Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The demise of diesel!

I was at a dinner the other day, 30 folks, equal mix of genders, most of the gold on display was around the necks and wrists of the blokes. My plain watch looked quite diminutive compared to the Omega Seamasters and Rolex's being flashed around and my demure thin chain was nothing compared to the gold drag chains most blokes seemed festooned with!
That's absurd. Personal adornment has never been a male thing.

1629985671094.png

A bit sexist that :D

I was at a dinner the other day, 30 folks, equal mix of genders, most of the gold on display was around the necks and wrists of the blokes. My plain watch looked quite diminutive compared to the Omega Seamasters and Rolex's being flashed around and my demure thin chain was nothing compared to the gold drag chains most blokes seemed festooned with!
So many questions... what kind of party was this? How keen are your eyes to notice the makes and models of the watches? Why would anyone flash an Omega around? :D

So many questions... what kind of party was this? How keen are your eyes to notice the makes and models of the watches? Why would anyone flash an Omega around? :D

Probably because a gold seamaster is a chunky bit of bling, chunkier than a Rolex, and I noticed because we used to have a seamaster in the family. There were two on display, worn by gentlemen who must have done rather well for themselves since leaving the Royal Navy.

True and I certainly support the sentiment. However...

Climate science is a massively complex field (I know, I first studied it as an environmental science student in the early '80s). To accept the theory of anthropogenic CC - including comprehending what scientists mean by a theory - demands at least a basic appreciation of how science 'is done' and how scientific knowledge evolves. Otherwise we're expecting people to have blind faith in the methods and to just 'trust the experts'. That does in my view require some education in the rudiments of scientific methods, which can of course be self-education.

Common sense is an elusive thing but the particular trouble in regard to climate policy is that CC is a classic 'wicked problem' - ie one where there's not even agreement about what the problem actually is (a technical issue to be solved, or rooted in over-population, or about global inequalities and inequities, or "yes a big problem but not in the short term the biggest threat to people's welfare") and therefore how you approach it. Common sense only takes you so far, and it's why CC-related debates can be so agonising, whether with 'educated' people or not.
Good points.

I see it as a simple sequence of events:

Step 1) Explain to the nation your policies in a way everyone understands
Step 2) Get voted in
Step 3) Support super bright people to research amazing new ways of understanding and solving the problems we have
Step 4) Support those developments with law changes, tax incentives, funding
Step 5) Enjoy the result

Thoughts?

Good points.

Step 2) Get voted in
Step 3) Support super bright people to research amazing new ways of understanding and solving the problems we have
Step 5) Enjoy the result

Thoughts?
Is there room for us in your world? :)

Good points.

Step 2) Get voted in
Step 5) Enjoy the result

Thoughts?
Hahahahahahahaha.

As I read somewhere recently, we are 21st-century citizens, trying to communicate with 20th-century institutions that are underpinned by 19th-century processes and ideas. Having political parties as the nexus - and choke point - of all thinking and policy seems to me to be a big part of the problem. I don't know what a viable alternative looks like but I'm not sure that the 'top down-ness' of your five-step model (tongue in cheek as it is, I know) is the answer.

:sad :confused:

Hahahahahahahaha.

As I read somewhere recently, we are 21st-century citizens, trying to communicate with 20th-century institutions that are underpinned by 19th-century processes and ideas. Having political parties as the nexus - and choke point - of all thinking and policy seems to me to be a big part of the problem. I don't know what a viable alternative looks like but I'm not sure that the 'top down-ness' of your five-step model (tongue in cheek as it is, I know) is the answer.

:sad :confused:
But but but... its so simple !

At least I got one laugh

There's your problem.

The pandemic has demonstrated that governments select "closed groups" of experts that comply with their narrative and suits the outcome they want. Effectively the one that delivers the most favourable political gain.

Very rarely do governments act in the national interest and I think you'll find that you'll have some "experts" working to deliver solutions - they'll just have to work within the constraints imposed on them.

A load of yes men (or women) is not the answer.

There's your problem.

The pandemic has demonstrated that governments select "closed groups" of experts that comply with their narrative and suits the outcome they want. Effectively the one that delivers the most favourable political gain.

Very rarely do governments act in the national interest and I think you'll find that you'll have some "experts" working to deliver solutions - they'll just have to work within the constraints imposed on them.

A load of yes men (or women) is not the answer.
Important to note I think that governments don't (always) deliberately choose yes-people as their advisers. In fact they may genuinely think they're "following the science". But bounded rationality, innit. In the end, all analysis is political because it starts with a socially-deterministic framing of the problem (Dad, Velma's, 2021. "Wicked problems in VW California Ownership").

Way too much coffee today, I know.

if i invented an engine that ran on water i reckon the plans would be bought up by elon musk and thrown in the bin

if i invented an engine that ran on water i reckon the plans would be bought up by elon musk and thrown in the bin
Or you'd go the way of Rudolf Diesel himself...

Or you'd go the way of Rudolf Diesel himself...

It's literally the demise of diesel, how does this work, do I win something?

So many questions... what kind of party was this?:D

It was a dinner given by a prominent military history establishment to thank all their well-heeled patrons, and of course to try and extract even more dosh from them.

I am not a well-heeled patron, just someone awarded with lifetime membership after giving 15 years of voluntary service to them, including organising research programmes though the IHR, being a historian interactor with the public on HMS Belfast and the Churchill war rooms and. best of all, post retirement travelling to France and Belgium to help with centenary events of 1914-1918. All expenses paid to trundle around in a Cali, what could be better!!

Last edited:
Pray tell, or did I miss the explained thread?

A plan hatched out in lockdown. So many family groups wanting to borrow my Cali, and even more wanting to borrow something a bit bigger. I also fancied from time to time something a bit bigger so the solution was a family cooperative utilising two vehicles, my Cali and a Hymer Ayers Rock. In return for me funding the project the caveat was that the Cali was always on my drive except when I was using the AR.

It all went pear-shaped when post lockdown a return to some normality created indecision upon indecision, I was days away from collecting the AR and faced with two campers on my drive when a dealer popped up and offered me a ridiculous amount of instant cash to put the Cali on his drive.

It now means that for the purposes desired I can have a much more suitable Beach camper 5 seater to arrive next spring/summer some time. In the meantime I'm having a ball with the AR and my siblings, in-law siblings, nieces, nephews, grand nephews and in-laws of my son can all put their bookings in with some semblance of order.

It was a dinner given by a prominent military history establishment to thank all their well-heeled patrons, and of course to try and extract even more dosh from them.

I am not a well-heeled patron, just someone awarded with lifetime membership after giving 15 years of voluntary service to them, including organising research programmes though the IHR, being a historian interactor with the public on HMS Belfast and the Churchill war rooms and. best of all, post retirement travelling to France and Belgium to help with centenary events of 1914-1918. All expenses paid to trundle around in a Cali, what could be better!!
Sounds fantastic to be involved in !

Important to note I think that governments don't (always) deliberately choose yes-people as their advisers. In fact they may genuinely think they're "following the science". But bounded rationality, innit. In the end, all analysis is political because it starts with a socially-deterministic framing of the problem (Dad, Velma's, 2021. "Wicked problems in VW California Ownership").

Way too much coffee today, I know.
They tend to have selective hearing
https://news.sky.com/story/professo...-says-alcohol-is-most-dangerous-drug-11909379

A bit sexist that :D

Blimey, what was this, a Jimmy Savile night?

Back