Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway 2016/17

I've been reading this thread with considerable interest. I know there's bound to be a range of opinions about a whole variety of issues but threads like this are very helpful to me for information and planning.
I have just begun my research for a trip to Norway next year. So far, I've made a list of questions and spent time reading stuff on the web. The first few questions on my list are very general, I expect they'll become more specific later. I have only driven on Mainland Europe once.
- What route for crossing to mainland Europe from southern UK? (Sea sickness sufferer).
- What route up to Norway? Would like to make the journey interesting too.
- What about tolls for bridges, tunnels & roads?
- What about ferries? Costs? Booking?
- What are the 'must see' places to visit?
- How many weeks should I allow for a satisfying first visit?
I have found some bits within the thread but it's difficult to extract them from conversations.
Thanks.

We bought a Norway guidebook and went through it to find places we want to visit. Then checked them out in the net and also had lots of useful info from Hotel California and others on here. I guess your only option if you don't like ferries is the Tunnel and drive up through Denmark and Sweden to avoid ferries.
We have also got info from people writing blogs which is good because it is up to date.
How long you go for is up to you and your circumstances. We are going for five weeks, I'm retired and the other half has managed to get five weeks off in one go but I would have thought three weeks is a minimum to enjoy it without wearing yourself out driving all the time.

A

As posted by Sp0-0k on Page 2 of this Thread.

More useful info on the tolls. You can register online at https://turistportalen.csautopass.no/english#
Enter your credit card. 1nok is charged on contract creation. Then after the 1st toll gate you get a 300nok charge to the balance and next 300 if it is used up.
When you leave country you get remaining balance back on card during 3-4 months.
Tested the system and it works fine. Though you can avoid majority of toll roads in Norway.

This system is optional and you can get the toll charges by post at your home address automatically. Tough there might be some extra charges involved.
Sorry, missed earlier posts.

Thanks. This seems like a sensible system.
Does this mean that tolls for tunnels, roads and bridges are all on one system? (Unlike UK)

Okay, next question. Are there any toll roads/bridges/tunnels on the route to Norway (i.e. through Sweden, etc.)?

@Old Sid
Did you read Paul's ( Welshgas) tread or mine , we both went last year doing a diffrent trip giving lots of info.
We did a diffrent route as WG and think giving answers to some of your Q's in our treads.

Thanks. I'll trawl back though the earlier posts. I got a bit lost in the conversations.
:)

So having lived in Stavanger for 10 years I still haven't been to Lofoten or seen Nordkapp - and not because we went abroad for our holidays. We found there was so much to see in the south west (I usually drove and was told to stop on every corner by my ex who himself was a Brit who had lived there 20 years already). So don't be too dictated by "I must see this" and just see where the weather takes you. You will not be disappointed.

Hmmm. We've been looking at the map and a guide book. Looks like there's going to be scenery overload without having to go very far north so I can see what you mean. I guess, once in Norway, we can amble around as we please.

Sorry, missed earlier posts.

Thanks. This seems like a sensible system.
Does this mean that tolls for tunnels, roads and bridges are all on one system? (Unlike UK)

Okay, next question. Are there any toll roads/bridges/tunnels on the route to Norway (i.e. through Sweden, etc.)?
1. Yes, except for a few which are Manual only so a toll is paid in cash, but very few so I gather.

2. Apart from " The Bridge ", TV series, from Denmark to Sweden I didn't come across any Toll roads/Bridges/Tunnels in Sweden.

What is your 'style' of travelling? Do you want to drive every day, make a walk now and then, visit highlights?
I do not plan my trips from day to day. I just enjoy being out there. If you are doing a highlights-trip and put hot-spots like Trollstigen, the church of Lom, Jostedalsbreen and Røros on your list, you will probably end up between busses full of Chinese and Indian tourist.

Just take your time, talk to local people and use a proper map to find the roads left and right of the E6 to the Nordkapp instead of the tom-tom style. Norway is an enormous country and there is so much more than the top-ten.

I had 4 weeks to drive almost 7000km and I feel that is about the minimum. If I only had 6 weeks...

I didn't sign up for the toll - they will track your licence and send you a bill afterwards.

It sounds as if you've got a sensible approach. I guess we'll just move on whenever. I'm assuming we'll not need to book camp sites then?

We bought a Norway guidebook and went through it to find places we want to visit. Then checked them out in the net and also had lots of useful info from Hotel California and others on here. I guess your only option if you don't like ferries is the Tunnel and drive up through Denmark and Sweden to avoid ferries.
We have also got info from people writing blogs which is good because it is up to date.
How long you go for is up to you and your circumstances. We are going for five weeks, I'm retired and the other half has managed to get five weeks off in one go but I would have thought three weeks is a minimum to enjoy it without wearing yourself out driving all the time.

Thanks. We have bought a guidebook and a map. A list of places is beginning to emerge but there's nothing like opinions from real people to sort the wheat from the chaff.
I'm happy to do short ferry crossings or maybe an overnight where I can sleep. Otherwise it is, as you say, the Channel Tunnel and a much longer drive on the mainland side.
5 weeks sounds like a good choice. We will hope to give it that amount of time too.

This is going to be a massive leap in the dark.

It sounds as if you've got a sensible approach. I guess we'll just move on whenever. I'm assuming we'll not need to book camp sites then?

I've never booked a camping in my life. Campings in Scandinavia are mostly quite open structured (so not a numbered parking-lot style) and I don't think you will ever find a camping that has no place left to park a campervan for the night.

A California camper is fully equipped to spend the night out there - isn't it?
And Scandinavia is very safe.

IMG_1469.jpg

Last edited:
To tell for truth was fishing just in 2 rivers. Definitely can recommend this camping and river https://www.google.cz/maps/place/Ki...x7daead4748c26ff2!8m2!3d58.4666979!4d7.795819
Small trouts but tons of them. They don't grow big there. Even got a dwarf salmon a tasty one. Cost just 50nok a day. Or like 100-150 a week. (can buy at camping reception) Can fish right from the camping shore.
Got like 15 trouts in half a day.
I'm mostly fjords fishing. Pilkering on 50-300meters depth from my inflatable canoe or rented boat.
Did you know there are some fjords with 1,3 kilometer depth? Insane feeling sitting in a small canoe with that abyss underneath ;) Or dragging a fish from 500 meters below.
Sea fishing in Norway is insanely easy. Literally anybody can do that.
A small girl was playing in one camping on the fjord's shore with pole and got a big fish ;)
More than that you can get all the decent fishing equipement in Norway at fair price. Got a ready for fishing Abu Garcia rod in supermarket there for 250Nok. Still using it

thanks for the info really useful. was you spinning for the trout?

My first experience of the pilking was in Sandbakken in April in the fjords and I have to say ... im hooked. Ive also bought an inflatable hobie kayak so will be taking that with me.

Which route did you take..im guessing that you came from CZ?

Yes. We are taking a ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand and then go straight North.
Took 2 bridges once and this is an awfull way unless you want to visit Oslo.

Yes. We are taking a ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand and then go straight North.
Took 2 bridges once and this is an awfull way unless you want to visit Oslo.

I always thought about the south of Norway as less spectacular. What a mistake!
When we didn't want to drive all the way back through Sweden, we decided to book the ferry Kristiansand / Hirtshals back. We took the road east of the Hardangervidda to Haukligrend following the 9 to Kristiansand. The opposite direction should be quite as scenic. Just take your time...

Just stay away from main roads as mentioned earlier here and you will drive with your mouth open almost in any part of Norway.
We booked Colorline in the end, they have a small car category under 2meters. Be aware that Cali most probably doesn't fit into the smallest 1,95m category on a Fjordline's cat. 2,20m category is at least 50eur extra. Though I loved that fast cat ferry. :(
I measured 1,98m on mine and after the call was informed that there is almost 0 height tolerance for the category.
Both have ~10-12eur discount if you register as a free fjordclub member.

Just stay away from main roads as mentioned earlier here and you will drive with your mouth open almost in any part of Norway.
We booked Colorline in the end, they have a small car category under 2meters. Be aware that Cali most probably doesn't fit into the smallest 1,95m category on a Fjordline's cat. 2,20m category is at least 50eur extra. Though I loved that fast cat ferry. :(
I measured 1,98m on mine and after the call was informed that there is almost 0 height tolerance for the category.
Both have ~10-12eur discount if you register as a free fjordclub member.
just booking the cat now :D

100 euro each way depart 25th July

im going for 2.35 high as i will be putting the thule cage on the roof for the blowup kayak

Ah I see. I managed to pack all inside even without a bike rack ;) Inflatable canoe, motor, batteries..2 fridges )
2seater beach takes insane amount of stuff in.
We might even meet up there and do some fishing. :D Got a ferry on Thursday and staying couple days at Kristiansand Isefjarfjorden. Then going straight North.
Can definitely recommend this camping for sea fishing. http://www.magnillen.no/
We'll stay 2-3 days there and most probably at Geiranger on the way.

Ah I see. I managed to pack all inside even without a bike rack ;) Inflatable canoe, motor, batteries..2 fridges )
2seater beach takes insane amount of stuff in.
We might even meet up there and do some fishing. :D Got a ferry on Thursday and staying couple days at Kristiansand Isefjarfjorden. Then going straight North.
Can definitely recommend this camping for sea fishing. http://www.magnillen.no/
We'll stay 2-3 days there and most probably at Geiranger on the way.

great lets do that. I will head to the campsite you recommended, stay a few days and head to Bodo area.

Departure date:
Travel route:
Hirtshals-Kristiansand 23.30 25.07.2016

Will get there about 3am i guess.

any thoughts on a good 12v freezer for the fish ?

sp00k do you use a dry suit with the blowup kayak in norway or just waterproofs. just wondering weather to buy or not.

I've never booked a camping in my life. Campings in Scandinavia are mostly quite open structured (so not a numbered parking-lot style) and I don't think you will ever find a camping that has no place left to park a campervan for the night.

A California camper is fully equipped to spend the night out there - isn't it?
And Scandinavia is very safe.

IMG_1469.jpg

Looks idyllic. Really looking forward to it. Your reply has allayed fears about camp sites. Can I assume wild camping is legal (like Scotland) then?

Thanks for all the guidance, opinions and advice so far. It's been really great and I'm feeling a lot more confident about booking this for next year. From what's been said so far and from what I can see on Google Maps. Can anyone add to this or maybe contradict?

- It appears that our best route is likely to be to use the Channel Tunnel, then to Hamburg and north to Hirtshals and ferry to Kristiansand. I gather there is more than one operator on this route including a fast cat and that a 2m high Cali will cost about 50EU more as it falls into the 2.2m category. I need to investigate booking this ferry on the basis that we've no idea how long it'll take to get there from Calais.

- The alternative route using the big bridges is a long way round and possibly not so interesting.

- Once in Norway, there are tolls for some roads, tunnels and bridges. Many tolls are avoided if taking 'scenic' routes and taking time. Tolls can be paid for in advance with a 300NOK down payment at first use and any unused payment is eventually refunded.

- There is no problem with finding space on camp sites and wild camping is okay.

- I gather that refills for the Gaz bottle might be difficult. I'm not sure about frequency of fuel stations.

- Food can be expensive and it's worth taking a lot of 'basics' from home.

- I assume mainstream credit cards are accepted universally. I have no info about cash machines.

- I guess Google Translate will be very useful.