Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery advice

Hubble

Hubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi
Last weekend we camped off grid and after 3 days the battery was down to 11.2 v, having been fully charged before we went. We only use the fridge , a bit of phone charging and a bit of lighting at bedtime. Previously we have got about a week out of it.
So it seems like the battery is failing? It’s at least 5 years old. How can I test for definite that the battery is on it’s way out?
Assuming it is, I have a none-original multi stage charger from Caravan and Leisure Technology which has settings for lead acid and Gel batteries, but not AGM. Current battery is a AGM. Will another AGM battery work ok with this charger? I have read that they operate pretty much the me as Gel but seem to be cheaper.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

hellow
first of all, I don't know anything about electricity or battery testing so I can't help you with that but: a week? waaw, never achieved even with brand new batteries. Our fairly recent household batteries last three days off grid, about the same usage as you describe. I don't think there's anything wrong, but if you had a week, well, maybe :cool:
Happy travels
Greetings

Have a wee search on the forum for leisure batteries. I am sure @WelshGas has mentioned he has camped for longer than that without problems. Maybe down to well maintained batteries. Hopefully he can comment.

Have a wee search on the forum for leisure batteries. I am sure @WelshGas has mentioned he has camped for longer than that without problems. Maybe down to well maintained batteries. Hopefully he can comment.
Unfortunately the OP has a T4 with just 1 Leisure Battery, I think.

Hi
Last weekend we camped off grid and after 3 days the battery was down to 11.2 v, having been fully charged before we went. We only use the fridge , a bit of phone charging and a bit of lighting at bedtime. Previously we have got about a week out of it.
So it seems like the battery is failing? It’s at least 5 years old. How can I test for definite that the battery is on it’s way out?
Assuming it is, I have a none-original multi stage charger from Caravan and Leisure Technology which has settings for lead acid and Gel batteries, but not AGM. Current battery is a AGM. Will another AGM battery work ok with this charger? I have read that they operate pretty much the me as Gel but seem to be cheaper.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
What size Battery do you have?
Is it 5 yrs old, or older?

I would have thought that 3 days without being charged was pretty good . We had our batteries replaced under warranty after just under 3 years because they weren't holding a charge any longer so we now always put them on charge for 24 hours every month.

Back