Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

So my van has been in the workshop since Monday to have a new set of bellows fitted. Today the service manager phoned my up to tell me that they haven’t started the work yet as he’s had several emails this week from various people within VW asking which bellows they were fitting to my van. The reason being there is a new bellows out now that has been redesigned to stop the leaks… however as previously suggested on this forum, they haven’t changed the product number. It is still the C variant. The service manager said that’s virtually unheard of, but that’s what he’s been told by VW. The problem is he doesn’t know whether he is in possession of the C variant that leaks, or the ’new’ C variant that hopefully doesn’t. He’s trying to get that question answered, but no one at VW can answer the answer. Being as they have had the bellows in stock for at least 3 weeks, I‘m pretty confident it will be the leaky variant. He did finish off by saying that no one at VW seems to know their a#se from their elbow when it comes to these bellows.
So hopefully there is a non leaky bellows now being produced….. but it might be a lottery as to whether you get them fitted or the old C variant.
This is why the part number should be changed. It’s madness not to!

Pays to have the element of doubt though right? They hope in future customers don’t check - ‘oh yeah, the C variant? That doesn’t leak’ - assuming of course that they have fixed it.

So my van has been in the workshop since Monday to have a new set of bellows fitted. Today the service manager phoned my up to tell me that they haven’t started the work yet as he’s had several emails this week from various people within VW asking which bellows they were fitting to my van. The reason being there is a new bellows out now that has been redesigned to stop the leaks… however as previously suggested on this forum, they haven’t changed the product number. It is still the C variant. The service manager said that’s virtually unheard of, but that’s what he’s been told by VW. The problem is he doesn’t know whether he is in possession of the C variant that leaks, or the ’new’ C variant that hopefully doesn’t. He’s trying to get that question answered, but no one at VW can answer the answer. Being as they have had the bellows in stock for at least 3 weeks, I‘m pretty confident it will be the leaky variant. He did finish off by saying that no one at VW seems to know their a#se from their elbow when it comes to these bellows.
So hopefully there is a non leaky bellows now being produced….. but it might be a lottery as to whether you get them fitted or the old C variant.

I can guarantee he doesn't have the latest version.

This is why the part number should be changed. It’s madness not to!
They will be ‘fixing’ the old stock of C bellows to make new C bellows, I presume! Likely a cost based decision.

They will be ‘fixing’ the old stock of C bellows to make new C bellows, I presume! Likely a cost based decision.
I suspect the use of seam sealers but I also suspect some of these will only be usable during manufacture (between stitching) so I'm probably not that synical presently!!!!

Stop mucking about VW, we need a new part number and a few words to tell us what you are doing / have done to the canvas. Oh, and should you forget those words need to be consistent across the piece.
You are the second largest car maker in the world. You must be able to do better than this.

This is total mess.

I can update you on my case which is even bigger mess.
VW ordered an replaced my leaking bellows with new type C month ago but somehow old one layer light grey bellows were mounted.
Now VW local dealer and Slovenian importer dont want to admit there was a mistake.
For now I am waiting with lawyer since I am affriad I will get old leaking bellows back.

This is total mess.

I can update you on my case which is even bigger mess.
VW ordered an replaced my leaking bellows with new type C month ago but somehow old one layer light grey bellows were mounted.
Now VW local dealer and Slovenian importer dont want to admit there was a mistake.
For now I am waiting with lawyer since I am affriad I will get old leaking bellows back.
Why not just keep the one layer bellows? Mine is great.

I used to have a T6 with a single layer roof canvas. Never let a drop through. Why did VW change? I cant believe it was for cost reasons - the new double layer must be a more expensive solution.

We had our bellows replaced because of an accident in the dealers. Our new bellows is absolutely fantastic and let’s no water in what so ever. It is the light grey which we actually like as you get the early morning sun Shining through.
I can understand how disappointed you would be if you set you sight on a dark colour to match the van but we are 100% happy with ours.

I'm booked in to have the bellows replaced next week and have been in contact with Madihah at the VW Executive Office who seems to be the focus person for this issue. I have asked for specific information relating to what will be fitted by way of a replacement and have just had this reply from her:
"I can confirm a modified version of the bellows is now available. All the old stock has been removed from the parts warehouse therefore, there is no risk of an older set of bellows being provided." No indications as to exactly what the modification is but hopefully the seriousness of this problem is clear to VW and they are taking some action to mitigate the problem.
On another note can anyone help me locate exactly where the part number is located on the bellows - I can see from the photo previously that there is one but can't see where to locate it - thanks in advance.

I'm booked in to have the bellows replaced next week and have been in contact with Madihah at the VW Executive Office who seems to be the focus person for this issue. I have asked for specific information relating to what will be fitted by way of a replacement and have just had this reply from her:
"I can confirm a modified version of the bellows is now available. All the old stock has been removed from the parts warehouse therefore, there is no risk of an older set of bellows being provided." No indications as to exactly what the modification is but hopefully the seriousness of this problem is clear to VW and they are taking some action to mitigate the problem.
On another note can anyone help me locate exactly where the part number is located on the bellows - I can see from the photo previously that there is one but can't see where to locate it - thanks in advance.
The part number label is stuck on the black plastic stiffener sewn into the bellows (that helps the bellows fold inwards when the roof is lowered), above the drivers seat. Easiest to see if you part elevate the roof then pull the top edge of the fabric sleeve down. You may not be able to see the full part number.

20231001_104856.jpg

So I have a brand new Ocean, bellows untested in any rain. Do I ask if there is recall programm, or pretend I’ve used it and it leaks and ask for the new bellows ? Any thoughts ?

So I have a brand new Ocean, bellows untested in any rain. Do I ask if there is recall programm, or pretend I’ve used it and it leaks and ask for the new bellows ? Any thoughts ?
I'm in the same boat, in that my bellows have yet to be tested in anger. I am going to get them up and tested the next time it rains. In any case, it can't hurt to wait a few weeks and find out what the 'new' bellows are like and if they leak. We should await reports from Germany too. If VW are replacing the bellows, I think they will end up doing it for anyone who now askes.

Use a hose and spray front for as long as it takes to see water infiltration. In my case it was less than 5 mins in moderate rain.

I'm in the same boat, in that my bellows have yet to be tested in anger. I am going to get them up and tested the next time it rains. In any case, it can't hurt to wait a few weeks and find out what the 'new' bellows are like and if they leak. We should await reports from Germany too. If VW are replacing the bellows, I think they will end up doing it for anyone who now askes.
The dealer has to demonstrate the bellows leak before a warranty replacement will be authorized. A video clip if the leaks is not enough.

The dealer has to demonstrate the bellows leak before a warranty replacement will be authorized. A video clip if the leaks is not enough.
Thanks both. That’s a fair point - if the fitted bellows works ok (and there is a chance it does) then it would be wasteful to get a new one. And yes, let’s get some more feedback over time. Whatever, I have my Cali topper as backup

Thanks both. That’s a fair point - if the fitted bellows works ok (and there is a chance it does) then it would be wasteful to get a new one. And yes, let’s get some more feedback over time. Whatever, I have my Cali topper as backup
No dealer is likely to replace any part unless it’s been officially recalled OR they have followed procedures and demonstrated themselves that it’s defective. For the time being at least, it’s the latter situation we’re in. I would suggest testing it yourself (either in rain or with a hose). If it fails, take it to the dealer with photo evidence and let them test it.

Dealers have their hands tied; they have to get authorisation to replace parts unless they’re happy to risk absorbing the cost themselves as if VW reject their claim, they’ll have to cough up the costs themselves. They’re not likely to do that, less so if it’s not the one that sold your vehicle in the first place.

The part number label is stuck on the black plastic stiffener sewn into the bellows (that helps the bellows fold inwards when the roof is lowered), above the drivers seat. Easiest to see if you part elevate the roof then pull the top edge of the fabric sleeve down. You may not be able to see the full part number.

View attachment 115199
Thanks - I figure keeping a record of what changes from one bellows to the next may help reveal what actually changes....

Use a hose and spray front for as long as it takes to see water infiltration. In my case it was less than 5 mins in moderate rain.
Is there a similar message from VW Germany to VW UK?

In that yes there's a new version C but we've just removed all stock and replaced with an enhanced product with the same part number version?

Back