Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New mountain bike advise

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi having damaged my back 18 months ago I've been told I can now cycle.
My current, or old (probably15 years old) bike has definitely seen better days. Had a look to see what was available today, looks like I have to spend around £300 as a minimum to get a reasonable mountain bike.
I need front suspension & sprung seat post. Would like disc brakes (are hydraulic worth getting).
Can any one offer any advise ? What MTB do others have ?

Andy,

If you're not planning to off-road, I would advise that you go for a hybrid. MTB riding position but less weight and tyres with less rolling resistance. They're still good for most made up tracks that you are likely to encounter; just not throwing yourself off the side of a mountain!

I've got a Specialized Hardrock Pro that you can have a go on if you like. My first bike with discs (hydraulic) they're brilliant but I would imagine the cable operated ones are just as good. Front forks with 'lockout' may be worth looking for. When the going is smooth, you can lockout the front suspension meaning your effort on the pedals isn't just converted into the front end going up and down! My forks end up locked out most of the time (even with a still dodgy wrist that I smashed to pieces a few gets back) on my next bike, I won't bother with front suspension - I don't do anything extreme enough to justify it - my arms suspend the rest of me pretty well!

My bike came from Phil Corley cycles (near Stacey Bushes). Lots of guys from work have bikes from there too. They come very highly recommended!

Hi Mark

Looked in Phil Corley cycles yesterday, most of their cycles are well above my £ .... £1000 +++
Have also looked at some on Ebay, nearly new seem to go for silly money considering you get no warranty ! Don't see any point getting one that is a few years old.

Out cycling with my mother & niece today & will have further look in Phil Corley cycles later.

Have a look at some of the big shops on-line. Evans, JE James, Leisure Lakes, Rutland Cycles, Cycle Surgery, Wiggle, Chainreaction etc. A good time to buy is late summer when 2013 bikes will start coming out. The shops will sell this years bikes at big reductions.
I would say with a MTB you can fit slick tyres, pump them up to 100psi and belts along on the road.
With a hybrid you can't go off road.

You can get something perfectly useable for that money - just keep it very simple or you'll get a hateful lump that weighs a tonne and breaks.

Do you definitely need an MTB? As Cali man says, it might be worth going for a rugged hybrid (close to an MTB - some are more like adapted road bikes) with semi off road tyres - it will be easier on tarmac and more user friendly,

Disk brakes are good but at the bottom end of the market, they can be troublesome - hard to tune, complex and heavy. Worth looking for a bike with V brakes which work perfectly well and are much easier to maintain. And forks too - they'll work with suspension but will be heavy and clunky. Consider rigid forks.

These are all decent bikes made by proper manufacturers:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec023959

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec025529

And for an MTBs:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec030763

Thanks for your replies guys.

A good time to buy is late summer
Yes I have been told that but can't wait that long.

You can get something perfectly useable for that money - just keep it very simple or you'll get a hateful lump that weighs a tonne and breaks.
I've gone off that idea for that sort of reason. Have found a few used late Specialized Rockhopper & Hardrock & the odd Trek up to £500 which seems a better idea.

Also have to get a VW bike rack, put old bike in back of cali yesterday & I'm not doing that again too much scope for scratching or damaging cali.

£500 gets you a pretty decent MTB. Plenty around for that budget.

I night ride every week and take my MTB in the back of the Cali - bench seat totally forwards, boot lined with a tarp, bike diagonally forwards (front wheel just protruding through the small gap behind the bench seat). Thule roofstrap securing the seatpost (I fasten it to the back of the nearside rear headrest) and towels padding every contact point.

We then ride 15-20 miles in the muddiest of conditions and the bike comes back - if there was any risk of the Cali being damaged, I wouldn't do it! But then it's only good for one person MTBing - two bikes wouldn't fit in this way.

I think my bike is now worth about £3k but I do like my MTBing (and have done the odd race). I'm a sucker for bike bling! :oops: :oops: Or possibly just a mug... :lol:

Thanks to everyone for their advise / suggestions.

I bought an 8 week old Spacialized Rockhopper from ebay. Going down to Bridgwater to collect it tomorrow.
Collecting a bike rack from local Van Centre, £451, on the way.

Now need to do a lot of overtime to pay for them both !!

Good news andy. Your Cali will look better for the bike rack. :thumb Take it easy on the new bike :rofl

Collected bike from Bridgwater yesterday & spent the night at Curry Pool Mill campsite http://www.currypoolmill.co.uk They have restored the water wheel & now use it to power a generater. Great little site on a farm near Quantok hills. Will use it again if need arises.

Not had much of a ride on the bike as I have no energy due to 'flue' like symptoms !! Going to be a struggle at work tomorrow !

Thanks for all the comments.

Typically I another Rockhopper that I was watching on Ebay whent for £460 & is 1 week old !! Sods law. But I'm happy with mine.

How's the van look now with the rack on andy :?: better I bet :thumb

Kev, the view in the rear-view mirror now looks like one of those supercars with the grills across the window !
Definitely different. I can only just reach up to tighten the bike support up on it ! Don't know how those that are vertically challenged manage !
Have to be very aware that the van is a couple of feet longer when using the rack & not rely on parking sensors when backing up to a wall !
Tailgate is well heavy with one bike on it & closes very fast !!

I know racks seem to be "must haves" but the above comments by Andy definitely puts me right off them. Ours go inside or stay at home. At a push, they can go on the roof (we have two Thule bike carriers) - however, I'd need to rent a crane to get them on and warn air traffic control - the Cali would be about 12ft high!!

How's the bike Andy? Wife was out on her Rockhopper this morning (she's a really good rider and a complete loon oh DH sections!). Had a pleasant ride on mine yesterday having just replaced my brake pads - AGAIN!

I tend to use the second and third slots on ours (and hence have less of a stretch to the fixtures). So I cope pretty easily (the original reason for using the middle two slots was that the pedals are awful close to the window glass otherwise).

Before I did that, it was a stretch. I bought a 'decorators step up platform'. This doubles as a step, a seat a base for the Cobb etc so despite not using it for the bikes anymore it still travels with us.

Hi Mark, I also found the pedals close to the glass in slot 1 & am using 2nd slot, moved the locking mechanism to it as well. Was thinking about a step of some sort.

We've also got a tiny little step that folds flat. £3.99 from one of the high street cheapie shops. Gives about 6" of lift. Never used it though!!

I've ditched the standard VW fittings that fit around the wheels and just use some velcro strap things. I use them to keep the wheels in place and to keep the bike rack in place when the bikes aren't in situ - lots less faff than the original parts. Remind me next time we see you, I've got a bagfull...

Back