Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean, Moulding Fault

Well I finally put some silicone spray on the driver's side window tonight.

Now that annoys me a little. Passenger side works fine. Driver side.....hmmmm. Judder and drop. Action is horrible and I will have it looked at when it comes up for its first service if it doesn't improve.

Opps wrong thread

I finally got a response from VW Customer Service regarding my queries on the moulding fault and the leaking tail light...

I have spoken to our Brand Support team and they have advised me that there is no known issues with the trim or lights at factory level. All vehicles are checked at the factory and then continue to have regular checks during the stages of transportation, and finally a full pre delivery inspection at the Van Centre.

I finally got a response from VW Customer Service regarding my queries on the moulding fault and the leaking tail light...

I have spoken to our Brand Support team and they have advised me that there is no known issues with the trim or lights at factory level. All vehicles are checked at the factory and then continue to have regular checks during the stages of transportation, and finally a full pre delivery inspection at the Van Centre.

Our T6 leaked from rear upper brake light on the first night we had it... 1 day old.

Our T6 leaked from rear upper brake light on the first night we had it... 1 day old.
Well at least I've logged my issues so if there are problems I can go back to them. Van is currently on its way to the German port...so not long now!!

Still got their heads where the sun don't shine.

Still got their heads where the sun don't shine.

Maybe there should be a poll ' How many replacement high level brake lights have you had?' We had ours replaced at 13 months old as one side was loose and garage seemed to know of the problem.

VW knows about the thirth breaklight coming loos - waterinfiltration problem.
My Dutch dealer warns every buyer to keep an eye on the space that holds the folding camping seats ....if it leaks it is visible in the space where the seats are stored , causing moist and damp . They even told me and i did not bought my Cali there ,i go there for maintenace and accecoirs they don't ow me nothing still they warn me for stuff like that.
Things like the rear light , that molding faulth , roof corrosion ,....do you really think VW is the only brand with quality issues? Nope , but on this community all piles up and gets enlarged as we are freaks....and tread our Cali's as a part of our life....

Last edited:
I'm not surprised by the response. One word....VAG.

We collected our Cali yesterday and sadly we also have the moulding fault :(

We have reported this to the dealer who agrees this is unacceptable, I am just waiting to hear back from them.

Has anyone else got any further with having this resolved or been compensated?

VW Customer service are taking it up with the factory.... but no feedback as yet...

No news here either, hopefully they will get some new tooling made up and get these all replaced. Annoys me every time I look at it :mad:

Think you do good learn to live with that molding fault , i would not let just any ( incompetent) VW dealer replace it ...don't be supprised you get your brand new Cali back with a new part that has the same fault and rattels everywhere , who knows some dirty fingers on the seats , ......god no .....just leave it there and start planning trips instead ....
That " molding fault" to me is the least of my worries .

Think you do good learn to live with that molding fault , i would not let just any ( incompetent) VW dealer replace it ...don't be supprised you get your brand new Cali back with a new part that has the same fault and rattels everywhere , who knows some dirty fingers on the seats , ......god no .....just leave it there and start planning trips instead ....
That " molding fault" to me is the least of my worries .
In my opinion this mold fault is a cosmetic issue, if you choose use it as leverage to get discounted accessories or vouchers or a deal on services whatever suits. Then forget about it as it is a minor problem. A factory fitted part with a mold flaw is better than a replacement good part which might require a partial strip down in a workshop to replace it.

Some owners have only found this on their vans (after years of ownership) after seeing this thread. It is interesting to see how opinions vary on an issu like this and of course all opinions are valid especially after paying a lot of money for the vehicle.

I havent bothered to try and find the fault - so it doesnt bother me in the slightest ....... are you the sort of person who trys to find fault, just so you can be dissatisfied - it does make me smile ...... just imagine all the terrible faults under the skin that you cant see - life is too short imo

I havent bothered to try and find the fault - so it doesnt bother me in the slightest ....... are you the sort of person who trys to find fault, just so you can be dissatisfied - it does make me smile ...... just imagine all the terrible faults under the skin that you cant see - life is too short imo

After all fuffing on the forum re this "fault" I did look last week and FOUND IT. It has been there since birth in 2012 now worried sick off to the GP for sleeping tablets. I agree with Tim . Life is too short to worry about such things

I work in construction.... Enough said

I have looked and can't find it on mine but I have the dark plastic on the bottom half of the van? (If I'm looking in the right place). Don't really think it would bother me but to those that it does, good luck with getting it sorted, fingers crossed for you! :thumb

I've still got mine, bless it.

It's a complete failure. Hasn't stopped me smiling once.

Seven pages so far on a slight flaw in a bit of plastic trim. Outstanding!

It's my bet that it will still be there on the T7.
Perhaps they have ironed out all of the known issues with the transporter / Cali one by one in order of importance such as roof corrosion, excessive piston ring wear, EGR sensor failure and this bit of plastic with a mold flaw is the last one on the list.

We also have this fault, with me being a bit OCD I am not sure I can live with this, I spoke to the dealer yesterday and he has asked me to come over so they can take some photo's.

I paid £53k for this vehicle and I know others will disagree but I expect perfection at that price point, maybe others are prepared to sit back and let VW have the last laugh but I am not!

Back