Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

The 9/11 date comes from Adrian, who in turn advises that is what VW are saying internally. As you say, it wasn’t in that one page note to the dealers (copy attached).

The relevance of that date remains unknown, and Adrian advises every week when we speak that he is still chasing VW in Germany for the rationale. There remains no feedback from VW yet as to whether 04S bellows differ after that date or whether it’s just a random date (eg when the 04S started to be distributed).

If people have bellows dated prior to 9/11 then I would suggest email or speak to Adrian so you are on his list - he will then phone you weekly until resolved and also speak to the dealer you have selected for the repair. He is very candid in admitting that 03S are acknowledged as a failed part, and in my own experience I haven’t had to prove they leak (go in tmrw for 2nd set of replacement, albeit first set of 04S). First occasion I was in/out same day, this time 4 days as they are repairing paint also.

For those awaiting new vans the theory is the production line has been getting first call on the later 04S bellows, so Adrian believes, so hopefully you will be ok
My dealer eventually replaced my bellows with another 03S despite checking with them for tge correct part before leaving it with them.
Also looks like some one walked on it as its soiled. I have rejected the repair and am awaiting their proposal for rectification.

My dealer eventually replaced my bellows with another 03S despite checking with them for tge correct part before leaving it with them.
Also looks like some one walked on it as its soiled. I have rejected the repair and am awaiting their proposal for rectification.
Ah sorry to hear that. Can fully relate to it though, sadly, as my first replacement was a set of 03S along with a chip in the paint on the drivers door. That despite the dealer confirming several times that they definitely had 04S replacements ready for me - frankly I think they just thought let’s ignore him as how can he possibly know what he’s talking about ! Anyhow I have seen the label this time as wasn’t going back in until they had shown me. If you havent already make sure you have Adrian in the loop, as it seems he gets nearly as frustrated as us about the time being taken to resolve and does speak to the dealers regularly - am sure that helps with some, others may ignore him too !

Ah sorry to hear that. Can fully relate to it though, sadly, as my first replacement was a set of 03S along with a chip in the paint on the drivers door. That despite the dealer confirming several times that they definitely had 04S replacements ready for me - frankly I think they just thought let’s ignore him as how can he possibly know what he’s talking about ! Anyhow I have seen the label this time as wasn’t going back in until they had shown me. If you havent already make sure you have Adrian in the loop, as it seems he gets nearly as frustrated as us about the time being taken to resolve and does speak to the dealers regularly - am sure that helps with some, others may ignore him too !
Yes, I feel for you. I have Adrian in the loop who has spoken with the dealer several times on this matter but they fail to deliver, fiegning ignorance of the issue and its rectifications. I raised this issue with them in July 23 and its only Adrian's involvement that has prompted any action from them.
Stay tuned for the next excruciating episode.

Yes, I feel for you. I have Adrian in the loop who has spoken with the dealer several times on this matter but they fail to deliver, fiegning ignorance of the issue and its rectifications. I raised this issue with them in July 23 and its only Adrian's involvement that has prompted any action from them.
Stay tuned for the next excruciating episode.
Can you name this dealership please, so we can avoid them ?

Just a word of warning for anyone about to take their van in for replacement bellows - I was due to drive 5 hours back to the supplying dealer for a second replacement bellows today. At my insistence, they checked the part VW delivered this morning only to find they were dated October. This despite the dealer and VW EO repeatedly stating that VW have assured them that all old bellows have been removed from circulation. This comes two weeks after the dealer confirmed they had the new replacement bellows in stock, only for VW to then flag the new part number they had told dealers to order was actually for the manual roof not the hydraulic.

Its hard to imagine any corporation being this incompetent about something they could care less about... ...ah, maybe that's the answer right there.

Oh same as ours - brought forward from week 6. Picking ours up real soon so that’s good to read
We were week 5 but it started prod end of week 4.

I wonder if the colour of the van has something to do with what variant you get too. As it’s all pre sprayed.

Ours is candy white.

We were week 5 but it started prod end of week 4.

I wonder if the colour of the van has something to do with what variant you get too. As it’s all pre sprayed.

Ours is candy white.
Candy white here too! Ours is with Breeze but due to busy schedules we are not picking it up until mid March. So relieved to see that bellows tag

Just a word of warning for anyone about to take their van in for replacement bellows - I was due to drive 5 hours back to the supplying dealer for a second replacement bellows today. At my insistence, they checked the part VW delivered this morning only to find they were dated October. This despite the dealer and VW EO repeatedly stating that VW have assured them that all old bellows have been removed from circulation. This comes two weeks after the dealer confirmed they had the new replacement bellows in stock, only for VW to then flag the new part number they had told dealers to order was actually for the manual roof not the hydraulic.

Its hard to imagine any corporation being this incompetent about something they could care less about... ...ah, maybe that's the answer right there.
Has anyone actually had a replacement bellows fitted with a date more recent date than 9 Nov 23??

Don't all shout at once.

Can you name this dealership please, so we can avoid them ?
Dartford. Latest episode update, they fitted what they were told to do.
Now in a cross fire between VW exec and the dealer.
Thinking is it all worth it and getting rid.

Just had update from the dealer. Van is due to arrive with them in the next few days and he'll send a photo of the tag when it arrives with them.

I'm expecting our collection date will be 9th March.

Does yours have an extra foam or rubber I insert along the front horizontal seam do you know?
No, it's the same as the original.
I raised this in my discussion with the service manager.
We appear to have better knowledge that the dealers.

Back