Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean, Moulding Fault

auction your part off might make enough for a new van
Ok here I have a set of B pillar covers in black with no go faster stripe, who will start the bidding.
610f2bdcac391e5c64fa28d028f0146b.jpg
7c4a5f945bf90c09af14282f416ea592.jpg

In fact I feel left out, I'm off to the dealers to get some with the flaw in them.
Only joking guys and girls, I know how annoying it must be if you can't stop seeing it! As previously said I hope this gets sorted for you.

We also have this fault, with me being a bit OCD I am not sure I can live with this, I spoke to the dealer yesterday and he has asked me to come over so they can take some photo's.

I paid £53k for this vehicle and I know others will disagree but I expect perfection at that price point, maybe others are prepared to sit back and let VW have the last laugh but I am not!
Agree totally with your 2nd paragraph!!!!!
I raised this issue probably because I noticed it 1st on the T6. In no way does it stop me enjoying my Ocean.... many camping trips already and the sun isn't shining yet !!! I think most people disagreeing with the fact we are not happy with VWs quality control must have out of warranty T5s....

Don't disagree that it's totally unacceptable, as it is (we are not out of warranty btw) but about the potential effort required to resolve it and what a 'fix' would require....(still not checked if we have the fault!)....in any event good luck with it :)

Well I will be fascinated to see the outcome of people's complaint, but I am with Hotel, and would worry the damage that could be caused replacing it, having discovered via the forum how little some VW garages know about the intricacies of our beautiful beasts.
It is structurally and functionally sound. It ain't bust so don't fix it

I haven't got a Cali so don't have the fault :) it should be pointed out to VW so that it can be corrected. I personally would not want it replaced if there was any chance of squeak issues , acknowledged and put right would be enough. I find it difficult to believe they don't know and not being an expert in moulding manufacture don't know how easy it is to rectify. Can't be that hard though!

Well I'm at a loss with this one. Can you highlight where I should be looking?
834a8ad48023751c0369257739d2b61d.jpg
f4a6ebaf8031166a1f889493f02f0434.jpg

If you look good , you spot the line where probally the two maulds meet....
On some this line is more visible and not in a straight line...
Thats it no more no less...
I never look at that part ,certainly not when driving ....and not when i sit in the Cali.

I haven't got a Cali so don't have the fault :) it should be pointed out to VW so that it can be corrected. I personally would not want it replaced if there was any chance of squeak issues , acknowledged and put right would be enough. I find it difficult to believe they don't know and not being an expert in moulding manufacture don't know how easy it is to rectify. Can't be that hard though!
I am sure they know but I suspect that to rectify this fault may not be a question of some minor fiddling with the existing tooling but might well require the making of a brand new mould. Given the limited number of Californias sold compared to the high costs of making new tooling it's my guess that it just won't happen.

I can see it - its just towards the top of your first pic at the head rest height
573cec64518b5ce41c9e35ff6c9d3d22.jpg

This doesn't look to be near the headrest or is it just me? Top left is the arm rest adjuster when it is up isn't it?
(This isn't my van it's snowy55's pic from pg. 1 to try and figure out the location)

Last edited:
@greenp could you please be the arbitrator (as you noticed this fault on the T6 and clarify if my van has 'the mark' or not? See pics in 126 and 128. The legitimacy of my van is being called into question and my passage into the fraternity may be denied! Cheers J

We will let you join without the line, Yorkdubshire, because you have already contributed well to the forum. As long as you don't gloat about it and go upsetting those who consider it a serious problem.
But you can't have the tattoo .
You can however use the handshake.

We will let you join without the line, Yorkdubshire, because you have already contributed well to the forum. As long as you don't gloat about it and go upsetting those who consider it a serious problem.
But you can't have the tattoo .
You can however use the handshake.
Cheers Cyclopath, it's so good of you to let me and my skoda in! I promise not to let it go to my head and use it against another forum member.
Just to check is the hand shake like the one Kryten uses in this clip?

QUOTE="wagtailflower, post: 129397, member: 7398"]We also have this fault, with me being a bit OCD I am not sure I can live with this, I spoke to the dealer yesterday and he has asked me to come over so they can take some photo's.

I paid £53k for this vehicle and I know others will disagree but I expect perfection at that price point, maybe others are prepared to sit back and let VW have the last laugh but I am not![/QUOTE]
It might not be a mold flaw after all, it could be a laughter line :bananadance

We collected our Odean 204 4Motion on Tuesday and thanks to this forum we knew to look for the moulding fault. On handover we pointed this out to the dealer who agreed it was wrong. Rather than go down the route of complaining we decided to have a compromise and the bike rack was thrown in for free.

We now just need to get our heads round this transparent roof canvas!

Back