Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Hi Mark For me If it’s post magic date bellows will take my chances and pick up otherwise it’s staying there until that’s what’s sorted ...or not Good luck on your pick up And to the others who just pick up and enjoy i want to sleep in the rain not drive With the roof down.
Sounds logical to me. Explain things to the dealer, I'm sure they'll understand and help as much as they can.

Can someone remind me where the 9/11 date came from? I’ve a vague recollection it was from Adrian or his predecessor. It’s definitely not mentioned in the note to dealers.

I find it quite weird that there’s a part that has different properties depending on date, despite the same part number, which makes the reports of the pre-9/11 04S leaking concerning to me as an 03S owner who hasn’t yet approached the dealer for a replacement set.
The 9/11 date comes from Adrian, who in turn advises that is what VW are saying internally. As you say, it wasn’t in that one page note to the dealers (copy attached).

The relevance of that date remains unknown, and Adrian advises every week when we speak that he is still chasing VW in Germany for the rationale. There remains no feedback from VW yet as to whether 04S bellows differ after that date or whether it’s just a random date (eg when the 04S started to be distributed).

If people have bellows dated prior to 9/11 then I would suggest email or speak to Adrian so you are on his list - he will then phone you weekly until resolved and also speak to the dealer you have selected for the repair. He is very candid in admitting that 03S are acknowledged as a failed part, and in my own experience I haven’t had to prove they leak (go in tmrw for 2nd set of replacement, albeit first set of 04S). First occasion I was in/out same day, this time 4 days as they are repairing paint also.

For those awaiting new vans the theory is the production line has been getting first call on the later 04S bellows, so Adrian believes, so hopefully you will be ok

Attachments

• VW guidance leaking roof.pdf
    503.3 KB · Views: 36
But you rejected yours because of leaking bellows!!!!!!!
Yes I did because they leaked and the replacements leaked. At the time there was no immediate solution so I didn’t want to continue paying for a vehicle I couldn’t use on PCP. Whats your point?

The 9/11 date comes from Adrian, who in turn advises that is what VW are saying internally. As you say, it wasn’t in that one page note to the dealers (copy attached).

The relevance of that date remains unknown, and Adrian advises every week when we speak that he is still chasing VW in Germany for the rationale. There remains no feedback from VW yet as to whether 04S bellows differ after that date or whether it’s just a random date (eg when the 04S started to be distributed).

If people have bellows dated prior to 9/11 then I would suggest email or speak to Adrian so you are on his list - he will then phone you weekly until resolved and also speak to the dealer you have selected for the repair. He is very candid in admitting that 03S are acknowledged as a failed part, and in my own experience I haven’t had to prove they leak (go in tmrw for 2nd set of replacement, albeit first set of 04S). First occasion I was in/out same day, this time 4 days as they are repairing paint also.

For those awaiting new vans the theory is the production line has been getting first call on the later 04S bellows, so Adrian believes, so hopefully you will be ok
I agree, the factory is very likely to have the most updated/revised bellows available. Anything less would be crazy. This is the main reason i am feeling relatively relaxed about taking delivery of a new van soon...that, and the fact that i have confidence in the supplying dealership.

Encouraging that over a period of time your experience of Adrian has remained positive.

Yes I did because they leaked and the replacements leaked. At the time there was no immediate solution so I didn’t want to continue paying for a vehicle I couldn’t use on PCP. Whats your point?
That old expression: "whats good for the monkey must be good for the organ grinder" comes to mind :) I've probably missquoted , but you get the gist.

Your earlier comment (saying it is illogical to reject a van, or whatever) and the fact that you rejected your own van, proves you are an open minded person and can evolve your position/change your mind :) Good on yer!

Above stuff is humour and as such is probably complete rubbish :)

Makes sense to not hand over the cash if you know that a defective part has been used, as that's your biggest bartering chip. That said, we've had our van for four years almost, and we've been caught in the rain a handful of times. All depends on use case.

That old expression: "whats good for the monkey must be good for the organ grinder" comes to mind :) I've probably missquoted , but you get the gist.

Your earlier comment (saying it is illogical to reject a van, or whatever) and the fact that you rejected your own van, proves you are an open minded person and can evolve your position/change your mind :) Good on yer!

You have completely missed my point. It’s illogical to reject a van you don’t know is faulty. To reject a faulty one that a repair had been attempted on and didn’t work makes sense. Apparently there’s a new part that doesn’t leak now. There wasn’t when I rejected my van.

...thing is...it may be too early to tell if the 04S have actually sorted the issues. It looks like they may have, but we truly do not know. So, in reality nothing much has changed.

That said, things are looking up (a little) :)

Makes sense to not hand over the cash if you know that a defective part has been used, as that's your biggest bartering chip. That said, we've had our van for four years almost, and we've been caught in the rain a handful of times. All depends on use case.
With you all the way on that one. Good call :)

Cheers Andy. The cynic in me thinks it could well be an arbitrary date chosen on the basis of when the 04S were likely to be in circulation. Without any evidence stating the difference between the pre/post dates it’s impossible to say. It does seem that most leaks are coming from pre 9/11 bellows - but then it’s also possible that there are more of these in circulation and having been out longer have been exposed to more weather.

Good luck with the next fix, appreciate your updates.

You have completely missed my point. It’s illogical to reject a van you don’t know is faulty. To reject a faulty one that a repair had been attempted on and didn’t work makes sense. Apparently there’s a new part that doesn’t leak now. There wasn’t when I rejected my van.
...i am always missing the point. Sorry :)

Ooooothemoney....having rejected your first California, will you be ordering another California to replace it with?
Yes I have done that. If it wasn’t on PCP we wouldn’t have been as bothered but the amount we were paying each month for a van we couldn’t use properly with no solution in sight wasn’t going to work for us.

Put an at sign in front of peoples usernames and it’ll tag them and do a lookup of their name :cool:

Apparently there now isn't a new part. If by "new part" you mean a new Product Code to indicate the fixed bellows.

We are back to the best option being 04S manufactured after 9 November 23. The part number remains as it has done for months...

And apparently, in the after sales distribution network bellows with 04s after 9 Nov are like hens teeth with dealers apparently still being shipped 03S and 04S prior to 9 Nov.

Apparently there now isn't a new part. If by "new part" you mean a new Product Code to indicate the fixed bellows.

We are back to the best option being 04s manufactured after 9 November 23. The part number remains as it has done for months...
Yes that always seemed rather illogical to me if the part has had changes made. Sounds like the logistics have been all over the place as a result with the wrong bellows ending up at dealerships because the part number is the same. It makes no sense!

Yes that always seemed rather illogical to me if the part has had changes made. Sounds like the logistics have been all over the place as a result with the wrong bellows ending up at dealerships because the part number is the same. It makes no sense!
I’m sure I read on here they are finishing production of the 6.1 Cali in June. It’s probably too much faff to bring in new part number (although seems the logical solution) for just a few months.

It’ll eventually be replaced by the t7 Cali.

I wonder what those poptops are like….

I’m sure I read on here they are finishing production of the 6.1 Cali in June. It’s probably too much faff to bring in new part number (although seems the logical solution) for just a few months.

Or is it more likely that by introducing a new part number they’re admitting that the previous part needed a revision and admitting there is a fault with it?

Or is it more likely that by introducing a new part number they’re admitting that the previous part needed a revision and admitting there is a fault with it?
VW are a transparent and customer focused company - they always admit fault when they are responsible... after all, this evidences that they are improving their product.

I think they will be just fine...as they will have the benefit of us lot field testing the bellows and its many revisions?

Was this the grand plan?

Doubt it. People love a conspiracy theory though.
They do. I think VW engineers/designers are constantly improving, this time it went slightly wrong. Took my van to the Lakes Friday...they really are pretty well sorted :)

Back