Miles per gallon

• Thread starter heathensofmerica
  • Start date
heathensofmerica

heathensofmerica

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all had our 2.5 tdi 08 for around 6 months now. Getting an average on 30 miles per gallon, I feel like this is super low? Or is that about right?
We use it at everyday car too but not used daily as working from home mainly.

As many will say, its all relative to use as there's too many variables...

Had our 74 plate for 3 weeks now, and its her ladyships runaround (which are 4 short journeys back and forth to work every day and maybe a shopping run), along with two longer runs (circa 100 - 120 miles).
First tank fill has given us 32.8mpg - I'm good with that - on par with what the Volvo gave us.

30mpg average for a 2.5 litre turbocharged heavy box as an everyday vehicle? Sounds about right to me - you'll probably touch 40 on a run at a leisurely pace. If it's any consolation, our 2.0 150 around town is sub 30 mpg (rare it does such journeys, but when it does it's dire). You can't get away from the energy needed to move 2.5 tonnes around in stop-start traffic, it doesn't matter how efficient the engine is, the energy is needed.

My 2008 2.5 174 auto 2wd got down to avg 26mpg at 80mph with bikes on the back this summer. On a fixed speed 50mph stretch without bikes it can creep up to avg 34mpg, but that is rare.

A recentish round trip of 500 miles with a fully loaded van and family of 4 gave us just over 40mpg. T5.1 140. Very impressed.

Yep a blast up to Northumberland last week was >39mpg up and >40mpg back in a 180bitdi

My overall consumption is around 37mpg. I use it as a daily driver too.
Only commuting to and from work makes about 33mpg.
I made a few trips hitting 51mpg. Mainly highway, 105km/h, heavy wind in the back.
You have 1 cylinder more to feed, and it's an older (thirstier) engine, so a little less than mine is acceptable.

I get 30.8 MPG over 3.5k miles. 10-15% local trips.

Lots of motorway miles 70%. A Roads the balance at 15-20%.

I don’t drive with my hair on fire (tricky in a breeze block on wheels), pretty disappointed with the consumption.

Our long term average since getting the van in July 2023 is 37mpg. It only takes a time-pressed long journey against a headwind to really clobber the average mpg; 75mph into a 20mph headwind will see barely 30mpg (as the air resistance is likely doing nearly a ton!). I feel slightly better about it when I remind myself my previous vehicle, a 2.0 petrol Octavia, would struggle to match the Cali's economy figures in like for like situations.

2021 T6.1 150PS.
Average at 32.4mpg, mixed local mileages with some faster runs.
Worst average 19.7mpg, German Autobahn speeds (i.e. silly) followed by two days of Alpine switchbacks.
Best average 40.9mpg, French autoroutes at constant 100kph.

Hi all had our 2.5 tdi 08 for around 6 months now. Getting an average on 30 miles per gallon, I feel like this is super low? Or is that about right?

I think the lesson is our ancient engines are pretty bad on mpg.
But we will never have to change a cambelt or add Adblue. And of course the T5 is the best (once you’ve added a CarPlay headunit).

I also make myself feel better by paying 2.5 pence a mile for my daily commute in my 2018 BMW i3.

Love the 5 pot engine, but the Volvo's version rather than VAGs. Mine is a 2013 XC70 and that can achieve 50mpg + + 215hp

Love the 5 pot engine, but the Volvo's version rather than VAGs. Mine is a 2013 XC70 and that can achieve 50mpg + + 215hp
So now you are comparing a newer high station to a (model) 2003 California?
I have driven a petrol new A4 lately (for work), and achieved 53mpg at 125km/h.
So much better than my old diesel California at 105km/h.
But on the other hand, my newer California diesel has better economy than my Golf 2 1.6 petrol, who only achieved (combined) 36mpg.

So now you are comparing a newer high station to a (model) 2003 California?
I have driven a petrol new A4 lately (for work), and achieved 53mpg at 125km/h.
So much better than my old diesel California at 105km/h.
But on the other hand, my newer California diesel has better economy than my Golf 2 1.6 petrol, who only achieved (combined) 36mpg.
No....I'm comparing how some manufacturer's can make engines more efficent, particualrly over time. Even 3yrs lifespan in the Volvo P3 gave better fuel consumption, with all things being equal.

A good example of this is the 3l petrol engine in the BMW. I can achieve 36-37mpg on a run from a 295hp petrol engine in an AWD vehicle weighing 2.5 tonnes. I had the 3.0l engine in 3 vehicles over the last 20years and improvements are mind boggling

Okay, but you can only compare those engines in similar cars.
A bigger, less aerodynamic vehicle will make the same engine less economical.
So stating that a station 5 cylinder is more economical than a 5 cylinder van just doesn't make sense.
I could say my California is more economical than the T5 2.5 TDI, which it is. But mine is a 4 cylinder, so one cylinder less to feed, apart from the different type of injection (pumpe dose vs. common rail).
I get your point, but then you would have to compare the T5 2.5 TDI PD to a newer 2.5 TDI common rail, which, unlukily, doesn't exist at VW.

My 5 pot 174 gets 25 mpg around Glasgow and 40 touring elsewhere (scottish highlands, spain, portugal).
It's done about 110K miles.

Thats why I mentioned the BMW engine.

In a Z3 at 231hp and 1350kg = 23mpg
In a 6 series convertible at 265hp and 1850kg = 27mpg
In a X545e AWD at 295hp and 2540kg = 32mpg

We had a Caravelle GL 1994 5 pot for 28 years .. only sold it on (40k on the clock) 2 years ago .. the most glorious petrol version .. but 20 -25 mpg
Miss the sound
We bought it for my disabled brothers wheelchair..
anyway , got the Cali now

IMG_0543.jpeg

Ah... the old mpg debate again !!

Being a bit of a nerd...... I have a spreadsheet calculation for the mpg for a 150 hp California. This is based on my own observations starting with a base fuel consumption 55mpg at (indicated) 62mph. This is the best I have achieved !!

All other data is extrapolated from this .....
50mph = 83mpg, 60mph = 59mpg, 70mph = 43mpg, 80mph = 32mpg, 90mph = 24mpg

Crucially for the calculations to be meaningful it assumes a constant speed in top gear, with no hills, no gear changing, no accelerating or braking, no roofrack, and especially NO wind!

The slightest wind front or rear will make a big difference because of the large frontal area.

So in reality any fuel consumption depends on a lot of factors outside your control and is a bit meaningless without knowing these conditions.

For me - its only the long term data on the computer that is relevant.

Sounds about right for me too - did just tickle 40mpg once but 30-35 is usual. I calculated this to be around 17p per mile (but varies with fuel price of course)

We have a 2002. 2.5TDI Caravelle which we’ve had since new ( it’s only done 288k miles !) I’m told that the engine is well capable of running over 500,000 miles without any major issues! It regularly does 37/8 mpg: last week hubby took it down to Bristol and because of what he wanted to do with it he had taken the seats out(made it lighter) it did over 40mpg ! Checked by filling up to full . Possibly the best economy we’ve ever had, just make sure the rear calliper hand brake levers aren’t clogged up with road muck!

Hi
We have the same model on 06 plate on a run with a lightish foot we get 40mpg, I'm not sure for urban driving. Would not expect much more than 30 around town.

Can't compare apple to oranges so I'll just say that since getting my Cali T5 2.0 Biturbo about a month ago, it's showing mid 30s mpg. BUT, I have to ask how accurate the displayed figure are? In my experience on several different vehicles including motorcycles, these displays always seem to be around 3mpg optimistic.

We have an 07, T5 2.5tdi.
On a 'run', I have had over 49 mpg (according to onboard computer), loaded.
If we're 'tatting' about, ie local driving, lights, gear changes etc, then I reckon on or around 33-38 mpg (unloaded).

However, I owned an Alphard(3.0 Auto Petrol) before my Cali, and if I was 'really lucky', I might get 24mpg on a run.....
Around Town, be no more than 18mpg.....

Back