Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway 2016/17

Anybody traveling with a dog to Norway have experience with Colour line ferry Hirsthals-Kristiansand?
Last time we went to Norway (Summer 2014) we took the Fjordline from Hirtshals to Langesund and they had a 'dog hotel' on the upper rear deck.
AgwWiCRiD5I3-F5IkDjv7yzIK10dgIlLuzcnDKx7UWEdsgNmQfFAqt6wQH_eQnrMXvuKp1Oq_vTB3P5lslZx6MPB7ntHm9pxIXA1WOXp1pUGYyLw604_VUf4hqW6y4twHhP2UPXcDZNR9b4NLTvWB78igPMqvroHkcFnFJXApTadnvJIwLu2EgMga4LXBqe4eeOuMSSTq59nBbqxJOhX1Rlm2fIhpFWWu2Iz0zzZjm9mfP9j8GXdrUEiB2bnOSjWjyjp7Ra7kD22WeFwbYc7VM1qjTX4NrTBT48f1iKtgVhX-wbknbVM3JBi6t9clBIUG0fkE5-h1E1MWjICTSB5Bg4yE-cJG5VbngbwA5IWpX-Z6vc1IDODolSGoS4lupDsa-Z38w8l2DElY5VWNEz14-cyxYp9DA8ydYHdWo7TOoL1xUl00a_j0fyVoE7HjTKXftAzXqEx5J-ap-cJg9_rXkg1p7IvUQblvxLIxxDsb9JhQuXOSOfO0QWInsFxxGk3w46oB7SdSEM2KspNsL73kL5KKGzod6X4uOAAtjb2P0zPYonY6rIs35mqdxPNuSPabE1tCE-ue0O-dC5aA7FwVGlBC2-EN3FQ=w1948-h1298-no

We saw some people with their dogs sitting on that deck, outside the 'dog hotel', there are some picknick benches there.

Our proposed route for five weeks. Ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand and then head north taking in as many of the places we have marked as possible. Not booked anywhere, just going to see where we end up each day and enjoy it.. If we get to the far north then we will just leg it back down through Sweden to the Hook of Holland.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...0&authuser=0&mid=1q-m-XTGMTAihGqgPgPIVxP1mR9Q

Anybody traveling with a dog to Norway have experience with Colour line ferry Hirsthals-Kristiansand?
They have weird info on how the dog should be transported. Is it allowed on the deck?
I can confirm regarding the Fjordline that you can stay with a dog on that small deck behind. Which is the only one on that small fast ferry.
We did it in reverse from Norway to Denmark and then back and left the dogs in the car. So long as you check what time they give access to the car deck to let the dogs out / collect belongings you had forgotten - they should be ok.

My top list of Norway:
1. Trollstigen, geat road and surroundings
2. Prekiestolen, great walk
3. Jotunheimen, nice national park

3. is definitely nice to explore.
1-2 are packed with tourists like seriously.
Was surprised how hyped the Trollstigen was, seen way better roads in Norway without dozens of motorhomes and buses going up and down.

Can recommend to take a kayak or a boat in a Geiranger fjord.
Making it early in the morning can avoid lots of tourists and boats. There is a nice camping right on the shore of the fjord.

If you want to visit nordkapp but don't want to drive this large distance twice, an option can be to take the ferry travemunde -> helsinki, then put the cali on the night train to lapland. Takes a couple of days in total but much less driving.
We might do this in summer 2017.
A route like this http://www.noordeuropa.nl/reizen/finland/noorwegen/noordkaap-lofoten-en-lapland-eigen-auto/
(sorry in dutch - google translate link https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.noordeuropa.nl/reizen/finland/noorwegen/noordkaap-lofoten-en-lapland-eigen-auto/&edit-text=&act=url )
What a great idea!
We're desperate to go to Norway but don't want to drive all the way.
We didn't even know this was an option.
Brilliant tip thanks

What a great idea!
Brilliant tip thanks
Also another idea which I got from Steinarontour, he just came back from Nordkapp but didnt want to drive there and back so he put his van on the Hurtigruten all the way up to very top. Its not cheap but I think he worked out it about broke even price wise and the Journey up by boat is pretty special.

Also another idea which I got from Steinarontour, he just came back from Nordkapp but didnt want to drive there and back so he put his van on the Hurtigruten all the way up to very top. Its not cheap but I think he worked out it about broke even price wise and the Journey up by boat is pretty special.

We went on the Hurtigruten boat cruise from Bergen up to Kirkenes in November 14 and considered driving up one way and Hurtigruten the other. Looked at the price and decided it was too expensive.
Can definitely recommend the twelve day cruise up from Bergen to Kirkenes and back though. Fantastic in November with the snow around really setting off the mountains. At that time of year it cost us about £2k for the pair of us including flights to Bergen and all meals on the boat. The Hurtigruten boats are the lifeline of the small ports in winter when the roads are closed. Calls at thirty two ports in the twelve days.

We went on the Hurtigruten boat cruise from Bergen up to Kirkenes in November 14 and considered driving up one way and Hurtigruten the other. Looked at the price and decided it was too expensive.
We read on the German forum that seemingly it is much cheaper to ferry your Cali from Kirkenes to Bergen than the other way around. You have to check the Hurtigruten site carefully for the schedule: not all boats take cars.

What a great idea!
Brilliant tip thanks
Yes I think it's a great trip. Still thinking between this plan (already visited the area 3 times, twice in winter) and Iceland (already visited 3 times as well, twice in winter) for summer 2017.

Last time we were there in summer, we took the plane in Tromso to Svalbard and stayed there (camping!) for 4 days. Left the car in Tromso, took only bare essentials.
Svalbard was great.. and it's a relatively cheap flight being inside Norwegian borders. After you've seen Norways northernmost land, the beautiful svalbard, I've lost interest in seeing Nordkapp. Never went there.

There was a time when Smyril Line (ferry denmark -> iceland) also had a route from Scrabster (UK) to Bergen... Good for those living in the UK. Or for us Belgians, who could leave to iceland from the UK, and return via Denmark.

There was a time when Smyril Line (ferry denmark -> iceland) also had a route from Scrabster (UK) to Bergen
And between Scotland and Iceland... All a long time ago, though!

If anybody taking Hirtshals-Kristiansand Fjordline cat. That's a very fast small ferry. There is a sad limitation of 1950mm for the cheapest rate. Afraid none of the Calis will fit in that unless with air suspension.
I've measured 1995 highest point. Doubt can lower 4,5cm with any tricks.
Price difference is 50 euros to get into next category 2200mm :(
Anyway can recommend a nice naturist camping isefjar.no in Kristiansand.
Right on the shore of a small fjord and handy on the way back to catch the ferry. Just 20 mins ride to the port.

If anybody taking Hirtshals-Kristiansand Fjordline cat. That's a very fast small ferry. There is a sad limitation of 1950mm for the cheapest rate. Afraid none of the Calis will fit in that unless with air suspension.
I've measured 1995 highest point. Doubt can lower 4,5cm with any tricks.
Price difference is 50 euros to get into next category 2200mm :(
Anyway can recommend a nice naturist camping isefjar.no in Kristiansand.
Right on the shore of a small fjord and handy on the way back to catch the ferry. Just 20 mins ride to the port.
We took the fjordline ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand a few years a ago and it was just the normal ferry. Not sure weather they alternate or if its just a cat now. We stayed in the Kristiansand camping but it was a little bit scabby for Norway standards.

Last 2 years it was just a small cat on that connection. The only bigger one from Color line.
Seems cheaper with lowest category 2meters. But not clear about dogs.
leaving a dog in a car for over 3 hours a bit worrying.

I live up here in a little valley called Beiarn near Bodø. Its a little gem and perfect this time of year if you like fishing. Anyone is welcome to pop in if you are heading this way. We live next to a beautiful campsite too.

Try and stay off the E6 as much as you can (its boring). Kystriksveien is a must along the coast from Just north of Trondheim past the Arctic Circle and onto Saltstraumen (the strongest tidal current in the world). You can get the ferry from Bodø out to Lofoten and then Vesterålen from the there. Amazing!

I'd forget Nordkapp. All the locals know its s**t ;) Plenty more to see around Senja and Tromsø.

We took my UK T4 from Cleveland to Beiarn a few years ago and loved every minute. There is so much to see in the south that most folk never make it up North.

Enjoy.
hi ArcticMatt, im coming for 4 or 5 weeks fishing at the beginning of August. Norway sea fishing and back through Sweden for some fresh water fishing.
Im researching at the moment routes and locations. Id be very grateful if you can share any fishing experience, locations, campsites etc.

I went to Sandbakken in April via flight for fishing..Brilliant.

will definately pop in for a coffee!

hi ArcticMatt, im coming for 4 or 5 weeks fishing at the beginning of August. Norway sea fishing and back through Sweden for some fresh water fishing.
Im researching at the moment routes and locations. Id be very grateful if you can share any fishing experience, locations, campsites etc.

I went to Sandbakken in April via flight for fishing..Brilliant.

will definately pop in for a coffee!
No problem at all. I'm no fisherman at all but Beiarn where I live is a big for Salmon and Trout fishing. The season just opened last week and we get people from Sweden and Finland coming over to fish. I wouldn't have a clue about sea fishing though.

How far north are you coming? The sea fishing around Lofoten is supposed to the best.

Stopped all over in a mixture of wild spots and campsites. NAF campsites are the best ones and they have their own guide. Thats the Norwegian AA. I can make a list where we stopped if you like? :thumb

There is a brand new viewpoint opened today at Gautarfjell (I may have mispelt that). It's a concrete structure that allows you to step out over the drop... Pics on Stavanger Aftenblad look great. I'm in iPhone so having trouble linking but can firs up the laptop later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Last 2 years it was just a small cat on that connection. The only bigger one from Color line.
Seems cheaper with lowest category 2meters. But not clear about dogs.
leaving a dog in a car for over 3 hours a bit worrying.
I did colorline when living in Norway - they have a time when you are allowed access to car deck to let the dogs out - might be good to check they still do...

Yes I think it's a great trip. Still thinking between this plan (already visited the area 3 times, twice in winter) and Iceland (already visited 3 times as well, twice in winter) for summer 2017.

Last time we were there in summer, we took the plane in Tromso to Svalbard and stayed there (camping!) for 4 days. Left the car in Tromso, took only bare essentials.
Svalbard was great.. and it's a relatively cheap flight being inside Norwegian borders. After you've seen Norways northernmost land, the beautiful svalbard, I've lost interest in seeing Nordkapp. Never went there.

There was a time when Smyril Line (ferry denmark -> iceland) also had a route from Scrabster (UK) to Bergen... Good for those living in the UK. Or for us Belgians, who could leave to iceland from the UK, and return via Denmark.
We want to go in the Cali.
Iceland in August in 1996 was amazing, not in a cali though!

Last edited:
No problem at all. I'm no fisherman at all but Beiarn where I live is a big for Salmon and Trout fishing. The season just opened last week and we get people from Sweden and Finland coming over to fish. I wouldn't have a clue about sea fishing though.

How far north are you coming? The sea fishing around Lofoten is supposed to the best.

Stopped all over in a mixture of wild spots and campsites. NAF campsites are the best ones and they have their own guide. Thats the Norwegian AA. I can make a list where we stopped if you like? :thumb

super, that list would be great. Im setting off on 28th July and will head north to Nordkapp, just to say ive been :). Apart from that I have no concrete plans.:bananadance