Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locked Out on Site

^ It will start the car but you can´t drive far with one cos the
key won´t be relaying info to the ecu.

My key (from VW ) does not start the engine at all
Made (orderd) by VIN nr . at VW dealer

My key will, got it cut at the van/busfest from the guys who know
their onions.

The fact it won't start is just the good thing ....when you somehow lose it they can't use it to take the car.

When I leave my van I always take the key with me. Paranoid about losing it having spent nearly £200 replacing a lost one previously! Agree a surf key is a good idea though.

Got a blade only cut and hidden on van, the VW assist guy recommended this, hope I never see the blade again !.

I just checked and ours doesn't lock on it's own.

What is happening is that when you grip the door here to pull
View attachment 37337

The lock gets pressed down accidentally by your little finger
View attachment 37338
This same thing happened to me but luckily my partner was in the van, we always lock using the drivers side door button, and when going to the loo on a night we have always just pulled the side door handle twice but it never ever locks again on its own, even if you just push the lock button down ever so slightly by accident this will cause the side door to lock and that only, try it and you will see how easy this is done ✅

Been mentiont before on the forum , can happen and not much to do about it , thats the system .
Button on door does a full lock , pulling twice on the sliding door opens it but lock again when closed.
You need to unlock the doors again on the driversdoors when going out ...
Hi HC, sorry to disagree but what you are saying above is incorrect. I have been locked out the same way as Sinbad and Volkswagen say it cannot happen and it is certainly not a standard design feature as suggested by GJ. Have you tried this on your van? My van spent two days in Liverpool Van Centre where they could not replicate the door locking or offer me any explanation whatsoever as to how this happened.

I posted this on Sept 20 2016 on the thread "misbehaving Central Locking System"

Hi everybody, can anyone help?

In the summer of 2015 on a site in France got up one morning opened the side door with the handle so leaving all the other doors locked (I had locked the doors the previous night with the button on the drivers door). My wife followed me with two cups of coffee and shut the door. The van locked itself with the key fob inside, Volkswagen say this can’t happen! It did!! The mechanic sent by the European Breakdown cover broke the passenger window to get in the vehicle. This happened again later that week but this time I had the key fob in my pocket so no more broken windows.

This year on a site in Germany I had opened the vehicle using the button on the drivers door, we both got out of the side door and I shut the door behind us. Sat having coffee with the key fob on the table in front of me the van locked itself. The indicators flashed as they would when you lock it using the button on the fob but the fob was on the table. This happened about half a dozen times on this years holiday. Again Volkswagen are saying it can’t happen. Again I am saying it did.

Has anyone else had the same experience or similar with the central locking system misbehaving on their van. It can’t just be one van with this problem.

Thanks.
(Sorry I can't just link to it)

I posted this on Sept 20 2016 on the thread "misbehaving Central Locking System"

Hi everybody, can anyone help?

In the summer of 2015 on a site in France got up one morning opened the side door with the handle so leaving all the other doors locked (I had locked the doors the previous night with the button on the drivers door). My wife followed me with two cups of coffee and shut the door. The van locked itself with the key fob inside, Volkswagen say this can’t happen! It did!! The mechanic sent by the European Breakdown cover broke the passenger window to get in the vehicle. This happened again later that week but this time I had the key fob in my pocket so no more broken windows.

This year on a site in Germany I had opened the vehicle using the button on the drivers door, we both got out of the side door and I shut the door behind us. Sat having coffee with the key fob on the table in front of me the van locked itself. The indicators flashed as they would when you lock it using the button on the fob but the fob was on the table. This happened about half a dozen times on this years holiday. Again Volkswagen are saying it can’t happen. Again I am saying it did.

Has anyone else had the same experience or similar with the central locking system misbehaving on their van. It can’t just be one van with this problem.

Thanks.
(Sorry I can't just link to it)
Yes happened to us this year . Doors locked by pressing button on drivers door opened sliding door to get out shut door and it locked up. Thankfully other half was still in van . I now unlock by drivers door button and always take the key with me just in case .cant remember it happening before . I have owned the van from new.

Yes happened to us this year . Doors locked by pressing button on drivers door opened sliding door to get out shut door and it locked up. Thankfully other half was still in van . I now unlock by drivers door button and always take the key with me just in case .cant remember it happening before . I have owned the van from new.
Hi Jeff,
Thankfully I think this is a rare event but when it happens it can have a bad effect if you're on holiday. We where in France, losing the rest of that day as no side window so stayed on campsite, all of the following day waiting for the glass to be replaced and I won't bore you to death with the arguments with Volkswagen on our return.

This can happen unlocking with a fob, if the microswitch on the door lock is sticking and the the car does not see the door open so it locks after 30 seconds if it does not see the door open.
This is a security feature incase you accidentally unlock it without noticing.

You can see this feature by unlocking the van with the fob but don’t open a door, wait 30 seconds and it locks.

It might be worth checking the display can see the all doors open and close repeatedly.

Hi Jeff,
Thankfully I think this is a rare event but when it happens it can have a bad effect if you're on holiday. We where in France, losing the rest of that day as no side window so stayed on campsite, all of the following day waiting for the glass to be replaced and I won't bore you to death with the arguments with Volkswagen on our return.
Hi Glyn think it is but like you say a PITA when it happens I now try and leave door slightly open if only going to the toilet.

This can happen unlocking with a fob, if the microswitch on the door lock is sticking and the the car does not see the door open so it locks after 30 seconds if it does not see the door open.
This is a security feature incase you accidentally unlock it without noticing.

You can see this feature by unlocking the van with the fob but don’t open a door, wait 30 seconds and it locks.

It might be worth checking the display can see the all doors open and close repeatedly.
Hi Loz,
Agreed but as you say it locks after 30 seconds. This has happened when I've opened the doors on the fob but not physically opened the door. Please remember in these instances I had not used the fob since the previous day. We'd been sat there for 10 minutes the first time it happened. Van centre plugged computer in but no logged faults, not happened since. As Toyah would say, It's a Mystery!

Hi HC, sorry to disagree but what you are saying above is incorrect. I have been locked out the same way as Sinbad and Volkswagen say it cannot happen and it is certainly not a standard design feature as suggested by GJ. Have you tried this on your van? My van spent two days in Liverpool Van Centre where they could not replicate the door locking or offer me any explanation whatsoever as to how this happened.

My dealer says it's normal that when locking the doors using the driversdoor button then pull open the sliding door , step outside , close the sliding door , you are locked out.
It does so on my 2012SE and on others but seems there's other Cali's on witch is diffrent then...
Do have to say my driversdoor and the button is on the left hand side of the Cali , maybe there's the diffrence;)
Anyway , if you don't want to spent the night outside in your pyjama , do use the door button or take a key with you:D

And if you want to get in and don't to break glass , the sliding window suppose to be the weak spot to force open as it's just two plastic pins , been told they break easy.
Or pull the roof canvas out it's base (if the roofs up)

Just stop drinking before going to bed! ;)

I always keep the key with me now, pain in the backside. This Surf Key hidden externally seems a good idea and I'll look into that.

Am I the only one who doesn't bother locking the van whilst we sleep?

Depends on where you stay , on campsite or free aires , stealth camping in the city ...

Depends on where you stay , on campsite or free aires , stealth camping in the city ...
True, campsites we don't bother, anywhere else and I would probably be uncomfortable with that.

No.
I do have a rather thick rubber bungee that fits from one front door to the other and we sleep downstairs. Rarely use dodgy Aires or inner city.

Or you could put your second key in one of these whilst you are
on a site. View attachment 37395

Sadly the scrotes can get into these easily with cordless cutter/grinders.
It is advertising a key in plain sight.............
I have secreted a surf key and only hope I can find it again if needed.