Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaving the Club.

Thanks Kev. I've ticked the appropriate box so fingers crossed!
If others want to exclude some sections, I found the page CaliKev shared above by clicking on my user name (top right on PC), then selecting 'ignore posts' rather than 'preferences' as Kev suggests.

Best wishes Paul, look after that lovely Westfalia. :thumb

please remove me as a member of this club. I am tired of seeing personal cowardly patronising attacks concerning politics and referendum . I am a member of another club who has a strict rule that politics , Religion , and personal insults will not be allowed and this club should be the same. Paul.
@Paul1 - unfortunately you probably won't get the chance to read this. Clearly there has been a lot of mixed views on your post. I can only say, thank you for posting your reasons for leaving. It has triggered a debate which was a little overdue. Everyone has an opinion and I like the idea they can be shared although disagree wholeheartedly with the manner in which it is done by some on a daily basis - so hopefully now with the suggestions from @T4WFA and @Calikev (or was it @Martin - too much pre match wine maybe...) we can get back to being a helpful forum for those that want it, and those that like to live close to the edge can keep it in their own area.

There is a very cleft stick here.

I know of other forums that are terribly controlled on what subjects users can post on and I have seen both an excess of moderator zeal and an excess of admin-bashing because even though rules are there users expect a forum to be a totally open process. Indeed in those forums there is more friction and more hostility towards what is not allowed to be said than here where it can be said!

In open house there have been a couple of threads that I have found distasteful in the way entrenched views have been trotted out with interminable regularity and with ever increasing disrespect to other posters who do not hold the same view, but also conversely there has been a wonderful array of oddball off topic humour.

We can't talk Cali's all the time. If we did then it drifts towards the spanners and hammers end of cali ownership and for me that is when I would say goodbye. We need an outlet to say Well done Wales, some bloke in France tried to shoot me, let's have a laugh, a cry, a shout and a moan, we are a community not a set of cali-driving robots.

Yes, distasteful threads do crop up, try refereeing an American history forum at a time a presidential nominee elect is threatening to build a wall :shocked That trumps anything that I find here :(

Also just look at the reception the OP gets in this thread.

He's leaving, tells everyone why, and get's shot down in flames. We all agree intolerant aspects in this forum are distasteful but let's prove it by showing intolerance to the OP :D

Been away for a week - sounds like things have been lovely on the Brexit front.

I'm a moderator on a trade form and the Talk forum used to get completely out of hand which looked terrible for anyone just looking at the site. What we did was create a separate forum, which you had to specifically register to access, just for any contentious discussions. Anything that started to get a bit out of hand on the open forum got moved into the private area. Worked for us, peace and goodwill ever since :rolleyes:

He's leaving, tells everyone why, and get's shot down in flames. We all agree intolerant aspects in this forum are distasteful but let's prove it by showing intolerance to the OP :D
I am hoping that last "intolerance" was meant to read "tolerance"... or did I miss a joke?

Been away for a week - sounds like things have been lovely on the Brexit front.

Totally enthralling,

let's not go there....

please :(
I am hoping that last "intolerance" was meant to read "tolerance"... or did I miss a joke?

It was a twist on words that in retrospect was opaque.

Excuse me.

After yesterday I am "rattled".

This thread is interesting. Although Paul could have resisted the temptation to 'knock' some of the behaviour on the forum and just ask to have his details removed, we users could have just left the thread alone, apart from perhaps just notifying a moderator to achieve his wish.

The forum has become a much less friendly place since the 'open house chit chat' has become increasingly used. I've got dragged in too so I'm not throwing stones. I know we can choose to ignore that section but it repeatedly appears in the way I view the forum (I use 'new posts' so I don't miss anything, and once you've contributed to a thread, that little red flag is always drawing you back as soon as there is another contribution).

Sharing problems with our vans, and great holidays enjoyed, gives us enough to talk about when we get to meet for real at the 'meets'. Putting faces to names is a pleasure.
The growing amount of political debates is I fear starting to create lists of "people I don't want to meet" / "don't want to be pitched near too" at a meet.
For me, I'd love to see the open-house section removed. There are better internet places where I can have arguments and debates with people I don't know. Having them here is damaging the community.

I know that won't be everyone's view, so is there / can there be a way that I can completely exclude / hide that part of the forum yet still allowing me to use the full functionality of the forum (recent posts / unread posts)?

Thanks
I don't think that will insulate you completely. There's still Beach v Ocean/SE, DSG v manual, 4motion v 2wd etc etc etc!

Plus, you might miss something! There are some interesting threads on there :D

It was a twist on words that in retrospect was opaque.
Excuse me.
After yesterday I am "rattled".
GJ, that's what I thought and wanted to get clarification before it was misinterpreted. I hope you are doing ok. Again, well done for being there and representing us that aren't. Alison

I am on a number of forums, currently there is a long Brexit thread on every one. I would say that the one on this forum is quite civil compared to others. My fav though is on a ski forum, all anyone cares about is whether they can still go and work in France for the winter and how much the price will go up.

Six days and two pages took me not to reply....as i not want to get mixed up in this.
But seems i can't restist.
This post is useless , if you (for whatever reason) can't get used to this forum or the things posted you should just not visit .
Leaving a post like this makes you part of those you mention in your post on page one.
The OP was last seen today at 7.42pm .....not posted anything since this postbon monday but is checking frequent on the status of this tread.....
Any of you aware on what he actually wants to achive by this post?
Tearing us appart , let's not give him that pleasure.
Nothing against him , in fact i even did not recall his name whem reding the post.
Think it is better you move on ( Paul)
Think we should "lock" this tread .

Last edited:
Six days and two pages took me not to reply....as i not want to get mixed up in this.
But seems i can't restist.
This post is useless , if you (for whatever reason) can't get used to this forum or the things posted you should just not visit .
Leaving a post like this makes you part of those you mention in your post on page one.
The OP was last seen today at 7.42pm .....not posted anything since this postbon monday but is checking frequent on the status of this tread.....
Any of you aware on what he actually wants to achive by this post?
Tearing us appart , let's not give him that pleasure.
Nothing against him , in fact i even did not recall his name whem reding the post.
Think it is better you move on ( Paul)
Think we should "lock" this tread .
My thoughts exactly Wim......forums are full of different personalities, all with differing outlooks on life so arguments are bound to happen on occasion, as they have done on this forum recently on a few threads. I still think it's a much friendlier forum than any others i use despite there being a few newer members who seem to enjoy stirring and mixing things up.
Which is why I don't understand the point of the OP on this thread - if you genuinely want to leave a forum it's the easiest thing in the world to do, you just don't bother visiting anymore more as I've done on other forums in the past.
It just seems a bit strange to announce it to everyone and then hang around to see what response it gets? Perhaps they just enjoy seeing the reaction it gets?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

if you genuinely want to leave a forum it's the easiest thing in the world to do, you just don't bother visiting anymore
My view as well just dump the short cut on your pc and change your pasword and forget it

I am not into dogs or bike so never look at these post

Bit difficult when the teeth are in a glass :shocked

Even more so if they are someone else's teeth, there is something especially unpalatable about putting ones tongue into someone else's dentures, even if bubbling in a glass of Steradent! :)

My Sister has a small denture.

Last year we shared a bathroom when we had a big family get together in a villa in the South of France.

I stumbled into the bathroom one night, a trifle wrse for wear, brushed my teeth with some strange substance, and found the "travel sized toothpaste" I used was fixadent :shocked

Most of the family wished that my Sister had substituted superglue :sad

I am not into dogs or bike so never look at these post

I have two dogs and nine bikes.... apart from Southampton and Candy White we have nothing in common;)

Seems he keeps checking this tread every day.

Hi Paul how are you , any news....:)
Did you cut your fingers off and can't type anymore?

Last edited:
And here I am just making innocent comments about mattress toppers or roof covers - I never realised the forum is such a ferment of political agitation and dispute! Why? This forum is primarily about VW Californias - surely there are other platforms more suited to political discussions?

Seems he keeps checking this tread every day.

Hi Paul how are you , any news....:)
Did you cut your fingers off and can't type anymore?

He won't be back now he has a stalker as well.

Guys & Girls I quote from Disney Bambi, Mrs Thumper to Thumper. "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"

Crikey we all have an off day don't we ? GJ Wilko's do some really good plastic screw top canisters about 10cm tall, for coffee, teabags, sugar, false teeth etc. Don't rattle around so much, better than a glass.

Back