Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway 2016/17

Planning to go all the way to Nordkapp June/July 2017 with a family of four and two collies (one due to be born sometime this week).
Just remember to keep the dogs on leads (check out with tourist info in the area where you are what dates they are required to be on lead). There was a horrific story in the Stavanger Aftenblad late last summer of a farmer shooting a collie - which didn't die instantaneously - about 10m from his owner who was fishing in the river. Thw collies wasn't chasing any farm animals but the farmer had legal right to shoot it off lead. He then went home and came back 10mins later with his apparently 8 year old son to proudly show him what he'd done - whilst the distressed owner looked on.
Sadly the owner was in the wrong as the dog should not have been off lead.
The story ran and ran in the newspaper for obvious reasons...
Don't make the same mistake...

I live up here in a little valley called Beiarn near Bodø. Its a little gem and perfect this time of year if you like fishing. Anyone is welcome to pop in if you are heading this way. We live next to a beautiful campsite too.

Try and stay off the E6 as much as you can (its boring). Kystriksveien is a must along the coast from Just north of Trondheim past the Arctic Circle and onto Saltstraumen (the strongest tidal current in the world). You can get the ferry from Bodø out to Lofoten and then Vesterålen from the there. Amazing!

I'd forget Nordkapp. All the locals know its s**t ;) Plenty more to see around Senja and Tromsø.

We took my UK T4 from Cleveland to Beiarn a few years ago and loved every minute. There is so much to see in the south that most folk never make it up North.

Enjoy.

No need to register , still waiting on the bill , guess they haven't got acces to Belgian licence plates...:D
Heard from other the also did not get a bill ....
Just pay cash if it needs to and the rest will come later ....if lucky not

I got a bill though about 4 months later for about £50 with my happy face on the photo as evidence

Stop it! Stop it! Wish I'd never started this thread, it's like torture... I want to get to northern Scandinavia in Velma! But you have to drive (okay,or train) through so much Europe to get there from the UK. :headbang :headbang

Hoping this initiative to re-start a UK-Norway ferry service gets somewhere:
http://www.startauktonorwayferry.com/solution/

And depending what happens in the Brexit referendum this Thursday, we might need to cosy up more closely to our 'half-in/half-out' Norwegian buddies...;)
The funding fell though last year for a possible resumption of the ferry from Newcastle. There is the freight ferry from Immingham to Breivik near Drammen thats run by DFDS. We tried to use it a few years ago but its a bit hit and miss if they let you on. It was only for armed service traffic when we wanted to go. There was a big NATO operation on in the UK sods law!

I'd forget Nordkapp. All the locals know its s**t ;) Plenty more to see around Senja and Tromsø.

Enjoy.

All I can say is -
Doesn't say much for the Locals then. Which is unfortunate because the people I spoke to were very knowledgeable about Knordkapp, about the tunnel and it's building and history, etc: I suppose it depends what you are interested a "twee valley and boring fishing or a s**t place with more history than many places in the locality".

All I can say is -
Doesn't say much for the Locals then. Which is unfortunate because the people I spoke to were very knowledgeable about Knordkapp, about the tunnel and it's building and history, etc: I suppose it depends what you are interested a "twee valley and boring fishing or a s**t place with more history than many places in the locality".
Wo calm your jets lad. I wasn't being rude. It just seems everyone's aim to get to the same place when there are much nicer places to see. Too much to see really. I'm not a fishing fan myself but most of Sweden some over this time of year as the fishing is so good apparently. Plus the view is much better than Nordkapp
20083a46c45d48b503ac16e574e6d1be.jpg

Agree, unless of course you want to see and visit Nordkapp. :thumb

As far as I can tell, Nordkapp's main claim to fame is being the most northerly point within Europe to which one can drive a car from continental Europe.
Obviously you haven't done too much research then. Lot of history attached to the place. The sea tunnel etc: that replaced the ferry is an engineering marvel. Obviously you know about the King of Thailand's visit and the Museum he bequeathed. The Chapel, the wartime convoys. I could go on but I'll leave you to research it. :thumb

Aye but most folk are only going because of what Crispin Family said and not the history. There's a lot of history with the rest of the roads. We've got the Blood Road Museum in Rognan on the E6 which remembers the building of the roads and railway during the German occupation. Sad but fascinating.

As far as I can tell, Nordkapp's main claim to fame is being the most northerly point within Europe to which one can drive a car from continental Europe.
Let's say the most northern accessible by car. In fact it is not the most northern part :)
We were 2 times in Norway and didn't bother with it. Might get stuck in other places this time as well :)

Okay it seems the merits of Nordkapp are debated!

I'd be very interested through in what those members who have visited Norway would regard as their top three places to include in a Cali itinerary. So far a lot's been said about the far north, but what about the other bumpy and jagged bits on the way? (The bits that Slartibartfast did).

@ArcticMatt your comments particularly please - although I've already heard that Bergen is s**t... :Grin :Grin

I suppose being really pedantic neither Nordkapp or Knivskjellodden are the real true most northerly point of Europe. Neither are actually on the mainland but on the island of Mageraya, now linked to the mainland by a tunnel giving easy access. As the Svalbard island group is also part of Norway should the real north point be up there somewhere? Difficult in a Cali though:)

Exactly. How many people visit Land's End for its rich history? They go with the mistaken belief that it is the most westerly point of the British mainland.
That's their problem.

You could always follow the E1.

Okay it seems the merits of Nordkapp are debated!

I'd be very interested through in what those members who have visited Norway would regard as their top three places to include in a Cali itinerary. So far a lot's been said about the far north, but what about the other bumpy and jagged bits on the way? (The bits that Slartibartfast did).

@ArcticMatt your comments particularly please - although I've already heard that Bergen is s**t... :Grin :Grin

Haha Bergen is great if you like rain! I quite liked Bergen though. I found it more interesting than Oslo. Trondheim is lovely city with the old wooden buildings next to the water and the Cathederal which is as impressive as any in Europe.

Its all to do with how much time you have. If you only have a few weeks then just stay in the south and take it all in. If you have weeks and weeks then maybe you could venture north to Lofoten and Nordkapp. A lot of people underestimate how long it takes to drive places in Norway but dont let that put you off.

On Friday (hopefully) Im off to Lofoten on the ferry and then onto Vesteralen and then onto Senja if we have time. Theres nothing in the world quite like the mountains there in my opinion. A bit like Skye but more of it.

If you check out the Norwegian National Tourist Route signs, it has some well planned routes with brilliant stop off and viewpoints to take in. Thats how I planned my route a few years ago.

Trolltunga was one of my highlights but you need good weather to appreciate it. We waited a coupe of days for the rain to bugger off before we attempted it but sometimes you just have to go. We missed out Kjeragbolten and Preikestolen down near Stavanger due to the weather.

The best thing I did was make my own google map and you can save points you want to visit and then just join the dots :)

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Festvågtinden by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

IMGP0459 by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

The Perfect Road by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Blokktinden fra Jektvika by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

I got a bill though about 4 months later for about £50 with my happy face on the photo as evidence
Been exactly one year now since we been....nothing charged ...

Anybody traveling with a dog to Norway have experience with Colour line ferry Hirsthals-Kristiansand?
They have weird info on how the dog should be transported. Is it allowed on the deck?
I can confirm regarding the Fjordline that you can stay with a dog on that small deck behind. Which is the only one on that small fast ferry.