Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New power sock fitted to dash

Re: New power socked fitted to dash

Very informative instructions.

I already fitted the safe in cupboard being based on the information supplied in your blog, thank you.

I have 2007 model so on the top of the radio I have a another glovebox, and I already installed the power socket in the main glovebox, but I am sure many other people will gladly follow your installation guide.
Thank you again.
Andrzej.

New power socked fitted to dash

Thanks, Jamie

Great idea, nicely executed, and brilliantly written-up :thumb

Thanks for taking the time to document it all, especially the really helpful photos.

How long did it take you; 1-2 hours?
Did you get your parts from SMG/your dealer?

Anyone know if minor mods like this invalidate your warranty, if you can prove you took reasonable measures to be sensible?

Cheers,
Steve

You should easily be able to do this mod in 1-2 hours.
I got the parts from my local TPS cost just over £30.

Very impressed by this - wonder how much SMG would charge this because I am not technically minded in any way :(

James

Looks great thank you for sharing.

I would also be interested if SMG offered as a service at a sensible price. Whilst I am sure I could do it, it would probably take me that day to do it well!

Also the Canoeing video of playing on the Tryweryn is amazing. Its 20 years since I last paddled up there and it brought back some amazing memories....

Cheers
Mark

I'm in Gravesend, if you want I'm happy to do this mod for/with you. It would take around an hour.

Good morning Jamie.
I am trying your mod and have all the parts.
I am stuck with removing the ashtray. Tried giving it a good tug but feels like I am using excessive force.
How big a tug is required ?

I did mine a week ago and decided to remove the whole ash tray/cup holder assembly rather than just the 'inner sliding part'. Looked to me like the only way to get the inner part out would be to force and break it.
The whole cupholder assembly is held in by 2 screws but in order to get to them you do need to remove the lower portion of the dashboard and some of the cowling below the gear lever. All looked quite dramatic at one point with lots of dash missing but reasonably straight forward once you know where the screws and clips are. Whole job took me about 2 hours being very careful.
I found details on removing the lower dash on the T4 forum, can look up the links later this eve as its on my home PC.

Appreciated.

Found the link to cupholder removal, there was this comment:
"Basically there are 2 screws either side of the tray, just above the fuse box.
to get to 1 side you have to remove the lower part of the passenger side dash. To remove that there are a couple of screws behind the cover on the end of the dash (open the door to see) The rest of removing that is pretty easy. Also 2 screws inside the fuse box housing.

The other screw on the drivers side is behind the cowl just below the gear stick. You can pull this out just enough so you can get to the screw, But it does tend to eat your hand a little bit.
"

and this link that has a few photos if you scroll down:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167728

All the screws are Torx and the same size & length. It makes more sense when you have the bits in front of you. If not sure on anything I will try and explain.
Owen

luckily mine already has this.. I was a little confused by the 'clip' moulded onto the top on the opposite side and I've made a guess that its for holding the wire on a windscreen mounted device on charge ie satnav or phone in cradle.. very clever

I found the clip on the right of the top of the dash ideal for holding passes and ferry boarding cards.

SMG fitted my 12v top dash socket for around £70 including fitting new top tray and vat

I finished the wiring of this mod at the weekend.

I found the cup holder could be eased out by pulling it fully out and wiggling it gently sideways. the left runner is long and has a sprung bump stop part way down, while the right runner is much shorter. Firm but gentle movement (if that is not a contradiction) will do it.

Alternatively you need to remove the end cap of the dash by the passenger door. It has the air bag disable switch fitted to it so will have to dangle. Then carefully ease off the plastic strip which covers the air bag starting from the door end. This is clipped in, but you might snap one of the clips so be gentle. You then get access to the screws which hold the bottom of the dash. Removing this in turn provides access to the mounting screws for the cup holder. I was shown this method on a demo model in the showroom by a service technician.

What was difficult was placing the wiring connectors so that they did not jam the cup holder. My cabling was wrapped in insulating tape and this is stiffer than the flexible silicone covered cables used on the cup holder socket. So the cup holder does not slide in as well as it used to. I plan to have another go at this when time permits.

A very good mod which tidies up the Sat Nav wiring nicely.

Alan

Thank you Alan.
I'll have a go at wiggling it sideways firmly and gently.
What connectors did you use?

rob

Hi Rob,

I crimped bullet connectors on to the cables but changed the sex of each of them in order to keep the polarity correct.

The VW cable colour coding to the cup holder socket is red and brown (not helpful if you are colour blind!) with the red being the +ve cable. The centre contact at the bottom of the socket is +ve.

I used the blue in-line connectors to connect to the new wiring underneath the cup holder. All of the connectors were blue ones rated at 15Amps as was the cabling.

The fuse for all of the 12 volt power sockets throughout the Cali is in the auxiliary fuse panel under the passenger seat. It is a 15 Amp fuse and on mine (2010 facelift) is to the left of the panel on the centre row on its own.

Apparently the fuse panel varies between vehicles. VW do not make things easy do they!

Hope that helps

Alan

Hi Robo
You have to give it a good tug, i found quick and firmly best.

Hi, does anyone know if the rubber mats that lay in the bottom of the top tray come with new tray?

No the trays mats are separate part to the tray the 2 small ones from the original fit I did not replace the centre one as I fitted a circular disk fof suction mount for tomtom

No they ( the rubber mats ) have to be bought separately . The smaller left and right ones are the same as you have now , only the middle one is different. But vw sell as a pack of all 3 unfortunately. SMG found the part number and supplied mine.

Hi,

Does anyone know if this kit can be wired into the leisure batteries circuit as i would like to use it for charging/powering kit whilst camping? The other 2 12v sockets can be busy charging up other stuff!

Hi,

Does anyone know if this kit can be wired into the leisure batteries circuit as i would like to use it for charging/powering kit whilst camping? The other 2 12v sockets can be busy charging up other stuff!

Could be done , but you need to find a feed from the lesure batt. somewhere under the dash...
If you do so let us know where you found it , don't have a clue ....
Did you know there are three 12v sockets in behind....you could just that thirth:cool:
Or work with a splitter...

I recent put a second on the dash ....feed from the engine batt.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...er-on-the-dash-on-a-lhd-t5.15038/#post-161799

Could be done , but you need to find a feed from the lesure batt. somewhere under the dash...
If you do so let us know where you found it , don't have a clue ....
Did you know there are three 12v sockets in behind....you could just that thirth:cool:
Or work with a splitter...

I recent put a second on the dash ....feed from the engine batt.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...er-on-the-dash-on-a-lhd-t5.15038/#post-161799

Thanks Hotel California

I have plenty of spare room in the dash, but I prefer the extra socket on the top if only to clear up cables for my sat nav whilst on the move as well.

I have found all 3 12v sockets and would like this extra one so i can be powering all of my too many gadgets!

Wish i knew where you could connect to the lesure batts. somewhere under the dash.
Can't recall anyone doing it , alltough i think some here do say the socket on thiere dash is not feed by the engine but the lesure batts.
My dash socket is engine batt. powerd.

Back