Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

It will be welcome news to all of us if we we hear VW are building Californias again. Hopefully it will resume in a week or two.

Looks like VW are starting up the lines again, Wolfsburg will reopen next week and gradually ramp up production on the Golf line from Tuesday 22nd. Other lines will follow and sounds like others sites too except the two plants building EV's which will be shut until early April. There's no specific mention of the California's at Hanover but sounds like Emden has stayed open throughout and has been unaffected.

Most amazingly, the wiring harnesses are still being produced in Ukraine but VW are also increasing production of them elsewhere as a fallback and expect to have them back to normal supply levels within a few weeks.

Looks like VW are starting up the lines again, Wolfsburg will reopen next week and gradually ramp up production on the Golf line from Tuesday 22nd. Other lines will follow and sounds like others sites too except the two plants building EV's which will be shut until early April. There's no specific mention of the California's at Hanover but sounds like Emden has stayed open throughout and has been unaffected.

Most amazingly, the wiring harnesses are still being produced in Ukraine but VW are also increasing production of them elsewhere as a fallback and expect to have them back to normal supply levels within a few weeks.
Our Coast went into build week 9. And then things ground to a halt, with us remaining at Status 20. With things being as they are in the world, an understandable situation. But this is much more encouraging news. Thanks for sharing.

Also build week 9 here - no news except that the dealer thinks it's in production (factory shutdown withstanding). Does anyone know when the factory actually shutdown and is likely to restart?

The idea of a blanket 2 month+ delay for all vans in production is quite strange. Surely a van that was almost complete when the factory closed will be rolled out the door as soon as it reopens. A rolling chassis awaiting looms etc obviously a different challenge.

Also build week 9 here - no news except that the dealer thinks it's in production (factory shutdown withstanding). Does anyone know when the factory actually shutdown and is likely to restart?

To be honest, the only factories reported to have actually closed were initially the two EV plants and then Wolfsburg. They were expecting it would also affect other sites, but I can't find anything to say Emden and Hanover ever closed, in fact it seems Emden stayed open and ran as normal according to that story I posted last night.

Of course, it might be because the media are only reporting on car production and the commercial side of things did stop.

I read somewhere that the California facility was shut for a minimum of 2 weeks with workers on full pay. How reliable that is, I don’t know.

To be honest, the only factories reported to have actually closed were initially the two EV plants and then Wolfsburg. They were expecting it would also affect other sites, but I can't find anything to say Emden and Hanover ever closed, in fact it seems Emden stayed open and ran as normal according to that story I posted last night.

Of course, it might be because the media are only reporting on car production and the commercial side of things did stop.
German news sources were mentioning that the Hanover factory was closed. Only Emden was unaffected.

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/nied...t-zu-Produktionsausfaellen-bei-VW,vw5788.html

German news sources were mentioning that the Hanover factory was closed. Only Emden was unaffected.

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/nied...t-zu-Produktionsausfaellen-bei-VW,vw5788.html

That story is from 1st March reporting that Wolfsburg would be going to reduced production that week, possibly stopped completely the week after. Other sites such as Hanover might be affected with "planning" happening at Emden.

It doesn't say any of them actually closed although we know from later news reports that Wolfsburg did close on the 7th.

Last edited:
Have a provisional build week for my Ocean! Ordered 27 April 2021 in Ireland. Provisional build week 16. If I understand correctly, it’s week of the 18 April 2022.
Just asked the dealer for an update on this. That’s what I got:

I just checked the status of the order there and it is still showing week 14 at the moment.

To answer your question, we have heard of the situation in Ukraine causing delays on certain parts but have not heard of this affecting your own order, if anything changes I will be straight onto yourself.

If I hear of any issues causing delays to your order I will let your know straight away.
So still planned to go into build week of the 4 April. I guess I’ll know soon enough if that’s real or not.

Some good news, for now. Dealer let me know we have moved from a status 00 (Assigned to factory order no production week scheduled) to status 10 (Factory ordered with production week scheduled).

From a factory POV a 10 usually means they then send out orders for all the JIT (just in time) parts to their suppliers. When those parts all come back as confirmed that is generally when a vehicle is solid in the build schedule and likely moves to a 20. I don't know for certain but knowing how the vans come roofless and empty from the nearby T6 plant I would assume a 10 means the van is pretty well scheduled in for build there.

Our confirmed order for a fully loaded Ocean, apart from 4M and tow, was 23rd July 21.

So, our week is tentatively set as W18 - so 2nd May. We were (pre the current issues) told it was a solid "April Build" so a two week delay seems about on par with the way things have been going.

Just awaiting the hallowed 20, production confirmed. He says another full factory update to dealers due next week so will let us know if anything changes. The 10 of course can come forward or go back. C'est la vie.

I watch this thread avidly and the level of conjecture and FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) that is put out from well meaning but hearsay or "I heard" sources has me putting my hands firmly in my pockets many days to stop replies. Luckily I read german too, and their newspaper sources have been pretty reliable, especially NDR.

Good luck to all others out there - having worked with OEM car factory productions systems in an older life these things are pretty complex and while there sometimes seems to be no rhyme or reason behind what is going on, there generally are very good reasons for where each vehicle is sat in the pipeline. Keep the faith...

Last edited:
Some good news, for now. Dealer let me know we have moved from a status 00 (Assigned to factory order no production week scheduled) to status 10 (Factory ordered with production week scheduled).

From a factory POV a 10 usually means they then send out orders for all the JIT (just in time) parts to their suppliers. When those parts all come back as confirmed that is generally when a vehicle is solid in the build schedule and likely moves to a 20. I don't know for certain but knowing how the vans come roofless and empty from the nearby T6 plant I would assume a 10 means the van is pretty well scheduled in for build there.

Our confirmed order for a fully loaded Ocean, apart from 4M and tow, was 23rd July 21.

So, our week is tentatively set as W18 - so 2nd May. We were (pre the current issues) told it was a solid "April Build" so a two week delay seems about on par with the way things have been going.

Just awaiting the hallowed 20, production confirmed. He says another full factory update to dealers due next week so will let us know if anything changes. The 10 of course can come forward or go back. C'est la vie.

I watch this thread avidly and the level of conjecture and FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) that is put out from well meaning but hearsay or "I head" sources has me putting my hands firmly in my pockets many days to stop replies. Luckily I read german too, and their newspaper sources have been pretty reliable, especially NDR.

Good luck to all others out there - having worked with OEM car factory productions systems in an older life these things are pretty complex and while there sometimes seems to be no rhyme or reason behind what is going on, there generally are very good reasons for where each vehicle is sat in the pipeline. Keep the faith...
Thanks for your detailed update. Some positive information starting to filter through. I ordered at the start of June, thinking positivity I should be in a similar situation to you.

My van arrives next week, so it really is moving fast on Beach orders at the moment. Total time from order is 6 weeks, fingers crossed for the rest of you. I will of course post pics when she arrives!
What date did you order your beach ? Just interested as we are in build but they say they now don’t know.

Oh wow, we ordered june first last year and we are still waiting for news, we asked the dealership in south of Germany last week and still no production week is set... We are waiting for a beach edition... starting to make different plans for summer instead of counting on the van :/
Sorry to hear that, I think mine was a freak order as the next beach the dealer had was for an order in June 2020! When I placed it I was told 9-14 months wait, so this took us all by surprise. I haven’t sold my other car yet so it is tricky even to find space to park it but we are very happy to have, it will be worth the wait!

Sorry to hear that, I think mine was a freak order as the next beach the dealer had was for an order in June 2020! When I placed it I was told 9-14 months wait, so this took us all by surprise. I haven’t sold my other car yet so it is tricky even to find space to park it but we are very happy to have, it will be worth the wait!
thats epic!! enjoy it, lovely colour :)

Back