Moisture on inside of front windscreen

The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Has anyone else having moisture and frost problems on the inside of there front windscreen? I've got my Cali 14 plate booked in again at breeze (totton). Last time I took it in they blamed it on the replacement windscreen, as it wasn't the factory original. So I got it replaced thinking this would solve it but it hasn't! The moisture/frost can happen even when vehicle hasn't been used for a few days, water tank has been drained and sink is bone dry too.
They have now finally agreed to have it for a few days and dry it completely out and then do a water test on it.
Oh and control knob to raise roof etc is also faulty! Getting worried with all the problems as warranty runs out in august

.....Ventilation....
Even when not in use , sleeping ,coocking ....all this moist gets in the verhicle (seats , carpets,roof fabric ...and eventually it wil end up condensating somewhere.
When my Cali is not in use the sliding window is open a few inch.
Offcoares mine sits in my garage so no worry's there.
Have you tryed one of those dehumifiders?

Maybe once or twice over the winter but only if the temperature has taken a sudden dive. Make sure your heater is not on recirculating when you park up so there is a flow of air into the van overnight.

You could check the moisture content of the air with a hygrometer (usually included with those cheap weather station gadgets that pop up from time to time in Aldi or Lidl). You would need to compare it with the outside air, if there is a big difference then something is damp in your van. The one I have has a second sensor for outside and also shows the temperature and air pressure.

Has anyone else having moisture and frost problems on the inside of there front windscreen? I've got my Cali 14 plate booked in again at breeze (totton). Last time I took it in they blamed it on the replacement windscreen, as it wasn't the factory original. So I got it replaced thinking this would solve it but it hasn't! The moisture/frost can happen even when vehicle hasn't been used for a few days, water tank has been drained and sink is bone dry too.
They have now finally agreed to have it for a few days and dry it completely out and then do a water test on it.
Oh and control knob to raise roof etc is also faulty! Getting worried with all the problems as warranty runs out in august
Check under the front carpets, especially between the front seats. Water can collect there from windscreen leaks and leaking door seals. Also are the front and rear roof water drains clear.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/drain-holes-under-elevating-roof-location.4470/#post-163531

Will check roof drains tomorrow, just annoyed as vw aren't that helpful! My old 08 Cali never had a problem and I never drained the tank down on it. I had to insist on vw having another look as they didn't want too!

Yes got this on my 2011 cali. Van centre looked at it under warranty, as couldn't find fault it still does it. Inside of windscreen is covered in condensation now. Not good on a £45000 vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Will check roof drains tomorrow, just annoyed as vw aren't that helpful! My old 08 Cali never had a problem and I never drained the tank down on it. I had to insist on vw having another look as they didn't want too!
As it is under warranty might be worth getting a Dealership who " knows " the California.

Yes got this on my 2011 cali. Van centre looked at it under warranty, as couldn't find fault it still does it. Inside of windscreen is covered in condensation now. Not good on a £45000 vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I don't have this problem but I do have 2 disposable dehumidifier in the van and it is amazing how much they collect. I'm very keen on good ventilation when camping and as mine is a daily driver the AirCon is on all the time. We camp all year round.

I use mine all year round too, and use it the same way I used my much older Cali which never had this problem ever!
It's booked in for control knob and moisture problem in about two weeks, so will give them another chance to sort it. It is making me more tempted to upgrade to a t6 now

Had this problem tonight. Too much condensation on the front screen. Heated screen is a must

We've had this problem since new - my son also has a more recent T5 (not a camper) same issue. It seems the windscreen demister fan is not very effective - which doesn't help!

Worth checking that the side windows don't leak. I've had two replaced due to the drain holes not working and letting rain in. On the kitchen side it runs down into the cupboard and the waste water tank.

Mine was terrible over the Christmas holidays. One day the inside of the windscreen was frozen. Since then I have put a portable dehumidifier in there for 2 days, recharged a large bag of silica gell and also changed the cabin pollen filter. Also done 2 long trips where the auto climate control would have been on . Combination of these seems to have helped as last couple of mornings its been either clear or no different to my neighbors cars.

The time of the year and the weather now does not help .
When sleeping in the Cali roof down no ventilation it is normal .
Roof up gives more breeze out trough the roof vents
Remember the front windows are single glased so less isolated = quicker condensation
Outside thermoscreen does help a lot

When your Cali is not in use long time and condensate thats diffrent.

As said before....ventilate...
Just like in your home.

Also check your rear break light is not raining in. Minewas, now on third break light in 13 months.

New brake light replaced under warranty 6mths ago, that seem fine
The moisture problem is only when I'm using Cali as a daily drive, nothing to do with camping etc.
Have checked side window gutters and they are dry, next will be roof gutters and prob best to check for any roof rust too I guess.
I do love my Cali just annoyed it has move faults than my 08 one had

Do you use the aircon?

I always have this on all year round, that dehumidifies the van constantly every time it is used. Never had a condensation problem, apart from over night sleeping when we used an internal blackout blind. Now we use one on the outside.

Alan

If I was getting condensation to that degree on the screen I'd be concerned about it forming on the inside of the body panels and getting into the cavities. I know they are galvanised but that can crack over time and rust form.
Might be worth having a look under the sink to see what it's like at back of the cupboards.

Hi Alan

Yes use air con for first 5-10mins then switch it off, moisture problem hasn't happened for about a 4weeks.
Think it maybe the roof drains, van is booked in weds for that and replacement control knob.
So will update as soon as I get it back.

I know this might sound a bit obvious (apologies) but AC works a lot better removing moisture when not on re-circulation. Might be worth a check to see if it's off if you haven't considered this.

I had this problem and I don't believe I have a water leak. The windscreen is the obvious place to get condensation because the rear is double glazed. I found that ensuring the vents at each end of the dash were closed made quite a difference. I have no idea why! I also bought some large silica gel pouches. It's not perfect but a whole lot better

I have seen this problem on all Transporter models I owned (2x T5 van , 1xT6 cali) . When camping and sleeping in the vehicle it is logical because the coldest surface in the vehicle.
That's why I ordered cali with heated windshield and use external thermoscreen for windscreen and sidewindows on campsite , works really good in all seasons.

Update
My Cali has been in breeze for a week and a bit, and they have confirmed there is a problem. As they have finally seen the thick frost on the inside of windscreen. Roof drains not blocked, and there still investergating problem.
Roof/fridge controller was broke, and has been replaced under warranty. I'm wondering whether the moisture problem affected this.

Hi

Picked Cali up today, they found water getting in one drivers side door. All fixed under warranty.
Fingers crossed problem is now fixed, just need to wait for another freeze to see if it happens again.

There weee a couple of new t6 oceans getting fixed, dodgy fridge on one and a rusty roof on the other. So guess I new one has just as many problems!!!

Back