Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean 6.1 roof not “auto correcting”

K

Kernowboy

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I can only imagine that any software update is associated with the auto correct. But it shouldn’t be sagging enough for the auto correct to be required in that time anyway. Simple hydraulic system with what should be a simple interface. Any faults should be easy to identify and fix. Really poor, you have every right to be ‘not happy’.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Yes, was initially told it should just be a software update, they then needed to keep the van longer as they were ordering in new hydraulic rams so I assume they were fitted.

pjduffill

pjduffill

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Been on camp for in Cornwall for 10 days. After day 6 roof has started to drop each day. (the heat wave) Bellows flap!

Seems to do it more day than night (heat related?) not experienced any auto correction.

My fear is that I have a topper wrap (when turned outwards has the reflective surface to repel sun) However, the wrap has two rods ( steel I think) up the front to provide support.

1: the roof dropping either causes the rods to bend? (Not an issue)
2: the roof dropping causes the rods to damage roof? ( issue)

obviously taken the wrapper off presently.

my 21 ocean - no recall notification (may be at service?)

happy days!

Last edited:
ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Been on camp for in Cornwall for 10 days. After day 6 roof has started to drop each day. (the heat wave) Bellows flap!

Seems to do it more day than night (heat related?) not experienced any auto correction.

My fear is that I have a topper wrap (when turned outwards has the reflective surface to repel sun) However, the wrap has two rods ( steel I think) up the front to provide support.

1: the roof dropping either causes the rods to bend? (Not an issue)
2: the roof dropping causes the rods to damage roof? ( issue)

obviously taken the wrapper off presently.

my 21 ocean - no recall notification (may be at service?)

happy days!
During the period when the roof is sagging are you operating the ignition at all?
The auto correct checks 10 hours after switching off ignition then every 5 hours. So if you use the ignition key the “countdown” starts from zero. At least that’s how it operates on the T5

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I am sure the T6.1 checks more frequently, I heard it twice last night and had turned the ignition on at about 9pm to retention the roof.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I am sure the T6.1 checks more frequently, I heard it twice last night and had turned the ignition on at about 9pm to retention the roof.
Does it not give the times in the “California Supplement “?
In mines it’s tucked away in an “information“ para.
Why they set it at 10 and 5 hours is a mystery!

pjduffill

pjduffill

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Changed site yesterday, set up at 14:00 by 21:00 had the flappy bellows.

Turned on ignition at 21:00to drop roof slightly then go back up. Currently15hrs on and bellows still taught from last night.

I don’t keep the key in ignition other than if resetting the roof. I don’t have ignition on.

The sun is rising on the left of the van and sets on the right, the van roof is very hot, I’m convincing myself that seals in the hydraulics may so hot that the pressure is weeping through the seals a little?

Dodge1311

Dodge1311

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Changed site yesterday, set up at 14:00 by 21:00 had the flappy bellows.

Turned on ignition at 21:00to drop roof slightly then go back up. Currently15hrs on and bellows still taught from last night.

I don’t keep the key in ignition other than if resetting the roof. I don’t have ignition on.

The sun is rising on the left of the van and sets on the right, the van roof is very hot, I’m convincing myself that seals in the hydraulics may so hot that the pressure is weeping through the seals a little?
Hi,

I also convinced myself of this heat "fact" until i read an old thread and realised i had been operating the roof incorrectly. I had been advised at handover that i stopped pushing the control knob when the sound of the motor changed at the fully open or closed prompt. This was indeed incorrect advice and i should have been waiting until total silence so that the reservoir's were full. ( "i was continually getting sag on the left hand side even after just a few hours"). I followed the advice to fully raise and lower 4 times only stopping when the motors ceased and bingo no sag since not even after 24 hours. Last three trips its been perfect, so it was user all along for me.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

I also convinced myself of this heat "fact" until i read an old thread and realised i had been operating the roof incorrectly. I had been advised at handover that i stopped pushing the control knob when the sound of the motor changed at the fully open or closed prompt. This was indeed incorrect advice and i should have been waiting until total silence so that the reservoir's were full. ( "i was continually getting sag on the left hand side even after just a few hours"). I followed the advice to fully raise and lower 4 times only stopping when the motors ceased and bingo no sag since not even after 24 hours. Last three trips its been perfect, so it was user all along for me.
Interesting! I release at the change of motor sound and always sag a little.
I will try the button to the end method.

pjduffill

pjduffill

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Dodge,
Hi,

dodge,

I’ll give that a whirl thank you.

I had no handover or dealer follow up. I pressed until the motor changed noise and then stopped as appeared taught.

duff

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I’ve always held the button till the noise stops completely, never had a hint of a sag or even heard the roof adjusting in 7 years of the old van.

It was suggested that the software update on the T6.1 was to make the roof adjust more frequently. It shouldn’t need it at all if it’s working correctly.

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I’ve always held the button till the noise stops completely, never had a hint of a sag or even heard the roof adjusting in 7 years of the old van.

It was suggested that the software update on the T6.1 was to make the roof adjust more frequently. It shouldn’t need it at all if it’s working correctly.
Hi not sure if the update was actually for the auto adjustment from what I have been told the update stopped the issue with the roof freezing ie not been able to lower which in my case has worked ,I had a chat with the local dealer today.My take on it is the roof will sag in time and more so in hot weather that is the nature of a hydraulic cylinder but the sag should be even.Also they tell me no auto correct function exists which is strange they say the roof will sag over time but when it happens it should be manually corrected from the control panel ,the key is to hold the up button till the noise stops.

Morsels

Morsels

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Having had the software update and new hydraulic rams for the roof last week, first day of a weeklong trip to the lakes today & I can report that between putting the roof up at about4pm and trying to turn on the roof lights at 9pm one side of our roof has sagged enough for the lights to cut out and the control panel to show “intermediate position “
It’s not going to stop our break but I’m not happy☹️
Sorry to hear than Andy. We are on holiday too and our roof is hitting that intermediate position after just a couple of hours sometimes, lights not working etc. It autocorrects sometimes twice in the night! Surely cant be right? I wish we'd gone for a mechanical roof now and body-swerved the electrical one entirely.

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Sorry to hear than Andy. We are on holiday too and our roof is hitting that intermediate position after just a couple of hours sometimes, lights not working etc. It autocorrects sometimes twice in the night! Surely cant be right? I wish we'd gone for a mechanical roof now and body-swerved the electrical one entirely.
This is my concern the dealers don’t know enough, big worry clearly the auto correct is available

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
It should need to
That sounds exactly like ours, ours is only passenger side that sags, about 3 hours till it’s dropped enough for the lights to cut out.
I don’t accept that it’s heat or even seepage from the rams. If my old van worked in Spain for days at a time without a hint of sag there’s no reason that the new van shouldn’t.
If it needed both sides correcting by a small amount after a day or so when the day / night temperatures were vastly different I could accept that.
I also retention the roof to level it before lowering, despite that one side comes down quicker than the other.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
The Hydraulic motor will cut out when fully pressurised. The motor noise will change as it approaches the cut out point.
Whether going up or down hold the button until motor stops automatically.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Have decided that temperature is not a factor with the sagging.
Returned to site around 9pm yesterday, by 11.30 roof had sagged on one side enough for the lights to stop working.
The auto correct function kicked in at about 7 am.
No sun involved and temperature fairly constant over that time.