Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New batteries discharge

Martyn 4950

Martyn 4950

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I recently changed both leisure batteries due to their age and diminishing performance. I didnt go to VW dealer due to cost implications. I went to a recommended camper van battery dealer, purchased the new batteries and they were fitted. I use my van as a everyday vehicle. I noticed the other day that the battery was down to 10% charge.
I have on occasion put van on charge for 15 hours ish overnight but as soon as i take away the 240 v cable I can see the battery drain within a couple of minutes
I will take the van in to the workshop next week but can anyone give me any indications what and how this happens as Im not fully conversant with electrics ...in fact ive no idea at all

Thanks

Martyn

That sounds like they’ve used lead acid (Ph) batteries and not filled them, or they’ve not been fitted correctly, maybe wiring hasn’t been reconnected correctly, either or, get on the blower and have them rectify the problem.

Thanks....I dont suppose there could be an inherent problem with the van they may try and hit me with ?

If everything worked well before, and the problems started after the replacement, then it has to do with the replacement.

If, however, the original batteries were suffering the same, and you just replaced the batteries because you thought it were the batteries being dead, then there is a problem with the van in the first place.

I can't tell because I don't know why you really replaced the batteries?
Did you experience the same problem before, and then decided to replace the batteries? Or did this problem occur after the replacement?

Hi Triple Bee....The van is 6 years old and I replaced the original batteries as i was led to believe that they only have a certain shelf life and they were not as efficient as they used to be.

The new batteries discharge within 2 mins

Hi Triple Bee....The van is 6 years old and I replaced the original batteries as i was led to believe that they only have a certain shelf life and they were not as efficient as they used to be.

If discharging that quickly then it is a wonder you still have a vehicle.
How do you know they have Discharged so quickly?
If you are using the Control Panel % as an indication, have you switched Off the Control Panel using the L lower button. Wait 30 secs or more and then switch On using the L lower button. What’s the % reading now?

When i have connected to 240 v to charge up it can read 90%....then i see it drop 80- 70 -60.....usually to 10% very quickly

I have switched control panel off and on like you said and the reading is the same ie 0%

Regarding your opening sentence why are you surprised i still have a vehicle....youve got me worried now

What type of batteries did they use as a replacement?

Well, mine is over 9 years old, and I am still running on the original factory installed ones.

Maybe they connected the batteries the wrong way? Maybe they are used to install in other motorhomes, not having the knowledge of how they need to be installed in a California? Maybe they thought the factory installation was not how they usually do it, and have put some wires the wrong way?

It may be a good idea to isolate the 2 batteries then charge them independently. If you have a volt meter put that on and you will see if it’s the van that has the problem or it’s the new batteries by how fast they discharge while not connected....

When i have connected to 240 v to charge up it can read 90%....then i see it drop 80- 70 -60.....usually to 10% very quickly

I have switched control panel off and on like you said and the reading is the same ie 0%

Regarding your opening sentence why are you surprised i still have a vehicle....youve got me worried now
150 amps being discharged that quickly? A lot of heat if that is what is happening and certainly not what the circuitry was made for.
So, something is amiss.
Now, was this happening before the Battery change?
Or only after?

ami correct in thinking that if they are 100% discharged then they are ruined ?

Lots of people forget to keep the batteries topped up but it doesn’t mean they are knackered if they go flat. If you think about it lots of people take their leisure battery right down to the absolute limit before they getting hooked up to the mains especially when wild camping.

Thanks Peter....these batteries were 5 months old....they shouldn't need topping up should they ?

Thanks Peter....these batteries were 5 months old....they shouldn't need topping up should they ?
According to the VW California Booklet you should give your batteries a top up for 12 or 24 hours every month. Thats of course if you are not using it every day to go to work, but even then if you are only doing short distances they still need topping up...

According to the VW California Booklet you should give your batteries a top up for 12 or 24 hours every month. Thats of course if you are not using it every day to go to work, but even then if you are only doing short distances they still need topping up...
Yes...I always comply with these recommendations

Have you tried a voltage reading from the actual batteries, it could be incorrect display due to earth shunt or earth problem.

That's not right I'm afraid. The advice is to charge them as you say irrespective of how much the van is being used. The alternator is a dumb charge, and doesn't fully charge or condition the batteries properly. Only the mains can do that via the much more sophisticated built in charger.

That's not right I'm afraid. The advice is to charge them as you say irrespective of how much the van is being used. The alternator is a dumb charge, and doesn't fully charge or condition the batteries properly. Only the mains can do that via the much more sophisticated built in charger.
Yes but that what I said. If you were doing 50 miles to work and back the same as if you were travelling on holiday my batteries stay full without a mains charge. BUT most people don’t do high mileages every day.

Yes but that what I said. If you were doing 50 miles to work and back the same as if you were travelling on holiday my batteries stay full without a mains charge. BUT most people don’t do high mileages every day.
What you actually said was "that's if you are NOT using it every day".
Even if you are driving 300 miles a day, you should still condition your batteries using the mains.

To use that much battery power so quickly, you've either got one of Amarillos 12v Kettles plugged in or as others have said its an earthing problem with the display so giving an incorrect reading.

If there was a short circuit you would have seen the flames by now.

I recently changed both leisure batteries due to their age and diminishing performance. I didnt go to VW dealer due to cost implications. I went to a recommended camper van battery dealer, purchased the new batteries and they were fitted.
Hi Martyn,

Do you know the make/model of the replacement batteries that they installed? As others have said they could be the wrong type.

I'd find out if the replacement batteries are suitable as leisure batteries and if so, I'd take it back to the dealer to sort.

Something is amiss and they should rectify it.

The true measure of whether they are full is about 24 hours after without any draw, but a rough guide is an hour after disconnecting the charger or stopping driving.

Take a multimeter and measure right on the batteries. Connected and disconnected.
If the multimeter shows a fair amount of voltage drop: 12,3V or less, it's the battery (ies). If the multimeter shows 12,5 and above, then its false reading on the display.