Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery not charging when driven

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thank you for your replies.

I guess the simplest answer is to say that the leisure batteries if, for example at 40% at the start of a two hour drive are still at 40% or less when we get home.

The engine battery when the engine is running shows a charging current. The leisure batteries do not.

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Ah, sorry I should explain better. Where is the split charge relay located so I can find it and replace it?

Thanks

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
75138058-0BCE-488F-8122-DAD6CF443E77.png I’ll have a look but I guess it’s the one lurking on the far right of this photo with what looks like a relay symbol on it.

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Yes that's it, but looks like the bigger 150A version.
I have a spare if you want to try it, you are only down the road from me, so why don't you pop up and Ill take a look for you?

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thanks Loz, that would be a great help. One evening next week?

zcsccg1

zcsccg1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Good morning all,

Just a quick follow on from this, I checked mine last night as I can't remember seeing it charge. I've only had the van just under a year so I'm still not fully up to speed yet so forgive the ignorance.

When the ignition was started it was showing a G on the display but a minus figure on the current. I left it for a while and it was fluctuating in the minus range (between -6 and -4 ish), but I noticed it kicked in to charge (showing >>20A on the display) when I switched on the vehicle lights - which I thought was a bit odd.

Is this normal behaviour? Should it charge constantly or just when some logic decides to switch it on/off? The battery is at about 80% charge so not full, so I guess i'd expect it to start charging as soon as the engine is running.

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Good morning all,

Just a quick follow on from this, I checked mine last night as I can't remember seeing it charge. I've only had the van just under a year so I'm still not fully up to speed yet so forgive the ignorance.

When the ignition was started it was showing a G on the display but a minus figure on the current. I left it for a while and it was fluctuating in the minus range (between -6 and -4 ish), but I noticed it kicked in to charge (showing >>20A on the display) when I switched on the vehicle lights - which I thought was a bit odd.

Is this normal behaviour? Should it charge constantly or just when some logic decides to switch it on/off? The battery is at about 80% charge so not full, so I guess i'd expect it to start charging as soon as the engine is running.
Yes normal, the blue-motion technology allows the alternator to idle(no charge) when the starter battery is over 80%. The fact that you saw greater than 20A is a good sign and means its working as it should.

zcsccg1

zcsccg1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Yes normal, the blue-motion technology allows the alternator to idle(no charge) when the starter battery is over 80%. The fact that you saw greater than 20A is a good sign and means its working as it should.

Thanks Loz! Brilliant. Thank you.

KJ-88

KJ-88

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
You’re welcome, pleasure to meet you both, any excuse to get into the A Fuse box :)
View attachment 35569
And a new 100A fuse and you’re good to go..

Hi there,

Thanks for all of the useful advice on the forum.
I have been trying to solve a very similar issue to this post, leisure batteries charge fine on hookup but not when driving despite G symbol being displayed. New leisure batteries in the last 6 months. Have checked voltage of both leisure and starter battery. I am keen to check the fuses in this photo - but I cannot work out where in the engine bay this is?! Sorry, aware this is likely a very daft question. Any pointers greatly appreciated! Thanks @Loz

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi there,

Thanks for all of the useful advice on the forum.
I have been trying to solve a very similar issue to this post, leisure batteries charge fine on hookup but not when driving despite G symbol being displayed. New leisure batteries in the last 6 months. Have checked voltage of both leisure and starter battery. I am keen to check the fuses in this photo - but I cannot work out where in the engine bay this is?! Sorry, aware this is likely a very daft question. Any pointers greatly appreciated! Thanks @Loz
Under the starter battery, there is a big black box. Try to unscrew all the screws, after you put out the battery, plate that holds the battery.
Not a very fun job to do...

KJ-88

KJ-88

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Under the starter battery, there is a big black box. Try to unscrew all the screws, after you put out the battery, plate that holds the battery.
Not a very fun job to do...

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look now, is it OK to disconnect the starter battery or will this cause issues? Thanks, Kristee

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look now, is it OK to disconnect the starter battery or will this cause issues? Thanks, Kristee
Probably not much issues.
If you have a charger, you could try to put on the charger on the leads before disconnecting the battery leads. Just isolate them very well.

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Same question but slightly different vehicle with different configuration of fuses etc under the passenger seat.

So, my 2019 Beach - does not charge the leisure battery when driving.

Seems to charge oK with solar and hookup.
(Solar hopeless mid-winter mind you)

I'm measuring the voltage with the Victron Bluetooth controller. It was ~10.9 volts yesterday & parking heater wouldnt come on (hence why I checked it).

Put it on electric overnight and was 13v this morning but still not properly charged I think as heater would still not come on and watching the victron, as I switched on the heater the battery voltage dropped to 5v.

This is the configuration under my passenger seat -- please can someone advise me where to look / which fuse? etc.....

thanks ever so much

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 9
Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Is the 80A fuse okay?
if yes, pull it out, and check for voltage in the fuse recepticle.
if none, you’ll have to remove the battery in the engine compartment, remove the cover to the E box, and check the status of the 100 amp fuse third from the left.