Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery not charging when driven

I had the same problem when my beach was new, it just wasn't charging the batteries. I even had a voltmeter plugged in and it was hovering around the 12.3-12.5 (which I think is float charge?). At the same time the stop start wasn't working.

I did a lengthy charge on hookup and then a diagnostic with an OBD reader and it started working after that.

Later I found out they had changed the AGM leisure battery for a lead acid which makes me wonder if thats part of the issue (different voltage requirements for AGM?) . I don't know if this caused problems or why it happened to be honest but in my case it was I think software not hardware.

The leisure battery circuit is fused at 80A so a 60A charge would be sufficient as it doesn't get 80A stuffed into it, but 60A is the most it will draw likewise if if I bought a 40A unit the max it would draw is 40A.
However, their 60A unit is £380 which I would rather spend one one of Rogers Solar systems..
If you go this route can you give a blow by blow how to do it account? I think a few here would be very interested in a "How to..." post (my GLW for one!).

I had the same problem when my beach was new, it just wasn't charging the batteries. I even had a voltmeter plugged in and it was hovering around the 12.3-12.5 (which I think is float charge?). At the same time the stop start wasn't working.

I did a lengthy charge on hookup and then a diagnostic with an OBD reader and it started working after that.

Later I found out they had changed the AGM leisure battery for a lead acid which makes me wonder if thats part of the issue (different voltage requirements for AGM?) . I don't know if this caused problems or why it happened to be honest but in my case it was I think software not hardware.
Thanks for this. My "problem" seemed to intermittent. I went for a short run this morning and all seemed to be OK. Just checked and the control panel is reading 12.7v, 100% -0.2A. So seems all is OK. JW

Thanks for this. My "problem" seemed to intermittent. I went for a short run this morning and all seemed to be OK. Just checked and the control panel is reading 12.7v, 100% -0.2A. So seems all is OK. JW
Don't take as gospel the Control Panel Leisure Battery %. The Voltage seems accurate.
Also the Starter Battery takes Priority.

I have noticed on occasion it not being charged and is because the alternator is under ecu control and can be set to idle, and whilst in the mode you can also see current flow from the leisure side across to the vehicle side and this is normal because our vehicles have a relay for split charge.

Hi Loz . Sorry I'm a bit thick but how do you see current flow from liesure side to vehicle side . I know about the relay .

Hi Loz . Sorry I'm a bit thick but how do you see current flow from liesure side to vehicle side . I know about the relay .
The leisure battery has a monitoring module attached to the negative lead and this shows on the display as either a positive value when charging or a negative value when discharging. With every thing off the most it shows discharging is -0.2 amps which will be the display module itself, anything above this is flowing across the vsr to the vehicle side.

I have noticed on occasion it not being charged and is because the alternator is under ecu control and can be set to idle, and whilst in the mode you can also see current flow from the leisure side across to the vehicle side and this is normal because our vehicles have a relay for split charge.
Hi Loz, I recently have noticed negative charging values whilst driving on my control panel and then high positive swings, then it eventually settles down to circa 2 amps charge. Leisure battery shows 100% when engine switched off so I think it's being charged ok. Do you think this the ecu idle feature that you described? I have only recently noticed this and was worried I have a problem. Because I live in an apartment I haven't been on hookup for quite a few months.

Hi Loz, I recently have noticed negative charging values whilst driving on my control panel and then high positive swings, then it eventually settles down to circa 2 amps charge. Leisure battery shows 100% when engine switched off so I think it's being charged ok. Do you think this the ecu idle feature that you described? I have only recently noticed this and was worried I have a problem. Because I live in an apartment I haven't been on hookup for quite a few months.
Yes, and is normal..

Hello Tom, I'm writing to you because I'm having trouble finding you on your own. With motor off absorption 0.0 A, with negative amperage motor -10A, - 15A and sometimes with the word "overload".
My cali is 2010 and therefore should not have the problem of the "shunt" right? ps. I changed the 2 service batteries and also the special fuse on the rear battery but I did not fix anything.
How did you solve it?
I look forward to your advice :)

Thank you

California SE 2010.

Our leisure batteries are only charging on hookup. Not charging when driving.
G symbol showing when driving.
Plug symbol showing when on hook up.
Reset control panel several times.
No charging current showing at either battery when engine running.
Control panel while driving showing negative value while fridge is running.

80 amp fuse under passenger seat OK.
75 cube fuse on battery in boot OK.
Control panel showing second battery selected.

Help! What might I have missed?

Many thanks

Nick

California SE 2010.

Our leisure batteries are only charging on hookup. Not charging when driving.
G symbol showing when driving.
Plug symbol showing when on hook up.
Reset control panel several times.
No charging current showing at either battery when engine running.
Control panel while driving showing negative value while fridge is running.

80 amp fuse under passenger seat OK.
75 cube fuse on battery in boot OK.
Control panel showing second battery selected.

Help! What might I have missed?

Many thanks

Nick
How do you know the Leisure Batteries are not charging?
You have the “G” symbol showing. Are you not getting a voltage reading of 14.4 v or more when driving? If that is the case then check the voltage on the Engine Battery when the engine is running. That should be 14.4 v or so. If not then the Alternator needs checking out.
If the voltage is OK then the Split Charge Relay needs checking.
A good Autoelectrician should be able to sort you out.

Thank you for your replies.

I guess the simplest answer is to say that the leisure batteries if, for example at 40% at the start of a two hour drive are still at 40% or less when we get home.

The engine battery when the engine is running shows a charging current. The leisure batteries do not.

Ah, sorry I should explain better. Where is the split charge relay located so I can find it and replace it?

Thanks

75138058-0BCE-488F-8122-DAD6CF443E77.png I’ll have a look but I guess it’s the one lurking on the far right of this photo with what looks like a relay symbol on it.

Yes that's it, but looks like the bigger 150A version.
I have a spare if you want to try it, you are only down the road from me, so why don't you pop up and Ill take a look for you?

Thanks Loz, that would be a great help. One evening next week?