Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

No point then?

Insurance isn’t cheap either. But I’m coming at it with 0 NCB. That being said Comfort say your NCB make no difference to the quote. Tracker getting installed by VW.
Personally, i would not get ceramic coating, others may have a different take on it? All of my vans have cleaned up just fine, and white is a very forgiving colour as it does not show the inevitable fine scratches (can be a little more noticeable on dark colours). Your'e getting a candy white one? Yes?

I've insured with Comfort for years, never claimed, but they seem to have been good on price. Comfort have new for old for 3 years/15,000 miles as well, worth having.

Personally, i would not get ceramic coating, others may have a different take on it? All of my vans have cleaned up just fine, and white is a very forgiving colour as it does not show the inevitable fine scratches (can be a little more noticeable on dark colours). Your'e getting a candy white one? Yes?

I've insured with Comfort for years, never claimed, but they seem to have been good on price. Comfort have new for old for 3 years/15,000 miles as well, worth having.
Won’t bother with it then. I wasn’t going to but I’ve already said no to some protection pack then he tried to just push the ceramic coating as a lot of others get it for their ocean, apparently.

Yeah the new for old goes on by default with a new vehicle. You just have to give them a vehicle RRP value and not the price you paid.

I’m thinking about getting GAP too. As 15k miles over three years is pretty low.

Yeah it’s candy white we are getting.

Question therefore stands as to what has been done to create a water tight seam along the zipper stitching. I was seeing significant water infiltration through the curved front panel zipper (both sides) and not the bottom seam.
I can’t see anything obvious else where besides the rubber insert in the bottom seams - the only thing might be different are the pull cords that are tied on to the zippers which seem different somehow, so whether that means the zippers are new and improved, I am not sure - or just a different reel of cord. My previous leaks were along the bottom seam of all three windows, but others have also mentioned leaks around the zippers in the same way you have experienced. Stitching generally looks a bit neater, I think, but material textures don’t feel any different, albeit granted I don’t have the old set to hand to do a direct comparison.

Won’t bother with it then. I wasn’t going to but I’ve already said no to some protection pack then he tried to just push the ceramic coating as a lot of others get it for their ocean, apparently.

Yeah the new for old goes on by default with a new vehicle. You just have to give them a vehicle RRP value and not the price you paid.

I’m thinking about getting GAP too. As 15k miles over three years is pretty low.

Yeah it’s candy white we are getting.
Good call. Ceramic coating in my view is pretty much a con!

Personally i'm not going to bother with GAP insurance, as residuals are good with Californias (hence insurance payouts will be reasonable if written off) - in my case i do not have a great deal of finance, so i guess that influences my decision too.

Candy white looks really good - i went for Ascot grey as it has a bit of retro vibe :)

I can’t see anything obvious else where besides the rubber insert in the bottom seams - the only thing might be different are the pull cords that are tied on to the zippers which seem different somehow, so whether that means the zippers are new and improved, I am not sure - or just a different reel of cord. My previous leaks were along the bottom seam of all three windows, but others have also mentioned leaks around the zippers in the same way you have experienced. Stitching generally looks a bit neater, I think, but material textures don’t feel any different, albeit granted I don’t have the old set to hand to do a direct comparison.
The panoramic window has a sort of two-fold storm flap on the outside; I've noticed on my previous bellows they seemed to be "out of sequence" so were partially open, but by opening the window halfway then straightening them out with my fingers so they overlapped, they stayed that way since. I could believe if they're not overlapping, it would let rain in quite easily.

Got mine back from dealer last night and looking at the seams in the replacement bellows I think there is a thin, black rubber strip in the bottom seam of all three half moon windows. i would say it’s rubber rather than foam though. It’s actually quite hard to see as it’s sandwiched between the two layers of fabric and a very neat job - definitely can see it in the front window but pretty certain it’s in the bottom seam of the two side windows too.

initial testing ongoing in this fabulous British weather - I won’t comment yet though as don’t want to jinx it !
Excellent news. Those were the only seams which have leaked on my replacements.

Might I ask what the tag date and serial number is?

Well that doesn't assure anything just yet; pretty certain there have been "dripping examples" with those same sealing strips on here already. Now whether (weather?!) they will "seal up" with a few uses as the threads/material settle is another matter.

For those who have received their van over the last year, what does the V5 doc specify the vehicle type as for the ocean - MPV or Motorhome? Wondering if the issue where it had been deemed as a MPV by DVLA has been resolved?

Good call. Ceramic coating in my view is pretty much a con!

Personally i'm not going to bother with GAP insurance, as residuals are good with Californias (hence insurance payouts will be reasonable if written off) - in my case i do not have a great deal of finance, so i guess that influences my decision too.

Candy white looks really good - i went for Ascot grey as it has a bit of retro vibe :)
Told them no regarding ceramic.

Yeah, it was either white, ascot or black and we'd had the latter on a camper van before and decided to go good ol' trusty white this time.

Dated 22/11/23 and O4S - annoyingly the dealer removed the tag when fitting, albeit I did have a pic of it from before fitting (hoping thats the ones they actually fitted now!)
The serial number is in the picture attached, which was the label on the protective wrapping, and is in line with what others have quoted in the past few days on here.
It doesn’t mention 04S on the packaging, just the date, so I do wonder if that’s why VW are sticking to their story around the date being the crucial element, as that’s all that’s visible in the stock room, as to see 04S tag the dealer would need to unpack them.

image001.jpeg

Dated 22/11/23 and O4S - annoyingly the dealer removed the tag when fitting, albeit I did have a pic of it from before fitting (hoping thats the ones they actually fitted now!)
The serial number is in the picture attached, which was the label on the protective wrapping, and is in line with what others have quoted in the past few days on here.
It doesn’t mention 04S on the packaging, just the date, so I do wonder if that’s why VW are sticking to their story around the date being the crucial element, as that’s all that’s visible in the stock room, as to see 04S tag the dealer would need to unpack them.

View attachment 119882
How's it holding up to the weather test?

For those who have received their van over the last year, what does the V5 doc specify the vehicle type as for the ocean - MPV or Motorhome? Wondering if the issue where it had been deemed as a MPV by DVLA has been resolved?
Body type = motor caravan
Taxation class = private/light goods

How's it holding up to the weather test?
So, at the risk of jinxing it - it had about an hour of relatively heavy rain, followed by about 3-4 hours of light rain/drizzle and then the sun came out (annoying!) - no drips so far. Nowhere near a conclusive test but it’s a good start of course and the sort of conditions I had experienced some leakage with the first set.

So, at the risk of jinxing it - it had about an hour of relatively heavy rain, followed by about 3-4 hours of light rain/drizzle and then the sun came out (annoying!) - no drips so far. Nowhere near a conclusive test but it’s a good start of course and the sort of conditions I had experienced some leakage with the first set.
That sounds promising. :)

It's finally my turn. 04S A - 17/01/2024

Here is a photo of our tag. Also a photo of the front of the pop top inside / out if that helps at all.

Also, nice to see the dealer isn't using a potato to take the photograph - always appreciated.

Collecting on the 11th March

1709306532648.png
1709306540026.png
1709306547245.png

Last edited:
Body type = motor caravan
Taxation class = private/light goods
Agree with the above, that’s what it should be. However dealers have messed up the registration of Cali’s over recent years (search a few threads on this), so it’s worth checking with the dealer, as you’re likely to get the V5c around a week later.

Agree with the above, that’s what it should be. However dealers have messed up the registration of Cali’s over recent years (search a few threads on this), so it’s worth checking with the dealer, as you’re likely to get the V5c around a week later.
I’ve sent him an email.

The reason I asked was because of all the old threads so I wondered what the most recent deliveries have had on their v5.

Previous posts suggested that it was dvla that messed up and not the dealer.

Ours is 04S with date 30/10/23 and A sticker. Will report back on how it goes. I’m optimistic all will be fine though but no problem if not, will just get sorted under warranty.

Ours is 04S with date 30/10/23 and A sticker. Will report back on how it goes. I’m optimistic all will be fine though but no problem if not, will just get sorted under warranty.
Have you just collected your new one??

Back