Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Automatic or Manual

Hi,
After much consideration it looks like we will be buying a California Ocean rather than a Mercedes Marco Polo. Decision now being second hand or new.

Just a quick question is there any benefit in getting the auto box rather than the manual?

There does seem to be a lot more autos but cannot say I’m bothered one way or other as long as it has cruise control. The dealership certainly reckoned I should go for the auto box. Then again I could save some money on a manual and get that nice two tone.

Decisions, decisions!
Personal choice,easier to drive auto more relaxing, unless it’s a Ferrari then a manual

We’re going to sell in a month or two, and it’s new and second hand, if you see what I mean (1800 miles) and dsg.
You’re welcome to come and give it a try if ya like

Andy
Hi Andy you mentioned selling your California
Could you pm me spec please .

Hi,
I have the 204 with ACC and DSG and currently touring Ireland in it. Just done over 1000 miles now on this trip and it is a really relaxing drive with DSG.
I hardly ever use the 'manual' option but I have found on a number of occasions it has been in the wrong gear when approaching a corner.
This results in coasting around the corner in 7th say rather than being in 5th or 6th and 'driving' it round.
I am sure there are ways round it (kick down or swapping to manual for example), but I am finding it a bit awkward at the moment.
Think either way you have made the right choice with the VW.

I hardly ever use the 'manual' option but I have found on a number of occasions it has been in the wrong gear when approaching a corner.
This results in coasting around the corner in 7th say rather than being in 5th or 6th and 'driving' it round.
I am sure there are ways round it (kick down or swapping to manual for example), but I am finding it a bit awkward at the moment.

You can have the best of both worlds.

We went from a T6 manual to T6 DSG with paddles on the MFSW. (This was when VW were caught short with emissions again and they withdrew manual transmissions for a while)

The combination of DSG for cruising and paddles for manual override is great.

The manual box is good, the DSG on it's own is ok (good for cruising but can be a bit slow), DSG with MSFW paddles is very good.

If they could get the DSG to be as good as
my GTE, then it would be excellent.

Hi,
I have the 204 with ACC and DSG and currently touring Ireland in it. Just done over 1000 miles now on this trip and it is a really relaxing drive with DSG.
Think either way you have made the right choice with the VW.

Try sticking it in Sport.

Mike

We had a T4 manual and 7 years ago upgraded to a T5 Cali with DSG. Wonderful, would never go back. My advice, go for the DSG

Very happy with my DSG.

We hired a manual Cali before buying and found the gearbox quite clunky and truck-like compared to normal car manual gearboxes.

With the DSG however it is easy to forget that you’re driving a van. Very smooth and responsive.

I agree with the comment above about the Sport mode - this does seem to improve the auto gear selection for driving around towns or country lanes.

Another thought.... with DSG you can rotate the drivers seat more easily because you don't have to put the handbrake on. Messing about with that blinking seat and a handbrake is not enjoyable!
It's actually quite a big benefit on reflection.

Another thought.... with DSG you can rotate the drivers seat more easily because you don't have to put the handbrake on. Messing about with that blinking seat and a handbrake is not enjoyable!

That’s very true. Although for some reason my wife still panics about the handbrake being off even when we’re parked up in a flat field with the gearbox in P.

One disadvantage of the DSG though is that fine manoevering is more difficult. For example when trying to edge up to the top of levelling ramps.

Not entirely true, if you're on ramps it can roll forwards/backwards slightly when releasing the handbrake until the transmission locks so it can still be a two man job turning the seat round.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Er, same with a manual. Leave in first or reverse

Er, same with a manual. Leave in first or reverse

Not quite. Being in manual only gives you engine compression to hold you. On an auto box, putting into P engages a very strong pawl in the GB that locks the whole transmission.

Not quite. Being in manual only gives you engine compression to hold you. On an auto box, putting into P engages a very strong pawl in the GB that locks the whole transmission.
Yes, but when the angle is very steep, the weight of the van will lock that pawl very hard, and then it might be near to impossible to get your lever out of P.

I
Yes, but when the angle is very steep, the weight of the van will lock that pawl very hard, and then it might be near to impossible to get your lever out of P.
Interesting that one....I have found recently a couple of times trying to come out of P when on the chocks can sometimes be quite difficult and results in a fairly disturbing clunk from gearbox/front end area. Wonder if its the same thing?

We've been informed in the past not to rely too much on that pawl (vwguru I think). It's no substitute for the handbrake.

I've never experienced that in 7 years with this van. Would you not have the similar problem with the handbrake due to the incline?

We've been informed in the past not to rely too much on that pawl (vwguru I think). It's no substitute for the handbrake.
Yes., maybe but many people do not use their handbrake with an automatic. In my case I would expect to apply it once the seat is turned.
I would say that there is as great, if different risk with a manual box, of struggling to turn the seat and releasing the handbrake in the process while forgetting to put it in gear. Happened to me once (stupidly), when I was learning what to do with a new van. Don’t park too near to me!

Not entirely true, if you're on ramps it can roll forwards/backwards slightly when releasing the handbrake until the transmission locks so it can still be a two man job turning the seat round.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yes, that rocking on ramps is true. We have not used them for a long time and I had forgotten that. We have grown used to sleeping head up (not too bad)or head down ( can being a rush of blood to the head) . Never sideways though, either Mrs DoH rolls onto me or me onto her (which she objects to but I quite like!) so we avoid that.
Yes, an additional arm would be useful with that seat through.

Hi Andy you mentioned selling your California
Could you pm me spec please .
I’m not a vip so claire has replied to you.
The van is now advertised on here and we’ll be happy to send any more info to you
Cheers
Andy

Back