Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I think the change was forced due to to supply chain issues, rather than an elected change. It seems a bit coincidental it happened a short while after the conflict in Ukraine erupted (or escalated strictly speaking, after Crimea in 2014). The movement to the 02S from earlier "fabric" bellows seems logical as it meant you could have bedding against the bellows and it would stay dry, but the move to the 03S I think was forced. My guess is a new supplier had to be found, they were given a design brief but either didn't have access to the same materials or for their own manufacturing reasons had to use different materials; clearly R&D was lacking (probably due to immense pressure from VW to get stock flowing PDQ) and from that point they've repeatedly been on the back foot.

My guess is as you say, it either represents those that have been sample checked, or they don't adhere very well and half of them fall off.

I think it's pretty straightforward really; pretty much everyone at VW (both dealers and EO) are now saying "if it leaks, bring it in", mirroring pretty much the approach for anything else warranty related. If instead the customer elects to "solve the problem themselves", it is quite clear those affected components are potentially no longer covered by warranty. Now, if VW were being more obtuse with their attitude towards warranty and repairs, I'd be more inclined to kick up a fuss, but as they're being fairly helpful in the main, I don't think their stance is unreasonable.
I had a conversation with Adrian before he left. This was on the 15th of May. He said the view from VW then was "people can use a waterproofing product but if it negatively affects the zips or the seams the warranty is invalid. If the sealant doesn't affect the bellows then the warranty is still covered". I also had a conversation with a good source in VW who said that unlike many warranty replacements the bellows are not being sent back to VW, they are being disposed of locally. So it seems that it's very much down to the local service manager and his view. My service manager has been extremely pragmatic and helpful. Other service managers are available…

Yes, I’ll do that in the next day or so. The differences aren’t obvious but i think they are there
As promised, here are some photographs of my new 05S Bellows. They show what I think is a wider gusset over the zips on the outside, and they show the black interfacing on both the vertical and horizontal seams. Excuse dirty fingernails - just got back in from the garden. (The wider gusset may be my imagination)

Interfacing on front vertical zip.jpeg

Interfacing on front window.jpeg

Interfacing on horizontal zip.jpeg

Wider gusset.jpeg

As promised, here are some photographs of my new 05S Bellows. They show what I think is a wider gusset over the zips on the outside, and they show the black interfacing on both the vertical and horizontal seams. Excuse dirty fingernails - just got back in from the garden. (The wider gusset may be my imagination)

View attachment 125183

View attachment 125184

View attachment 125185

View attachment 125186
Could this be the answer and finally its all resolved?...Is Bellows Gate over as we know it??

Could this be the answer and finally its all resolved?...Is Bellows Gate over as we know it??
I truly hope so. I was originally going to take the Cali in for warranty replacement in March but the 04S turned out to be a dud. Now with only 6 months left on the factory warranty it will go into the dealer in the Autumn so I hope the 05S is the real deal.

View attachment 125183

View attachment 125184

View attachment 125185

View attachment 125186

So compared to my 04S belows:

(vertical seam [same for whole length of the zip] on largest front square opening)
(seam behind half moon window)
(gusset size)

IMG_6800.JPG

IMG_6803.JPG

IMG_6802.JPG

Looks to me like the difference is the addition of the black fabric layer (seal tape?) to the large window...

So compared to my 04S belows:

(vertical seam [same for whole length of the zip] on largest front square opening)
(seam behind half moon window)
(gusset size)

View attachment 125212

View attachment 125213

View attachment 125214

Looks to me like the difference is the addition of the black fabric layer (seal tape?) to the large window...
Yes, gusset size looks the same - my imagination.
Half moon window - looks the same interfacing
vertical zip - interfacing on 05S but not the 04S

I haven’t inspected every single seam, but the 05S side windows also have the interfacing. The stitching is tight so not easiest to inspect - may it’s because it’s better sewn, maybe it’s because it’s new.

Now waiting for a heavy thunderstorm!

I haven’t inspected every single seam, but the 05S side windows also have the interfacing. The stitching is tight so not easiest to inspect - may it’s because it’s better sewn, maybe it’s because it’s new.

My 04S failed along the seam retaining the horizontal strengthening bone on the front. I admit it was a hose test, so only representative of rain that is somewhat wind driven. Hope either mine is a rogue one or that they have added something there too...

Everyone is held in suspense waiting for that ongoing series of thunderstorms!

First night in the rain with the new 5S was a 50/50 success, the canvas appears to be water tight around the sticking but I had a pool of water in each front corner internal of the van looks like it is either leaking through the rubber seal at the base somehow or it is through the canvas stitching right at the base. Awaiting dealer response
You appear to be the only one of two leaky O5S reports. Any update?

We now have 05S. It does appear that all the seams (including the horizontal strengthening bone) are now taped. This could very well be the eureka moment ! ….

Our Cali has been tested by the dealer and the 04S bellows confirmed to leak with replacement bellows ordered. Hoping the replacement is 05S…and hoping even more it actually fixes the problem!!

Our Cali has been tested by the dealer and the 04S bellows confirmed to leak with replacement bellows ordered. Hoping the replacement is 05S…and hoping even more it actually fixes the problem!!
I think the future is bright and all this will just become a poor moment in time for VW & the California but if it is now resolved , let’s enjoy and use those vans.. At least anyone from late 2022 onwards will all still be under warranty and if a O5S bellows is the solution they will be there for the taking. Let’s all hope we have turned a corner and soon this thread will become just a frustrating museum article that we have all moved on from with some gaining a free topper along the journey. I’ve Just signed my finance forms today with new Cali being registered tomorrow and collected early July ..fingers crossed as I PX my O2S’s.

Hope you get another Van Mark and it’s all good after your bellows truma
We won’t be getting a diesel. I think we are going to hold off for a bit. See what happens over the next year or two.

I think the priority now is to focus on moving back to Scotland and then maybe get an ID Buzz for short trips. Weekends up to couple of weeks.

I’ll obviously keeping an eye on the new California. I think we just want electric next.

Yeah, I have to say I’m sad not having it but it has made us reevaluate things.

Enjoy your trips!!
Have you any idea what you're having next. The leaking bellows were the catalyst for me to change to a bigger van which is a decision which I'm really pleased with. So every cloud has a silver lining, even though I miss the ultra coolness of the VW Cali !

Have you any idea what you're having next. The leaking bellows were the catalyst for me to change to a bigger van which is a decision which I'm really pleased with. So every cloud has a silver lining, even though I miss the ultra coolness of the VW Cali !
Nah still no idea really.

What did you get?

we don’t really want to part with a lot of cash again on a depreciating asset.

That being said, VW just announced the GTX and LWB ID Buzz.

We are currently watching Glasto and would ideally like to have a van for that if we can get tickets in the future.

We’d also maybe just get an old camper / motorhome. More risk of breakdown but not a huge financial down payment.

Nah still no idea really.

What did you get?

we don’t really want to part with a lot of cash again on a depreciating asset.

That being said, VW just announced the GTX and LWB ID Buzz.

We are currently watching Glasto and would ideally like to have a van for that if we can get tickets in the future.

We’d also maybe just get an old camper / motorhome. More risk of breakdown but not a huge financial down payment.
Wanted to keep the VW thing, but didn't fancy the GC and didn't need the 4 berth option so went for a Westfalia Sven Hedin. Probably not cool enough for Glastonbury but a smart enough large van in the black. Just need to find some decent alloys to replace the awful standard steel wheels!!

Wanted to keep the VW thing, but didn't fancy the GC and didn't need the 4 berth option so went for a Westfalia Sven Hedin. Probably not cool enough for Glastonbury but a smart enough large van in the black. Just need to find some decent alloys to replace the awful standard steel wheels!!
Oh wow. You went for the Sven. Seems to be the natural progression for people that outgrow their Cali.

It’s definitely an option for us but I’m just not sure I want an ICE vehicle again (especially when we get rid of the Polo).

Awaiting Dealer response still, have since done another thorough test at home and i do have a leak but not from the base as first suspected it is from the front zipped window and coming in on the bottom of the window aperture so it can only be from the stitching arrangement, it is strange as everywhere else seems perfect just this one small area
dealer is going to contact me again on the 1st they want the van back to do there own test but I have done a thorough test at home and it is still leaking but in one area only.

IMG_9365.jpeg

Back