Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I would guess quality control. When I had my bellows replaced I heard the parts guys talking about “stickered” bellows. Sounded like they knew they were being send parts with extra QC.
Maybe the extra QC is “Fabsil applied at factory” and then they put the little ‘A’ sticker on. :Nailbiting

I pick up my Cali ocean on 4th March. I take it that the bellows should be 4S dated 22/11/23, if not my options are to reject the vehicle or ask the dealer to replace them.any thoughts?

I pick up my Cali ocean on 4th March. I take it that the bellows should be 4S dated 22/11/23, if not my options are to reject the vehicle or ask the dealer to replace them.any thoughts?
The dealer won’t replace them based on the tag. They need to be demonstrably faulty. You could refuse to take the van if you want but why bother? If the bellows leak you can just get them replaced under warranty. Whilst the 04S and date of manufacturemay provide some peace of mind it literally makes no difference to how the issue is handled.

Last edited:
Well I don't think VW have said anywhere that all on 4S dated prior to 9 Nov leak so I think if you collect it, you'd have to prove it leaked. Then if within 30 days you could seek to Reject or have fixed.

I suppose you could ask for a picture of the tag and if an old one, refuse to pay the balance but your contract may stipulate you are on the hook to cover some dealer costs.

Well I don't think VW have said anywhere that all on 4S dated prior to 9 Nov leak so I think if you collect it, you'd have to prove it leaked. Then if within 30 days you could seek to Reject or have fixed.

I suppose you could ask for a picture of the tag and if an old one, refuse to pay the balance but your contract may stipulate you are on the hook to cover some dealer costs.
That’s what I am thinking of doing just not picking up on the 5th March ..If old bellows..but ........best read the small print

I’ve asked my dealer for a photo of the tag. I won’t be transferring any money until I know where I stand with the bellow version. But likely to take the van regardless unless it’s an 03S version but I find that highly unlikely.

I’ve asked my dealer for a photo of the tag. I won’t be transferring any money until I know where I stand with the bellow version. But likely to take the van regardless unless it’s an 03S version but I find that highly unlikely.
I don’t get your logic. If the bellows leak they’ll get replaced for free with the latest version. Whats wrong with that?

I don’t get your logic. If the bellows leak they’ll get replaced for free with the latest version. Whats wrong with that?
Didn’t say there was anything wrong with it.

It’s more to do with planning. Do we book trips in etc. if it’s an 03S it’ll need changing and I’d want it replaced before booking in any trips or getting solar installed.

If it’s a later 04S then I’d be happy to book in trips expecting the bellows to be fine. And if they are then I’d book in getting my solar fitted too.

Last edited:
Go and pick up your van and start enjoying it. No point in worrying about stuff that might not happen. If your bellows leak then get them replaced under warranty.

I think it perfectly reasonable to not want a brand new van that is known to have leaking bellows.
You may not agree and be fine getting a fix under warranty (when they become available?)
We are all different and that is ok.

I think it perfectly reasonable to not want a brand new van that is known to have leaking bellows.
You may not agree and be fine getting a fix under warranty (when they become available?)
...many have experienced no end of hassle with bellows replacements, and many have found it an easy process.
Also we all use our vans differently.
Work out what suits you best, and work with your dealership to agree a workable solution.
Dont be swayed by others subjective opinions

...many have experienced no end of hassle with bellows replacements, and many have found it an easy process.
Also we all use our vans differently.
Work out what suits you best, and work with your dealership to agree a workable solution.
Dont be swayed by others subjective opinions

Can someone remind me where the 9/11 date came from? I’ve a vague recollection it was from Adrian or his predecessor. It’s definitely not mentioned in the note to dealers.

I find it quite weird that there’s a part that has different properties depending on date, despite the same part number, which makes the reports of the pre-9/11 04S leaking concerning to me as an 03S owner who hasn’t yet approached the dealer for a replacement set.

I didn’t say if it’s reasonable or not. I just don’t understand the logic. If it doesn’t leak there’s no issue and you won’t know until you use it. There’s no point in pre-empting problems that might not even exist.

Didn’t say there was anything wrong with it.

It’s more to do with planning. Do we book trips in etc. if it’s an 03S it’ll need changing and I’d want it replaced before booking in any trips or getting solar installed.

If it’s a later 04S then I’d be happy to book in trips expecting the bellows to be fine. And if they are then I’d book in getting my solar fitted too.
If I were you I'd book trips in and plan for everything to be good! We were one of the first suffers of the leaking pop tops which has took a considerable time to fix (fingers crossed all is now resolved), but we still used it - in a very wet year in the UK!! We just made a diy pop top cover for £50 as protection against the rain! Which we will still use as no where near as bulky as the ones you buy and good enough for us) We've had a few very wet trips to Scotland and it worked a treat.. I'd just try and trial it in a wet day before your trips, if it leaks take pics of van and screenshots of weather and get it booked in for a replacement. We've just been back to Liverpool and they were brilliant! Our local service centre not so much..! Make the repair if needed fit around your plans and enjoy the van :)

Although I have no clue about solar panels amd impact if the bellows do need replacing!

It's not ideal that we've all been put in this situation but can only make the most of it and I'm glad we had a year with the Cali than not x

But you rejected yours because of leaking bellows!!!!!!!

That’s what I am thinking of doing just not picking up on the 5th March ..If old bellows..but ........best read the small print
My contract definitely had clauses in it to make good any dealer costs in having to shift the van on. So I wasn't potentially just on the hook for 1k. But it would be a difficult area to prove and action by the dealer expensive and if they sold it for more than you were going to pay (for example if you used DTD) they wouldn't really have a case to keep your deposit.

But, all of this stuff was buried deep inside the small print...

Just speak to the dealer and explain you’re aware of the issues as doubtless are they, agree that the 03S are definitely useless (pretty sure they’d be swapped on sight actually without a leak test, different matter for the 04S) and agree that if it’s the 03S or a leaky 04S that you can have priority access to the workshop for replacement. If the dealer is even half decent they should be able to accommodate it.

There’s a lot of talk of rejections (and some that have) but that only really leaves you with the used market or a different vehicle entirely. Think long and hard before such severe action especially now the order books are looking to close very soon - trying to re-order might be difficult or even impossible.

RocckinNRollin,
Great well considered advice
However if it’s bellows are pre the magic date will put as much pressure on as possible rather than take what’s likely a compromised very expensive product.

Go and pick up your van and start enjoying it. No point in worrying about stuff that might not happen. If your bellows leak then get them replaced under warranty.
It’s the faff of having to have the van in the workshop for a period of time to have them replaced. Hopefully the dealer would have checked to see if they do leak as part of the PDI as it is a known fault.

Just speak to the dealer and explain you’re aware of the issues as doubtless are they, agree that the 03S are definitely useless (pretty sure they’d be swapped on sight actually without a leak test, different matter for the 04S) and agree that if it’s the 03S or a leaky 04S that you can have priority access to the workshop for replacement. If the dealer is even half decent they should be able to accommodate it.

There’s a lot of talk of rejections (and some that have) but that only really leaves you with the used market or a different vehicle entirely. Think long and hard before such severe action especially now the order books are looking to close very soon - trying to re-order might be difficult or even impossible.
Dealer sent me an email confirming the issue has been resolved so hopefully all good. However, there are a number of owners on here that have had numerous issues trying to resolve the leaky bellows.despite assurances it was sorted. I am in a good position as my local dealer Breeze in Poole have had fantastic reviews with there customer service.

It’s the faff of having to have the van in the workshop for a period of time to have them replaced. Hopefully the dealer would have checked to see if they do leak as part of the PDI as it is a known fault.
They definitely won’t do it as part of the PDI. Mainly because no one actually knows the revision that’s definitely faulty nor do they know the definitive version that’s the fix.

Hi Mark For me If it’s post magic date bellows will take my chances and pick up otherwise it’s staying there until that’s what’s sorted ...or not Good luck on your pick up And to the others who just pick up and enjoy i want to sleep in the rain not drive With the roof down.

Back