Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nearly new T6 Ocean or New Coast??

I had the same dilemma and went for a delivery-mileage T6 Ocean with a spec we really like :

Outdoor Shower Connection
Awning in Black
Leather / Alcantara Seats
LED Headlamps
Leather Multi-function Sports Steering Wheel Discover Media Navigation Plus
17" Cascavel Alloy Wheels
Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat Heated Front Windscreen
Front & Rear Parking Sensors
4 Keys
Cruise Control
Interior Light Concept

It fitted the budget neatly!
The Coast is missing the full-opening in the front bellows. That was a factor that helped decide.

Last edited:
For the first time at the wknd I used the acc that comes standard on the 6.1 ocean
I definitely would never of specced it but it’s absolutely brilliant .amazed how it slows you down too :)
If I had the choice I’d probably go t6 ocean I do prefer the darker cupboards in the t6 ocean compared to the coast it has very light wood look like the very early SE California

A 150 DSG ocean is £8k more than a coast, out of the things that come on a Ocean as standard but are extra on a coast I would want as a minimum:
£270 roof front window
£370 Heated seats
£468 Digi Cockpit
£760 Interior lights package
£300 reversing camera
£1300 LED lights
£990 3 zone aircon
£350 privacy glass.
total £4808

If I was bothered about front Foglights £462 or discover media £ 1338 it would make the difference even less.

That doesn't take into account things like, you cant have a Sliding door opening window on a coast or double glazing & I would actually prefer an electric roof.

So for me it would be a no-brainer, Ocean please.

This would still be a good spec, I’d personally choose this over a T6

Coast:

£270 roof front window
£370 Heated seats
£300 reversing camera
£990 3 zone aircon
£350 privacy glass

T6 Ocean, I looked at the coast and just felt the Ocean was a better package. I also prefer the custom dash on the T6 compared to the standard van dash now fitted on the T6.1.

Just my personnel opinion and I can see the appeal of a manual roof especially if you want to keep your Cali for the long term.

OK, I really need to get back to work.

However, from scanning the doc again.

The Coast is spec'd like an old California from 2010-2015, you have to add some things people would consider essential, like:

Parking Sensors
Privacy Glass (not 100% sure what comes as standard)
Heated Seats (well for me at least)
Maybe AirCon, can't tell what's standard.
App Connect / CarPlay (I can't tell if CarPlay is standard, I wouldn't want to be without it)

To answer the OP's question if it was me I'd go for a brand new Coast over and above a second hand T6.

Don't forget to take out the extended 5 year warranty, it's a bargain!

Just one point: i think if you go for the heated seat option, the seats will then not swivel. (well, you should check that in any case,)

In terms of the overall question, there is no simple answer. I went for a T6 Coast with every option i wanted, (ACC, Full climate control, LED lights, three window full opening bellows, overnight heater, interior lights and shower, tinted windows, opening rear side windows on both sides, front and rear parking sensors, all season tyres, tow bar, fancy steering wheel with pointless flappy paddles i will never use) and it came out 6k euros cheaper than an Ocean. It meant i have a manual roof, single glazing, (but this looks better with the tinted windows and gives me a rear wash wipe and defroster) manual wing mirrors and door latches, a very basic sound system (i don't even have a touch screen but it has blue tooth which works well. I should have paid for a slightly better system, but i think that is standard on the Coast now anyway), i have black wing mirrors and less chrome and basic 17inch steel wheels (which i think look great).

intrestingly one option for better leisure batteries and alternator was cheaper on ocean than the coast, so i'm not sure if the ocean has slightly better leisure batteries as standard.

I don't think the resale value will be much different than an ocean would have been to be honest. indeed the manual roof on a five to ten year old cali might well be seen as a plus point.

Last edited:
back to the orginal question - i would go for the 6.1 coast I think, assuming it had everything you wanted.

In terms of the overall question, there is no simple answer. I went for a T6 Coast with every option i wanted, (ACC, Full climate control, LED lights, three window full opening bellows, overnight heater, interior lights and shower, tinted windows, opening rear side windows on both sides, front and rear parking sensors, all season tyres, tow bar, fancy steering wheel with pointless flappy paddles i will never use) and it came out 6k euros cheaper than an Ocean. It meant i have a manual roof, single glazing, (but this looks better with the tinted windows and gives me a rear wash wipe and defroster) manual wing mirrors and door latches, a very basic sound system (i don't even have a touch screen but it has blue tooth which works well. I should have paid for a slightly better system, but i think that is standard on the Coast now anyway), i have black wing mirrors and less chrome and basic 17inch steel wheels (which i think look great).

intrestingly one option for better leisure batteries and alternator was cheaper on ocean than the coast, so i'm not sure if the ocean has slightly better leisure batteries as standard.

I don't think the resale value will be much different than an ocean would have been to be honest. indeed the manual roof on a five to ten year old cali might well be seen as a plus point.

Interesting to hear from an actual owner :) Didn’t realise about the mirrors and the single glazed windows.

€6k is a big saving!

This was for the T6 in Belgium, so before the T6.1 Coast existed in the UK, so all these considerations might be different now!

The point is that there are a few things to consider. Firstly you need to look at the options you want, that you can spec on a Coast, to bring it almost to Ocean spec, with whatever options you have added to that, then compare the prices. Then you look at the difference and see if the extra bits and bobs that are with the ocean are things you want and/or are worth the extra.

Then you have to note the things which are different that you cannot Spec on a Coast. (like the interior color and the chrome bits)

You really need a very good sales person to work with, who properly knows and understands all the detailed differences between the coast and ocean. I ended up knowing much more than my sales chap here in Brussels, just by properly studying the online tool (with two computers open checking and unchecking boxes, looking at option price differences etc).

Personally I don't have a problem with the 'manual' stuff on my Coast. The roof is a no-brainer for me. I unclip it and give it a little push, and it pops up 'automatically', so it actually goes up quicker than an automatic one. To bring it down i grab it and pull it down. The sliding door with no auto-latch is a bit of a beast to slam shut, but that reminds me of my old T2. I miss the automatic colour-coordinated wing-mirrors from my old multivan, but then when i knocked my wing mirror off recently it was rather nice to be able to repair them myself for €7 rather than needing hundreds of euros of colour matched motorised parts!

My van looks mint, and basically has all the bells and whistles. You wouldn't know it wasn't an Ocean to be honest.

I would love an ocean too. They are basically the same thing, with different slightly confusing overlapping spec sheets.

My absolute favorite option? My colour matched dash!!

1592381203725.png

1592381176226.png

Last edited:
This was for the T6 in Belgium, so before the T6.1 Coast existed in the UK, so all these considerations might be different now!

The point is that there are a few things to consider. Firstly you need to look at the options you want, that you can spec on a Coast, to bring it almost to Ocean spec, with whatever options you have added to that, then compare the prices. Then you look at the difference and see if the extra bits and bobs that are with the ocean are things you want and/or are worth the extra.

Then you have to note the things which are different that you cannot Spec on a Coast. (like the interior color and the chrome bits)

You really need a very good sales person to work with, who properly knows and understands all the detailed differences between the coast and ocean. I ended up knowing much more than my sales chap here in Brussels, just by properly studying the online tool (with two computers open checking and unchecking boxes, looking at option price differences etc).
To be fair, i've run circles around every dealer i've come across in regards to knowledge, with the exception of the Breeze Poole guys here in the UK. Cali's are sold from the commercial dealers here in the UK, and ultimately that means their knowledge focuses primarily on the commercial vehicles, rather than the intricate details of the Cali.

To be fair, i've run circles around every dealer i've come across in regards to knowledge, with the exception of the Breeze Poole guys here in the UK. Cali's are sold from the commercial dealers here in the UK, and ultimately that means their knowledge focuses primarily on the commercial vehicles, rather than the intricate details of the Cali.
Hi kallista, Cali Chris & John Mason at Liverpool are well clued up and very helpful.

Factor in the luxury car tax that will probably apply to the T6, and a brand new T6.1 Ocean will not be much more.
Please could you explain what this luxury car tax will be out of interest - thanks

Please could you explain what this luxury car tax will be out of interest - thanks
Currently the California is classified as a Private Light Goods Vehicle so this "luxury car tax" does not apply. However up until March this year it was a "car" and because it's list price was over £40k then you pay an additional £300 ish for the first 5 years.

Currently the California is classified as a Private Light Goods Vehicle so this "luxury car tax" does not apply. However up until March this year it was a "car" and because it's list price was over £40k then you pay an additional £300 ish for the first 5 years.
£475 a year for 5 years after the first year of £1800 which should have been paid if the Cali has been taxed.

£475 a year for 5 years after the first year of £1800 which should have been paid if the Cali has been taxed.
Is strange luxury tax is pay regular Califorinia.
Grand ( more luxury ? ) Califorinia is only pay £165 - is no extra luxury tax such bigger machine.

Is strange luxury tax is pay regular Califorinia.
Grand ( more luxury ? ) Califorinia is only pay £165 - is no extra luxury tax such bigger machine.
It all changed when Motor Homes (big whites) were to be treated the same as cars, ie, over £40K list price (not what is paid as a discount to below £40K didn't avoid it).
The Motor Home Industry got organised and put up a case for loss of business/sales which resulting in a Gov. backtrack but not guaranteed to be a permanent decision.
A potential cashcow waiting to be milked.

Back