Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

No, it's the same as the original.
I raised this in my discussion with the service manager.
We appear to have better knowledge that the dealers.
Okay but you don't have the latest version...

Has anyone actually had a replacement bellows fitted with a date more recent date than 9 Nov 23??

Don't all shout at once.
Yes - 22/11/23 according to the photo the dealer has sent me albeit van is still in with them having something else done, and am due to collect it tomorrow so haven’t been able to physically inspect yet. 50% chance of rain on Friday, so am definitely working from home then and keeping my fingers crossed the weather forecast deteriorates a bit further for the day so that I can give them a test! Will report back. Also, like most of us I am curious to see if there is any noticeable physical difference.

Yes - 22/11/23 according to the photo the dealer has sent me albeit van is still in with them having something else done, and am due to collect it tomorrow so haven’t been able to physically inspect yet. 50% chance of rain on Friday, so am definitely working from home then and keeping my fingers crossed the weather forecast deteriorates a bit further for the day so that I can give them a test! Will report back. Also, like most of us I am curious to see if there is any noticeable physical difference.
Hope the collection goes well. Be good to hear the results of your first test and if there is any changes you can see to the bellows?

Just a word of warning for anyone about to take their van in for replacement bellows - I was due to drive 5 hours back to the supplying dealer for a second replacement bellows today. At my insistence, they checked the part VW delivered this morning only to find they were dated October. This despite the dealer and VW EO repeatedly stating that VW have assured them that all old bellows have been removed from circulation. This comes two weeks after the dealer confirmed they had the new replacement bellows in stock, only for VW to then flag the new part number they had told dealers to order was actually for the manual roof not the hydraulic.

Its hard to imagine any corporation being this incompetent about something they could care less about... ...ah, maybe that's the answer right there.
This is so annoying - I have had something similar twice.
first time - yes they are definitely 04S sir, I collect van = so why does that label say 03S then ? Oh and is that a new chip on the drivers door ?
second time - got your 04S in stock sir, bring the van in. Errrrmmm send me a pic of the label please. No need sir they are definitely the right part. Dated after 9/11? Yes VW confirm they are the right part. Really, so why won’t you send me a pic then ? Speak to someone else there, yes they are fine sir, we have a nice new set of 04S for you dated 20th October. Send em back please and try again, and you now have a free slot in your workshop tomorrow not earning you any income
third time - seen the pic of label so van is with them now and due back tmrw.

Maybe the extra QC is “Fabsil applied at factory” and then they put the little ‘A’ sticker on. :Nailbiting
Found the attached site which looks to have a plausible explanation as to what the A sticker might mean. Scroll down to the end where they talk about superseded parts I.e. where they revise a part due to the first version needing improvement, they add a letter to then end of the part number but otherwise keep the the number the same. In which case it’s important that replacement bellows have it. Per my recent pictures though mine had the A sticker on the packaging but not on the label attached to the front zipper, so all is not lost if your label doesn’t have it. Maybe this is where the importance of the 9th November date comes from. Might still be just Fabsil of course!

Found the attached site which looks to have a plausible explanation as to what the A sticker might mean. Scroll down to the end where they talk about superseded parts I.e. where they revise a part due to the first version needing improvement, they add a letter to then end of the part number but otherwise keep the the number the same. In which case it’s important that replacement bellows have it. Per my recent pictures though mine had the A sticker on the packaging but not on the label attached to the front zipper, so all is not lost if your label doesn’t have it. Maybe this is where the importance of the 9th November date comes from. Might still be just Fabsil of course!

I don't think it explains the A sticker.

The original powered bellows (pre July 23) had no revision code. From July they inherited the C variant. Here's mine:

The dealer found the part number on the bellows.
Old part number: 7LA8750597MH
New part number: 7LA875059C7MH

The manual bellows which VW told dealers to install 2 weeks ago (and then quickly to uninstall) had an original variant of B which changed to E after July 23.

The VW notes internally say the difference was the addition of a seam sealer.

I don't know if the part number has changed since July - anyone know this??

The A sticker is more likely an extra level of QC or maybe a super concentrated fabsil!!!!

I believe the part number for the powered roofs at least changed in mid-Jan.

Another possible explanation of the A sticker is it shows where a product has been subject to sample check inspections? Bit like the "QC" sticker you sometimes randomly get stuck on products.

I believe the part number for the powered roofs at least changed in mid-Jan.

Another possible explanation of the A sticker is it shows where a product has been subject to sample check inspections? Bit like the "QC" sticker you sometimes randomly get stuck on products.
That's what I thought. It appears that the new part number issued by VW to the dealers was actually for the manual version and this was issued in error. Installs are being reversed.

Dealers are back to ordering the older one and hoping for an 04S with a date more recent than 9 Nov.

Are you sure your guys didn't install a manual one?

Fingers crossed just got a picture from dealer of my bellow label picking van up on the 9th March

View attachment 119821
They say every picture tells a story, this one tells me that the quality of the picture is similar to the quality of most of the dealerships. Extremely poor. They obviously begrudge having to keep us informed so much so that they can't even be bothered to take a decent picture. Let's just hope that their mechanical skills are far better than their photographic ones.

That's what I thought. It appears that the new part number issued by VW to the dealers was actually for the manual version and this was issued in error. Installs are being reversed.

Dealers are back to ordering the older one and hoping for an 04S with a date more recent than 9 Nov.

Are you sure your guys didn't install a manual one?
I don't know, but it's the right date, an 04S and it fits . . . looks identical in design to the others my van has had.

I don't know, but it's the right date, an 04S and it fits . . . looks identical in design to the others my van has had.
You would only be able to tell the difference by looking at the product number.

Might be worth doing that as there is very little difference between the powered and manual bellows but the manual ones fitted in error, VW have requested to be replaced asap by the dealer.

If anyone wants to view the actual product code, it's here.
https://www.caliboard.de/topic/32905-erfahrung-neuer-faltenbalg-t61/page/41/#comment-502804

It's a faff but the details are there...

You would only be able to tell the difference by looking at the product number.

Might be worth doing that as there is very little difference between the powered and manual bellows but the manual ones fitted in error, VW have requested to be replaced asap by the dealer.

If anyone wants to view the actual product code, it's here.
https://www.caliboard.de/topic/32905-erfahrung-neuer-faltenbalg-t61/page/41/#comment-502804

It's a faff but the details are there...
I have double checked and the serial number and part number on mine are correct for the electric roof. :cool:

I have double checked and the serial number and part number on mine are correct for the electric roof. :cool:
Good news, is this still the part number? This was what I had fitted as my first and second replacements.

7LA875059C7MH

Although that's the bog standard colour.

I don't think it explains the A sticker.

The original powered bellows (pre July 23) had no revision code. From July they inherited the C variant. Here's mine:

The dealer found the part number on the bellows.
Old part number: 7LA8750597MH
New part number: 7LA875059C7MH

The manual bellows which VW told dealers to install 2 weeks ago (and then quickly to uninstall) had an original variant of B which changed to E after July 23.

The VW notes internally say the difference was the addition of a seam sealer.

The A sticker is more likely an extra level of QC or maybe a super concentrated fabsil!!!!
There appears to be state of chaos with this in VW land at the moment. I had a 03S replaced with an 03S dated September when I was told the new standard was 04S post November. The desler insists that they have fitted WHATEVER Commercial executive instructed them to do.
Thee dealer quoted part no. 7LA875059C7MH for the newly fitted bellows but this is identical to the one that was replaced, no additional foam as has been described.
Awaiting response from the dealer to my rejection of their work.

There appears to be state of chaos with this in VW land at the moment. I had a 03S replaced with an 03S dated September when I was told the new standard was 04S post November. The desler insists that they have fitted WHATEVER Commercial executive instructed them to do.
Thee dealer quoted part no. 7LA875059C7MH for the newly fitted bellows but this is identical to the one that was replaced, no additional foam as has been described.
Awaiting response from the dealer to my rejection of their work.
I don't think there's any doubt the 03S are a problem; unfortunately, I'm not sure the dealer bulletins have ever mentioned 04S directly (although VWEO seem to have been told that).

The lack of part number changes I find incredibly frustrating - how on earth can you ever hope to version control a product without some definitive mechanism?! I know "in theory" the 02/03/04 etc. are a revision number, but it doesn't seem to be recognised by VW and as such, dealers aren't always viewing it as such (or so it appears anyway).

Last edited:
I was just wondering if anyone that’s getting their new Cali soon are getting ceramic coating done by dealer?

I was just wondering if anyone that’s getting their new Cali soon are getting ceramic coating done by dealer?
I have had it on a previous candy white California that i purchased as second owner at a few months old - honestly i could not notice any difference/advantage at all. I have also had a silver and a pale grey one, and they cleaned up just fine - a microfiber cloth is your best friend as it cleans off the leaf and bird dropping stains very easily.

I think it does - if you mean at the base of the half moon vent?
Got mine back from dealer last night and looking at the seams in the replacement bellows I think there is a thin, black rubber strip in the bottom seam of all three half moon windows. i would say it’s rubber rather than foam though. It’s actually quite hard to see as it’s sandwiched between the two layers of fabric and a very neat job - definitely can see it in the front window but pretty certain it’s in the bottom seam of the two side windows too.

initial testing ongoing in this fabulous British weather - I won’t comment yet though as don’t want to jinx it !

I have had it on a previous candy white California that i purchased as second owner at a few months old - honestly i could not notice any difference/advantage at all. I have also had a silver and a pale grey one, and they cleaned up just fine - a microfiber cloth is your best friend as it cleans off the leaf and bird dropping stains very easily.
No point then?

Insurance isn’t cheap either. But I’m coming at it with 0 NCB. That being said Comfort say your NCB make no difference to the quote. Tracker getting installed by VW.

Got mine back from dealer last night and looking at the seams in the replacement bellows I think there is a thin, black rubber strip in the bottom seam of all three half moon windows. i would say it’s rubber rather than foam though. It’s actually quite hard to see as it’s sandwiched between the two layers of fabric and a very neat job - definitely can see it in the front window but pretty certain it’s in the bottom seam of the two side windows too.

initial testing ongoing in this fabulous British weather - I won’t comment yet though as don’t want to jinx it !
Testing ongoing? Great to hear, keep us updated please :)

Question therefore stands as to what has been done to create a water tight seam along the zipper stitching. I was seeing significant water infiltration through the curved front panel zipper (both sides) and not the bottom seam.

Back