a satisfactory fix can be found.

And who knows, if the Aqua Tex/Fabsil works in the longer term then for some customers replacing the bellows may not even be needed.

Judge by past experiences (not just Cali related) and VW do not instil a sense of optimism. They often have to be taken to court for a resolution. Total PITA.

Relax, VW will sort it.

Clever VW designer/engineers guys are working on it right now :)

I must be mad! We've just sold our old style canvas pop-top Cali and are hopefully getting a new one in June. It seems it will come complete with the latest long running roof saga. I was hoping that the latest O4S fabric would solve the problem, but it seems not.

Yes, top VW Engineers have been working on this fix for 18 months and we are little further forward. I wish I had your optimism.

Exceptional Engineering : r/memes

Back