Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

Out of the blue the dealer rang today. New bellows arrived this morning, not next Tuesday, now fitted and just picked up the van. They’ve tested and what a surprise it passed the water test I’m told. We shall see when I test it. Dark and windy now. Testing will be tomorrow. I asked about the part number they’ve fitted and was shown the job card which I’ve photographed the part number for others and So I can be certain that these are new new and if they fail won’t be fitted again

View attachment 116007
Waiting with baited breath on the water test...

Can you detect any discernible difference between these bellows and the ones they replaced? Were the one's replaced the C Variant or the original...

Also be great to get a breakdown of exactly how you tested it once you’ve finished.

Water test completed, no rain of worthy mention here today so I reverted to my normal garden hosepipe. Started off very wary with a mist that was quite light, aimed directly at the front of the bellows. Nothing at all after 5 minutes.
Got mega confident and turned the hose on full with a heavy spray pattern, aimed again at the bellows largest area standing just in front of the front bumper (got a bit closer now). A solid 5 minutes longer. I’m now gobsmacked as it’s still bone dry inside. Left it to rest now for 30 minutes (thought the water might wet the canvas and drain down like the old bellows did). Repeated the hose on full for another 5 minutes. It’s still dry. Left it now for 2 hours still nothing at all inside. No weeping dripping or seeping. No glistening. The old bellows failed within 5 minutes previously.

noticeable differences between this bellows and the old one.
canvas doesn’t change colour when being subjected to water
inside the base of the bellows appears to be hermetically sealed rubber. The old wasn't, I think it was cloth.
it’s moderately less tight, but hardly noticeable.
err, it’s dry inside :)

can’t get to the numbers inside it would damage the bellows.

I will sign off that it’s fine when I’ve had a night of heavy rain but I’m very optimistic now.

the bellows that were replaced were the ones that came on the vehicle when new in September.

IMG_4717.jpeg

IMG_4716.jpeg

IMG_4713.jpeg

Last edited:
@Betsycalifornia - Do you have some close ups of the seam stitching inside?
The fabric looks the same to me, so I wonder if the difference is copious amounts of fabsil..

Sounds promising. A caveat is that there are examples where previous bellows have passed similar hose tests so there has always been some variation in performance.

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Notable that the seams haven’t been obviously sealed with a product that produces a visible barrier.

Water test completed, no rain of worthy mention here today so I reverted to my normal garden hosepipe. Started off very wary with a mist that was quite light, aimed directly at the front of the bellows. Nothing at all after 5 minutes.
Got mega confident and turned the hose on full with a heavy spray pattern, aimed again at the bellows largest area standing just in front of the front bumper (got a bit closer now). A solid 5 minutes longer. I’m now gobsmacked as it’s still bone dry inside. Left it to rest now for 30 minutes (thought the water might wet the canvas and drain down like the old bellows did). Repeated the hose on full for another 5 minutes. It’s still dry. Left it now for 2 hours still nothing at all inside. No weeping dripping or seeping. No glistening. The old bellows failed within 5 minutes previously.

noticeable differences between this bellows and the old one.
canvas doesn’t change colour when being subjected to water
inside the base of the bellows appears to be hermetically sealed rubber. The old wasn't, I think it was cloth.
it’s moderately less tight, but hardly noticeable.
err, it’s dry inside :)

can’t get to the numbers inside it would damage the bellows.

I will sign off that it’s fine when I’ve had a night of heavy rain but I’m very optimistic now.

the bellows that were replaced were the ones that came on the vehicle when new in September.

View attachment 116027

View attachment 116028

View attachment 116029
Hi, after your tests today, did you drop the roof with the bellows still wet? I'm asking because my bellows leaked a lot with the roof down (due to the saturated outer face of the fabric). It was raining all day and night when I did my test and I didn't want to leave the roof up overnight. Your description of your new fabric suggests it is no longer impersonating a sheet of blotting paper, so it would be interesting to know if you get any water ingress if circumstances mean the roof is closed with wet bellows.

Hi, after your tests today, did you drop the roof with the bellows still wet? I'm asking because my bellows leaked a lot with the roof down (due to the saturated outer face of the fabric). It was raining all day and night when I did my test and I didn't want to leave the roof up overnight. Your description of your new fabric suggests it is no longer impersonating a sheet of blotting paper, so it would be interesting to know if you get any water ingress if circumstances mean the roof is closed with wet bellows.
I left it up for a while. Lowered the roof as it went dark it’s still slightly wet on the outside but nothing came inside. It didn’t hold water like the bellows that were replaced. They were sponge like.

I left it up for a while. Lowered the roof as it went dark it’s still slightly wet on the outside but nothing came inside. It didn’t hold water like the bellows that were replaced. They were sponge like.
In my case the water entered through the compromised seams in the semi-circular window when I closed the poptop and folded the fabric. I would expect that if these latest bellows are now rain proof water would be unable to infiltrate into the cabin. This is further evidence VW are heading in the right direction.

I was driving my new van in the rain today...pulled over by a lake and had my lunch, was tempted to put up the roof, but thought better of it :)
Got to thinking about the roof leaks, and of the van in general.
We buy them because they really are very good vans...make our lives better in so many ways. I have had four of them so far, and i am not alone, many of us have had them for years and years...
The leaky roof has been a big disappointment for sure...it has made the van impractical for family use, and has been a big cause of worry and concern for some.
If the reports of the latest roof bellows replacements not leaking are correct, this is a very positive sign.
VW and their dealership network have obviously been working hard to find a fix for the issue.
Too early to know if this is sorted for sure...but looking better than it did yesterday :)

oh wow. i am so pleased for all. This may be near the end of this thread eh?

Hopefully! but if the dealer said the vehicle still had 4 wheels you'd probably have to count them to be sure!
I collected mine from eurovans Crawley 4weeks ago and they said the same. It has been ok with occasional rain but this week with persistent rain all week it has been leaking a bit but not as much as some peoples so ours will be going in to VW for a fix

Back