Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The demise of diesel!

I can't grow pie chips and gravy mate
Pie no (unless you raise some cattle)
Gravy no.
But chips yes - they come from potatoes you know :)

our local farm shop does amazing steak and kidney pies. Can’t beat it with some allotment potatoes and a medley of home grown veg’.

Glut of Sweetcorn at the moment.

0A50B2A5-07D6-4C38-8C1D-17D9DE5093D1.jpeg

6EFB3537-B2B8-43C8-AA0B-E731DBF67559.jpeg
What insult?
You like Google. So you might be sponsored.
I don’t consider those insulting terms.
Just because you don’t get your own way there is no need to be insulting, but probably to be expected.

I have examined Google Maps in depth, as far as I can, and there is no way to programme it to select a random route with minimal waiting time, maximal speed and maximal distance within a defined time period using scheduled bus services. Those are the parameters he used.
If you disagree with his methodology then I suggest you get in contact with him. I’m sure the BBC will forward any communication you might like to 6EFB3537-B2B8-43C8-AA0B-E731DBF67559.jpegsend to Mr Jo Kibble regarding Google’s abilities.
Pathetic. I’d say it was senior slump except we’re almost the same age.

Over the years you have posted a lot of helpful information, but you have also posted info which is clearly false (Cali roof exactly the same height as a Multivan, no covid lockdown enforcement necessary, 180 catastrophic failure ended with 2011, i.e.). You don't tolerate being corrected, and use your privileged position on the Forum to abuse those who you think are less knowledgable than you. In the end you are responsible for making the Forum unwelcoming to new members, which the Forum (and all of us) need in order to continue this amazing adventure.

Last edited:
View attachment 83593

Pathetic. I’d say it was senior slump except we’re almost the same age.

Over the years you have posted a lot of helpful information, but you have also posted info which is clearly false (Cali roof exactly the same height as a Multivan, no covid lockdown enforcement necessary, 180 catastrophic failure ended in 2011, i.e.). You don't tolerate being corrected, and use your privileged position on the Forum to abuse those who you think are less knowledgable than you. In the end you are responsible for making the Forum unwelcoming to new members, which the Forum (and all of us) need in order to continue this amazing adventure.
Once again untruthful in your comments..
I am more than happy to be corrected, when a correction is required.
1. California T5.1 is the same height as the Transporter, I've proven it to my satisfaction.
2.The 180 debacle in 2010/2011 is confirmed by VW but subsequent problems with SOME 180's is not proven beyond reasonable doubt as proven by my 2014 now exceeding 100,000 miles with an oil consumption less than 250mls/20,000 miles, on original EGR.
3.As far as Covid 19 is concerned - blame the virus as I was not alone in changing my mind as things evolved but we didn't have armed police roaming the street and were still allowed to take outdoor exercise , nor have we had to fill to forms to leave the house or have nighttime curfews.
I have no privileged position on the Forum , just the same as you, but you seem to enjoy trolling people you disagree with you.
As, on this thread , minimal useful information or comment. Do enjoy your walk, hope you are now fully vaccinated and don't go too near the edge you might fall . Have fun.

Last edited:
What insult?
You like Google. So you might be sponsored.
I don’t consider those insulting terms.
Just because you don’t get your own way there is no need to be insulting, but probably to be expected.
You were obviously intending to be insulting. Grow up for god's sake, or at least own your own behaviour.

You were obviously intending to be insulting. Grow up for god's sake, or at least own your own behaviour.
Not at all. I don't see how saying someone likes Google and is constantly promoting it to do something it cannot do and so they could be sponsored by Google to promote it is insulting? Unless , of course, you consider Google to have been spawned by the Devil himself, in which case I humbly apologise to the Poster and Yourself, because I didn't know that. I thought it was an American Tech company.

Just back from 4 days camping at Cadwell Park for the BSB race weekend where hundreds of people/families gather in their (mostly) diesel powered vehicles, many with petrol powered generators (to power their beer fridges or whatever) all cooking on BBQs or Camping Gaz, to watch other, mostly petrol powered vehicles drive pointlessly round in circles. How long can this be allowed? Forever, I hope. :Stig

Meanwhile, google spats aside, the planet is in the beginnings of being uninhabitable for humans.

We can all do something as individuals, it will require governments to make serious change, western democracies do not hang on to governments long enough to make them truly responsible to their promises and it's beginning to look as if one rather major western government has a president who can't remember what those promises are anyway.

Is this as depressing as it sounds?

With my Leeds climate change citizens jury member hat on, no. With my motorsport loving hat on, yes, it is.

Meanwhile, google spats aside, the planet is in the beginnings of being uninhabitable for humans.

We can all do something as individuals, it will require governments to make serious change, western democracies do not hang on to governments long enough to make them truly responsible to their promises and it's beginning to look as if one rather major western government has a president who can't remember what those promises are anyway.

Exactly, 4

Exactly @GrannyJen , just 4 years in power, with 3 out of the 4 years focused on getting re-elected!

Long term complex problem needs a long term complex solution with joined up thinking.

We can do our individual bit, and I do believe the campervan crew are already part of the solution by enjoying the great outdoors! Likely to have a vested interest in protecting what they love, and would be the first onboard for whatever changes we can do.

It is but it is a pragmatic assumption. No one in a country with a Democratically elected government is going to vote for a "Sackcloth and Ashes" government until it is too late. The wealthy elite can make changes because they can afford to, Joe Bloggs cannot and he will just vote out a government that tries to lower his standard of living in favour of one that doesn't.
The planet will survive, the human race will survive but not as we know it.
Science might have the answer, who knows.

It’s a sobering thought that Venus was probably once habitable but something, probably volcanic activity, tipped its climate into the totally uninhabitable world it is today. If that happened to the earth nothing would survive.

after watching aussie gold hunters i also think it's about time we stopped wrecking the environment using diesel engines to mine fine gold all just for women to wear around their necks and wrists. i would prefer the gold was at least used in electronics

after watching aussie gold hunters i also think it's about time we stopped wrecking the environment using diesel engines to mine fine gold all just for women to wear around their necks and wrists. i would prefer the gold was at least used in electronics
What's your view then on using diesel and coal to mine neodymium, and cause extensive planetary damage, for high efficiency electric motors ?

What's your view then on using diesel and coal to mine neodymium, and cause extensive planetary damage, for high efficiency electric motors ?
i've already mentioned that earlier on mate. my view is its wrong and not the way forward. cobalt mines in the congo aren't exactly safety first either

Also common sense and the ability to reason isn't the sole province of the "educated" either.
True and I certainly support the sentiment. However...

Climate science is a massively complex field (I know, I first studied it as an environmental science student in the early '80s). To accept the theory of anthropogenic CC - including comprehending what scientists mean by a theory - demands at least a basic appreciation of how science 'is done' and how scientific knowledge evolves. Otherwise we're expecting people to have blind faith in the methods and to just 'trust the experts'. That does in my view require some education in the rudiments of scientific methods, which can of course be self-education.

Common sense is an elusive thing but the particular trouble in regard to climate policy is that CC is a classic 'wicked problem' - ie one where there's not even agreement about what the problem actually is (a technical issue to be solved, or rooted in over-population, or about global inequalities and inequities, or "yes a big problem but not in the short term the biggest threat to people's welfare") and therefore how you approach it. Common sense only takes you so far, and it's why CC-related debates can be so agonising, whether with 'educated' people or not.

I thought similarly to you. The way we humans are trashing the natural environment, and often for no really good reason, l'm finding increasingly depressing. Then l run a 204 4Mo Cali, perhaps l should consider something with a 102 bhp engine. Looks like it's going to be a conversion not a Cali in the future.

I thought similarly to you. The way we humans are trashing the natural environment, and often for no really good reason, l'm finding increasingly depressing. Then l run a 204 4Mo Cali, perhaps l should consider something with a 102 bhp engine. Looks like it's going to be a conversion not a Cali in the future.
steady on love, things aren't that bad

A bit sexist that :D

I was at a dinner the other day, 30 folks, equal mix of genders, most of the gold on display was around the necks and wrists of the blokes. My plain watch looked quite diminutive compared to the Omega Seamasters and Rolex's being flashed around and my demure thin chain was nothing compared to the gold drag chains most blokes seemed festooned with!

After 204 4 mo ocean my next will be a 150 beach camper.

A bit sexist that :D

I was at a dinner the other day, 30 folks, equal mix of genders, most of the gold on display was around the necks and wrists of the blokes. My plain watch looked quite diminutive compared to the Omega Seamasters and Rolex's being flashed around and my demure thin chain was nothing compared to the gold drag chains most blokes seemed festooned with!
sorry, i stand corrected, i should have said women and posers

Back