Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean, Moulding Fault

So this means every new Cali deliverd from now on gets a free bikerack?

Nice one HC, I've no need for a bike rack with two agility dogs. However, I also have never made a complaint in the past about imperfections on my new vehicle. I have ordered a few bits post original order for my Cali so will have a close inspection and if I find the fault on my new T6 Ocean will see what can be done for the 'additions'. If successful then there will be free wine for those who have helped at Lower Watchamacallit in June... I don't do social media but this is a really good forum. Thanks. :thumb

@greenp could you please be the arbitrator (as you noticed this fault on the T6 and clarify if my van has 'the mark' or not? See pics in 126 and 128. The legitimacy of my van is being called into question and my passage into the fraternity may be denied! Cheers J
Yorkdubshire.... Nope Sorry... can't see it on your pics.... may not be original. ... eBay ??
@greenp could you please be the arbitrator (as you noticed this fault on the T6 and clarify if my van has 'the mark' or not? See pics in 126 and 128. The legitimacy of my van is being called into question and my passage into the fraternity may be denied! Cheers J

We collected our Odean 204 4Motion on Tuesday and thanks to this forum we knew to look for the moulding fault. On handover we pointed this out to the dealer who agreed it was wrong. Rather than go down the route of complaining we decided to have a compromise and the bike rack was thrown in for free.

We now just need to get our heads round this transparent roof canvas!
Very pleased for you.... I have had alot of criticism for pointing this defect out on the forum... But at least you were armed with the info so I'm very pleased I raised the issue.... Wishing you many happy camping trips Paul

New T6 Owners.. FYI
I have noticed a flaw which appears as a crack in the plastic moulding on the passage side 'B' Post ajacent to the passage door window. Purley cosmetic. I have reported this to the dealer who ordered a spare to replace under warranty, however when the spare arrived at the showroom it has the same flaw as the one fitted in my Cali.... also when he checked his California T6 stock those 2 vehicles have the same flaw !! Issue now also taken up with customer service.. Please Check Your.. I will try and post photos... Paul

Nothing to do with your plastic moulding just noticed look to be a keen cyclist. I to am a avid road cyclist located in BC Canada looking to travel to north Yorkshire where my son lives in Leeds.
My wife and I will lease a T5/T6 with the intent to purchase after we have decided what suits our needs. At that time I plan to ride as many KMs as possible hope to see you on the road. Cheers Terry
PS good luck with your plastic moulding!

Very pleased for you.... I have had alot of criticism for pointing this defect out on the forum... But at least you were armed with the info so I'm very pleased I raised the issue.... Wishing you many happy camping trips Paul

Paul,

It has taken me two years to realise the Cali owners are probably the most varied bunch on the planet.

For some it is to do a job, for some to fulfill a function and as long as it does that then ok, for some a project vehicle and the project comes first, for some a "Yippeeee free at last" (my group possibly), for some the only vehicle and a replacement for a cherished vehicle so only the best, for some something that at the price tag is the second biggest investment ever,

You felt you had a problem, you voiced it, and thank you for that. Me? I'm quite Laissez faire, and was even more so until a certain electrical problem came along, others? Well, reactions will differ as we are all different.

For me, sometimes I forgive to much. I do not see it as a defect, I never even noticed it was there, it does not inhibit my enjoyment factor, it is not something that will deteriorate so I can ignore it.

you had a problem you raised it, something that so many accepted may also have contributed even more to the sense of smug, self-satisfied arrogance that typifies VW customer service and the VW dealer response that we, almost as one, are critical of.

For me, not a problem, for you and others, a big problem, for VW Customer service, something to shake, rattle and roll their cosy tree so thank you for that.

f

Last edited:
Paul,

It has taken me two years to realise the Cali owners are probably the most varied bunch on the planet.

For some it is to do a job, for some to fulfill a function and as long as it does that then ok, for some a project vehicle and the project comes first, for some a "Yippeeee free at last" (my group possibly), for some the only vehicle and a replacement for a cherished vehicle so only the best, for some something that at the price tag is the second biggest investment ever,

You felt you had a problem, you voiced it, and thank you for that. Me? I'm quite Laissez faire, and was even more so until a certain electrical problem came along, others? Well, reactions will differ as we are all different.

For me, sometimes I forgive to much. I do not see it as a defect, I never even noticed it was there, it does not inhibit my enjoyment factor, it is not something that will deteriorate so I can ignore it.

you had a problem you raised it, something that so many accepted may also have contributed even more to the sense of smug, self-satisfied arrogance that typifies VW customer service and the VW dealer response that we, almost as one, are critical of.

For me, not a problem, for you and others, a big problem, for VW Customer service, something to shake, rattle and roll their cosy tree so thank you for that.

f

Paul,

f
Thanks for your post GJ... but not a big problem for me either I just raised it as an issue..... Happy Dayzzzzz Paul

Nothing to do with your plastic moulding just noticed look to be a keen cyclist. I to am a avid road cyclist located in BC Canada looking to travel to north Yorkshire where my son lives in Leeds.
My wife and I will lease a T5/T6 with the intent to purchase after we have decided what suits our needs. At that time I plan to ride as many KMs as possible hope to see you on the road. Cheers Terry
Good to hear from you, PM me when you need any info.... I will pass on my mobile number, Do you use STRAVA ?

Yorkdubshire.... Nope Sorry... can't see it on your pics.... may not be original. ... eBay ??
it's starting to look like I have been sold a fake! Ah well at least I have my genuine Lamborghini aventador!?
45f868dbfe826701d70e41214d68f13c.jpg

let me know if a T6 beach would suit, I'm only an hour away from Leeds and 50mins from Manchester airport. You could lease yellow. :)

I find it hard to believe a dealer would just give away a very expensive extra over a very small moulding fault. They are tighter than a very tight tight thing. Well done.

I find it hard to believe a dealer would just give away a very expensive extra over a very small moulding fault. They are tighter than a very tight tight thing. Well done.
I think it would probably depend on how far you have already squeezed there margins. Well done :)

@greenp - yes this moulding mark is on the passenger B post on my T6 Ocean. It was also on other vehicles in the showroom. When I pointed it out to the dealer during handover today, he had clearly been forewarned of this issue and went into what seemed like a prepared script about it being part of the fabrication etc.... After 2.5 hours of handover and all my other questions having been covered I didn't have energy left to argue as he had clearly been given a script to play to and I didn't see I was going to gain anything... But every time I see it I will remember this thread, remember all the support I have received from the forum and how that has helped me so far - and just smile :)

Picked up my new Ocean on Tuesday, will do a write up later as spent a night in it last night. It actually looks worse on the pictures than in person. I don't think I would of noticed it unless I read it on the forum. I'm sure there will be bigger marks and scratches soon! Great van though, well happy.

Picked up my new Ocean on Tuesday, will do a write up later as spent a night in it last night. It actually looks worse on the pictures than in person. I don't think I would of noticed it unless I read it on the forum. I'm sure there will be bigger marks and scratches soon! Great van though, well happy.

Had my T5 three years not noticing this molding fault until someone on this forum started a tread on it ......damn this forum:Nailbiting

Keep looking but can't see the fault. Perhaps I'm oblivious or they sorted it by week 2 build!?

Post 173 - having read this thread from start to finish, I had to go outside and have a look. It looks to me very much like a seam which follows the contours of two pieces of moulding fused together, I don't consider it a fault.
I am personally more concerned about the long scratch on the roof which looks like it has been done with a knife when someone was removing transportation packaging?:(

Ouch - hope you get that sorted quick Vincent :(

Had my T5 three years not noticing this molding fault until someone on this forum started a tread on it ......damn this forum

Well, that's not the worst of it, Hotel California.

Have a look at this...

Water Filler Key.png

Yes, that's right, I found a moulding fault on both of my keys for the water filler cap!

Typical poor quality control from VW !!

I'm thinking of getting on to the dealer and rejecting the entire vehicle!!!

[Sits down with cup of tea while the entire forum membership goes off to check their keys...]

Last edited:
Back