MY 21 VW Build Year

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Any new, and recent orders for T6.1 California's, will be built to MY21 specification.
MY21 PRODUCT CHANGES.
Dynamic Chassis Control no longer available.
DSG. No Sports Mode.
Digital Mapping now switchable to cockpit display. Previously only available on Discovery Media Pro.
Internal alarm can't now be disarmed from B pillar. Button deleted. Now switchable via Info-System or vehicle key.
No air-con cooling duct to glovebox.
Flyscreens now cost option.
Candy White paintwork price increase.
NEW Sports Package.
Includes:-
18" Back Springfield Alloy Wheels.
LED rear tail lights.
Front fog lights.
Privacy glass.
Underbody tray, front and rear.
(Details of Sports Package seem a little strange, as some of the listed items, are already standard on a California. Need confirmin. Sorry.)

That's helpful but just wondering what your source for this information is? Sounds like a VW bulletin or dealer comms?

I've seen VW updating the configurator over the last week to include the styling packages, they were named as internal codes (ZEX for sport styling for example) and it seems that they've finished the updates as they now have customer friendly names.

I'm trying to get a spec to a dealer for a quote and it's like a game of whack a mole with options.

The approach that VW seem to have taken with quite a few packs is to misrepresent what you're paying for as part of the pack. I had it with the premium seating package - I just wanted heated seats and they're standard in the Ocean 6.1 but when you deconstruct the pack, you're only paying for one or two extra things.

Dynamic chassis control is still listed as an option on the configurator as of this morning by the way.

My source was from two different dealers, direct from their internal information. Both dealers l respect for being knowledgeable on Californias. With regard to the configurator, over the years I've found it often to be out of date. They both didn't fully understand the Sports Package. I do remember previous packages including wheels were expensive.

No direct contact was made with VW UK to help ensure information was correct.

My source was from two different dealers, direct from their internal information. Both dealers l respect for being knowledgeable on Californias. With regard to the configurator, over the years I've found it often to be out of date. They both didn't fully understand the Sports Package. I do remember previous packages including wheels were expensive.

No direct contact was made with VW UK to help ensure information was correct.

The configurators are always a mess with Volkswagen, I know that from passenger car experience and customer service is also generally useless at VW unless you connect above call centre.

My local dealer is actually very knowledgeable and showed a depth of understanding of the product when I went to see him yesterday. He didn't mention any of the MY21 changes above so suspect he'll come back to me with details today as he was trying to figure out what the styling package elements were as well.

If I find anything useful out, I'll append to this thread.

Crikey, I just checked the new configurater and the list price of my van, which had a lot of options, appears to have increased approx £4.5k on the list price back in January............. VW are well at it....

Crikey, I just checked the new configurater and the list price of my van, which had a lot of options, appears to have increased approx £4.5k on the list price back in January............. VW are well at it....
It’s surprising how expensive these vans are becoming. I don’t like them much, but small good quality motorhomes seem to offer more for less money.

It’s surprising how expensive these vans are becoming. I don’t like them much, but small good quality motorhomes seem to offer more for less money.
If you want to drive around in a big white box.....surely the whole point of the California is the versatility, ease of parking and driveability, it is a way of life. Sure, you have to make some compromises but if you don't want to, as you say, larger motorhomes offer more in the way of space and facilities. We can all make our own choices and each of us will have our own priorities - mine happens to be the former.

VW are the only OEM producer and are clearly capitalising on heritage. All their marketing is lifestyle driven. I hadn't even thought about small motorhomes because they're ugly and don't seem to have evolved since 1950 in design respects.

I had a look at a 6.1 yesterday and was struck by how car like they're becoming. It's not just component sharing in VAG either. I guess it makes it less intimidating to someone who hasn't driven something like a van before and opens up the market. It also feels pretto retrograde to drive something like a car at half the price which has considerably more creature comforts and features to then go to a van which is fairly agricultural and primitive by comparison.

Given the price point, the marketing team at VW need a swift kick for how difficult and ambiguous they've made the buying process.

Capitalising on the increased demand

VW are the only OEM producer and are clearly capitalising on heritage. All their marketing is lifestyle driven. I hadn't even thought about small motorhomes because they're ugly and don't seem to have evolved since 1950 in design respects.

I had a look at a 6.1 yesterday and was struck by how car like they're becoming. It's not just component sharing in VAG either. I guess it makes it less intimidating to someone who hasn't driven something like a van before and opens up the market. It also feels pretto retrograde to drive something like a car at half the price which has considerably more creature comforts and features to then go to a van which is fairly agricultural and primitive by comparison.

Given the price point, the marketing team at VW need a swift kick for how difficult and ambiguous they've made the buying process.
Totally agree, the new configurator is a shambles.....thought the original one was bad but this update is beyond belief bad.....who on earth is in charge of this at VW, how can such a large company get it so wrong.....mindboggling

If you want to drive around in a big white box.....surely the whole point of the California is the versatility, ease of parking and driveability, it is a way of life. Sure, you have to make some compromises but if you don't want to, as you say, larger motorhomes offer more in the way of space and facilities. We can all make our own choices and each of us will have our own priorities - mine happens to be the former.
The VW product is great. I think that comparatively the value for money is becoming very questionable though.

some strange stuff on the config tool now - 2 suspension settings, with he description both the same, with one standard and 1 extra.....also what is a deleted bulkhead and how does it effect the van?...Looks like some of the packs have changed as well - side assist was 2 flavours previously with the lower spec of side assist included - now looks as though its optional/extra cost only: my question is, if you have a confirmed order placed in May and a Build week of end of July - what do you get shipped?

And the really really scary thing is that if they can be bothered to ask VWCC, they won't have a clue either.....you couldn't make this sh*t up !!

So the new MY21 specification for the 6.1 mentioned above makes the door fly screen a cost option but Shaun at VW Sheffield has said that the option is not even available until build dates much later in the year. Has anyone fitted an after sale fly screen to the 6.1? Shaun says that VW told him today that the fly screen that VW used for the T6 California version does not fit the new door to the 6.1. We travel in Scotland a lot so really need an effective fly screen.

Any new, and recent orders for T6.1 California's, will be built to MY21 specification.
MY21 PRODUCT CHANGES.
Dynamic Chassis Control no longer available.
DSG. No Sports Mode.
Digital Mapping now switchable to cockpit display. Previously only available on Discovery Media Pro.
Internal alarm can't now be disarmed from B pillar. Button deleted. Now switchable via Info-System or vehicle key.
No air-con cooling duct to glovebox.
Flyscreens now cost option.
Candy White paintwork price increase.
NEW Sports Package.
Includes:-
18" Back Springfield Alloy Wheels.
LED rear tail lights.
Front fog lights.
Privacy glass.
Underbody tray, front and rear.
(Details of Sports Package seem a little strange, as some of the listed items, are already standard on a California. Need confirmin. Sorry.)
Hi I've just checked the configurator - any idea why the following previously standard item has now been removed?

Double glazing in rear seat area (Privacy/Venus); heat-insulating glass (green) in front area

Thanks for posting this. This will certainly apply to us as it won't be until early in 2021 that we order a VW, if we do. However, living in Scotland... a flyscreen as an option would definitely be a must :)

Out of interest we were very surprised to hear we weren't getting a fly screen for our order which is being built in August. However having looked at the videos of the MaxxCamp fly screen we are now relaxed and think it is a really good solution.

Thanks for posting this. This will certainly apply to us as it won't be until early in 2021 that we order a VW, if we do. However, living in Scotland... a flyscreen as an option would definitely be a must :)
The fly screen is not midge proof by any means.

So the new MY21 specification for the 6.1 mentioned above makes the door fly screen a cost option but Shaun at VW Sheffield has said that the option is not even available until build dates much later in the year. Has anyone fitted an after sale fly screen to the 6.1? Shaun says that VW told him today that the fly screen that VW used for the T6 California version does not fit the new door to the 6.1. We travel in Scotland a lot so really need an effective fly screen.
There is no fly screen on the MY20 specification, not even as an option.

Yes, but I meant no OEM option. There are quite a few after market options.

I doubt VW make their own. The above company manufacturer make the expensive OEM rear mounted shower tent for VW.