Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway 2016/17

[QUOTE=".
.[/QUOTE]
Depending where you are travelling from - Newcastle to Ijmuiden or Harwich to Hook of Holland might shorten the route on the other side.

Yes, food, etc. in Norway is expensive. And wine is only available from vinmonopolet's open at certain times - but the quality of wine is worth the price (in 10 years I never had a bad wine experience).

Look out for local produce (there will be fruit stalls at the side of the road this time of year with cherries, strawberries, pears, etc. depending on where in Norway and what's in season). The stalls also often sell other local veg at good prices.

If I was going, I'd not stock any tins and force myself to go ask what's in season and really live the life as a local. I don't think you'd be hungry or disappointed. I rather think you'd be welcomed and find it inspiring.

Ha en god tur !

[QUOTE=".
Depending where you are travelling from - Newcastle to Ijmuiden or Harwich to Hook of Holland might shorten the route on the other side.

Yes, food, etc. in Norway is expensive. And wine is only available from vinmonopolet's open at certain times - but the quality of wine is worth the price (in 10 years I never had a bad wine experience).

Look out for local produce (there will be fruit stalls at the side of the road this time of year with cherries, strawberries, pears, etc. depending on where in Norway and what's in season). The stalls also often sell other local veg at good prices.

If I was going, I'd not stock any tins and force myself to go ask what's in season and really live the life as a local. I don't think you'd be hungry or disappointed. I rather think you'd be welcomed and find it inspiring.

Ha en god tur ![/QUOTE]

That all makes sense.
In terms of ferries, I'd be travelling from Hampshire so Harwich is okay although it does present the seasick problem. I believe the ferry from Newcastle is no longer operating but I'm not sure.

Calais to Hirtshals is about 790 miles. We do Calais to the Pyrenees, about the same distance, in a day but it's a lot easier to do the Hook of Holland which saves about 140 miles but the ferry is a lot longer.
Just depends how you are driving long distances, probably work on a couple of days if you aren't pushed for time with an overnight in Germany.

Beat me to it Sid, Correct, Newcastle ferry is no more or we would be using that rather than Harwich as Newcastle is easier for us to get to and would save driving time over there. Shame.

Ha en god tur !

That all makes sense.
In terms of ferries, I'd be travelling from Hampshire so Harwich is okay although it does present the seasick problem. I believe the ferry from Newcastle is no longer operating but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]
I don't think you read my post correctly, or I mis typed... The ferry from Newcastle to Stavanger was stopped some years ago you are right (the port over there was charging too much to make it economical). But Newcastle to Ijmuiden still exists and I will be following that route with the Cali and dogs in a few weeks.

- It appears that our best route is likely to be to use the Channel Tunnel, then to Hamburg and north to Hirtshals and ferry to Kristiansand. I gather there is more than one operator on this route including a fast cat and that a 2m high Cali will cost about 50EU more as it falls into the 2.2m category. I need to investigate booking this ferry on the basis that we've no idea how long it'll take to get there from Calais..
You can stay overnight near the Hirtshals to sync with Channel.
A second ferry is Colorline that can be a bit cheaper for the Cali. ~90eur

If you want go no north quick, drive through sweden. The E6 highway is really slow in Norway.
Food invrestaurants is usually quite bad and really expensive.

Oh, we are going tomorrow )
I like italian IndelBs.
A level of Waeco at lower prices. http://www.indelb.com/products/automotive/travel_box
Using just floating vests and staying the distance from the shore I can make without a boat :)
ok so these are more of a fridge rather than a freezer. I have a fridge in the cali so maybe I just use that and eat the catch fresh rather than freezing.

Looks idyllic. Really looking forward to it. Your reply has allayed fears about camp sites. Can I assume wild camping is legal (like Scotland) then?

Ehm...
In Scandiavia there is an old law called 'Allemansrätten' (I presume it can be translated to everyman's right). This allows you to walk over and camp on (for max 2 days) about every spot you can imagine as long as it's not marked 'private'. This right goes back to the times that people had to travel several days to get to the next town and the trip would have been much longer if you had to avoid farmers properties.

This right is highly valued in Scandinavia and is still valid but does not include campers, caravans, cars, motorbikes etc. Just who is on foot or bike (horse..?) can roam freely and even pick flowers, berries and mushrooms. Hunting is not included and fishing is often regulated by permits but that is often easy to find out by the signs on parkings near the water.

However - if you keep low profile, keep the place where you are camping clean and leave no traces of your stay it's perfectly OK to pick your spot. If you feel uncomfortable somewhere you can always ask (if you find somebody) if it's OK to stay for the night. I have never got 'no' for an answer.

I presume this is more or less the same as in Scotland (never been there yet) and Ireland where I met an Irishman who parked his campervan in front of a 'no camping' sign. When I asked him he said: 'this is the Irish solution for an Irish problem'. And 'The sign will give the authorities the right to send you away but if you are not starting a party and light your BBQ, nothing will happen'.

When I was on the motorbike in Sweden, some 30 years ago, and it was raining badly we asked a farmer if we could put our small tent on the meadow near the river and where instantly invited in his house. Another occasion I was invited to put my tent on the lawn because that was so much flatter than the meadow.

(I hope this is all readable English. It looks OK for me but we are well known, if not famous, for speaking and writing Dunglish and expecting you to understand it.)

Last edited:
That all makes sense.
In terms of ferries, I'd be travelling from Hampshire so Harwich is okay although it does present the seasick problem. I believe the ferry from Newcastle is no longer operating but I'm not sure.
I don't think you read my post correctly, or I mis typed... The ferry from Newcastle to Stavanger was stopped some years ago you are right (the port over there was charging too much to make it economical). But Newcastle to Ijmuiden still exists and I will be following that route with the Cali and dogs in a few weeks.[/QUOTE]
You are right. I didn't read it properly. I will investigate this. Thanks.

Ehm...
In Scandiavia there is an old law called 'Allemansrätten' (I presume it can be translated to everyman's right). This allows you to walk over and camp on (for max 2 days) on every spot you can imagine as long as it's not marked 'private'. This right goes back to the times that people had to travel several days to get to the next town and the trip would be much longer if you had to avoid farmers properties.

This right is highly valued in Scandinavia and but does not include campers, caravans, cars, motorbikes etc. Just who is on foot or bike (horse..?) can roam freely and even pick flowers, berries and mushrooms. Hunting is not included and fishing is often regulated by permits but that is often easy to find out by the signs on parkings near the water.

However - if you keep low profile, keep the place you are camping clean and leave no traces of your stay it's perfectly OK to pick your spot. If you feel uncomfortable somewhere you can always ask (if you find somebody) if it's OK to stay for the night. I have never got 'no' for an answer.

I presume this is more or less the same as in Scotland (never been there yet) and Ireland where an Irishman parked his campervan in front of a 'no camping' sign. When I asked him he said: 'this is the Irish solution for an Irish problem'. And 'The sign will give the authorities the right to send you away but if you are not starting a party and light your BBQ, nothing will happen'.

When I was on the motorbike in Sweden, some 30 years ago, and it was raining badly we asked a farmer if we could put our small tent on the meadow near the river and where instantly invited in his house. Another occasion I was invited to put my tent on the lawn because that was so much flatter than the meadow.

(I hope this is all readable English. It looks OK for me but we are well known, if not famous, for speaking and writing Dunglish)

Yes, that all makes sense. :) Information like this is very useful and reassuring. Thank you.

The funding fell though last year for a possible resumption of the ferry from Newcastle. There is the freight ferry from Immingham to Breivik near Drammen thats run by DFDS. We tried to use it a few years ago but its a bit hit and miss if they let you on. It was only for armed service traffic when we wanted to go. There was a big NATO operation on in the UK sods law!
We are booked on the Brevik Ferry on the 24th July this year, it takes very few non commercial vehicles and we had to wait till last Monday to confirm we had a place. Saves a lot of driving, at a price. £540 (one way) for us plus the van, a cabin and all food over a 28 hour period.

Thanks for all the guidance, opinions and advice so far. It's been really great and I'm feeling a lot more confident about booking this for next year. From what's been said so far and from what I can see on Google Maps. Can anyone add to this or maybe contradict?

- It appears that our best route is likely to be to use the Channel Tunnel, then to Hamburg and north to Hirtshals and ferry to Kristiansand. I gather there is more than one operator on this route including a fast cat and that a 2m high Cali will cost about 50EU more as it falls into the 2.2m category. I need to investigate booking this ferry on the basis that we've no idea how long it'll take to get there from Calais.

- The alternative route using the big bridges is a long way round and possibly not so interesting.

- Once in Norway, there are tolls for some roads, tunnels and bridges. Many tolls are avoided if taking 'scenic' routes and taking time. Tolls can be paid for in advance with a 300NOK down payment at first use and any unused payment is eventually refunded.

- There is no problem with finding space on camp sites and wild camping is okay.

- I gather that refills for the Gaz bottle might be difficult. I'm not sure about frequency of fuel stations.

- Food can be expensive and it's worth taking a lot of 'basics' from home.

- I assume mainstream credit cards are accepted universally. I have no info about cash machines.

- I guess Google Translate will be very useful.
Using the Euroshuttle it is 1,125 miles to Oslo and according to Google 18hrs driving. When I went North I stopped around Hamburg and Copenhagen. Personally I found the drive interesting and had 2 lovely campsites enroute. But then I enjoy driving and don't see it as a hardship. Some of the bridges are magnificent examples of engineering if you're into that sort of thing and the California is made for long distance travel.

We are booked on the Brevik Ferry on the 24th July this year, it takes very few non commercial vehicles and we had to wait till last Monday to confirm we had a place. Saves a lot of driving, at a price. £540 (one way) for us plus the van, a cabin and all food over a 28 hour period.
that doesnt seem too bad a price. Saves 1000 miles also on the van.

A question for those that have travelled the length of Norway...

Is it wise to take a large fuel can...say a 20 litre gerry can or are fuel stations plentyful?

Is it wise to take a large fuel can...say a 20 litre gerry can or are fuel stations plentyful?
It's not the 3rd World. I never had any problem.

thanks alot about the fuel stations.

No problem at all getting fuel. They even have Tesla Superchargers widely spread across the country.

Yep , we passed one last year , shame my hook-up cable did not fitted or we stayed the night.....:D
image.jpeg

This thread is EXACTLY what this forum should be about.
It warms the cockels of my heart.Thank you chaps.

Using the Euroshuttle it is 1,125 miles to Oslo and according to Google 18hrs driving. When I went North I stopped around Hamburg and Copenhagen. Personally I found the drive interesting and had 2 lovely campsites enroute. But then I enjoy driving and don't see it as a hardship. Some of the bridges are magnificent examples of engineering if you're into that sort of thing and the California is made for long distance travel.
Agreed. I think that, if you're driving a long way, it's important to make the journey enjoyable too.

I think ferry operators object to extra fuel cans (even empty ones).